Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

7 hours ago, spjunkies said:

All I'm saying is none of these prospects are perfect and the footwork is a major question mark going forward. Can it be cleaned up, hopefully but that is a scary thing. 

For sure they all have flaws.

The trick, of course, is which flaws are "major" question marks and which are not. And that's where we as fans will disagree.

Is Jayden's durability a major question mark or a minor, manageable one? Is Drake's footwork a major question mark or a minor, coachable one?

Is Jayden's ability to throw in tight windows a major question mark or a minor, coachable one? Is Drake's tendency for occasional lapses in accuracy a major question mark or a minor, coachable one?

Ditto with taking sacks, playing in structure, working all sides and levels of the field.

Just re-stating the obvious that the decision is a difficult one and our amateur biases, as grounded in reason as we can try to get, are just that. Fortunately, we can mostly agree that we trust our front office & coaching staff to make a well-qualified decision. But I don't think it will be an easy one and I hope the outcome works out in our favor no matter what we do.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Jumbo said:

Referring back to an earlier post I made, there are many contexts where you should indeed take an entire record into consideration for best analysis of someone's capabilities and possibilities. This is one of them.

Cherry picking data points out of a stream of associated mainly to help support a claim is commonplace with people who like to argue to "be right" but not appropriate for people who have serious research/analytical intent.

That said, there are certain matters when isolating specific data in a more narrow manner is necessary for accurate results.

That's not the case here.

But even in our topic here, not every data point is equally significant, and different periods of time can have different levels of relevance. 

Still, a thorough examination of all of it is preferable, especially when compared to self-serving cherry picking

Also, when someone repeatedly posts references only to sources that support their preference, though there are plenty of equally valid sources that can be used that support another preference, understand that you're probably not in an open-minded discussion.

And I'd say this topic should most rightly still be an open minded examination with no sure "right" answer. I think most of us know that and are in that boat.

For me, the best exchanges are ones where the possibility to learn goes both ways.

Hit dog will holler, but - I posted Kurt Warner going over what was probably one of his worst games all season against Alabama. No one commented on it at all other than his elbow looked funny. He was knocked out of that game due to injury, missed open looks often and skipped in his progressions more than a few times. I did that right after the other clips I posted. 

I hope I am not coming off like I’m only trying to sell my side of the story here. And if I am I will adjust, but as soon as I saw the bad footage I shared it. 

I don’t even think I can find anyone going over his ASU footage pre Covid if I tried. 

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I think they will both be successful in the right system. So I am not really sure anyone is going to have to eat crow at all. In the end it depends what the coaches want. Do they want the experienced guy with devastating running ability or the less experienced guy they will have to coach up that also has an absolute elite arm while being no slouch athletically either. Hard choice. But Harris has already shown he is willing to be patient. I would prefer the guy with the higher upside. But I will enjoy watching either one of them. 

I am legitimately down for either. I even think Maye is probably the better guy for Quinn’s leadership style and what he wants in his players. When you listen to Quinn describe his teams attitude he is all but saying Mayes name.  Give him what he wants and I think it will work. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Hit dog will holler, but - I posted Kurt Warner going over what was probably one of his worst games all season against Alabama. No one commented on it at all other than his elbow looked funny. He was knocked out of that game due to injury, missed open looks often and skipped in his progressions more than a few times. I did that right after the other clips I posted. 

I hope I am not coming off like I’m only trying to sell my side of the story here. And if I am I will adjust, but as soon as I saw the bad footage I shared it. 

I don’t even think I can find anyone going over his ASU footage pre Covid if I tried. 

C'mon man. You're one of the most open minded and reasonable posters here in all the forums. But don't get a swelled head. You'll start ****ing up. 😄

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Kurt Warner going over what was probably one of his worst games all season against Alabama

Daniels played very well in that game. He had some awful drops happen to him. And Bama had no answer for his legs. The pick was not his fault either. I know I am an outlier here. But I am probably one of the few that would be happy with either of them. I do think what you see right now is what Daniels is. He isnt going to grow a whole lot from here. And that is a damn good player. The question is what will Maye be 2 years from now when he is Daniels age? With the right coaching a top 5 player and an all pro is my guess. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

We are less than a month away from the 2024 NFL Draft!  

I think the draft needs to sit for a year before we can have it. It can't read defenses, it has ****ty footwork, and it apparently has a really bad attitude. Sounds like a bust to me.

• Haha 6

Just now, mistertim said:

I think the draft needs to sit for a year before we can have it. It can't read defenses, it has ****ty footwork, and it apparently has a really bad attitude. Sounds like a bust to me.

Read you loud and clear but when your selected at #2 I think the draft should start right away.  

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Daniels played very well in that game. He had some awful drops happen to him. And Bama had no answer for his legs. The pick was not his fault either. I know I am an outlier here. But I am probably one of the few that would be happy with either of them. I do think what you see right now is what Daniels is. He isnt going to grow a whole lot from here. And that is a damn good player. The question is what will Maye be 2 years from now when he is Daniels age? With the right coaching a top 5 player and an all pro is my guess. 

Maye’s upside is tantalizing.  Not only because he’s relatively young/inexperienced, with all of the tools, and generally correctable flaws, but what happens when he gets 2+ years in the same system?  What happens when he’s supported by a quality oline and pass catchers?

Conversely, are we going to be able to field a better oline and pass catchers for Daniels than what he’s already had (in relation to the defenses LSU played against)?  Now with that said, I think it’s definitely possible that some of his flaws can be improved significantly with coaching and further experience.  In other words, I don’t think it’s a guarantee that he’s at, or nearly at his ceiling, particularly when you factor in his growth trajectory to this point.

To your point though, if I’m picking/betting on which of these two I think has more growth potential ahead of them, I’m going with Maye, and that potential is quite tantalizing.  

I too would be happy with either of them.  Actually, let me amend that - I will be happy with either of them, but the behavioral training that’s come with being a Washington fan is going to have me waiting for the shoe to drop if we select Daniels due to his frame/running style.  Gonna take some time to retrain my brain… if it’s not already too late.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think a case could be made for both of them to either sit or start early.

Daniels:

Pros - More starting experience, better / more consistent footwork and mechanics

Cons - Lack of many anticipation and tight windows throws in college could make life difficult in the NFL

Maye:

Pros - Plenty of anticipation and tight window throws in college, especially down the middle

Cons - Inconsistent / sloppy footwork and mechanics. Only 2 years of starting experience

I think that’s why JJ McCarthy has moved into the discussion. Maybe a perceived lower ceiling, but he’s a more rounded QB prospect right now. Even if that’s is at a slightly lower threshold. He starts day 1, no question IMO.

• Thumb up 1

Saying that any of the rookie QB's will be ready to start day one is a bold statement.  There may be hopes and expectations of the top three, heck maybe the top 6 can be ready but you never know until they are in camp. they have lots to take one, learn and stay healthy. My hopes are whoever the commanders chose is ready and in there some September! 

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I think that’s why JJ McCarthy has moved into the discussion. Maybe a perceived lower ceiling, but he’s a more rounded QB prospect right now. Even if that’s is at a slightly lower threshold. He starts day 1, no question IMO.

Nonsense 

McCarthy moving into the discussion is media (click) driven

McCarthy being a more rounded prospect is media and fan driven 

McCarthy starts day 1 is no question is pure speculation 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I feel like Ekeler is the semi unsung hero of all the offensive signings to date. I feel like he is going to make the new QB's transition a lot simpler even if he only in the games for limited plays. Yeah I know, Ertz and the OL additions but I see Ekeler becoming a favorite outlet option and picking up the blitzers regularly. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

Ran across this gem lol. Could be crap ,  probably just a kid creating content from his mom’s basement while apparently rebelling against eye brow maintenance but who really knows , Might be something there🤷🏻

Unfortunately, because I surf the net far too much, I am very familiar with this tale, and it's  genesis.

Be warned, this story is complex, and it keeps evolving as it passes through the internet echo chamber.

Your version, is something like the 5th iteration of what has become an amusing, absurd, and possibly slanderous, game of telephone, that began aprx a month ago.

WARNING: This is a bit long, but it needs to be thorough or I will just confuse those unfamiliar with what happened even more.

So those who haven't already gone onto the next post, buckle up.

THE ORIGINAL TALE:

One morning about a month ago, on a slow news day, EB aka Eric Bickle, co-host of 106.7s "The Sports Junkies" radio show, claimed that his son's friend was told by former ASU teamate and current best friend of Jayden Daniels, Brandon Aiyuk, the following--

Last year, after completing the 2023 college season, JD was considering declaring for the draft.

Daniels asked his close friend, Brandon Aiyuk, who plays for the 49ers, if he would do him a favor and ask his then assistant general manager, Adam Peters, when he thought he would be drafted.

Aiyuk supposedly spoke with Peters who, according to the story, told him that in his opinion, Daniels, as of the 2023 off season, was no better than a 5th round pick, because he had not displayed the skillset, up to then, of a first round qb. His professional reccomendation was to stay in school and evolve his game.

The story goes on to claim that Daniels was furious at Peters then, and still is now, and that he wants no part of anything that Peters is involved with.

That's despite the fact that because he followed Peters' advice, stayed in school, and dramatically improved his game, he now stands to make a  fortune, as a near certain top 3 pick in the draft.

SUBSEQUENT VERSIONS:

The following are just a few of the changes that occurred to the original story, as it went through the internet meatgrinder's inverse deauthentification and bull **** production process.

The original EB (Eric Bickle) somehow morphed into Eric Bienemy, of all people, and Bickle stopped, fir the most part, being mentioned  at all.

Then the EB into Bienemy metamorphosis created at least two seperate branches.

In one branch Bienemy merely retells the story saying that it was Peters that spoke to Aiyuk.

In another offshoot of the original,  the story morphs into Bienemy himself somehow being the one that speaks directly to Aiyuk.

Now, according to the video posted above, there's apparently a new morph where  Adam Peters supposedly "met with" and spoke DIRECTLY to Jayden Daniels, a college player with remaining eligibility, last year.

Meeting with Daniels would obviously be a serious violation of NFL policy and lead to possible fines and or suspension for Peters, if it were true-- and there's absolutely no reason to believe it is.

THE TRUTH OF THE STORY:

Making sense of this mess.

I have no independent means of verifying whether any of this, including the original version, is true, but there are a few things I can confidently assert.

First, no legitimate source (Keim, Schefter, Breer etc.) has, to my knowledge, picked up on what would, if true, be a major, shocking, big-time, scandal, and newsworthy story.

In fact, to my knowledge, since Eric Bickle originally mentioned this tale, I haven't heard it discussed again on his show-- although to be candid, I pretty much avoid the Junkies most mornings. lol

Furthermore, Bickle himself, in relating the original tale on the air, admitted that he had not tried to verify whether or not what his son claimed, a friend of his, was told by Aiyuk, was true before casually disseminating it to his audience. (that's certainly a mouthful, talk about your game of telephone,  lol).

What I do know, from my own experience, is that at his pro day JD can clearly be seen dribbling a basketball, and when he first saw Adam Peters, they BOTH immediately smiled, dapped up and briefly exchanged pleasantries.

"The TRUTH is out there."

The X-files

Maybe so, but you probably won't find it on the internet.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Just now, DogofWar1 said:

Top 30 visits are at Ashburn right?

Yeah, I believe so

I'm pretty sure you can go to a prospect as many times as you want, but when it comes to bringing them in house, you only get 30.

Theoretically I believe Kliff can go out and visit JD and Maye as many times as he wants too.

Colleges within 50 miles don't count towards your top 30

***not sure if Covid rules carried over. Lots of virtual stuff and I think they had to put limits on it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

Drake Maye is Daniel Jones part 2. A little better in completion percentage, but got worse over time. 

Yep and he's also Sam Howell and Mitch Trebisky and every other white southern ACC QB.

Except Phillip Rivers. Because that doesn't fit the narrative. Am I right?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1