Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I wonder if Wentz's agent would split up the guaranteed money over the next 2 years if we added $7MM to it.

That would be $35MM guaranteed over 2 years but opens up roughly $11MM in cap space this year.

We have to do something creative.

I think we can move money around w/o his permission

near end of this article

https://www.hogshaven.com/2022/3/10/22970055/solving-the-commanders-salary-cap-issue-created-by-the-carson-wentz-trade

• Thumb up 2

I got the NFL Network on in the background.  Feels like I got a new lease on life listening to them talk about Trubisky just now.  As FA approaches I started to really fear that move and dislike the idea the closer we got to it.  Now i am listening to the Trubisky chat, feeling totally relaxed.   IMO the joke will now be on some other team.

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 2.05.01 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Granted this is from long ago.  But Carson is about 2:1 Wins-losses versus the NFC East.

I think that would be 8-0 Dak now, w/o question. Like zero question whatsoever.

I'm not sure what to think of this. I think it's an overpay when you look at the fact that we're eating that salary for them, though apparently we can pull an indy and dump him in a year if need be. My biggest problem with it is that we're doing the same thing we did in '99, '04, '10, and '18. Giving up on a true rebuild and trying a short cut. Maybe it works the fifth time but I seriously, seriously doubt it. 

If you really want to know what this is, at its simplest, it's a coach knowing he made a colossal error in not trading up for a QB in '21, and w/a ---- QB class coming through in '22, and no options whatsoever that could step in and play solid QB period based on evals, and w/his firing on the horizon if they win 5-7 games as expected in '22, instead he went to the dollar store to sort through the retread racks for the best option available that could turn us form a 5-12 to 7-10 team, into a 9-8 to 10-7 team, and give him 2 more years before he gets fired, instead of a pink slip in January '23. 

This is what it is. It's not a team being built the right way, it's a team being built by a panic ridden coach who knows everything rides on results just like Norv in '99, Jay in '18, and vets that simply were too impatient to wait for rookies like Gibbs in '04 and Shanny in '10. This is not the way fans should want their teams built. You want stewards who see the team in a 3-5 year plans, not in 1 year save my career moves, or in vet coach before he's retires quick fix moves like those of Gibbs and Shanny. This rarely ever works out (though it occasionally does). 

The one saving grace to it for me is that Wentz remains an elite arm talent QB, with the raw materials of an elite franchise QB, as a raw talent, he has more upside even now than any QB in this draft not named Willis. The problem is we have six years of evidence now that he can't stay healthy and that he can't consistently lead teams to quality play game to game, week to week, season to season. Otoh, Philly was a mess for the most part when he was there, but your guess is as good as mine as to why the Colts collapsed down the stretch and its alarming that he was at the helm of it and blamed for it. Why did they go from one of the best teams in football, to colossal chokers down the stretch? Who knows. 

Honestly, as others have alluded to in terms of personality, he may just be another Kirk, poor man's Matt Ryan, in the sense of compiling good #'s mixed with bad results and crap play in the clutch. 

I'm extremely disappointed that this team didn't build the right way in the last two drafts and felt forced to make a move like this due to said stupidity, stealing from the loaded '23 class to lock in this deal. Should also artificially inflate our record to screw us out of elite QB options in '23, just as Alex Smith did 15 months ago for the loaded '21 class. 

Not sure why people are so intent in talking themselves into this deal, but I guess that's what you do when you're fans and don't want to be bummed out at a team that can never and will never get it right. 

We'll see how it plays out. I expect 7-10 to 10-7 and total irrelevance though at least our conference sucks so anything can happen. There's a chance he turns it around, but people need to recognize that the odds of that are rather long. Far far more likely that he continues to be a mediocre QB on a mediocre team as he's been throughout his whole career. That's better than what we've had recently, but honestly aren't we sick of mediocre and worse? That's all we've had to eat for decades, don't you want to aim higher than that? Apparently not. I hope I'm wrong and he rediscovers the promise he showed five years ago. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, justice98 said:

Getting a 2nd back in addition to Wentz shouldn't be overlooked.  And if only next year is guaranteed, that's even better.

We aren’t getting a second back.

We swapped 2nds with the Colts; we are moving down 5 spots.

Also , that 23 3rd upgrades to 23 2nd; if Carson plays 70%.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got the NFL Network on in the background.  Feels like I got a new lease on life listening to them talk about Trubisky just now.  As FA approaches I staeted to really fear that move and dislike the idea the closer we got to it.  Now i am listening to the Trubisky chat, feeling totally relaxed.   IMO the joke will now be on some other team.

He'll go to the Giants and the narrative will be all about how he has been rehabilitated and resurrected his career...

16 hours ago, RWJ said:

This:  Wentz gets to face the team that drafted him 2x a year now, again.  I wonder if that lights a fire.  Probably does.  Maybe he'll prove me wrong.  I hope so.  Trying to come around on this one as I am thinking on this.  

Me too, I'm conflicted and trying to understand what RR is thinking. Maybe there's much more to come and it'll all add up to make a ton of sense?

• Like 1

Just now, kingdaddy said:

Likely next week after the new year starts and the trade can be made official?

Thats some straight up bull...!

I have no patience left, trot his ass out in front of the Lombardi's this afternoon with TM, Samual, Logan and Carter in the front row. Then immediately out to the practice field to toss a few 60 yarders to each of them. League and union rules be damned, after all, we're the Commanders!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

I have no patience left, trot his ass out in front of the Lombardi's this afternoon with TM, Samual, Logan and Carter in the front row. Then immediately out to the practice field to toss a few 60 yarders to each of them. League and union rules be damned, after all, we're the Commanders!

I like how you think....

49 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I didn't want to acknowledge it b/c its nonsensical. If you want to believe the entire media apparatus is out to get your viewpoint that's on you.

I choose not to wear the tinfoil hat to make my argument.

I didn’t say the media was in on some sort of conspiracy, the only way they get info like our “opening offer” (which you never see for any trade) is from a purposeful leak. Obviously from the Colts. That isn’t interesting to you? 

6 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I like that plan

Make It So Patrick Stewart GIF

35 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I it's a coach knowing he made a colossal error in not trading up for a QB in '21, and w/a ----

They tried to trade up.  The idea that they weren't willing to give up a really big time bounty price -- that's what was said by one who covers the team albeit we never heard what that was for Fields.   I don't think there is that much hand wringing on that yet considering Fields "meh" rookie year coupled with some NFL buzz that has questioned his chances to succeed for various reasons.  And this is coming from me who was one of the higher people on Fields.  I don't think there is hand wringing about that at least not yet.

But considering Rivera's rhetoric he's certainly alluded to being upset about not landing Stafford and talking about no one cares about what the Rams paid for him.  So I gather maybe they'd give him multiple ones if they had to do that one over like they offered for Wilson with the benefit of hindsight.  But like Wilson I think the answer still would have been no.

35 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I felt forced to make a move like this due to said stupidity, stealing from the loaded '23 class to lock in this deal. 

23 draft is still in play.  They can still get Will Levis, Haener, Rattler or whichever player like that who they can get at their pick or realistically trade up for. 

17 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

We aren’t getting a second back.

We swapped 2nds with the Colts; we are moving down 5 spots.

Also , that 23 3rd upgrades to 23 2nd; if Carson plays 70%.

You're responding to a post from 24 hours ago when there was some confusion from some posters and correcting something no one thinks anymore. Come join us in the last few pages from today lol 

He’s a strange performer—his ceiling remains elite for drives, quarters, and less often entire games, but his low floor will lose you games. I can appreciate him not being a middling play it safe dude collecting pay checks. 

Love the potential of Ron to flex his super power as coach through building a strong rapport and trust with Wentz. Sometimes the defensive coach is a good match for a type A personality at the QB spot, because it’s not a battle of egos of how it should be done. For example, there’s no way Wentz could play for a Kyle and Sean even though they’re two of the better coaches in the NFL. 

Those feeling this is another move to remain mediocre I’d encourage to watch Wentz a bit more, he’s a boom or bust dude. Let’s hope this Commander soup can produce more boom. 

Side note: this may finally get Mcclaurin to being 15-16.5 per yard catch guy. A legitimate game breaker. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, wit33 said:

He’s a strange performer—his ceiling remains elite for drives, quarters, and less often entire games, but his low floor will lose you games. I can appreciate him not being a middling play it safe dude collecting pay checks. 

Love the potential of Ron to flex his super power as coach and building a strong rapport and trust with Wentz. Sometimes the defensive coach is a good match for a type A personality at the QB spot, because it’s not a battle of egos of how it should be done. For example, there’s no way Wentz could play for a Kyle and Sean even though they’re two of the better coaches in the NFL. 

Those feeling this is another move to remain mediocre I’d encourage to watch Wentz a bit more, he’s a boom or bust dude. Let’s hope this Commander soup can produce more boom. 

Side note: this may finally get Mcclaurin to being 15-16.5 per yard catch guy. A legitimate game breaker. 

A good point about the ego side of this.    Ron could co-exist with Cam well.  Cam with a big time ego.  Speaking of Hard Knox, that showcased that dynamic well.

If Ron could manage someone like Dan at least so far (fingers crossed), I think he can handle Wentz.

An eagles reporter liked this in part because they know Ron and like the fit with him.  An Indy reporter alluded to the same.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Conn said:

I didn’t say the media was in on some sort of conspiracy, the only way they get info like our “opening offer” (which you never see for any trade) is from a purposeful leak. Obviously from the Colts. That isn’t interesting to you? 

Insiders are always trying to get info like that.

We know our opening offer for WIlson, and how we never got a chance to progress beyond it.

We know what we tried to give up for Stafford too

Insiders like Schefty report all the time on sticking points, like how one team is "here" and another is "there" and how things finally get resolved.

This situation is only as special as you twist it in your mind to be.

Edited by FootballZombie

11 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Insiders are always trying to get info like that.

We know our opening offer for WIlson, and how we never got a chance to progress beyond it.

We know what we tried to give up for Stafford too

Insiders like Schefty report all the time on sticking points, like how one team is "here" and another is "there" and how things finally get resolved.

This situation is only as special as you twist it in your mind to be.

Those are offers for guys that went elsewhere, leaked by our team to show the fans they really tried. That’s exactly what I’m talking about, there’s always a motive in leaking these things. The Colts motive in this case is to make their fans feel like they did a lot better than they could have for a guy they already spent a 1st+ on. That’s my point. That a lot of the over the top narratives coming from the Colts right now that people are buying into have an obvious agenda 

So far at least 3-4 of the Colts biggest stars have gone out of their way to counteract the “everybody hated Wentz in the locker room” narrative. That’s the sort of thing I’m talking about that Colts FO people are releasing into the wild with a purpose. Just like Snyder and Allen would do here. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1