Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah that's nuts.  I think more likely three #1 picks.  Maybe two #1's with a lot of change added to it, 

Rodgers will not let the team acquiring him to empty their resources. Give and take for both sides. 

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

We have discussed on here about some DL being expendable, and Rivera essentially said they are looking at the roster and considering assets that could potentially be moved. That was my interpretation when he discussed ways in which we can acquire a QB. That would imply to me that we intend to set our sights high initially.

Actually those assets should be traded; even if we don’t use them in a trade for 

Qb. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah that's nuts.  I think more likely three #1 picks.  Maybe two #1's with a lot of change added to it, 

The ONLY thing I'd point out in comparing him to Watson ... Rodgers is a GOAT level GOAT. Watson has Top 5 potential but is not Rodgers caliber by any means. BUT, in acquiring Rodgers, you're looking at what ... 2-4 years? With Watson you could be getting 10-12+ easy ... Of course the guys pulling the trigger on these deals are most definitely NOT thinking about 2032 by any means, but I would think the remaining usable years might be factoring in here ...

For Rodgers, I'd think #11 and a 2023 1st would be the minimum. For Watson I would think #11, 2023 1st, and a top caliber player would be the minimum.

10 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Rodgers will not let the team acquiring him to empty their resources. Give and take for both sides. 

Another good point here, Rodgers won't waive his no trade or agree to a trade unless the team has resources to win and he's not about to go to a team that is A) not good or B ) lacking resources. Will be interesting to see how that plays out. Maybe that's why the 1+3 is a reality? If the Packers like what they have in Love, they might value a 2023 pick over a 2022 pick given 2022 could end up being an assessment year for the team, to see what they have in Love. Then use 2023 draft for QB if Love busts. So many moving variables, and if I had to put any $$ on it, I would bet on Love getting moved not Rodgers, with picks acquired for Love going to improving the team for A-Rod ...

8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The ONLY thing I'd point out in comparing him to Watson ... Rodgers is a GOAT level GOAT. Watson has Top 5 potential but is not Rodgers caliber by any means. BUT, in acquiring Rodgers, you're looking at what ... 2-4 years? With Watson you could be getting 10-12+ easy ... Of course the guys pulling the trigger on these deals are most definitely NOT thinking about 2032 by any means, but I would think the remaining usable years might be factoring in here ...

For Rodgers, I'd think #11 and a 2023 1st would be the minimum. For Watson I would think #11, 2023 1st, and a top caliber player would be the minimum.

I think Rivera thinking about next 2 years. Syder wants this rebranding to go well. But I don't think we are getting Rodgers.

Edited by Redskins 2021

I could see Rodgers possibly going for a bit less than Watson and Wilson, just because of his age. If you get Watson you might be getting an elite franchise QB for the next 10 years. With Wilson possibly for the next 5-6, but with Rodgers there's no telling how soon his age will catch up with him. You could get an elite QB for 3 years, you might get one for 0.

On the other hand, Rodgers is undoubtedly one of the best to ever play, so there's that. But I have a hard time with giving up 3 1sts for a guy who might not even last 3 years.

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I could see Rodgers possibly going for a bit less than Watson and Wilson, just because of his age. If you get Watson you might be getting an elite franchise QB for the next 10 years. With Wilson possibly for the next 5-6, but with Rodgers there's no telling how soon his age will catch up with him. You could get an elite QB for 3 years, you might get one for 0.

On the other hand, Rodgers is undoubtedly one of the best to ever play, so there's that. But I have a hard time with giving up 3 1sts for a guy who might not even last 3 years.

I'm a bit weary of Wilson too. People forget he came into the league and turned 24 his rookie year. He's going to be 34 this season. Not ancient, but for a QB who is reliant on some of his mobility and has seen a downward trajectory in his play in recent years, he's probably the last player on the list that I would want.

1. Watson - 10+ years of Top 5-10 QB play, mobile

2. Rodgers - 2-3 years of likely elite play

3. Wilson - Solid option that should make you a playoff contendor for the nxt 5 years

Important to note, though, that Watson was the 12th pick in a "down" draft for QBs. Mahomes was the 10th pick in the same draft. Rodgers was the #2 pick off the board in the 20's his draft year. Wilson was a 3rd round pick.

If you think there's a guy in this draft that can be that, you prioritize that. Unfortunately we are in a win-now mode, so the veteran is likeliest option, but obviously hitting on a R1 QB without giving up significant draft capital would be the best way to build the team from a pick and cap standpoint, BY FAR.

From a pure talent evaluation standpoint I have NO idea how this year stacks up to 2017 BUT I am getting similar 2017 vibes. I remember very distinctly in January or February watching First Take or something at the gym and them talking up Mitch Trubisky, but talking about how he wasn't the #2 best prospect and none of the QBs were really worthy of that level of investment, but QBs would be driven up the board because of need. And the debate was whether Trubsiky or Watson was the top guy, no real chatter about Mahomes other than him possibly being a mid round guy with upside. Seems like the same thing this year ... no sure-fire #1 guy ... and 4-5 options that could fall throughout the 1st round with no (yet) concensus.

2. Trubisky

10. Mahomes

12. Watson

If there's a QB that Ron and Co really like this year and they can be had at #11, that's obviously the most preferable path. Pair him with a Trubisky or another veteran so there isn't a pressure to start right away, and I think that's the ideal path, but also the least predictable and controllable option.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

Supposing we got someone like Trubisky, went aggressive in the draft, and traded up with the Jets in the 4th spot. It would cost our 1st (1,250), 2nd (470) and 4th (80) to match the Jets' 1st (1800).

I've got two questions.

If we offered our 1st round pick from next year (instead of this years 2nd and 4th) is the value based on us finishing 11th again and so would be half of 1,250?

If we offered a player (Sweat or Payne for instance) instead of our 2nd and/or 4th, how is that players' points value determined, is it just negotiated between the teams involved or is there some kind of league accepted value?

They probably seem like stupid questions to some of you, but I've always wondered about them.

Also, I've just realised that this should probably go in the draft thread, but I've typed the damn thing out now.

32 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I'm a bit weary of Wilson too. People forget he came into the league and turned 24 his rookie year. He's going to be 34 this season. Not ancient, but for a QB who is reliant on some of his mobility and has seen a downward trajectory in his play in recent years, he's probably the last player on the list that I would want.

1. Watson - 10+ years of Top 5-10 QB play, mobile

2. Rodgers - 2-3 years of likely elite play

3. Wilson - Solid option that should make you a playoff contendor for the nxt 5 years

Important to note, though, that Watson was the 12th pick in a "down" draft for QBs. Mahomes was the 10th pick in the same draft. Rodgers was the #2 pick off the board in the 20's his draft year. Wilson was a 3rd round pick.

If you think there's a guy in this draft that can be that, you prioritize that. Unfortunately we are in a win-now mode, so the veteran is likeliest option, but obviously hitting on a R1 QB without giving up significant draft capital would be the best way to build the team from a pick and cap standpoint, BY FAR.

From a pure talent evaluation standpoint I have NO idea how this year stacks up to 2017 BUT I am getting similar 2017 vibes. I remember very distinctly in January or February watching First Take or something at the gym and them talking up Mitch Trubisky, but talking about how he wasn't the #2 best prospect and none of the QBs were really worthy of that level of investment, but QBs would be driven up the board because of need. And the debate was whether Trubsiky or Watson was the top guy, no real chatter about Mahomes other than him possibly being a mid round guy with upside. Seems like the same thing this year ... no sure-fire #1 guy ... and 4-5 options that could fall throughout the 1st round with no (yet) concensus.

2. Trubisky

10. Mahomes

12. Watson

If there's a QB that Ron and Co really like this year and they can be had at #11, that's obviously the most preferable path. Pair him with a Trubisky or another veteran so there isn't a pressure to start right away, and I think that's the ideal path, but also the least predictable and controllable option.

From a raw talent perspective IMO this class doesn't stack up to the 2017 class. That year there were plenty of boom-bust QB prospects with lots of talent but there were questions about whether their games would translate to the NFL. Obviously with Mahomes and Watson it did...with Trubisky it didn't. My friend who's a Bears fan practically cries every time anyone mentions that draft class.  :ols:

This class I think is a bit more polished than 2017, but doesn't have as much upside. The outlier there is Willis, but as a passer IMO Willis right now is far behind where Mahomes and Watson were when they came out.

8 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I could see that but I can't imagine if they could get Wilson or Rodgers they would not take them.

Oh they would for sure.  As a note, they've requested permission to interview Greenbays OC for the HC job.  Sneaky good move...LOL

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Plus no team is going to give up more than 2 ones for him. I wouldn’t be surprised if Aaron just ups and quits in a year or two 

4 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Rich people when they learn an NFL team is finally up for sale, only to realize it's Denver...

Counter-point: Aaron Rodgers could buy the team and trade for himself. After all, he is worth only a 1st and 3rd round pick.

Edited by NickyJ

8 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Plus no team is going to give up more than 2 ones for him. I wouldn’t be surprised if Aaron just ups and quits in a year or two 

That my worst fear with him 5 games in he decides to retire. That would be typical Washington luck.

Edited by Redskins 2021

4 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Thats what my fear is with him and Wilson. Rodgers is kind of going nuts or a mid lifer and Wilson appears a little chubby and sleepy. LOL

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Could be but most owners want to be involved in signing off on "big" contracts and trade assets.  

A major QB move defines your franchise  for the next several years, so I would certainly expect an owner to want some involvement or at least sign off.

You also gotta wonder how the current GM, Patton I think, will operate sans oversight. Is this free time to wheel and deal as you see fit, or do you reserve yourself. How confident are you in your own position if a new owner is coming in? Can you safely morgage your future, when you own future is unsecure? Odd situation there.

• Like 1