Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, bh32 said:

So did Tim Tebow..the heisman ain't ****...the best NFL QBs in the NFL didn't win the Heisman...lol

Joe Burrow and Lamar Jackson aren't currently top 10 QBs in the NFL? That's news to me. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 3

Just now, ThatNFLChick said:

Joe Burrow and Lamar Jackson aren't currently top 10 best QBs in the NFL? That's news to me. 

So you think burrow are the best QB's in NFL  history?

• Haha 1

Just now, bh32 said:

So you think burrow are the best QB's in NFL  history?

Nowhere did you mention history. This is exactly what you said "the best NFL QBs in the NFL didn't win the Heisman...lol"

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Well yeah. She is. She has 800 posts in 5 weeks. Go look at them.

Lol, I appreciate a fan. 

• Like 2

Just now, ThatNFLChick said:

Nowhere did you mention history. This is exactly what you said "the best NFL QBs in the NFL didn't win the Heisman...lol"

Yeah in the heisman existence is what I meant..so where is Mahomes heisman at?

Do you see a pattern with heisman trophy winning QB'S? they are all running QB'S and most of them amount to nothing in the NFL.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mh86 said:

If you talk bad about the man the death squad, which seems to be a few people who are LSU fans specifically, roll up and start blasting away any critique without budging.

I've made jokes and critiques at the man's expense and nobody's given me any guff.

I've hit on his inability to properly slide

I've talked about how building any kind of functional strength is a multi-year process and its not a problem that instantly goes away

I made fun of his thunder thighs build

I joked that he plays like he's made of adamantium

I noted that he will never be a "thicc boi"

I've talked at length that he has to get much better at protecting himself

I've agreed that he needs to throw more often when he breaks the pocket instead of running like 90% of the time

But peeps here understand that its all from a place of luv and are willing to compartmentalize the info.

Its the content and perceived intent of the critique getting attacked, not the ability to critique itself. 

• Like 2

I remember when the President of the Daniels Fan Club on this board was still President of the Penix Fan Club. That stopped pretty abruptly when he flamed out in the Natty 😉

Hey, it’s all good… the draft will be here soon enough and so long as everybody roots for whomever the team drafts — Maye or Daniels or Caleb or McCarthy or whoever else —  all is fair in love and football.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Steve Young was a beast. 

Holy ****. Is it just me, or does it look like he is running awkardly, in slow motion in this video? I know that Young was a great athlete, IRL, but this video looks like Sam Howell lucked into a big run. The eras are just different. That is not a Lamar Jackson, Jayden Daniels, Michael Vick type run. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Holy ****. Is it just me, or does it look like he is running awkardly, in slow motion in this video? I know that Young was a great athlete, IRL, but this video looks like Sam Howell lucked into a big run. The eras are just different. That is not a Lamar Jackson, Jayden Daniels, Michael Vick type run. 

Depends on what frame rate the cameras were back then. Maybe not the same real life speed that cameras are today. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Older NFL Films like this one were filmed with 35mm cameras at 24fps, like the movies.

That's why they look so "legendary". It's their staple. The cadence of the players moving looks different than reality.

All TV cameras used today in live transmissions work at 60fps (older TV broadcasts were transmitted at 30fps).

That's why old NFL Films look so different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, illone said:

IMO it's all about how this staff grades this crop of players. If there is a significant GAP between Caleb and the next tier of QBs, then trading up makes sense if the price is right. However, if that GAP is tiny and the price is wrong, and you have another 2nd tier QB like JJ or Nix graded well, then trading back makes more sense to me.

That’s exactly where I started off. Am more drawn to Daniels now, I know you aren’t, but yeah, I was trade up for the best or get the Hell out of #2 and move back.

5 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Lol, I appreciate a fan. 

Hey you got another one here :) I was convinced you were a poster from the not too distant past reincarnated under a new user name…..

Anyway, keep the info coming. I think you posting a ton of interesting info on here.

• Like 2

Just for fun, I’m going to do quick pro comps (as prospects) for each QB’s traits as I see it using only 6 prospects max:

Drake Maye

Frame / Body Type: Justin Herbert

Footwork: Jordan Love (not a compliment)

Decision Making / Instincts: Josh Allen (high risk/reward)

Rushing Ability: Andrew Luck

Pre-Snap Processing: Kirk Cousins

Post-Snap Processing: Jordan Love (not a compliment)

Short / Sidleline Accuracy: Josh Allen (not a compliment)

Deep / MOF Accuracy: Andrew Luck

Arm Strength / Talent: Justin Herbert

Caleb Williams

Frame / Body Type: Baker Mayfield

Footwork: Andrew Luck (always keeps a wide base in the pocket; beautiful pocket manipulation)

Decision Making / Instincts: Patrick Mahomes

Rushing Ability: Kyler Murray

Pre-Snap Processing: Baker Mayfield (not really a compliment)

Post-Snap Processing: Kyler Murray (not really a compliment either)

Short / Sidleline Accuracy: Patrick Mahomes

Deep / MOF Accuracy: Russell Wilson

Arm Strength / Talent: Matthew Stafford

Jayden Daniels

Frame / Body Type: Shorter Mike Glennon (yikes)

Footwork: Joe Burrow (very quick feet)

Decision Making / Instincts: Lamar Jackson (will look to run rather than create off-platform if first read isn’t there)

Rushing Ability: Robert Griffin III (straight and upright, though Daniels has more maneuverability)

Pre-Snap Processing: Geno Smith

Post-Snap Processing: Robert Griffin III

Short / Sidleline Accuracy: Geno Smith

Deep / MOF Accuracy: Joe Burrow

Arm Strength / Talent: Brock Purdy (not a compliment)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So if it were me, I'd think its insane to trade three number 1's and change to move up from 2 to 1.   I got a strong vibe from Keim that they don't want to trade up at all.  They desperately want to keep those picks.  I also got a strong vibe that the Bears don't want to trade that pick away.

I'd be shocked.  Not just surprised but shocked if they traded the store for Caleb.   But having said that, its purely based on early vibes on this.  Maybe in a few weeks the vibes will change.  

I’ll be shocked if we actually sit at #2 and don’t make a significant offer to the Bears. They can of course decline.

I think the long term strategy will be to value draft picks and build that way. For now, it’s all about the QB. I see an aggressive move coming, with a strong push in FA and Peters backing himself to unearth some day 2/3 gems.

9 hours ago, skinsarethebest said:

If I had to look for a trait that I think I would most want in our next QB, it would be that “clutch” gene, the ability to remain calm and deliver a win in daunting circumstances.  All of the Washington QBs for the last 20 years had the exact opposite of that clutch gene - I’m looking at you, Kirk Cousins.

that to me is what separate the Pat Mahomes from all other QBs in the league.

for what it’s worth, having watched a bit of USC football this past season, Caleb actually doesn’t really seem to have a huge abundance of this gene, tbh.  With one exception, he didn’t really will his team to victory in those crucial situations, and he certainly faltered down the stretch as the season wore on.  Didn’t watch as much of Maye so I can’t really speak to that aspect of him, but something tells me he’s not exceptional in this regard either. 

I do like that Daniels seems like the hardest worker of the bunch.

I read something once that always stuck with me, I forget who said it but it was a highly successful coach who had won at the highest level....not sure if it was actually about football (soccer) rather than (American) Football, but I think the point stands up to scrutiny in most sports I think... At the most elite levels of sports, there's actually not huge amounts of difference between players in terms of talent and ability. Skillsets may be different, but they're all pretty comparable levels. Put them on a practice field and you'll get similar production. What separates the best out is their ability to deliver on their talent when the pressure is on, and they're in the spotlight. How they deal with the stress of being on the field, the pressure of the crowd etc etc... That intangible is the one thing that will separate out the truly elite.... I think that is probably not far off base. 

Edited by UKskins
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, mh86 said:

Sadly I think this is why people on here are souring on Daniels. If you talk bad about the man the death squad, which seems to be a few people who are LSU fans specifically, roll up and start blasting away any critique without budging. Its been tough to read peoples takes on here this year. 

Yeah its a bit much. :ols:   I saw a post from @UK Skins the other day saying the same.  I am trying hard not to let the over the top nonstop gushing PR campaign sour me on the dude.  Because removing all of that, i genuinely would be stoked if its Maye or Daniels albiet prefer Maye. 

If a dude is this level flawless and anyone who mentions any flaw really simply hasn't watched him or doesn't understand football apparently or just hates the dude for no reason -- then for those that love him to that extent, I'd be absolutely crushed if this FO doesn't take him.   I'd think this FO then are a bunch of no-nothing about football buffoons if they don't take this dude.  Peters should be out then from the jump.

Personally, I've watched more Maye and Daniels then any players in my lifetime I've watched draft prospects.  I've watched most of the games I've had available to watch give or take about 4 times each.   I am no QB expert to say the least.  But I can hang in here with average layperson in a discussion.  I read Arians book about QBs among other things.  I try to learn about that spot over the years.  It's not easy but I give it a shot. 

I've nailed some things about QBs here over the years.  I am nothing special on this front but again I am not a lost puppy in a average discussion with the typical fan on the topic.  Ditto plenty of other people here who I know watched these guys.  Doesn't make us right but we do put in the time.  Heck at this point of the draft season, I am typically much deeper talking about prospects but I've been stuck in quick sand in the QB discussion.  I need to pull out for my own sanity. :ols:

As for Daniels, love him as a runner.   As @wit33 remembers like he does, I love myself mobile QBs.  I was on the Kyler Murray train at the time among others.  Love QBs with wheels.   I like his touch on the deep ball.  Decent though not perfect making throws in the flat.  I like what I've read about him as a dude.  All these guys though have some red flags.  I've said to death Drake Maye's red flags even though that's who I want at #2 -- Drake is far from flawless, too.  As to Daniels, my number one concern isn't just him getting hurt because of his slight frame, its that he likes to take off versus throw off platform.  And defenses in the NFL can clamp down on that.  You spy someone especially on the edges and keep him in the pocket and force him to throw.

When it comes to mobile QBs, I like them to master throwing off platform.  IMO throwing off platform should be your go to move when flushed in the pocket not taking off.   So when people talk about concerns about his durabilty its especially relevant with Daniels for three reasons.  1.  His frame.  2.  His tendency to take off versus throw off platform.  He also takes his fair share of sacks especially when you collapse the interior.  So when you combine them all, it's a real disclaimer not a BS one, but a real one.  It could work out fine but the concerns are certainly not BS and that people just haven't watched him. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Lol when this thread was all Maye all the time nobody had a problem with it. 

It was never like this.  This is nonstop.  And any criticism is not only refuted but it can get snippy, too.

Among the one's pushing Maye, most of them, me included would talk about his flaws.  

Both QBs have flaws.  If Daniels flaws are all BS, then he should be going #1, if he's that level perfect the GM would have to be a moron to not take him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kingsbury was asked what he looks for in a quarterback and joked, “The Chiefs quarterback.”

Kingsbury coached Patrick Mahomes at Texas Tech.

“No. I do think the game as you can see. . . . You watch those guys at the end like when the money is on the table, you’ve got to be able to make some plays with your feet, move around enough to escape a bad play,” Kingsbury said

I'm wondering if he's writing off Drake Maye from his list at pick 2 ?

Edited by FrFan

30 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Kingsbury was asked what he looks for in a quarterback and joked, “The Chiefs quarterback.”

Kingsbury coached Patrick Mahomes at Texas Tech.

“No. I do think the game as you can see. . . . You watch those guys at the end like when the money is on the table, you’ve got to be able to make some plays with your feet, move around enough to escape a bad play,” Kingsbury said

I'm wondering if he's writing off Drake Maye from his list at pick 2 ?

Why would Drake Maye be off based on that description?

All three can move.  Now if he said he wants the fastest, that would be Daniels.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Why would Drake Maye be off based on that description?

All three can move.  Now if he said he wants the fastest, that woulld be Daniels.

I read that he has problems  with his pocket presence and footwork and brings sacks on himself.

"A big problem for a lot of young quarterbacks is how they deal with pressure. Maye had a 19.6% pressure-to-sack rate last season, which is on the higher side of where you would like your quarterback to be. For example, the best quarterbacks in the NFL hover right around a 10-15% rate of turning pressure into sacks. It’s an area Maye will need to improve on to be successful. There are still too many moments of him scrambling into pressure that then turn into sacks."