Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

8 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Pickings are getting slim..Hope we take care of this soon.  A Legit backup is kind of essential. 

My hopes are Bridgewater/Mayfield/Minshew in that order.

I’m thinking Baker will hold out for a starting job somewhere, all the powers that be on NFL Network were saying TB was interested in Mayfield, but haven’t heard anything remotely regarding that yesterday or today 

5 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

I’m thinking Baker will hold out for a starting job somewhere, all the powers that be on NFL Network were saying TB was interested in Mayfield, but haven’t heard anything remotely regarding that yesterday or today 

Probably right, Also Brissett that I left off but I’m figuring he’s also out of our price range..

Choices are definitely running out, clock is ticking. 

• Like 1

I posted it in the FA thread but Matt Ryan would run our whole offseason program if you brought him here. Dang near player coach and the guy who demands of his team and players look up to.

In a vacuum that's great but in context to Howell, that's a heck of a shadow to hang over a kid. It will weigh on him hard.

He is quite literally too good of a leader.

• Like 2

Just now, Ghost of said:

*weathered faces in a dark room. One face moves just into view in the dim lighting.*

"H has been moved off the chess board. What now?"

'Ryan? He's good.'

"Yeah, TOO good. We need a mediocre leader."

Its a dangerous thing. Like Jordan on the Wizards.

It is hard for grass to grow in shade. You get a presence that overbearing and it becomes very difficult for young guys to grow.

From a team standpoint, I'd like the move better than a lot of other available options. But from a Howell standpoint that would be one of the toughest roads you could possibly send him down.

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

Knowing Ron, we're going to sign Matt Ryan. 

The interesting thing about Ryan is that he's due $12 mil after being released whether he plays or not.  He'd probably be really cheap although I think he's spent.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

The interesting thing about Ryan is that he's due $12 mil after being released whether he plays or not.  He'd probably be really cheap although I think he's spent.

He’d be perfectly fine as a backup. If he’s going to be cheap, he’s probably headed to Philly to back up Hurts. It’s his hometown team and he knows the offense and it is his chance to be a ride along for a Super Bowl

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

30 minutes ago, method man said:

It is totally disgusting but don't rule out Wentz. He and Howell are buddies and he can go win you a game if you need him to, especially in the Reid WCO. He is also not going to win a locker room over Howell

I don't think there's a way they can bring Wentz back. With the way he played in the Cleveland game with the playoffs on the line, nobody would have any confidence in him if he had to play.

Everything else you said makes sense.  He probably knows the system already because it's kindof what Pederson runs.  

But there's really no way Ron can re-introduce him into the locker room and any player would have any confidence in him if he had to play.

JP made a good point on his podcast.  Make it uncomplicated.  Wentz would be complicated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

It looked brittle with TH here.

It’s Howell and Fromm. 

Ohh baby, you guys really like to live dangerously.

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think it looks like unlimited potential without a no talent anchor.

But to each their own.

I agree. Problem is now we NEED a veteran QB. That's my point here.

3 hours ago, Jumbo said:

With zero ill intent, get it all out of your system by Wednesday, amigo. Then the move will be official and the heinie stuff will go in ATN since it will be about a falcon back up. 🙂

No ill intent felt, bro.

As a fan of 36 years I can keep my cool when yet another QB leaves this team.

But that doesn't make my initial comment any less true: we are REALLY thin at QB right now.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't think there's a way they can bring Wentz back. With the way he played in the Cleveland game with the playoffs on the line, nobody would have any confidence in him if he had to play.

Everything else you said makes sense.  He probably knows the system already because it's kindof what Pederson runs.  

But there's really no way Ron can re-introduce him into the locker room and any player would have any confidence in him if he had to play.

JP made a good point on his podcast.  Make it uncomplicated.  Wentz would be complicated.

I tend to totally agree w/everything you stated but I actually don’t see the lockerroom being a issue, for all reports we heard it wasn’t anything locker room related w/anyone when it came to Wentz and his time here, and to be honest the way the world is and we have to admit it sports in general it’s more about I then it is about team, if Wentz came back on a very friendly contract I don’t see any issues w/anyone in the locker room… having said all that I’m not in favor of bringing him back but I also wouldn’t give up my fandom either if they would 

Heinicke is gone.....and Howell will be up to the plate next. By week 3 we will have found out that although his arm is strong his footwork is his downfall and we need to look to the draft to get the next generational QB at pick 14. We will sign CY and Sweat to multi year deals and look to FA for some quality low tier Oline fat boys to protect Zach Wilson in 24. 

Gotta love the new look Redwolves!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Command The 414 said:

I tend to totally agree w/everything you stated but I actually don’t see the lockerroom being a issue, for all reports we heard it wasn’t anything locker room related w/anyone when it came to Wentz and his time here, and to be honest the way the world is and we have to admit it sports in general it’s more about I then it is about team, if Wentz came back on a very friendly contract I don’t see any issues w/anyone in the locker room… having said all that I’m not in favor of bringing him back but I also wouldn’t give up my fandom either if they would 

Nobody would have a problem with him as a person. 

But nobody would have any confidence in him.  Not the coaches, not the players, probably not even himself.

He might be out of the league. 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Well, we don’t NEED one.  We probably should get one though.

I think we will sign somebody. 

And it will be ok.  

Slim pickings right now in the FA front.

Howell is a rookie basically.

Full panic mode engaged.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, El Mexican said:

Full panic mode engaged.

Why panic?

Either Sam balls it and we find our franchise qb or he sucks eggs and we draft high enough to get that franchise qb in the 24 draft.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Conn said:

I swore I was done but this is the sort of thing I struggle to let pass. No he absolutely didn’t, he made “business decisions” left and right in ways that demonstrably hurt the team, because he wanted to hit FA healthy. 

I don’t blame him at all for that, this league is rough and there’s no loyalty and a nice contract was waiting for him. My gripe is not with him, we weren’t going to the Super Bowl anyways.

My gripe is with the blind people who delude themselves into this legendary version of Heinicke, a guy who plays every play like it’s his last and sacrifices his body for the game and the fans. That guy lasted like one, two games max. He doesn’t exist anymore (and to be fair, that’s why he was able to make more money, so I get it). But he did not “always give it everything he had”.

Woah there Con.

You are going to the other extreme of broad brushing, when many of us (me) are waxing poetic about some sweet memories in this bog of pig manure that has been the last 30 years of our preferred franchise.

(I choose to celebrate the dive into the end zone to get us into the playoffs and the 2 "F### it ..  Terry's down there" throws with his eyes closed and the team rallying around it TH. The Jordans, the Chase Young shot where he's pointing to TH's last name..etc.etc.).

There is no doubt that every NFL player in the last 25 years have been making financial decisions.   Never in doubt, never a question. Doesn't matter.

Football is an emotional sport with an incredible symbiotic relationship with it's fandom.  While no one wants to be on the receiving end of a Alvin Walton hit in the open field..we all can feel for the poor receiver or celebrate with the secondary.

The fuzzy definition of "effort" matters and no one can question the story of TH and how "his effort" good, bad or indifferent was portrayed on the field and subsequently, how it was received by fans across the league, sponsors, the NFL front offices or his peers.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

Full panic mode engaged.

they are all rookies until they are not.  Not sure what there is to panic about.  Plenty of time if that’s even what they want.  

I know we clearly need a back up, but paying a vet decent money will be a whiff for me. You either commit to a Howell or you don’t. All or nothing. I am going to hate us paying a vet any kind of decent money this year. Hopefully those temptations are draining away from us now.