Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I think he is at point where he is hoping to play...and if possible, it be a decent team. I mean, lets face it, the Giants have a few weapons and their OL stinks

If Bienemy goes to NYG I wouldn’t be surprised to see a cleared Watson with NYG.

They were debating this on 106.7.  For me pass on Wentz.  

Eagles have made mistakes but I'll give them they've killed it over the years when they've unloaded QBs.  Bradford, McNabb, Kolb, Wentz, heck even back further Feeley.  When have we killed it in a trade where there was a draft pick involved?

• Sad 1
  • Thumb up 2

The New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles are both obvious candidates at this point to offer the most for Watson. Both parties could offer 2 selections in this year’s draft in addition whatever assets the Texans’ may desire. The relative success of Jalen Hurts this season may force the Eagles to run it back with a more talented roster in 2022, but it’s safe to say the Daniel Jones experiment in New York can be called a failure.

Would Philadelphia be willing to move on from Hurts, who brought them to a surprise playoff berth behind a great run game, at the cost of losing their opportunity to totally transform their roster with the multitude of first round picks they have? If coach Nick Sirianni is out on the second-year signal caller, maybe they do feel comfortable pulling the trigger.

Would a new general manager in New York be comfortable mortgaging the future for Watson? His appearance in the NFC East would automatically elevate the team to contention and the weapons in Saquon Barkley, Kadarius Toney and Kenny Golladay could thrive in combination with his playmaking skills. Meanwhile, Houston could rapidly accelerate their rebuild with two guaranteed high selections. Seemingly a win-win.

Outside of Philadelphia and New York, other suitors would be unable to offer multiple firsts this year. This likely creates a situation similar to Miami where 3 first round picks would be required. Atlanta, although seemingly flailing during year one of the Arthur Smith era, is unfortunately locked into Matt Ryan’s contract and out of the Watson sweepstakes. Similarly, despite appropriate draft capital, the New York Jets are likely committed to seeing through the development of Zach Wilson beyond his struggles this year.

That leaves Pittsburgh, Denver, Carolina, and the Washington as the remaining “obvious” trade candidates. All would have to pay a heavy price due to their inability to trade multiple picks this year and the assuming decreasing value of all future picks due to the presence of Watson on the team. None of these destinations are near as large or as sexy as playing quarterback in Miami, would that appeal to someone who seems Hell bent on playing in a glamor city?

Would Watson allow this kind of bidding war to happen just to weaken his future franchise?

It’s an important to look back at 2020 in the face of this evolving situation. We are only one year removed from Watson staring reporters in the eye and saying that he wanted “to be legendary.” Don’t be fooled, the prospect of being legendary is quickly fading for the young signal caller. League coverage of the NFL has moved without him and so have a host of former fans who will not stand for even the allegation of what has come up against him. Forget the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Clemson speaking appearances and endorsement opportunities are fading into the rear-view mirror everyday he allows the civil suits to dominate his story.

It is the best interest of Watson to move to a different situation and put football back into focus. It is in the best interest of the Texans to take the best possible deal. There should be a clear, mutual win in focus if both parties agree to cooperate and take their heads out of the sand.

Pittsburgh appears just a quarterback away from obvious contention in the AFC. Washington performed admirably under Taylor Heinicke but it’s unlikely they consider him a long-term answer moving forward. Carolina has been desperately aggressive in their attempts to upgrade but may potentially be hamstrung by a sunk cost in Sam Darnold. Denver has been spoken as a possible destination since last year.

A new, competitive market is evolving that bodes well for general manager Nick Caserio and the leverage of Houston.

All of this to say: the Watson trade market has changed remarkably over the past month. Organizational changes will create new suitors and it’s quite possible previously interested parties will back out. Houston fans may want to start cheering for the Giants or another team to bring on a Rick Smith or Bill O’Brien type, someone who’s familiarity and comfort with Watson could lead to an overpayment.

Watson’s trade control is slowly but surely changing from the vice grip he may have felt last March and the preferred destinations may very well be changing too. Caserio has to be feeling quite good about his decision to hold until the new year.

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/13/deshaun-watson-trade-landscape-different-texans-2022/

21 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Don't get Wentz he had one good year .

Wentz stock is low. 

I actually prefer him over Bridgewater/Trubisky/Mariota as a bridge guy to a rookie.

I'd actually love a Wentz/Howell camp competition. And if Howell isn't ready that's fine. Wentz can at the very least get a team to a winning record and to the precipice of the playoffs while Howell/rookie learns.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think the idea of winning with a mediocre QB and stellar supporting cast + dominant defense just needs to die already. It's been on life support for a long time here, with a few posters randomly giving it IV drips to keep it going. Just let it go.

It's been refuted time and time again. By analysts, by coaches, by FOs, by statistics. Even the most hardcore defense minded and older school coaches now pretty much openly accept it. It's a QB and passing driven league now. If you want to be a perennial contender you have to have a top QB and that's all there is to it.

It could be argued that every single division winner this year also had the best 'statistical' QB in most categories.

Edited by HigSkin

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Wentz stock is low. 

I actually prefer him over Bridgewater/Trubisky/Mariota as a bridge guy to a rookie.

I'd actually love a Wentz/Howell camp competition. And if Howell isn't ready that's fine. Wentz can at the very least get a team to a winning record and to the precipice of the playoffs while Howell/rookie learns.

We want NO PART of Wentz. He was a total douche with the Eagles according to many and a local writer put it all in an article. Total me first guy. If Frank Reich can't get Wentz going in Indy then I don't think anyone can. I have great respect for Reich and it looks like Wentz may have already worn out his welcome there.

Just now, kingdaddy said:

We want NO PART of Wentz. He was a total douche with the Eagles according to many and a local writer put it all in an article. Total me first guy. If Frank Reich can't get Wentz going in Indy then I don't think anyone can. I have great respect for Reich and it looks like Wentz may have already worn out his welcome there.

Well the behind the scenes stuff is different and I don't know it.

If he is then obviously that's a no go. I'm talking purely on field ability

17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Wentz stock is low. 

I'd take him over those three QBs, too.  But I think you'd pay a heavier price to get him.  And would run 28 million off the cap.

The kicker for is that long expose last year that delved about what a high maintenance, egotistical and strange dude he supposedly is, not loved by some teammates.    Some of the tweets i am reading today give the vibe that maybe there is some personality stuff in the soup in Indy.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

You mean bring in Ehlinger as our backup? Obviously he's not a guy you bring in with any sort of idea that he's the answer. The dude was a 6th round pick for a reason. (If anyone brings up Tom Brady I will spontaneously combust)

Yeah, just competing for a backup role but perhaps he could offer more. Sam is underrated IMO though. Sam and Davis Mills were the best bets after Lawrence, Wilson and Fields last year - for myself anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd take him over those three QBs, too.  But I think you'd pay a heavier price to get him.  And would run 28 million off the cap.

The kicker for is that long expose last year that delved about what a high maintenance, egotistical and strange dude he supposedly is, not loved by some teammates.    Some of the tweets i am reading today give the vibe that maybe there is some personality stuff in the soup in Indy.

Not if they release him. They are killing their own trade market right now.

If he's a personality problem then we need to stay away. 

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

But the talk is this year's draft class is weak for the QBs (I don't necessarily agree but I'm not in the front office). If the FO agrees with this, then they may press harder for a QB by other means. If they don't want Tribs or Mariota or Winston, then the question is who else is available. I think I'd take Mond over Ehlinger for a few reasons but its not a big deal. 

I wonder what the Dolphins are thinking about Tua. I know Ron hasn't sounded too positive on him but does Turner like him? Marty and Martin? Are the Dolphins still trying to get Watson? I think he could be good here. 

I don't think this draft class is "weak", it's just one of those classes where there isn't a clear cut #1 blue chip prospect. Which in many ways is fortunate for us since we're not picking in the top 3.

As far as picking guys up in FA or trade, I don't want them going for a reclamation project or some mid or low drafted guy who they think might have some upside, unless it's purely as a backup.

So I'm not interested in Mond or Ehlinger. Those are guys we'd pick up and then possibly spend a couple of years hoping they would come around before finally admitting that they're not that good and we have to move on. By that time we may be in a place to lose some core pieces of the team. And we'd probably also be looking for a new HC.

So if we pick up a QB in FA or trade IMO it either needs to be a blockbuster deal for someone like Watson or Wilson, or be a super moderate contract for a guy who is clearly a bridge and then draft a rookie. That would be more along the Trubisky or Mariota lines. I'm not really interested in Jimmy G unless SF cuts him and we get him for cheap.

Go big or go home. I'm sick of this piddling around trying to move from being a crappy team to being a slightly less crappy team. No reclamation projects. No searching fruitlessly for mid or late round gems. No hoping that some other team's low round pick will somehow become a completely different QB elsewhere.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Not if they release him. They are killing their own trade market right now.

If he's a personality problem then we need to stay away. 

If you can get a 2nd rounder plus for Rosen, 2nd rounder plus for Darnold, I'd think they can get something for Wentz.  But maybe not because of his salary, will see.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you can get a 2nd rounder plus for Rosen, 2nd rounder plus for Darnold, I'd think they can get something for Wentz.  But maybe not because of his salary, will see.

I dont think they move Wentz who could they get? They will go another year with him. Maybe they go after Jimmy G .

Phl or NYG get Watson we are in deep deep trouble. This is not good.

Edited by Redskins 2021

7 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Don't know if this could be done cap wise, but it would LOL:

Kirk for Wentz+2022 Indy 2nd.  Vikings are tired of Kirk and the Colts appear to be tired of Wentz.

I think if Cousins is able to sign an extension and move money around he can be moved. Pittsburgh may go after Wentz. This is bad Trubisky and Mariota value has probably gone up.

Edited by Redskins 2021