Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Im not buying the Packers trading Rodgers after how bad Love has looked in spot duty this season.  Thats franchise suicide to do that.

They could take our 1st plus theirs plus whatever else we give them to trade up for Pickett/Corral/Howell/Willis/whomever this year

Just now, CapsSkins said:

They could take our 1st plus theirs plus whatever else we give them to trade up for Pickett/Corral/Howell/Willis/whomever this year

Take a risk on a rookie QB when you already have an MVP caliber one? 

Nah, Love was taken with 26th pick barely two years ago, hell, Rodgers was selected with the 24th.  Its more likely the Packers stand pat with their pick no matter where it is, even if they have to move on from Love.  

Besides, Love is 23, it might be early to say hes a bust, but he damn sure aint ready to take over right now.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Take a risk on a rookie QB when you already have an MVP caliber one? 

Nah, Love was taken with 26th pick barely two years ago, hell, Rodgers was selected with the 24th.  Its more likely the Packers stand pat with their pick no matter where it is, even if they have to move on from Love.  

Besides, Love is 23, it might be early to say hes a bust, but he damn sure aint ready to take over right now.

I haven't watched one second of Love play so I have no idea where he's at but Aaron is 38 and if he decides he's done in GB, he's done in GB. It's not really up to them so might as well trade him and get a rich haul then watch him retire and lose him for nothing. He holds all the cards.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I haven't watched one second of Love play so I have no idea where he's at but Aaron is 38 and if he decides he's done in GB, he's done in GB. It's not really up to them so might as well trade him and get a rich haul then watch him retire and lose him for nothing. He holds all the cards.

Hes under contract, unless he retires or holds out, hes playing in Green Bay next year.  Hes been done with them multiple offseasons now, its like groundhogs day for them, another day that ends in "y", so what?

From ryan (@ryloose): Is the idea of Watson to Miami dead?

Ryan, the answer is no. Deshaun Watson’s desire to play for the Dolphins, as I’ve heard it, was bolstered by Brian Flores’s presence there. But that was hardly the only thing Miami had going for it—there’s also a good core group on the roster, cap flexibility to allow for guys to come with the quarterback, no state income tax and, yes, the simple fact that it’s South Florida (which helps in getting guys to want to join him).

Ultimately, I think it’s probably dangerous at this point to go off last year’s assumptions.

Last year, maybe he didn’t like the idea of going back (close to) home and joining the Panthers, but could the right offensive coordinator get him to come around? Does the year the Eagles just had under Nick Sirianni improve their standing in his mind? And the Broncos don’t even have a coach right now, which seems relevant.

In the end, if clarity comes on his legal situation, then I think there’ll be plenty of suitors for Watson, and my guess is that Watson would reassess where every team involved stands. And remember, he has a no-trade clause, which can help him steer the process.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/01/12/mailbag-brian-flores-firing-deshaun-watson-trade

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Hes under contract, unless he retires or holds out, hes playing in Green Bay next year.  Hes been done with them multiple offseasons now, its like groundhogs day for them, another day that ends in "y", so what?

This is completely inaccurate. Rodgers said he wanted out for the first time last offseason, and the team and he reworked his deal so that he would return for this season. The contract restructure makes it so they can deal him without a big net cap hit and allows Rodgers to walk away without having to pay back bonus money. It also means it becomes a 1 year deal after this season, and he can't be tagged afterwards. It also puts Green Bay way over the cap in 22 without Adams under contract.

The whole thing was set up so they either have to get Rodgers to agree to a new contract or be crippled by the cap. And, if they somehow managed it, and Rodgers didn't simply walk away, they'd then lose Rodgers for nothing in a year.

If Rodgers wants out this offseason, he's gone. It's 100% up to him.

• Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Rodgers has also never dealt with an owner before. Than comes to Dan with Dan likely wanting to be the jock sniffer he is and Rodgers tells him to go Eff himself 

Historically speaking, players have loved Dan. If anything, it would be a plus. Even Trent made explicitly clear his beef was not with Dan.

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I'm a broken record but if we just added a couple of more weapons on offense I think we have the QB to win. Add a Deebo and Kittle like SF has to our offense, commit to running the ball and we are in business as long as our defense plays the way it should. I know it's hard to find guys like this but SF plays a smashmouth brand of football and we have that kind of offensive line based on the PFF stats. We really missed Logan Thomas this season and not getting a thing out of Curtis Samuel really hurt too. IF, IF, IF....we can't upgrade at QB then I would spend a large part of that cap money we have on the best playmakers, offense and defense that I could get. Deebo Samuel and George Kittle make Jimmy G a better QB without question. I think that can happen here if we spend wisely.

What makes you think Kyle Allen is the guy, though?

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

This is completely inaccurate. Rodgers said he wanted out for the first time last offseason, and the team and he reworked his deal so that he would return for this season. The contract restructure makes it so they can deal him without a big net cap hit and allows Rodgers to walk away without having to pay back bonus money. It also means it becomes a 1 year deal after this season, and he can't be tagged afterwards. It also puts Green Bay way over the cap in 22 without Adams under contract.

The whole thing was set up so they either have to get Rodgers to agree to a new contract or be crippled by the cap. And, if they somehow managed it, and Rodgers didn't simply walk away, they'd then lose Rodgers for nothing in a year.

If Rodgers wants out this offseason, he's gone. It's 100% up to him.

Rodgers has been disgruntle with that organization going all the way back to McCarthy.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/packers-aaron-rodgers-timeline-expressing-discontent

Just because his contract is set up the way it is, does not mean the Packers will trade him, even if he says he wants to leave. Word on the street is they are dead set on bringing back Rodgers and Adams, even if that means cap casulties galore.

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2022/01/05/it-sounds-like-the-packers-might-run-it-back-with-a-rodgers-extension-and-adams-on-the-franchise-tag/

Its pretty clear Packers are going to go down swinging to keep Rodgers because they know they in the gutter without him.  Preventing the franchise tag was more likely to prevent a hold out then setup for a trade. 

Anyway, whats the offer they cant refuse that another team like the Giants cant match or beat? Not one id want us to make.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Rodgers has been disgruntle with that organization going all the way back to McCarthy.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/packers-aaron-rodgers-timeline-expressing-discontent

Just because his contract is set up the way it is, does not mean the Packers will trade him, even if he says he wants to leave. Word on the street is they are dead set on bringing back Rodgers and Adams, even if that means cap casulties galore.

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2022/01/05/it-sounds-like-the-packers-might-run-it-back-with-a-rodgers-extension-and-adams-on-the-franchise-tag/

Its pretty clear Packers are going to go down swinging to keep Rodgers because they know they in the gutter without him.  Preventing the franchise tag was more likely to prevent a hold out then setup for a trade. 

Anyway, whats the offer they cant refuse that another team like the Giants cant match or beat? Not one id want us to make.

Honestly, it's laughable to imply that Rodgers having occasional beefs with McCarthy is the same as him wanting out of GB "multiple offseason in a row". Everything else in that article is the Love draft pick and the NFC Championship game last year, both of which lead to last offseason's demands.

I honestly don't what point you think you're making by posting an article suggesting the Packers and Rodgers might agree to a contract extension in the context of claiming that if Rodgers demands a trade they wouldn't give in to it. Completely irrelevant.

We are looking for an elite QB via trade in a market that unusually has teams like Pittsburgh and New Orleans looking for a QB.  

Our battle is cut out for us already just being a haven for sexual harassment, with busted pipes and broken barriers, a dumpster headquarters, a field known for eating acl’s for breakfast, with Dan Snyder in charge.

Typically, teams of the Saints and Steelers caliber aren’t in the market for a QB.  I just don’t see how we end up being the destination an elite QB chooses.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Pr will be terrible. Unfortunately, that will be no different then usually for this franchise.

If he beat the criminal case and reaches settlements with other cases how long do you think NFL suspension would be.

Watson would be the wrong move for this franchise. After all the sexual harassment issues and you bring  sexual predator as your starting qb?

I think Watson is mute for this year anyway. I don’t think his legal/ criminal issues will be wrapped up this year.

As for a suspension; my guess 8-9 games at minimum.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Honestly, it's laughable to imply that Rodgers having occasional beefs with McCarthy is the same as him wanting out of GB "multiple offseason in a row". Everything else in that article is the Love draft pick and the NFC Championship game last year, both of which lead to last offseason's demands.

Quote me where I said he wanted to be traded multiple offseasons. 

What the article points out is that his frustration with his coaches and the front office has been public and ugly for years now, this is nothing new.  At some point he was done with McCarthy and was overriding his plays to the point he was confusing his teammates.

If the way you took what I said as he was requesting trades multiple years by saying he was done with them, I get why you'd think that.

26 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I honestly don't what point you think you're making by posting an article suggesting the Packers and Rodgers might agree to a contract extension in the context of claiming that if Rodgers demands a trade they wouldn't give in to it. Completely irrelevant.

Did you read the article or listen to the interview?  Its clear theyd rather take the risk of him walking after the 2022 season then going into the 2022 season without him, last hooray or not.  They went into 2021 thinking it might be the last rodeo, but not anymore.

Its looking like Packers are determined to push it back a year, even if it means gutting the roster to keep Rodgers and Adam's for 2022.  If you're going to say thats a tough spot to be in, then I post an article that shows they plan to do it anyway, its not irrelevant. 

The Packers have changed their minds about trading Rodgers, likely out of fear of what they have in Love and not wanting to draft two first round QBs in three offseasons. Can you blame them?

19 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Quote me where I said he wanted to be traded multiple offseasons. 

You responded to this:

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

With this:

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't understand how you'd even think "he was really frustrated with McCarthy a couple of times" becomes relevant to the conversation or backs up what's the clear implication of what you said, but whatever. Nothing more to say about it.

19 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Did you read the article or listen to the interview?  Its clear theyd rather take the risk of him walking after the 2022 season then going into the 2022 season without him, last hooray or not.  They went into 2021 thinking it might be the last rodeo, but not anymore.

Its looking like Packers are determined to push it back a year, even if it means gutting the roster to keep Rodgers and Adam's for 2022.  If you're going to say thats a tough spot to be in, then I post an article that shows they plan to do it anyway, its not irrelevant. 

The Packers have changed their minds about trading Rodgers, likely out of fear of what they have in Love and not wanting to draft two first round QBs in three offseasons. Can you blame them?

Yes I read it and listened to the clips in it. None of it says what you're claiming. It's all predicted on Rodgers extending his contract.

Edited by Rufus T Firefly

So I'm going to bring a name back into this. What about Kellen Mond? I'm mainly saying this if we can't get a QB in the draft or if we choose to go with a vet like Trib or Mariota and bring in Mond to learn behind them? 

I know he didn't get the opportunity last year but I've always been intrigued. 

https://zonecoverage.com/2021/minnesota-vikings-news/kellen-mond-shows-improvement-over-preseason/

Kellen Mond Shows Improvement Over Preseason

The Minnesota Vikings’ offense limped through most of the preseason. Whether it was Kirk Cousins, Jake Browning, or rookie Kellen Mond at quarterback, sustained drives were few and far between. In fact, through 10 quarters of preseason football, the Vikings’ offense had yet to even score a touchdown.

Browning appeared to have the inside track to the backup quarterback job when preseason began, but he regressed with each game. Mond, the third-round developmental rookie, hadn’t done enough in his first two games to show that he had supplanted Browning on the depth chart. However, he also didn’t do anything to show that he didn’t deserve to be above Browning on the depth chart. He had only completed 12-of-28 passes for 114 yards, but he hadn’t turned the ball over. It wasn’t pretty, but as a third-rounder, it was to be expected.

That changed Friday night when Mond came in to begin the second half against the Kansas City Chiefs. Browning had stunk up the first half in relief of Cousins, only going two-of-eight for 41 yards. Mond didn’t inspire much confidence on his first drive, sailing a pass over fellow rookie Zach Davidson‘s head. However, replay showed that Mond may not have been completely at fault for the pick. Although the ball was high, Davidson didn’t put much effort into jumping for the ball.

Kellen Mond pick on what APPEARS to be a catchable ball for Zach Davidson. Up for debate pic.twitter.com/OLscDhMvfq

— Sean Borman (@SeanBormanNFL) August 28, 2021

Mond responded the following drive, completing three passes for 19 yards and scrambling for a first down on fourth-and-five. One play later, A.J. Rose took a pitch 32 yards for the Vikings’ first offensive touchdown of the preseason. Mond’s ability to shake off the interception was impressive and isn’t an easy task for young quarterbacks. His first-down scramble came after he dropped back, read the coverage, and saw an opening. Scrambling wasn’t his first instinct like it can be for mobile quarterbacks.

Finally stretching the ball downfield, Mond opened up the Vikings’ offense on Friday. Outside of the interception on the first drive, Mond found success in both the intermediate (10-19 yards) and deep game (20-plus yards). He hit his lone deep pass, connecting with Whop Philyor on a 29-yard strike down the right sideline. He connected on four-of-five passes in the intermediate game for 81 yards.

Kellen Mond with plenty of time finds Whop Philyor pic.twitter.com/Rr7773RoIZ

— Sean Borman (@SeanBormanNFL) August 28, 2021

This was a stark contrast to Mond’s previous two games. In the first preseason game against Denver, Mond was only one-of-six in the intermediate passing game for 13 yards. He didn’t even attempt a deep pass all game. Last week against Indianapolis, he was one-of-three in the intermediate game and one-of-two in the deep game. Whether it was a change in the offensive scheme or reading the defense better, Mond was calmer in the pocket yet more aggressive in his decision-making.

Under Mond, the Vikings closed a 28-10 second-half deficit with a defensive touchdown (capped with a Mond completion on the two-point conversion) and another drive ending with a Rose touchdown run. In a game where Minnesota lost 28-25, there weren’t a ton of positives, but Mond was one of the brighter spots. Although he also added a fumble (he was hit from behind while throwing), he turned in his best performance of the preseason.

#Vikings QB Kellen Mond w/ the perfect precision pass. The best part of this is the touch & timing. He throws the ball well before the WR breaks to the corner. Great route patience & throwing the WR open vs waiting. Maybe Mond is QB2, he just needs more time to learn & adjust. pic.twitter.com/n3DQ8PRwZl

— Ron Johnson (@3RonJohnson) August 28, 2021

From here, Minnesota should be able to make the smart decision and move Mond above Browning on the depth chart (or possibly cutting Browning altogether). Mond had more production in the second half of the final preseason game than Browning had in all three preseason games combined. Browning only completed 39.4% of his passes for only 4.7 yards per attempt. Mond’s ability to run also separated him, as he scrambled nine times for 68 yards, picking up five first downs.

Mond’s draft status also projects a higher potential than the previously undrafted Browning. Even if the Vikings’ coaching staff could somehow convince themselves that Browning is the better quarterback right now (which would be a mistake), Mond is sure to surpass him by a clear margin sooner than later.

Minnesota may still need to add a veteran quarterback as Mond could still be too raw at this point to be counted on to be the emergency quarterback. But the rookie showed improvement from his first preseason snap to his last. This should give the Vikings hope that their third-round investment in him can one day pay the dividends they envision

Edited by Thinking Skins

The Denver stuff has a major overhang about how the QB is so essential to winning argument.  The amount of angst coming out of that team on that front has been relentless as the season ended.

The whole lets win without a QB thesis IMO is disputed the best by arguably one of the best defensive coordinators in the league, Vic Fangio.  That team is loaded everywhere.   Yet they couldn't win.  Remember all the hype about how loaded the Browns roster is?  One of the best O lines.  Running games.  Pass rush.  They got it all.  But no QB, no playoffs.  Fangio flat out said the QB is why they couldn't do it -- other teams in that division have better ones, etc.

I think the lets win without a QB argument is hitting dinosaur status.   Jay Gruden of all people I think explained it well in a recent interview, you can have a one off season without the QB when all the stars align right or some games but it doesn't quite last. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 11.47.33 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

In terms of free agent QBs, I think the standard is Alex Smith. Any QB we sign we should believe should have as positive impact on the team as Alex. 

I can’t decide if that’s a high standard or not. I don’t think Tribusky meets it though. Marriota might, but I’m not sure. Rogers and Wilson obviously exceed it. 

If the plan is the draft, then I don’t think we need a free agent signing or trade. Heinike is fine as a back up or even placeholder starter. He’s proven, in my eyes, to be a high end back up and low end starter. His stats bare that out, putting him in the 20’s in most categories.