Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

@Koolblue13 Not sure I like the title of this thread. Winning the Wentz way could also mean losing with Wentz if he ends up with 6 wins. Not much of a win at all. Don't want you to curse Wentz- some believe in that stuff. Personally the title that works for me is: The Official Commanders QB Discussion Thread. You could even put 2022 in the title as well so we can start a new thread next year. Just a thought since it should be about all the QBs on the roster at any given time.

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

There’s only 1 QB on this roster that will realistically effect whether the season is a success or not, let’s be honest. It’s Wentz. We’re in ride or die mode. 

Appear that this thread is worthless then if that is your attitude, Again anything but history  in this context is BS!!!!!!!

• Confused 2

Re: the athletic piece, which I referenced (but didn't quote) and then @kingdaddy quoted.

If I were still a betting man, and I had 100 chips as to who the executive that floated that quote to Sando was, I'd put:

80% - Somebody from the Indy organization, either Irsay directly, because he is an "executive" or Ballard. I doubt it would be Reich.  

5% - an executive from the Browns who are bitter they still have Mayfield and really wish they were rid of him (as far as I can see, he's still on the Browns)

5% - a GM from within the NFC East who just likes to take shots at the commanders.

5% - Beane, who's still butt hurt because we got McKissic.

5% - a retired exec, probably that ass hat from the Eagles, I think Joe Banner

Also, the Athletic has been EXTRODINARILY down on the trade from the get go.  I've posted this previously, all of the Indy reporters seem to be reading from a script handed to them by Jim Irsay.  And the Indy guys from the Athletic are leading that charge.  They have been on just about every radio show/podcast saying the same thing.  I know I've heard them on Galdi and Sheehan.  They have been saying the same things from day 1, and it's always felt like it was coordinated through the Colt's PR department, because it's been so consistently on message.  

I think it's complete and total dribble.  Not because I love the trade, or have delusions that Wentz is going to magically turn into John Elway, but because it's exactly the same stuff the Athletic has been reporting since the day of the trade.  Almost verbatim.  So you have to consider the source.  

I take ALL of the "this is what one executive says" pieces from wherever they are published with a huge grain of salt.  If you are asking a current NFL executive to comment on other teams off-season, because none of them are unbiased.  They all have an agenda.  And if you look at history, 1/4 of them will be fired in the next 2 years, so who knows if they source is even good at their job?  

For example, if Bruce Allen fed a line to Sando about the Dallas off-season 2 years ago, he would have been an executive.  Is his opinion really worth anything?  I THINK NOT.

6 minutes ago, Conn said:

There’s only 1 QB on this roster that will realistically effect whether the season is a success or not, let’s be honest. It’s Wentz. We’re in ride or die mode. 

CAREFUL.  DO NOT FORGET YOUR OATH!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Per NBCSportsEdge: (The Athletics Mike Sando)

The Commanders in March acquired Wentz and a second rounder from the Colts in exchange for a second-round pick and two third rounders. Washington agreed to pay Wentz's $28 million guaranteed compensation, a perplexing concession if no other team wanted Wentz after the disastrous end to his one season in Indianapolis. “If you polled the entire league and said you can have Taylor Heinicke for $2 million and you have $26 million to spend plus two third-round picks, or you can have Carson Wentz, I’m pretty sure the majority would prefer Heinicke,” an executive told Sando. “I’d rather have Baker Mayfield and $8 million.” Washington's pursuit of Wentz speaks to the organization's desperation for a viable starting quarterback after Heinicke was exposed in 2021. Wentz's best case scenario is a few years as the team's QB before they can draft and develop a long-term option. 

Any GM that actually holds that view about TH should be fired. 

23 minutes ago, zCommander said:

@Koolblue13 Not sure I like the title of this thread. Winning the Wentz way could also mean losing with Wentz if he ends up with 6 wins. Not much of a win at all. Don't want you to curse Wentz- some believe in that stuff. Personally the title that works for me is: The Official Commanders QB Discussion Thread. You could even put 2022 in the title as well so we can start a new thread next year. Just a thought since it should be about all the QBs on the roster at any given time.

We only have one starting qb and a third stringer, who will be out of the nfl in 23 as a player.

The season rides or sinks with Carson not some 3rd stringer.

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I read a piece on the Athletic where "executives" commented on the off-season so far for each team.  It came out a few days ago, so somebody else ( @Skinsinparadise ) might have referenced it somewhere already.  But I just read it last night.  

Basically, all of them trashed the Wentz deal.  I believe Sheehan put out a podcast on Saturday where he went through this.  I didn't listen to it, but it was him and Thom, so I assume they also went to town on the trade, again.

I have no idea how Wentz is going to work out.  But damn, do I ever WANT it to work out well.  Not just because I want the team to win, and I think if Wentz plays well, the team will be a playoff contender.  But also because I would really like to "nanner nanner" all the doom and gloom, the glass is not only half empty, but has barbed wire around it and poison in it folks. 

I get the fact Wentz wasn't the ideal choice, but the way people are talking about him, he's like the second coming of Jeff George.  Which, I really don't think is fair.  

I posted the Colts side of that article.  I purposely didn't do the Washington side because it was even more annoyingly harsh.  Here's a new one on the Athletic today quoting a dude from over the cap.

I also include the part of Sando's article that a half agree with.  And half of it I don't.  The problem I have with the hate from the media, especially Sheehan :ols: as for the Wentz narrative is it lacks nuance, lacks grey.  Everything is binary and to stick to that story it requires you to ignore information that inconveiniently gets in the way of their narrative so they just pretend those facts don't even exist.   

No matter how many times we hear that Wentz wanted out of Philly -- it won't matter to those who want to say it was the reverse.  Heck Sheehan even got the real story from an Eagles reporter on his own show, yet will swear up and down that the Eagles couldn't wait to get rid of him.  He ignores the COVID narrative in Indy.  And its not just him, its anyone who wants to kill this.

Their narrative is the Eagles wanted to unload Wentz and would take the cap hit because they wanted him out that bad.  (4 different Eagles reporters have said that is 100% false).  And the Indy narrative is they couldn't wait to get rid of him, too.  (that's partly false, its true from the context of Irsay).  So case closed.  And Sheehan among others cling to this odd narrative that Carson is a bad guy.  At least most of the local reporters who thought that initially have backed off of that part of the narrative as more information has crept in.

To me Wentz has to be the most mischaracterized player I can recall in a long time.

Do i think Rivera was played by Ballard to some extent?  Yes.  I do think Rivera could get him cheaper.  So I do agree with the narrative that in order to buy the house in the nice neighborhood, Rivera paid over retail and was likely pushed to do it by smart negotiating in Chris Ballard.  But I think the deal alone doesn't define the outcome.  They still IMO landed a nice home in a nice neighborhood.

IMO if they presented a balanced-honest take on this it would be something like this:

A.  Positive:  The Eagles wanted to keep Wentz.  So did Reich and probably Ballard, too.  Wentz has one of the highest upside QBs in the league.  At his best he's a clear top 10 QB.  He played better last year after a down 2020.  If Wentz finds his mojo which he might considering he's a competitive and hard working guy -- the Commanders might have discovered their franchise QB hitting his prime. 

B.  Negative:  Wentz hasn't been the same since 2017.  He's been injured and perhaps isn't the same dude anymore.  To add to that maybe he lost some of his confidence.  Even some who like him say he isn't clutch or consistent.  So is he going to find that consistency in Washington or is he just going to be a middle of the road QB and why pay 28 million for that?

I am more of the A mode than B mode.  but if some want to argue B there are at least some facts to back it up.  The idea if the Eagles and Colts couldn't wait to move on -- case closed -- which is the predominant criticism looks to be big time BS. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 1.59.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 2.01.45 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Koolblue13 changed the title to The Official QB Thread- For Discussing Carson Wentz. The Only NFL caliber QB on our roster.
29 minutes ago, zCommander said:

You got it champ. Title changed.

• Haha 5
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Conn said:

This is fair. And we don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt whatsoever, of course. 

I guess.  I am getting tired of that though. 

THIS group of people have been in charge for 2 years.  And with one exception, they really haven't soiled themselves or looked ridiculously stupid at anything football related. 

The exception is their first round pick last year so far hasn't worked out.

Otherwise?  They've done a pretty good job keeping the bits of the roster which were good, and turning over the ones which weren't, and they have acted professionally.  I'm not suggesting they are flawless, or elite, but they also aren't the bumbling idiot Bruce was. Yet they are inheriting his and Dan's legacy of lunacy.  

The obvious caveat is Dan.  Dan is still there.  But, and maybe I'm naïve, but I REALLY don't think he has a lot to do with football ops these days.  Not because I think he's had some huge change of heart, or because he has seen the light, just because none of the moves really are "Dan" moves. Everything really feels like a Ron move.

IF the Commanders would have done the Browns deal for Watson, I would have said THAT felt like a Dan move, albeit a Dan circa 2000 - 2009 type of move.   

But we didn't.  And we haven't.  And a couple of his favorites (Haskins first (RIP), and then Collins) have been cut.  Trent was traded to San Fran, where you KNOW Dan hates Kyle.  

All this stuff feels like Ron to me.  For better or worse.  And for that, I know they don't get the benefit of the doubt, but that's mostly based on the last 30 years, and less on the last 2 years.  And to me, that's frustrating.

Ok, /rant.  (which, @Conn wasn't directed at you.)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You got it champ. Title changed.

You almost had it. But your ego got the best of you and had to add the snide remark at the end with the Only thing....:rolleyes:

Your OP said this thread was about "how would you address the position moving forward. This year and next and down the road?". I guess this has now been addressed and this thread just needs to die now. Kind of pointless to talk about Wentz and dare to even try to compare him to anyone else. We wouldn't want your feelings to get hurt and all.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 2.01.45 PM.png

Hasn't that part been at least partially debunked?  I swear I heard somewhere, and I think more than one place, that there was more than one team in for Wentz.  Maybe it was Keim.  I trust Keim, but I also know where his sources are, so it's possible that was fed to him by the Commanders.  But I doubt he would have reported it if he didn't confirm it.  

I also think they maybe overpaid for Wentz.  Somewhere in there, it said they were desperate.  Damn right they were desperate.  They didn't have a starting QB, they didn't love any of the guys in the draft, and Wilson turned them down, Rodgers wasn't going anywhere, Jimmy just had shoulder surgery, Carr was staying put, this was before the Watson fiasco with the Browns, so Ryan wasn't available, nor was Baker Baker the Touchdown Maker.  They were staring at somebody like Mitch Trubisky/Teddy Bridgewater (Who I think they could have gotten if they wanted to)/Andy Dalton plus possibly having to trade UP in the draft to get a QB they don't really love. 

That is the definition of desperate.  Sometimes there's nothing wrong with being desperate.  It's just the state you are in.

So, yeah, they were desperate.  There is a saying, "necessity is the mother of invention."  

They were desperate.  They had a necessity.  They had to invent something.

I wish the Colts picked up some of the cap hit.  But if taking the whole hit is what it took not to be the Panthers, who are going to have to try and make it work with Darnold and a draft pick, my God, sign me up for that.  Twice.  Seattle is sitting with Drew Lock and maybe a draft pick.  I don't like that either.  (Though they might get Baker. I'd be more intrigued by that, but eh, still not confidence inducing.)

I'd take what we paid 10 times out of 10 not to be in either of those situations. Darnold can't play.  I don't think Locke can play. I don't know if Baker can play.  

We traded for somebody who CAN play.  Now we don't have to force the draft.  And if Wentz stinks, we'll be picking in the top 10, Ron is smart enough to bench him before the 3rd becomes a 2nd in 2023, and we'll do it all over again. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, zCommander said:

You almost had it. But your ego got the best of you and had to add the snide remark at the end with the Only thing....:rolleyes:

Your OP said this thread was about "how would you address the position moving forward. This year and next and down the road?". I guess this has now been addressed and this thread just needs to die now. Kind of pointless to talk about Wentz and dare to even try to compare him to anyone else. We wouldn't want your feelings to get hurt and all.

Go lay down

• Haha 4

As an aside, I almost broke my oath.  But I didn't. It was hard.  I had the perfect meme all lined up.  I resisted the urge to be drawn in.  Unlike Michael Corleone, when I try to get out, they can't pull me back in!  (Probably the only good line from Godfather Part III). 

(I would paste an image of Oath Keeper, the Game of Thrones sword here, but I can't find a good one and I'm not going to spend time looking.)

So imagine a picture of a big sword here.  

I leave you in peace, still beholden to my scared oath.  

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Even funnier when the Eagles pick an impact player with the Colts 1rst rounder, while Wentz is winning us games.

I am not sure the Eagles getting an impact player will have us smiling for long 🙂

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I am not sure the Eagles getting an impact player will have us smiling for long 🙂

Yeah.  I think the damage to the Colts has already been done.  They gave up a first for a one year rental.

In any scenario, that's bad.  Yeah, that's basically all they gave up in the end because of the off-setting 2's and 3's with us and the Falcons.  But they gave up a first.  

I don't know why they're not taking more heat for that.  

I'd prefer they take heat for that AND the Eagles blow the pick.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Unfortunately I think they got one last year in Devonta Smith who is going to be a real pain for us for a long time to come. They don't need another play maker this year!

In regards to desperation, prior to the Wentz deal there was some talk amongst the fanbase that Rivera should be wearing a poker face and not advertising our void at the QB position.

I disagreed because the entire world already knows we’re desperate.  For him to sit in front of a microphone and lie, that he’s content with what he has serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever. Nobody is buying that.

Fast forward to negotiating the Wentz deal.  Ballard knew damn well he had Ron over a barrel, not because Ron told the world he was desperate, but because everyone saw the team play last year and it’s going into his 3rd season and he had no QB.

It’s possible he could have gotten Wentz for less, but he wasn’t negotiating from a position of power.  They offered the moon for Wilson and he would hear nothing of it.  You can sense the frustration he has with shouldering the burden that is Dan Snyder’s two+ decades of destroying this franchise, as it leaks into everything - even if he’s not directly tied to current events.  He had to take a home run swing in order to not add another failed acquisition to his resume.

For those who believe we drastically overpaid for Wentz, let’s just pretend Wilson would entertain coming here…

Can you imagine how much we would have to give up to make that happen?  I realize Wilson > Wentz, but the cost would also be much, much greater.  

Ron is in a beggars position with this franchise and still has work to do in order to get into the position of a chooser.  This is why I can’t get bent out of shape about what he gave up to make it happen.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 4

I genuinely think we are very fortunate to have Wentz on the roster this season. A marginal overpay and a contract similar to what tier one receivers are now getting.

It is what it is. 

If Wentz fails here, Rivera and Turner should be fired. I think Wentz is an excellent fit for us. They need to make it work.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, method man said:

Don't be shocked given all the QBs coming to the AFC. They do play the AFC West this year and will be tested

They play in a REALLY crap division though.  Tennessee is, in my opinion, a paper tiger.  Tennessee, Indy, Jax and Houston.  

This is one of those "I don't have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you" type of things.

And Indy with Ryan should be pretty good, unless Ryan has hit the wall.  

The question is Tennessee.  Are they going to be able to be good again with Tannehill?  I keep waiting for him to regress back to suck, but he just doesn't seem to.  He's been a solid, middle of the road, 12-15 type QB for 3 years now.  Maybe that's what he is?  (Side note, does anybody know if he's still married to that absolute ridiculous hottie?  I think she was with him at the draft and got more coverage than he did.  Or something like that. One way or the other, Ryan is winning life. I don't care enough to look that up, and I haven't thought about it in years.  But I haven't really thought about Tannehill in years, if I'm being honest...)  

It WILL be tough for them to get a Wildcard.  You'd think at least 3 teams are coming out of the AFC West with KC, Las Vegas, LAC and Denver. One division winner and 2 wildcards.  I can't really picture a scenario where all 4 teams in a division make the playoffs, but in a 17 game season, that MIGHT be possible?  

I think both the Dolphins and Patriots will have better records this year, just based on additions they've made, and Matt Jones is going into year 2 with Bill B. and that has to be helpful.  

And the AFC North has Baltimore and Cincy, and now with Watson in Cleveland, they are a wildcard. I don't forsee big things for Pittsburgh. But they always seem to be lurking around...

The path for Indy is clear: win the damn division.  If they are competing for a wildcard spot, it's going to be TOUGH. But they do have a great running game, and a good defense.  

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I genuinely think we are very fortunate to have Wentz on the roster this season. A marginal overpay and a contract similar to what tier one receivers are now getting.

It is what it is. 

If Wentz fails here, Rivera and Turner should be fired. I think Wentz is an excellent fit for us. They need to make it work.

Eh, I'm not sure about all that.  I think it would depend on context. 

But I do think they now have a QB that puts them on the "hot seat" of "you finally have a QB that at least can play."  I guess they had that with Fitzy last year. But he was also 98 years old.  And a journeyman.  I get Wentz is on his third team in 3 years, but I still don't think he's really a journeyman.  He's a legitimate starter in the NFL, as of right now.  

So I would say the pressure is on.

One thing: I think the offense is going to improve throughout the year as Wentz gets more comfortable.  This will be a brand new system to him.  And brand new teammates.  New coaches.  New everything.  I think it's going to take some time to get it all worked out.  

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But I do think they now have a QB that puts them on the "hot seat" of "you finally have a QB that at least can play."  I guess they had that with Fitzy last year. But he was also 98 years old.  And a journeyman.  I get Wentz is on his third team in 3 years, but I still don't think he's really a journeyman.  He's a legitimate starter in the NFL, as of right now.  

So I would say the pressure is on.

One thing: I think the offense is going to improve throughout the year as Wentz gets more comfortable.  This will be a brand new system to him.  And brand new teammates.  New coaches.  New everything.  I think it's going to take some time to get it all worked out.  

Agreed. They need to make it work, I don’t necessarily mean full on year one. But he should work out in my opinion. Should.

Turner is also on a new deal now aligned to Rivera’s contract, and Wentz perhaps from memory. Pressure is on.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Hasn't that part been at least partially debunked?  I swear I heard somewhere, and I think more than one place, that there was more than one team in for Wentz.  Maybe it was Keim.  I trust Keim, but I also know where his sources are, so it's possible that was fed to him by the Commanders.  But I doubt he would have reported it if he didn't confirm it.  

Russini and a Colts reporter refuted it, saying there as another bidder.  Now if the author wanted to say no team bid anywhere near what the Commanders did so they were bidding against themselves in that context -- there might be some truth to it.  But I don't know.

My guess, granted working with crumbs is something like this.

They offered a 4th and a 6th for Wentz.  Ballard told Rivera that the Steelers are hot for Wentz too.  The Steelers probably offering something similar to the Commanders initial offer.  Rivera decided he wanted Wentz and said screw it, lets avoid a bidding war, gave Ballard a strong offer.  Ballard maybe counters with, you can have him now if they up that offer to this.  And then Rivera pulled the trigger.  Again just guessing.  but the crumbs I recall seeing is that the Steelers had interest but had to yet to make a major offer.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I also think they maybe overpaid for Wentz.  Somewhere in there, it said they were desperate.  Damn right they were desperate.  They didn't have a starting QB, they didn't love any of the guys in the draft, and Wilson turned them down, Rodgers wasn't going anywhere, Jimmy just had shoulder surgery, Carr was staying put, this was before the Watson fiasco with the Browns, so Ryan wasn't available, nor was Baker Baker the Touchdown Maker.  They were staring at somebody like Mitch Trubisky/Teddy Bridgewater (Who I think they could have gotten if they wanted to)/Andy Dalton plus possibly having to trade UP in the draft to get a QB they don't really love. 

Agree. I think they were fearful of just being left with FA and the draft.  For example, Sheehan who in other segments admitted he didn't like Trubisky also seems to love the narrative that Trubisky would have turned them down and that they might have really liked Trubisky more.  Even though multiple reporters including Keim have said they know Trubisky's agent was really intrigued to for him to come here and liked the match.   so I get the vibe they could have landed Trubisky if they wanted him.  Yeah the Steelers are a better organization but they didn't pay him much. 

I do think there is a good chance Rivera negotiated against himself as that NFL executive suggested but not the way he implied.  I am guessing Rivera went what price would get this locked up today or something like that, Ballard told him and Rivera said yes.  Rivera assuming that the Steelers would be motivated to bid big -- and there is no way to know if he ends up right or not.

The proof will be in the pudding.  If Wentz works out the price ends up looking cheap.  If he flames out, it looks bad IMO.  But I like that Rivera has the courage of his conviction on this.  He's putting his chips on the table.  Personally I like it even though I think he could have gotten him cheaper.  Will see how it plays out. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Per NBCSportsEdge: (The Athletics Mike Sando)

The Commanders in March acquired Wentz and a second rounder from the Colts in exchange for a second-round pick and two third rounders. Washington agreed to pay Wentz's $28 million guaranteed compensation, a perplexing concession if no other team wanted Wentz after the disastrous end to his one season in Indianapolis. “If you polled the entire league and said you can have Taylor Heinicke for $2 million and you have $26 million to spend plus two third-round picks, or you can have Carson Wentz, I’m pretty sure the majority would prefer Heinicke,” an executive told Sando. “I’d rather have Baker Mayfield and $8 million.” Washington's pursuit of Wentz speaks to the organization's desperation for a viable starting quarterback after Heinicke was exposed in 2021. Wentz's best case scenario is a few years as the team's QB before they can draft and develop a long-term option. 

Pretty hard to take an article seriously that suggests we should have stayed with the guy who was "exposed in 2021"

The truth is, Dan Snyder is a ****in dickhead, the media hates him ( justifiably so) and therefore they're going to attack every single thing this team does.

Someday maybe this team might start winning and the media will have to start hedging its bets with some positive press but until then just go negative on everything and you'll pretty much never be wrong.

If we had gotten Watson we would have gotten trashed because he's a sexual predator who hasn't played in a year.

If we had gotten Ryan it would Have been, he's way too old.

Trubiski, it would have been he's not a has been he's a never was, etc, etc.

We could have gotten Wentz for a ham sandwich and the media would be shredding the move.

It's the price you pay for not only sucking for 30 years but having one of the worst owners in all of professional sports.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 3