Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

21 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Jayden isn't like Lamar. Lamar is faster, more agile, can avoid hits, has a much bigger arm, and can distribute the ball to any level of the field (something Daniels may be able to do, but doesn't do much of currently).

That being said, Lamar does tend to disappear a bit when defenses can scheme away his running. Hopefully Daniels can avoid that trap.

And honestly, I just hope this whole debate can be put to rest when we pick Maye at #2.

It absolutely is a great comparison. Lamar is a better natural runner while Jayden is a better natural passer, at least going off of their college careers. That’s why Jayden’s potential is so great. 

And again I’m happy with Maye or Daniels. Just say no to Caleb Williams. 

Edited by BayouBrave86

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

We signed one. David Blough who was with Kingsbury in Arizona and is 28. He's the assistant QB coach.

Yeah that was my thought, we have a coaching staff for that mentor stuff.  A vet is nice but probably not necessary.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wayne_Millner said:

Am I the only one who wants to draft a QB at #2 (Daniels) but also start the season with Howell as QB1?

I mean...

What are our goals going in to this season?

And is that the best way to develop future QB1 when old/current QB1 also needs development?

28 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm truly shocked that the Disciples of Daniels think he's the best thing since sliced bread and does everything better than RG3.

Here go the dramatics and hyperbole. Yall are so theatrical.

RG3 has a stronger arm, nobody disagreed with that. RG3 also couldn't read a defense to save his life, played in a gimmicky offense in college and also had a significant injury history before we drafted him. Thats also facts.

I think my disagreement with this chart would be that both Williams and Maye having a much lower floor than stated here (and Maye taking a lot longer IMO for him to possibly reach his ceiling with the stuff he needs to clean up). 

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

RG3 has a stronger arm, nobody disagreed with that. RG3 also couldn't read a defense to save his life, played in a gimmicky offense in college and also had a significant injury history before we drafted him. Thats also facts.

I think my disagreement with this chart would be that both Williams and Maye having a much lower floor than stated here (and Maye taking a lot longer IMO for him to possibly reach his ceiling with the stuff he needs to clean up). 

It’s their only response to facts and reason :lol:

8 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

You can't honestly believe that you're not over the top about Daniels. Well, you or any other Disciples. I think it was @Skinsinparadise who mentioned that if Daniels is even half the prospect that his fans make him out to be, he should be an absolute slam dunk #1 overall pick, no questions asked. Which he won't be.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Wayne_Millner said:

Am I the only one who wants to draft a QB at #2 (Daniels) but also start the season with Howell as QB1?

I expect the rookie to start day one.  If he can’t start right off the bat, that would be concerning. They only way he’s going to learn is starting on day one.

If someone is willing to give us a 4th or even 3rd rounder for Sam, trade him.

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

You can't honestly believe that you're not over the top about Daniels. Well, you or any other Disciples. I think it was @Skinsinparadise who mentioned that if Daniels is even half the prospect that his fans make him out to be, he should be an absolute slam dunk #1 overall pick, no questions asked. Which he won't be.

It’s very clear that some of them are LSU fans. They have blinders on, so it’s a little hard to take them seriously. Especially the one who claims he has facts, cold hard proof and videos, but I’ve yet to see them.

I would be happy with Daniels or Maye. I am a fan of Daniels as I watched a lot of LSU games.  Daniels made a huge jump from year 1 to 2 with LSU.  Year one, it seemed like he was extremely risk adverse.  It was frustrating at times.  That might have just been switching to a new team/offense.  This last year, he was a leader and fully trusted his ability.  LSU would have been fighting to make a bowl game without him.  He isn’t Lamar elusive but I would say more elusive than RG3.  RG3 is faster.  Like everyone has said, Daniels needs to put on weight.  He didn’t take a lot of big hits but at times he did run into contact.  Also, occasionally, he would make an inaccurate throw that he shouldn’t have missed.  Mostly he was on point with his throws.

I haven’t watched a lot of Maye. Just some highlights and portions of UNC games. His size, arm strength and playmaking ability seem like they would translate to being a successful pro QB.  Not too worried about the slight stat drop off this year. Can’t bring your college stats with you.  Don’t  have much else due to limited time watching

Edited by JMURedskins
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 3

I trust the guys making the decision.

The staff's expert opinions on which flaws are "fixable", which traits are five-alarm risks vs. manageable, which skill-set is better suited for success... it might be super different from how we're speculating as amateurs. Or maybe not. But for the first time in a looooooong time, we have credible adults in charge.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

It absolutely is a great comparison. Lamar is a better natural runner while Jayden is a better natural passer, at least going off of their college careers. That’s why Jayden’s potential is so great. 

And again I’m happy with Maye or Daniels. Just say no to Caleb Williams. 

Jayden was not a good passer until this past season. Even this year it’s questionable given his surrounding talent He played 5 years in college. 3 at ASU and 2 at LSU. Lamar was the NFL MVP in the equivalent year Daniels just had in college. Jayden is a 1 year wonder after 4 average years. 

We either need to go all in on Caleb which is my preference or go Maye. Jayden is a bust in the making. The other 2 can be busts as well but Jayden is nearly a guaranteed bust. 

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bears beat writer

Screen Shot 2024-02-21 at 1.11.01 PM.png

I agree with this, which is why I'm against the idea of trading up for the #1 pick.  If the Bears have decided that Caleb is the guy, they wouldn't be offering the pick to us.  They'd simply stay at one and pick him.  If they make us an offer, they aren't picking Caleb.  If we pass on the trade offer, we'd get Caleb at #2, if that's who we want.  If the Bears want Maye or Daniels, they'd be unwilling to trade down any further than #2, so the fear that they would trade the pick to another team just doesn't hold water.  Hold at #2.  Trading up would obviously ensure that we'd get who we want at QB, but the cost is too high, considering the many other needs we have and the fact that we'd stand a very good chance of getting the QB we want at #2 anyway.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Jayden is nearly a guaranteed bust. 

I am not willing to go this far. There are successful QB's in the league with weaker arms than Daniels. I actually dont hate Daniels as a prospect. His arm is going to limit a little bit of what you can do though. Especially in the NFCE with 8 outdoor games in windy conditions per year. While I dont hate Daniels as a prospect.I do hate him at 2 over either Caleb or Maye. 

If the staff is sold on Daniels they need to do everything in their power to trade down to 3 and let New England drat Drake Maye. It has been done in the past. The Bears traded up from 3 to 2 to pick Trubisky. They gave up two 3rds and a 4th to do it. Again I think Maye is a noticeably better prospect on film than Daniels is. BUT if they are sold on Daniels trade down one pick and take him there. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

They can be hard to find, but we have seen a bunch in the various vids posted on here... especially the long format ones.

When he does do it you can usually see the gears turning in his head as he preps for it w/ chop steps a lot of the time.

His form isn't super consistent either.

He is way farther along then RG3 was in that department (who has some of the worst slide attempts you'll ever see) but it does not look natural nor uber consistent for JD yet so I don't think he is as comfortable w/ the mechanics of sliding as he needs to be. He has a lot of work to do in that department in my book, and if he can get that absolute faith and confidence in his sliding ability, it will help him a metric ton at the next level. He'd be less afraid to pull it outta the bag. We have seen on our team over the years that an inability to slide greatly decreases the desire to slide w/ Campbell and RG3.

If you want to see one for yourself and not dig thru the monstrosity sized breakdowns on the guy, one of his better ones is at the 1:15 mark of this vid.

Thanks for this! Because just like rgiii, if jd can’t slide as a running qb, he won’t last long for the team that drafts him.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 10:29 PM, CjSuAvE22 said:

Is there any possibility we can trade out of no.2 and somehow still snag Daniel’s? I think he’s better than Drake Maye personally…

only if we trade with NE . . . let them pick their QB and take the 3rd and grab some picks.

1 hour ago, Wayne_Millner said:

You may be the only one who WANTS this but I would be on board with this plan if the coaches felt the best approach was to let the rookie watch for 6-10 weeks while Sam got to show what he's improved on this offseason. I definitely agree with the position that a lot of damage can be done by throwing a kid in too soon as opposed to getting them ready over the course of the season. With a new balanced approach on offense and an improved offensive line Sam ain't gonna kill us even if he's not the future franchise QB here. I'm not giving up on Sam until this new regime does. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Setting aside my concerns, or lack thereof, as to Jaydon's sliding ability, I do wanna say Maye slides super smoothly.  Dude has a slide like from a video game, quick down, slides 2 yards, bounces up.

Super consistent form too.

That tells me he is very comfortable w/ the mechanics of sliding.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Setting aside my concerns, or lack thereof, as to Jaydon's sliding ability, I do wanna say Maye slides super smoothly.  Dude has a slide like from a video game, quick down, slides 2 yards, bounces up.

Pretty good chance he played baseball as a kid. His bro played at Florida and he comes from a family of athletes. 

• Like 1