Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

13 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

No. You really can knock them. A QB on the bench with an injury is worthless. 

Not really. He specifically mentioned Mahomes and Murray when he made the comment. 

LOL, I want us to take Daniels but I honestly didn't think anything from Kingsbury's press conference gave us any hint where they are leaning. 

The only time I thought "oh Daniels might have an edge there" is when he talked about wanting a QB that was first in and a hard worker because the stories of Daniels arriving to LSU at 5 am everyday for film study are pretty well known now. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

All three of the top QBs in this class could easily fit a Kingsbury offense. They can all make plays when the things break down and they can all scramble/run.

Though with this tweet about comments by KK I get the feeling he's not necessarily looking for a guy who's going to run for a thousand yards, but more a guy who can extend plays with their legs and either find open guys downfield in a scramble drill or pick up some yardage to move the sticks.

Also said he has to be a leader and how the other players react to him, Mahomes is a leader and great person, that's what a QB is. Not word for word put this. That's going to matter to the team, He better be a leader and be liked and trusted by team members. 

Kliff's #1 desired trait will be work ethic after Kyler lol.

He is also gonna press every player at the combine for their Playstation and Xbox usernames so he can check their play histories. 

Then he will talk trash about Kratos and Master Chief to see if he can draw a reaction.

• Haha 8

12 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Kliff's #1 desired trait will be work ethic after Kyler lol.

He is also gonna press every player at the combine for their Playstation and Xbox usernames so he can check their play histories. 

Then he will talk trash about Kratos and Master Chief to see if he can draw a reaction.

Cant believe you didnt throw some COD zombies in this post. You are slacking my friend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I see it happening like this:

Daniels will be more dynamic/flashy out of the gates and explode onto the scene, whereas Maye will come on a little more slowly. People will **** that we took the wrong guy. Then, Daniels will start to suffer from some injuries a la RG3 within the first year or two due to his frame/propensity to not protect himself when running that start to seriously hamper his abilities. I hope that doesn't happen but I think it probably will. Even if it doesn't, he will start to lose his abilities much quicker than Maye will in the long term since a huge part of his game is that rushing ability, and Maye is far more the pocket passer type. While all this is happening, Maye will start to look more and more like a franchise QB that you can build around and be competitive in this league. I could even see him having a Herbert-esque rookie year with this coaching staff.

The greatest win would be finding a guy that in a few years from now we have no problem signing to a huge deal and is the face of this franchise for the next decade+. To me that's Maye, not Daniels

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

I see it happening like this:

Daniels will be more dynamic/flashy out of the gates and explode onto the scene, whereas Maye will come on a little more slowly. People will **** that we took the wrong guy. Then, Daniels will start to suffer from some injuries a la RG3 within the first year or two due to his frame/propensity to not protect himself when running that start to seriously hamper his abilities. I hope that doesn't happen but I think it probably will. Even if it doesn't, he will start to lose his abilities much quicker than Maye will in the long term since a huge part of his game is that rushing ability, and Maye is far more the pocket passer type. While all this is happening, Maye will start to look more and more like a franchise QB that you can build around and be competitive in this league. I could even see him having a Herbert-esque rookie year with this coaching staff.

The greatest win would be finding a guy that in a few years from now we have no problem signing to a huge deal and is the face of this franchise for the next decade+. To me that's Maye, not Daniels

If I had to look for a trait that I think I would most want in our next QB, it would be that “clutch” gene, the ability to remain calm and deliver a win in daunting circumstances.  All of the Washington QBs for the last 20 years had the exact opposite of that clutch gene - I’m looking at you, Kirk Cousins.

that to me is what separate the Pat Mahomes from all other QBs in the league.

for what it’s worth, having watched a bit of USC football this past season, Caleb actually doesn’t really seem to have a huge abundance of this gene, tbh.  With one exception, he didn’t really will his team to victory in those crucial situations, and he certainly faltered down the stretch as the season wore on.  Didn’t watch as much of Maye so I can’t really speak to that aspect of him, but something tells me he’s not exceptional in this regard either. 

I do like that Daniels seems like the hardest worker of the bunch.

5 hours ago, ST_DaGoat21 said:

You act like Drake isn’t a dual threat qb.  He is every bit the runner that Allen, Mahomes, Big Ben, and Steve Young are/was.

And yes, I’m well aware that it was ND State and Daniels plays in the SEC.  Doesn’t change the fact that the majority of his TDs were to open WRs on fade routes or jump balls to one on one matchups to WRs running fade routes.  

Maye is mobile enough; I'm not denying that. 

5 hours ago, MartinC said:

Actual numbers tell a different story. He COULD run (and when did he ran like a full back) but he rarely did.

I watched him play; that wasn't a stats comment. 

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I mean, we are loaded with picks and cap space. If they deem Williams the generational talent, you go all in right? This is a project being built for the long term. Getting that kind of QB at the cost of a few picks across 2024-26 seems the gamble to take. 

You essential get the generational QB in house until 2030 at least.

Too much short term thinking in these parts :)

If I thought Caleb was generational and Maye or Daniels had a medium at best ceiling -- then hell year trade the farm, we don't need high picks for the next three years and hope that the next Mahomes carries the roster while laughing at the poor saps stuck with Maye or Daniels.

But although i like Caleb a lot, i don't feel even remotely that its him or bust.  All three have some bust potential in them, Caleb too.  all three to me have high ceilings but Caleb is higher.

So if it were me, I'd think its insane to trade three number 1's and change to move up from 2 to 1.   I got a strong vibe from Keim that they don't want to trade up at all.  They desperately want to keep those picks.  I also got a strong vibe that the Bears don't want to trade that pick away.

I'd be shocked.  Not just surprised but shocked if they traded the store for Caleb.   But having said that, its purely based on early vibes on this.  Maybe in a few weeks the vibes will change.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, skinsarethebest said:

Not sure we know that.  It was cool he really picked it up big time on that front this season at LSU.  I posted some of those stories months back.  But I also mentioned that the stories somewhat suggest that he wasn't like this earlier in his career.

The other two are billed as hard workers too, so not sure we know who out works the other. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skinsarethebest said:

If I had to look for a trait that I think I would most want in our next QB, it would be that “clutch” gene, the ability to remain calm and deliver a win in daunting circumstances.  All of the Washington QBs for the last 20 years had the exact opposite of that clutch gene - I’m looking at you, Kirk Cousins.

that to me is what separate the Pat Mahomes from all other QBs in the league.

for what it’s worth, having watched a bit of USC football this past season, Caleb actually doesn’t really seem to have a huge abundance of this gene, tbh.  With one exception, he didn’t really will his team to victory in those crucial situations, and he certainly faltered down the stretch as the season wore on.  Didn’t watch as much of Maye so I can’t really speak to that aspect of him, but something tells me he’s not exceptional in this regard either. 

This is one of the reasons why I prefer Daniels. He just has that gene and tends to play his best ball against the toughest competition and in the 2nd half of close games. It goes all the way back to when he was a freshman at ASU - in 6 starts he had 3 game winning drives and was beating top 10 teams. Just knew how to perform when the pressur was on.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure we know that.  It was cool he really picked it up big time on that front this season at LSU.  I posted some of those stories months back.  But I also mentioned that the stories somewhat suggest that he wasn't like this earlier in his career.

The other two are billed as hard workers too, so not sure we know who out works the other. 

I don't think that is true at all since Herm Edwards and Antonio Pierce have repeatedly raved about him and his work ethic. He was the first true freshman in ASU history to win the starting QB job. 

Also part of why Brian Kelly said he won the job at LSU despite tranferring late was because of his work ethic. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick

Daniels works the hardest

He's clutch

Any concerns about injury -- is just haters hating

His accuracy is great on every level

Any concern is just BS and people that never really watched the dude

He really does it all

Are we sure this team isn't going to trade 3 first round picks and change to get up to get Daniels?  The Bears have to be fools to take Caleb.

giphy.gif

If Daniels is everything described here, i am booking my SB tickets as soon as they draft him. 

i got some pushback on Daniels ironically when i pushed him months back and I whined about it on the draft thread back then.    But my enthusiasm in retrospect was really nothing because wow the accolades the dude gets here.  Wonder if we should start just a pure Daniels thread now?  

8 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I don't think that is true at all since Herm Edwards and Antonio Pierce have repeatedly raved about him and his work ethic. He was the first true freshman in ASU history to win the starting QB job. 

Also part of why Brian Kelly said he won the job at LSU despite tranferring late was because of his work ethic. 

I recall Daniels talking himself about picking up his work ethic at LSU, I posted the articles back in the day, and i recall even some discussion here about it.

But I don't care to argue.  You can have the point. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Hopefully they trade up to number one for him so he isnt available to us.

The Bears aren't trading out of that spot. While I think the Raiders will do everything they can to move up, their best bet is the Patriots (and everyone seems to think there will be a competition for that #3 pick if New England is willing to trade out of it)

Yeah, it’s a crapshoot because it’s 50-50 the pick could be a bust. Still, you have a shot to take the 2nd best qb in a draft with potential qbs.

If you get right, your set. If he’s a bust, you try again. Though if the qb ends up being a bust, someone might not make it. Still you take a qb at #2.  Don’t trade down and take the qb later.

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I recall Daniels talking himself about picking up his work ethic at LSU, I posted the articles back in the day, and i recall even some discussion here about it.

Picking up his work ethic his final season has been confirmed but we are talking about the difference between arriving at practice 30 minues early with everyone else and arriving 3 hours early. I mean, no during his entire college career he was not getting in at 5 am to the facility. He did that his last year at LSU but any implication his work ethic wasn't always prerry strong is false according to his coaches at both schools. He won the starting job as a freshman at ASU then transferred and again won the starting job at LSU over 2 other players that had been there longer.

And no I am not saying he is the hardest worker. I have no idea about Maye and Williams work ethic, if they are first to the facility and last to leave, etc. If that has been stated its totally fine to post the articles to inform people. We know Maye has been Zooming and working with Eli and I'm sure Williams has been training.

Edited by ThatNFLChick

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's clutch

He really does it all

Are we sure this team isn't going to trade 3 first round picks and change to get up to get Daniels?  The Bears have to be fools to take Caleb.

giphy.gif

If Daniels is everything described here, i am booking my SB tickets as soon as they draft him. 

i got some pushback on Daniels ironically when i pushed him months back and I whined about it on the draft thread back then.    But my enthusiasm in retrospect was really nothing because wow the accolades the dude gets here.  Wonder if we should start just a pure Daniels thread now?  

Sadly I think this is why people on here are souring on Daniels. If you talk bad about the man the death squad, which seems to be a few people who are LSU fans specifically, roll up and start blasting away any critique without budging. Its been tough to read peoples takes on here this year. 

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's clutch

He really does it all

giphy.gif

i got some pushback on Daniels ironically when i pushed him months back and I whined about it on the draft thread back then.    But my enthusiasm in retrospect was really nothing because wow the accolodaes the dude gets here.  Wonder if we should start just a pure Daniels thread now?  

Slow your roll bro. He is literally SIP ER MAN

RPE-HSFOOTBALL-1223-03TP_279318411.jpg?w=620

• Like 1
  • Haha 1