Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Scott more than most as the OC but he hits me a bit like his dad for better and worse -- that is, good play caller but not a leader of men.  He talks like Norv, maybe even a bit more laid back than him, not much of a presence as to his personality.  i can't see guys running through the wall for Scott. 

The hate is wacky, pathological.  Be one thing if Wentz was a bad dude, Jeff George type, but that's not the case

He does not talk like his dad. He has zero mumble in him. Maybe he's not the hype me up type, but he's more of a guy I could see leading men like a Kyle or a Rams coach. But his offense is the thing more than anything, well that and finding a QB when he's a coach. 

3 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

He does not talk like his dad. He has zero mumble in him. Maybe he's not the hype me up type, but he's more of a guy I could see leading men like a Kyle or a Rams coach. But his offense is the thing more than anything, well that and finding a QB when he's a coach. 

I don't mean the mumbiling.  The mannerisms, style, low key demeanor.  If anything Norv strikes me to have a bit more verve in his personality.   Scott comes off to me as nice guy -- but more of the type like the kid in the back room of the classroom maybe making a quip to classmate in an understated way than a dude that leads any pack.  But that's just my sense-read of his personality.  It's subjective. 

If you see Scott as a leader of men, cool.  It's all subjective.    I think i have to be one of his bigger fans on this board and have defended him plenty.  But yeah he doesn't strike me at all as a head coach type of personality in that regard he reminds me a lot of his dad. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The hate is wacky, pathological.  Be one thing if Wentz was a bad dude, Jeff George type, but that's not the case

Well, if you listen to Thom Lovero, you would swear he shot Kennedy, Murdered Hoffa, caused the Challenger to explode and was responsible for the death of Princess Diana.  

• Haha 7

52 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Well, if you listen to Thom Lovero, you would swear he shot Kennedy, Murdered Hoffa, caused the Challenger to explode and was responsible for the death of Princess Diana.  

Jeez...he can't have done all of that...I mean Snyder has to have done some of that right?  I mean save some hate material.🤪

Edited by gbear
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I thought the oddest take from Sheehan initially on the trade was he seemed to think poorly of how Wentz is as a dude.  I notice of late on his radio show he's finally backed off on that.

I haven't listened to Thom in awhile. 

Bringing this back to the national media, I don't get why he's their favorite punching bag considering Wentz seems to be a nice guy.   I guess D. Watson has overtaken Wentz on that front but that has nothing to do with Watson's play.  

Darnold who has had a wretched career with really hardly any peaks isn't goofed on as much -- Panthers gave up almost the same amount as we did for Wentz -- yet that trade at the time by the national media was deemed by most as "smart".  I guess the same national media doesn't want to goof on that trade now that much because they'd be admitting their own mistake. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Mayfield himself was another odd punching bag, but not nearly to the same level as Wentz. Early on, he was getting trashed because he wasn't crowned the starter on day 1 with the team and didn't bypass the "competition".

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Sammy "The Bull" Gravano already said Wentz didn't at least kill Hoffa... 🤣

• Haha 3

I have to admit, I havent felt as positive about a rookie QB since I really wanted the skins to draft Drew Brees. So I dont normally have many thoughts on rookie qb's, even when we had the rookie of the Year. I just hope my hunch is as correct this time as it was way back when Brees fell in the draft. Note he didnt,fall nearly as far, so maybe my hunches are closer to some thing I ate.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I thought the oddest take from Sheehan initially on the trade was he seemed to think poorly of how Wentz is as a dude.  I notice of late on his radio show he's finally backed off on that.

Thom is on Sheehan's podcast.  When I listen to Sheehan, it's typically his podcast.  He and Thom do have good chemistry, and when they aren't just completely trashing everything, it can be entertaining.

Thom came out and said he was in an "any means necessary" mode to get rid of Snyder, and if that meant lying, he was fine with it.  Sheehan tempered it and said he wanted whatever brought Dan down to at least be true, and Thom would have none of it.  Basically, he said he was going to go scorched earth. It didn't matter what was true or not, the ends justified the means.   Which, of course, now taints anything he says about anything.

Thom's recent stuff about Wentz has been that he's such a locker room cancer, evidence by the fact the Eagles and Indy couldn't wait to get rid of him (and that isn't entirely based in fact) the locker room and fan base would be clamoring for TH (and apparently he recently added Howell) by week 10.  And he's made these "bold predictions" as Wentz has started to look more comfortable in the offense and played pretty well in the preseason game. 

Back to your point, what is REALLY odd about Sheehan's take is he is absolutely in love with Kirk, and never, ever, ever passes up an opportunity to say how right he was about Kirk, and you could argue Wentz has almost an identical personality to Kirk.  They are both kindof nerds, extremely religious, mid-west guys who have a reputation of being a bit aloof and not connecting with all of their teammates.  I mean, the similarities are shocking.

Yet he will defend Kirk to his dying day and he has trashed Wentz repeatedly.

When he was on Galdi's podcast, Al said his view of the trade had changed some due to learning more, and he asked Sheehan if his view had changed, and Sheehan said, "No."  Basically they overpaid for a QB who was going to be released who nobody wanted and Ron shouldn't have taken the whole salary, and he didn't buy any of the spin coming out of Ashburn that Wentz wasn't a **** person and teammate.  Maybe he's softened some in the last 3 weeks, but that was his stance right before training camp.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bringing this back to the national media, I don't get why he's their favorite punching bag considering Wentz seems to be a nice guy.   I guess D. Watson has overtaken Wentz on that front but that has nothing to do with Watson's play.  

Darnold who has had a wretched career with really hardly any peaks isn't goofed on as much -- Panthers gave up almost the same amount as we did for Wentz -- yet that trade at the time by the national media was deemed by most as "smart".  I guess the same national media doesn't want to goof on that trade now that much because they'd be admitting their own mistake. 

1. I don't trust USC quarterbacks. Never have, never will.

2. I knew he was dunzo the minute he talked about "seeing ghosts" in an aweful lose to the Patriots.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But to say TH gives the team a better chance to win, I don't buy that because he didn't last year.  He played one good game, and they won a bunch of games because they played better defense and ran the ball.  I keep bringing this up: In the Seattle game, they went 3-out 4 consecutive times in the second half, and only won really because they were forced to go for 2 on an early TD because their kicker got hurt.  

If Howell needs more time to develop, I get it.  But this notion that playing a rookie would derail the season is odd given TH didn't have that much more experience last year at this time. 

You are having surgery.  Your health insurance gives you a choice of two doctors. One has previous experience of +1 year and the other doctor is just out of school and never performed solo...But he got good test scores in school!

Which one do you pick for your Penis Enlargement?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Back to your point, what is REALLY odd about Sheehan's take is he is absolutely in love with Kirk, and never, ever, ever passes up an opportunity to say how right he was about Kirk, and you could argue Wentz has almost an identical personality to Kirk.  They are both kindof nerds, extremely religious, mid-west guys who have a reputation of being a bit aloof and not connecting with all of their teammates.  I mean, the similarities are shocking.

Yet he will defend Kirk to his dying day and he has trashed Wentz repeatedly.

When he was on Galdi's podcast, Al said his view of the trade had changed some due to learning more, and he asked Sheehan if his view had changed, and Sheehan said, "No."  Basically they overpaid for a QB who was going to be released who nobody wanted and Ron shouldn't have taken the whole salary, and he didn't buy any of the spin coming out of Ashburn that Wentz wasn't a **** person and teammate.  Maybe he's softened some in the last 3 weeks, but that was his stance right before training camp.

Kirk and Wentz's personality seem to be similar, I agree.  I've made that point a bunch.  Kirk granted has had a better run than Wentz has as far as consistency at the QB spot.  But both dudes have the rap of not playing well in big games.  Both have the rap of being aloof and not everyone's cup of tea in the locker room.  Both uber religious.  Both accused by some who know them of being a phony. 

The anaylitic guys seem to love Kirk for the most part but the national media not so much.  Wentz likewise isn't loved by the national media but also isn't liked by the analytic guys.  Both to some extent are national punchlines.  Both IMO don't deserve to be.  Both can be easily defended with numbers. 

But yeah guys like Sharp trash Wentz like he's garbage and yet extoll Kirk.  Don't get me wrong i do think Kirk is the better QB over Wentz if they keep on this trajectory.  But, these same anayltic types are big on betting on upside.  And when you are talking upside, Wentz has it over Kirk and actually most of the QBs in the league.  So why trash a swing for the fences attempt by this team?

As for Sheehan and Kirk.  A lot of that is he thinks Bruce flubbed the negotiation and also potential trade possibilities.  He's IMO 100% right.  A total Bruce debacle which he decided to double down on as to how he dealt with Trent.  While Howie Roseman has been playing chess as for getting trade value for assets -- Bruce was playing Candyland and being schooled IMO.  If Bruce were here, I'd bet they'd have traded a first for Jimmy G.  Jimmy G screams to me to be a Bruce type player.

Sheehan, also like the anaylitic guys touted betting on upside.  Heck he tried to sell Sam Darnold that way.   Now, he hates the idea?  But yeah he has backed off some in his radio programs including saying he likes Wentz > Mayfield because of Wentz's upside.  He's touted how professional Wentz comes off in his interviews and handles himself well.

I'll say this is Wentz starts off hot, I'd love to hear Cooley on his podcast considering Cooley loved Wentz when he was in Philly.  So Sheehan would be backed in a corner if that went down. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1