Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

VOR is going to go nuts when Thor becomes the next GM, Jay returns as head coach and Chris Russell is hired to run PR for the team.   I feel him speaking it into existence.

1. The Raiders hired Mike Mayock.  So, there's precedent.  It would be a bold, out of the box hire for Harris.  If they hired Thor to be GM, they'd probably need to bring Tony Stark in as President of the team. (Ok, that exhausted my knowledge of Marvel.  It's not my thing. )

2. Jay making his triumphant return would be the final piece of the puzzle in the image rehabilitation Kevin Sheehan, Al Galdi and Ben Standig have been doing for the last 2 years.  It would show they were playing 3-dimensional chess. They just better not draft "a guard" with their first overall pick.  Or he'll get salty.  (I wish I had the soundbite of him answering a question about the first round picks while he was here saying something like "One hasn't played and the other is a guard."  Classic Jay.  If Jay stuck to trolling quips and not actually coaching, he'd be terrific.  

3. Chris Russell could absolutely run PR for the team.  There's actually precent for that too, Juli Donaldson jumped from NBCSports-whatever to the team.  Actually (this is the only part of the post which is not in jest) I bet Russell would do a really good job at that.  As much fun as I poke at him, he's a professional journalist, and by all accounts an extremely hard worker.  I have no beef with him personally. I think he's a looney toon with some of his takes, and his speech pattern is really bizarre.  

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

1. The Raiders hired Mike Mayock.  So, there's precedent.  It would be a bold, out of the box hire for Harris.  If they hired Thor to be GM, they'd probably need to bring Tony Stark in as President of the team. (Ok, that exhausted my knowledge of Marvel.  It's not my thing. )

If its Thor, you'd might want to team him up with Loki albiet they often have some tension.

2. Jay making his triumphant return would be the final piece of the puzzle in the image rehabilitation Kevin Sheehan, Al Galdi and Ben Standig have been doing for the last 2 years.  It would show they were playing 3-dimensional chess. They just better not draft "a guard" with their first overall pick.  Or he'll get salty.  (I wish I had the soundbite of him answering a question about the first round picks while he was here saying something like "One hasn't played and the other is a guard."  Classic Jay.  If Jay stuck to trolling quips and not actually coaching, he'd be terrific.  

I wouldn't want Jay back.  But IMO he's much quicker on his feet than Ron, funnier and a better evaluator too.

3. Chris Russell could absolutely run PR for the team.  There's actually precent for that too, Juli Donaldson jumped from NBCSports-whatever to the team.  Actually (this is the only part of the post which is not in jest) I bet Russell would do a really good job at that.  As much fun as I poke at him, he's a professional journalist, and by all accounts an extremely hard worker.  I have no beef with him personally. I think he's a looney toon with some of his takes, and his speech pattern is really bizarre.  

He'd be feisty in that spot.  He had a really good source in that Bruce FO which he clearly lost when Ron took over.  My favorite story from Russell is the one where he shared that Bruce invited the media and asked them to share what fans don't like about this team-regime and Russell went to town and didn't hold back and Bruce according to Russell was beyond pissed about it.

So Bieniemy doesn't know what it is.  Comforting if by some odd chance he's back and they run it back with Howell.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Spent the past week some digesting QB options and I do think this is a really intriguing class. It's a REALLY good time to be picking in the top 5. Some kneejerk amateur takes: 

-Williams makes some of the most stunning plays I've ever seen. He's also has a tremendous amount he needs to clean up in the NFL. He needs to be more careful with the ball (in the pocket, running, etc), and learn how to work within a system so he can take his singles and doubles and be more selective about when to take shots. Elite traits: arm strength, creativity, elusiveness. NFL high end comp: some blend between Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes. Low end: stronger arm Kyler Murray. 
-Maye has the best pure arm talent to make high level NFL throws. He's also a great playmaker and athlete, and most other class would be a hands down #1 overall imo. NFL comp: Justin Herbert, little bit of Stafford's arm imo
-Daniels is one hell of a runner and throws a nice deep ball but makes me nervous. I can't think of a good NFL comp that's had a successful career. People point to Lamar but he's not anywhere near the passer Lamar was in college. He's also a bit older. As intriguing as he looks on the highlight reel, I'd be hesitant to take him in the top 10. NFL comp: RG3 
-JJ McCarthy is being significantly overlooked. While he lacks the highest upside of Williams and Maye, his work out of the pocket, and his instincts escaping the pocket, look the cleanest out of the bunch. He's a day 1 starter. Doesn't have quite the top 5 QB upside that Maye does, but I can absolutely see him having the most successful career out of this class. NFL comp: Kirk Cousins but better physical traits.

Maye's my guy at 2-3 (even if it involves trading up a spot or two). But I would not feel bad at all about landing McCarthy, who I think will go way earlier than the media is currently projecting. 

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Agree and if he feels that way about Chicago, I can't see him being okay with Washington who will be in full transition beginning in 2 weeks. 

I am not sure. Maybe he wants to avoid any competition or a choosing process between him and Fields. Some guys just want to be the heir apparent. The Bears would be real smart to pick Marvin Harrison Jr.  I thought Fields was better this year and could use some help. 

3 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

I am not sure. Maybe he wants to avoid any competition or a choosing process between him and Fields. Some guys just want to be the heir apparent. The Bears would be real smart to pick Marvin Harrison Jr.  I thought Fields was better this year and could use some help. 

Who wants to pay Justin Fields 40+ million for being "better" though?

Look at what Denver is doing with a Hall of Fame QB who played pretty damn well this year. These outrageous QB contracts are ending teams ability to build around them. 

Edited by clskinsfan

2 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Best move for the Bears would be trade down to about 3-4 and take Harrison, then take McCarthy with their second 1st if he's still there. Assuming that pick is outside the top 5, you can roll with Fields another year and see how he progresses before making a decision on the future. Regardless of who is at QB, an offense with DJ Moore and Marvin Harrison Jr would be nuts. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I should have added the word ‘perceived’.

Because let’s be honest, it’s all conjecture and smoke/mirrors until you get them through the door, isn’t it.

Not really, no. But it’s all conjecture on our part. Decision makers will have an idea if it’s true or not.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So Bieniemy doesn't know what it is.  Comforting if by some odd chance he's back and they run it back with Howell.

What a joke of an OC he is!  He said just the opposite before he got benched.  It wasn't that long ago.  Good riddance, Mr. Bienemy!  

• Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

The first and second year for him was tough because their O line was bad, he rushed throws, and he certainly did not have the type of caliber receiver like DJ Moore, which they have now. I think he would move from better to more consistent and even better, with one more key receiver. You pick up Harrison it is an upgrade for any QB.  I like him. 

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Oh he knows...it has been his lack of giving him protection and poor game planning/play calling.

He can's admit that though or he'd never get another job

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

JayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJay

😛😁💩🤡👹

• Haha 9

Eric Bieniemy on Sam Howell's last month: "He just didn’t play well, and unfortunately that happens. It's not like anything you can put your finger on."

It certainly couldn't be the fact Howell has been sacked sixty times and ya still call an offense that throws the ball 65% of the time now huh Eric? 🤣

What a ****ing idiot. I hope he goes back to KC and remains a position coach for the rest of his career. Dude has zero business being in charge of anything. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

15 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Look at what Denver is doing with a Hall of Fame QB who played pretty damn well this year. These outrageous QB contracts are ending teams ability to build around them. 

Yeah it was one thing when that 2nd tier was getting paid 25 million or so.  But that's now headed to 35-45 million range with the high ends to 50-60 million.   

A rookie QB is more valuable than ever.

@wit33 i think might finally have his thought happen which is the mid tier veteran price tags come down or at a minimum you can't pay some outrageous sum for a mid tier QB. 

The QB spot salary wise is going well beyond incremental inflation range which is making the point how valuable a top 8 type of QBs are -- teams that have them will pay whatever it takes to keep them thus pushing these salaries up.

But in turn, its making the rookie Qb salary an even bigger money cheat code.  And likewise it would make this team look even dumber for not taking a QB high in this draft assuming they like one.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah it was one thing when that 2nd tier was getting paid 25 million or so.  But that's now headed to 35-45 million range with the hugh ends to 50-60 million.   

A rookie QB is more valuable than ever.

@wit33 i think might finally have his thought happen which is the mid tier veteran price tags come down or at a minimum you can't pay some outrageous sum for a mid tier QB. 

The QB spot salary wise is going well beyond incremental inflation range which is making the point how valuable a top 8 type of QBs are -- teams that have them will pay whatever it takes to keep them thus pushing these salaries up.

But in turn, its making the rookie Qb salary an even bigger money cheat code.  And likewise it would make this team look even dumber for not taking a QB high in this draft assuming they like one.

Even the top ones arent really working out. Take KC for example this year. They have struggled with dropped passes and boneheaded plays from the WR position because they could not afford to keep veteran guys there. Imagine that team with Hill right now. And then look at them without him. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

All those NFL guys who passed on eb knew what they were doing. Eb was apparently somewhat useful in his bubble-wrapped role on Reid's staff, safely cocooned and limited.

But there were always well sourced questions as to just how much a factor he was in unassisted scheming 

I think keeping his name alive as an hc candidate and puffing up his cred was an Andy pet project with good motives.

His ceiling is likely not as bottom line deficient as I think he's been here, but I sure hope he's on the bus with everyone else that Ron hired.

• Like 12
  • Thumb up 3

36 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

Spent the past week some digesting QB options and I do think this is a really intriguing class. It's a REALLY good time to be picking in the top 5. Some kneejerk amateur takes: 

-Williams makes some of the most stunning plays I've ever seen. He's also has a tremendous amount he needs to clean up in the NFL. He needs to be more careful with the ball (in the pocket, running, etc), and learn how to work within a system so he can take his singles and doubles and be more selective about when to take shots. Elite traits: arm strength, creativity, elusiveness. NFL high end comp: some blend between Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes. Low end: stronger arm Kyler Murray. 
-Maye has the best pure arm talent to make high level NFL throws. He's also a great playmaker and athlete, and most other class would be a hands down #1 overall imo. NFL comp: Justin Herbert, little bit of Stafford's arm imo
-Daniels is one hell of a runner and throws a nice deep ball but makes me nervous. I can't think of a good NFL comp that's had a successful career. People point to Lamar but he's not anywhere near the passer Lamar was in college. He's also a bit older. As intriguing as he looks on the highlight reel, I'd be hesitant to take him in the top 10. NFL comp: RG3 
-JJ McCarthy is being significantly overlooked. While he lacks the highest upside of Williams and Maye, his work out of the pocket, and his instincts escaping the pocket, look the cleanest out of the bunch. He's a day 1 starter. Doesn't have quite the top 5 QB upside that Maye does, but I can absolutely see him having the most successful career out of this class. NFL comp: Kirk Cousins but better physical traits.

Maye's my guy at 2-3 (even if it involves trading up a spot or two). But I would not feel bad at all about landing McCarthy, who I think will go way earlier than the media is currently projecting. 

I agree with some of this, disagree with some of it.  But I like it when someone explains their takes versus just saying they like or not like a player in a definitive way without explaining why.   So good stuff IMO.

As for McCarthy, I like him, too.  Outside of Caleb, he's my favorite off platform (throw on the move) QB in this group.   He's efficient as a passer and has some serious wheels.  Good arm strength -- not great IMO.  Michigan though doesn't seem to put a lot on his plate.  They rely heavily on the run game.  I'd like to see him in a Bieniemy style -- throw the ball like mad to see how he plays in that context.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

JayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJayJay

😛😁💩🤡👹

giphy.gif

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Even the top ones arent really working out. Take KC for example this year. They have struggled with dropped passes and boneheaded plays from the WR position because they could not afford to keep veteran guys there. Imagine that team with Hill right now. And then look at them without him. 

Yeah but they've won I believe 12 games or more for his whole tenure, their one down season still might end up being the best season this franchise has had in the last 30 years.

But I agree with the sentiment.   A rookie QB contract has never been this valuable. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KDawg said:

Maye is my favorite prospect of the three big ones… he’s by far the safest.

But I don’t think you go safe in the top 3.

So if I had my choice at who fell to us I’d take Daniels.

His bust potential is through the roof. But if he hits… he’s the X factor. 

I keep watching Williams games and even highlights to try to like him more. I just… don’t.

It’s a lot of sandlot Mahomes stuff on his tape and it seems like it’ll either be a home run or a disaster drafting him. Williams makes me nervous. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Agree and if he feels that way about Chicago, I can't see him being okay with Washington who will be in full transition beginning in 2 weeks. 

He’s from DC though. He’s got plans… Schemes. He keeps talking about getting back together with his old friends. You know, "the gang," he likes to call them. Yeah, you know, they're hatching something, you can count on that.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff