Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

But does it have to be muscle? He said 20lbs. Mahomes is probably closer to 25% boddy fat than 10%. The dude got a soft belly and man boobs.

I think you are right and I cannot imagine telling a professional athlete to let himself go a little bit so he can stay healthy for a season. But damn if you aint right on point. 

3 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

But does it have to be muscle? He said 20lbs. Mahomes is probably closer to 25% body fat than 10%. The dude got a soft belly and man boobs.

Mahomes weighed in at 225 at the combine and that's still what he's listed as.

Anyway...whether its muscle or fat, it usually doesn't happen. Sure, plenty of guys come in to the NFL and put on a few pounds (usually muscle), but 20? Nah. And add to that it would be on a guy who's biggest superpower at the moment is his speed?

25 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

Dual threat? I could have sworn he labeled himself as such. 

Actual numbers tell a different story. He COULD run (and when did he ran like a full back) but he rarely did.

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Anyway...whether its muscle or fat, it usually doesn't happen. Sure, plenty of guys come in to the NFL and put on a few pounds (usually muscle), but 20? Nah. And add to that it would be on a guy who's biggest superpower at the moment is his speed?

He could put on 20 lbs and easily still be the second best runner at the qb position. 20lbs is not that much, JaMarcus Russell put that much on in a month.

28 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

Trey Lance played at North Dakota State or something like that and lost a year due to COVID. If I recall correctly, you can't be serious. Daniels put up big numbers in the SEC. I have a preference but I'm not claiming anyone is so much better than other.     On a lighter note:

Dual threat? I could have sworn he labeled himself as such. 

You act like Drake isn’t a dual threat qb.  He is every bit the runner that Allen, Mahomes, Big Ben, and Steve Young are/was.

And yes, I’m well aware that it was ND State and Daniels plays in the SEC.  Doesn’t change the fact that the majority of his TDs were to open WRs on fade routes or jump balls to one on one matchups to WRs running fade routes.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

He could put on 20 lbs and easily still be the second best runner at the qb position. 20lbs is not that much, JaMarcus Russell put that much on in a month.

I'm fascinated by the fact that you just used Jamarcus Russel as an example and ostensibly think it made some sort of positive impact on your point.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ST_DaGoat21 said:

You can watch for yourself.  I counted 2 balls over the middle the entire game.  One was dropped and one sailed over the wr.  

To me Daniels is an anorexic version of Trey Lance.  Lance had a ton of TDS in college and only 1 int because he just threw go routes and never had to throw into tight windows.  Lance also was a one read and take off qb.  I don’t care how pretty your deep ball is, it’s not something that is sustainable in the NFL.  Neither is scrambling every other play.

:lol: what?? Lance is no where near the QB that Daniels is. Give me a break. You’re going to put Daniels worst game as his highlight reel. FSU defense shut him down in the second half but LSU was driving up and down the field at will in the first half and should’ve been up comfortably at half. How about you share some Jayden highlights from other games? 

educate yourself with this:

Edited by BayouBrave86

1 hour ago, ST_DaGoat21 said:

You can watch for yourself.  I counted 2 balls over the middle the entire game.  One was dropped and one sailed over the wr.  

To me Daniels is an anorexic version of Trey Lance.  Lance had a ton of TDS in college and only 1 int because he just threw go routes and never had to throw into tight windows.  Lance also was a one read and take off qb.  I don’t care how pretty your deep ball is, it’s not something that is sustainable in the NFL.  Neither is scrambling every other play.

That was his first game of the season and his worst game of the season but I am sure you knew that when you posted it. He got consistently better and the growth is the point. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Daniels had high accuracy #s because he was throwing to guys who are wide open. He has two WRs going #1 overall and an outstanding OL. He's not gonna have WRs running that open in the NFL. Using raw statistics like that to project college prospects to the pros is silly. Remember even Dwayne Haskins had 50 TDs in college and an insane completion %. How'd that work out?(may he rest in peace)He's a one read and go QB who doesn't consistently make tight, anticipatory throws into coverage. You gotta make your money down the middle of the field in the NFL and Daniels struggles in that area(doesn't mean he can't improve, but the track record historically is not great).

His floor is lower because so much of his game is his mobility and you're banking on him developing pro passing ability to compliment that running style which, historically, does not happen. Also, run first QBs tend to fade quick. That isn't even factoring in Daniels's body type increasing his chance of injury or the fact that he's an older prospect, reducing his window even more.

On the flip side, Maye's style of play translates very well to the pros. And his size/overall build means his chances of getting hurt are less. Of course nothing is guaranteed, Luck was a big guy too and got hurt a lot. He can come in and at the very least be in that league average tier because he'll always be able to sustain passing offense with his ability to make throws downfield.

There you go again just making up a false narrative for Daniels. I’m convinced you watched 0 of his games. Can say that about a few others in this thread too. 

6 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Sam Howell is just 23 years old and is about to be coached by a much more focused coaching staff who won't put nearly as much pressure on him as the previous regime did. I could see his career playing out similar to Baker Mayfield's where he takes a step back before moving forward. I love the toughness of Howell; if he's as mentally tough as he is physically I think he'll make it in the NFL for someone. I hope our staff sees something in him and coaches him up as a real asset be it as a backup or starter somewhere down the road. Sam can sling it and run, just needs to learn and grow into better decisions given more support. 

I don't think our team needs to be spending time or resources coaching him up. Once we pick someone at 2, all the focus should be on getting them ready. If Howell is still on the team and he learns something, cool, but taking someone else at 2 means they know Howell is not the guy and there is no point in wasting time or resources on someone you know is not the guy. 

I also don't like the idea of Howell as a backup no matter who the starter is. We need a veteran

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I don't think our team needs to be spending time or resources coaching him up. Once we pick someone at 2, all the focus should be on getting them ready. If Howell is still on the team and he learns something, cool, but taking someone else at 2 means they know Howell is not the guy and there is no point in wasting time or resources on someone you know is not the guy. 

I also don't like the idea of Howell as a backup no matter who the starter is. We need a veteran

Actually, QB history shows that the new QB should sit down for a year. Most of the QB's who did that turned out great, and they weren't even the top 3 pick guys for the most part. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

taking a qb at 2 means its a completely new staff and youre picking second and we dont have a franchise qb. If Sam wins the offseason start Sam until the new guy catches up.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Video

When JD does choose to slide we see so many different variations.

Its not like his throwing mechanics where he is super consistent.

He has some clean ones, and some others where you can see the gears turning in his head where he chops his feet to get to a preferential lead foot.

I come away thinking he simply has not practiced proper form enough. A lot of time w/ a slide coach will go a long way for him IMO. Boosting his confidence in his ability to slide and to do it at any leg angle/either lead foot would be huge.

There is one at 17:28 mark was... interesting. 90% soccer slide.

He's already 3x farther than RG3 was on that front tho

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, ST_DaGoat21 said:

@BayouBrave86 I have actually already watched your 52 min all 22 video.  But I’m not sure you have because all it does re-iterate that he doesn’t throw over the middle.

Uh huh sure you have. This will

summarize the season for you. 

https://x.com/LonnPhillips/status/1728786597322064182?s=20

IMG_4519.jpeg

Edited by BayouBrave86
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

O and D line can and do put on that kind of weight. They tend to lose a lot of weight as well when they stop playing - I have a friend who played D1 OT and played at around 300 - he's down around 235 now.

But its rare for skill position players weights to gain 20 pounds - hard to do that and maintain explosion and speed..

13 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Uh huh sure you have. This will

summarize the season for you. 

https://x.com/LonnPhillips/status/1728786597322064182?s=20

IMG_4519.jpeg

Interesting. Did he provide a source for this? I've been watching cutups of Daniels and I'm trying to figure out where these 2nd level and middle of the field numbers are coming from because I'm not seeing many of them on tape.

I just re-watched all of his plays vs Alabama and I counted 3 second level passes over the middle and 1 tight window out of 24 attempts.

Edited by mistertim