Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

8 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I think I’m completely out on trading up for QBs. The cost is usually too much and QB development is too random. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-draft-what-the-past-decade-says-about-moving-up-for-a-quarterback-plus-some-trade-hypotheticals/amp/

I am with you on not trading up for one. But I also think we should add one in the middle rounds. That is one thing this organization has always failed at. You have to keep spending draft resources on the position. Yes mid round QB's rarely work out. But they do occasionally. Sam is an example of that imo. Plus a mid round QB is far cheaper than a vet backup. 

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Laremy Tunsil is good, but he's not a "true top tier blindsided protector." He's barely better than Charles Leno.  Maybe people don't realize it, but Leno is top ten in OT pass block win rate and top five in OT run block win rate this year, and our offense still sucks.  I question the impact of OTs any more in the shotgun spread era of the NFL.  When you look at the list of the most consistent block winners at OT, it's a whole bunch of no names like Brian O'Neill and Leno and Larry Borom and Garrett Bolles and  Kendall Lamm and Rasheed Walker and Dion Dawkins mixed in there with the pedigreed studs on kickass teams like Lane Johnson and Ronnie Stanley and Penei Sewell.  The 20th best tackle in win rate is just 4% off the number one guy.  Contrast that to pass rush win rate and it's a 12% difference between Myles Garrett and the 20th guy.

You don't need to spend a ton of resources to get food tackle play any more.  We're getting it with Leno already.

I agree. I think Leno is way undervalued here. And I dont think they necessarily need to move on from him this year. It is probably a non issue anyways because I dont think we will end up picking high enough for a star LT anyways. A RT or pro bowl level guard is far more likely in the middle of the 1st round. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I am with you on not trading up for one. But I also think we should add one in the middle rounds. That is one thing this organization has always failed at. You have to keep spending draft resources on the position. Yes mid round QB's rarely work out. But they do occasionally. Sam is an example of that imo. Plus a mid round QB is far cheaper than a vet backup. 

I agree. I think Leno is way undervalued here. And I dont think they necessarily need to move on from him this year. It is probably a non issue anyways because I dont think we will end up picking high enough for a star LT anyways. A RT or pro bowl level guard is far more likely in the middle of the 1st round. 

Yup. Leno is the least of ours worries.  He's very competent and signed to a good deal.  We'll need a replacement soon since he's getting up there in age, but he's not an issue.

• Like 1

Our beloved Commanders are throwing at the highest rate in NFL history, per Sal Vetri at least.

No matter what happens in our front office, I want EB with Sam next year. If the new GM doesn't want the Sam/EB pair, we don't want that GM.  He's trying to make Mahomes out of him and I am here for all of it. 4 playbooks in 4 years... QB is too important a position to let that keep happening.

Edited by RandyHolt

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

We are throwing at the highest rate in history so far?

Bleh.

It’s a byproduct of a pass happy OC paired with a bottom 30 defense. They gotta and they wanna so there are no rails at all 

Edited by Llevron

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Greenberg was very negative about Howell earlier in this season, his take is changing.  I like that.  Open minds.

Screen Shot 2023-11-08 at 7.01.51 PM.png

Mike Greenberg? He’s still struggling with the whole A-A-Ron thing.

Washington's quest to find The Next quarterback has lasted decades. Howell is the 33rd player to start at quarterback since the franchise last won the Super Bowl, after the 1991 season. Since Kirk Cousins last played here in 2017, Washington has started 12 quarterbacks.

It's not a high bar to step over, but Howell, in his second season, certainly hopes he can be the franchise's long-term answer.

"I want to be the quarterback here for a really long time," Howell said. "But how I'm going to get to that point is taking it one day at a time. That's the way I look at it. I never worry about the future."

The future can be difficult to predict in Washington. With a new owner in Josh Harris, nothing is guaranteed for the coaching staff, or football operations staff, beyond this season. And that could impact Howell's future as well.

But the more good games he plays, the more he can cement himself in Washington. Howell has started only 10 games in Washington; the Commanders are 4-5 heading into Sunday's game at the Seattle Seahawks (5-3). There's a long way to go.

"It takes time," before any declaration can be made, Washington left tackle Charles Leno Jr. said.

But Howell has injected hope that perhaps he, indeed, can be the answer. In the last five games, Howell has topped 300 yards three times. He has an NFL-high 1,510 passing yards during that stretch, while tying Tua Tagovailoa and Jalen Hurts for the most touchdowns with 10. Howell also became the first quarterback in franchise history to surpass 2,500 yards in only 10 games.

A week ago, Howell threw for 397 yards and four touchdowns in a loss to Philadelphia.

"We feel we have a quarterback," Rivera said Wednesday. "This franchise has been looking for quite some time and for the first time in a while, I think that that guy might be here."

One reason they traded defensive end Montez Sweat to the Chicago Bears for a second-round pick stemmed from a "paradigm shift" as Rivera said. They also sent defensive end Chase Young to the San Francisco 49ers for a third-round pick, wanting to move on from him, a source said, but also not wanting to pay big money to keep him around. Both players were pending free agents; Sweat signed an extension with Chicago on Saturday.

Rather than invest at one position -- defensive line, where they already signed tackles Daron Payne and Allen to lucrative long-term deals -- they want to spread it around. They also want to build stronger protection for Howell.

Because he's on a rookie deal for the next two seasons, it's an opportunity to invest in building a more complete roster.

"It's going to give us an opportunity to continue to build for the future and do things a little differently," Rivera said. "There may be a little bit of a shift in how we're going to construct things."

But a big key to that shift remains Howell.

Sunday, he made plays with his arm, lofting a perfectly placed 33-yard touchdown pass to receiver Jahan Dotson down the middle. The Patriots tried to fool him with a delayed blitz, but it didn't matter. He received good protection and threw the pass as calmly as if he was tossing a wad of paper into a trash can.

Howell made plays with his legs, scrambling away from a blitz pressure and then throwing back to the other side of the field to a wide-open Byron Pringle, who turned it into a 26-yard gain.

Sam Howell added 27 rushing yards to his 325 passing yards against the Patriots. CJ Gunther/EPA

In the last two weeks Howell has attempted a combined 15 passes of 20 yards or more downfield, a byproduct of feeling comfortable again in the pocket with improved protection -- and of not letting the league-leading 44 sacks he's taken impact him. He had averaged 3.5 such throws in his first seven games when he was sacked a combined 40 times.

"You've got guys getting open down the field and he does a great job of keeping his eyes down the field," Washington receiver Terry McLaurin said. "That's one of the better attributes he's developed over the course of the season."

Howell also ran 24 yards on a third-and-23 to pick up a first down late in the first half. Though he called his interception five plays later "one of the worst plays in my career." The Patriots had five players defending two Commanders in the end zone, making it a poor decision.

Rivera has mentioned that determining whether Howell can be the solution is a big part of this season. The organization wants to find out if what they're seeing now can last a while. The more they see, the more they can learn and know for sure.

Howell has had tougher games, too.

..."I thought it was all right," Howell said of his day. "I did some good things, made some good plays. I've just got to find a way to play better at certain times."

Howell still takes a lot of hits; he was sacked three more times Sunday even though Washington's protection held up well vs. a variety of stunts and delayed blitzes. On one of those, Howell was drilled as he unloaded a deep out to McLaurin for a 26-yard gain -- throwing to an open spot and letting him run under the ball.

"You can tell he's getting more comfortable in this offense," McLaurin said, "getting more comfortable with the looks he's getting and you can tell he's being decisive. It's really good to see at this point in the season."

The question then becomes: How will it look at the end of the season? And will Howell leave no doubt about whether he should be the future?

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Mike Greenberg? He’s still struggling with the whole A-A-Ron thing.

Nick.   The numbers guys from the WP.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

33 minutes ago, Llevron said:

It’s a byproduct of a pass happy OC paired with a bottom 30 defense. They gotta and they wanna so there are no rails at all 

Pass-happy is an understatement. More like obsessed. We're basically KC East Coast wannabees.

Mercifully, EB kinda solved the sack fiesta of the first-half of the season. We're still second-worst in that regard though bc the Giants just passed us (49 vs 44).

2 hours ago, Stihl89 said:

Pretty much every piece of analytical data is not particularly fond of Sam 

Those analytics mostly seem to say that Sam is a middle of the pack NFL QB at this point. Which is pretty much correct, and not too shabby for a guy with only 10 starts.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Those analytics mostly seem to say that Sam is a middle of the pack NFL QB at this point. Which is pretty much correct, and not too shabby for a guy with only 10 starts.

On the season, yes. The last two games I think he’s much closer to top 5.

We’ll see how it all shakes out.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1