Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

28 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I don't know if I agree with all of that, mainly because I don't have any opinion on Maye least of all one that compares him to Allen.

I did watch enough Daniels where I think he has some Vick in him, and that makes him both scary to draft and scary not to draft. What I mean is Vick relied on athleticism in college and in the pros but was one of the rare cases where his athletic advantages actually still mattered in the pros. There's only a handlful of guys like that and they are either Hall of Famers (Moss/Deion) or incredibly frustrating talents (Vick/RGIII in year one).

I think maybe Daniels' athleticism is such that he may be able to get away with stuff that Fields can't.

I think Maye will be good. I think Daniels has potential to be unreal. And that's the dilemma as I see it with the pick. What does guy who is 85 percent as good as Josh Allen get me when 100 percent of Josh Allen can't get out of the divisional round?

Maye has a far higher ceiling than Jayden.  Home run hitting running ability =/= high ceiling for quarterbacks.  Justin Fields is also probably faster than Jayden, and he's definitely a more instinctive runner with better vision and better power.  Anthony Richardson is also, for sure, a faster and better runner than Daniels is, but his incredibly high ceiling is defined by his rare throwing ability, not his running ability.

You're writing Josh Allen off for his postseason record?  He's been a top three player in the NFL for each of the last four years.  He's a way better NFL QB than Vick was.  Drake Maye is also a much better prospect than Josh Allen was.  When people make the comparison between Maye and Allen, they're comparing a 20-21 year old Maye to a 26-27 year old Allen in his prime, because Maye is already making the kinds of plays that define Allen's dominance in the NFL.  I think Maye can be better than Allen once he hits his prime, because he has almost as much physical talent paired with far fewer of the flaws.  Allen couldn't touch Maye's accuracy or touch as a thrower when he was the same age, and was nowhere near as good of a decision maker.  Allen was a pure bet on physical upside that a team doesn't have to make with Maye.

Maye has a higher ceiling than Josh Allen and he's also a safer bet to hit that ceiling than Allen was.  That's why he is probably going to go #2 in a stacked draft class, and the QB1 ahead of him is pretty much the prospect of the decade.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

That’s what I am talking about. Jerod Mayo of the Pats and DQ are seemingly saying they haven’t met with Jayden yet including the combine but Jayden at the combine was talking to media as if he had. Something is off. 

Nothing's off, they're all talking about private meetings with the prospects, and who can blame them for not counting the combine meetings as a real visit, those were 20 minutes with NFL staff literally sounding a horn for the kids to go in and leave the meeting rooms. Reminded me of back-to-school nights where we'd all cram into a classroom for 10 minutes while the teacher introduced themselves and then the bell would ring and all us sheeple would shuffle off to the next room. Next day we'd remember absolutely nothing. That combine stuff was a similar circus.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Seemed pretty amicable for a guy that told him he was a 5th round prospect. :)

"Seemed pretty amicable for a guy that told him he was a 5th round prospect."

Perhaps Daniels realizes that the uncompromising tough love he got from Peters last year, that influenced him to stay in school and dramatically improve his game, was the best financial decision he could have possibly made. 

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

If he's so inaccurate beyond 5 yards how does he have the most big time throws of any QB coming out over the last several years?

Shhh. He's on a roll. And I consider it a meaningful sign that kingdaddy gave him a trophy for that...colorful...post. 😛😁👹

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

"from the neck up" - AHA! We now know the Commanders are drafting Daniels, who definitely has the most neck of any QB prospect. Look at that neck!

Giraffe dies at Columbus Zoo

• Haha 3

Just a heads up that it's that time of year again fro the ES Mock Draft. We draft for all 32 teams in the order of the real draft. No real purpose other than to test your skill at drafing. This will be my 9th year and we have fun every time! 

We have a few teams that need GMs. If you have any desire to try your hand at being GM of a team, let @COWBOY-KILLA- (the comissioner) or myself know, either IM us or post in the Mock Draft thread pinned in the Stadium. We have at least 2 teams in need of GM. There is room for more as several of us are manageing several teams. 

Picks and rounds are timed to allow for overseas GMs. It will take about 2 weeks to finish. Trades are Ok but only draft picks no players.

We start Friday! Hope to see you! 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Perhaps Daniels realizes that the uncompromising tough love he got from Peters last year, that influenced him to stay in school and dramatically improve his game, was the best financial decision he could have possibly made. 

I was told their relationship was fractured beyond repair.

Only homies get dabbed up.

/s

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

I am very concerned we're being gaslit on his weight and people are falling for it.

If you play fast at 210 then you run and show off.

This is fishy.  Smells off.  I don't like it.

You only run the 40 if you've trained for it and are getting good results and are healthy.  Period.

If I were him I wouldn't have bothered training for the 40.  It's irrelevant to his future as an NFL QB.  We know he's fast and doesn't need to run a 40 to prove that.  We also know that he's skinny and lacks play strength, and his weighing in at his listed weight doesn't disprove that either.  You guys are getting too worked up over this weight and 40 stuff.  The throwing session and individual meetings with the teams are what mattered for him at his Proday, and he's going to do those things.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I was told their relationship was fractured beyond repair.

Only homies get dabbed up.

/s

I got the sardonic tone and intent of your original post and "like emojied" it accordingly.

I was essentially amplifying your point, with my own take.

25 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

LSU 2023: He weighs 210.

LSU 2024: He weighs 210.

Tim:

So colleges have to tell the truth on their sites about their athletes' height and weight?

Again, if he was 210 at the combine, why refuse to be weighed? If he's been 210 this whole time, why refuse to run the 40? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

You only run the 40 if you've trained for it and are getting good results and are healthy.  Period.

If I were him I wouldn't have bothered training for the 40.  It's irrelevant to his future as an NFL QB.  We know he's fast and doesn't need to run a 40 to prove that.  We also know that he's skinny and lacks play strength, and his weighing in at his listed weight doesn't disprove that either.  You guys are getting too worked up over this weight and 40 stuff.  The throwing session and individual meetings with the teams are what mattered for him at his Proday, and he's going to do those things.

He is a dual threat QB. His 40 is paramount to evaluating him and his 40 on a day that he weighs in is what counts. Without it there is insufficient data to use the second overall pick on a guy our GM seemingly had a 5th round grade on. He should be off the board and Peters likely doesn’t have him ranked that high regardless .

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Daniels looks pretty solid to me as far as body size goes. Here he is warming up. He has a slight frame for sure. And his shoulders are not wide at all. But he has put on some muscle for sure.

Ohhh ****!

He looks jacked up especially compared to that pic somebody posted of him a few weeks ago (that turned out to be from high school smh).

He is definitely hitting the weights though which is all you can ask.

Kids a worker. Gotta respect that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

For those that didnt get to see JJ McCarthy's pro day:

Those camera angles are criminal.  You can't see anything other than his footwork and throwing motion.  No idea where the ball location is, how much velocity is on the throw, etc.  Not helpful.  

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Daniels looks pretty solid to me as far as body size goes. Here he is warming up. He has a slight frame for sure. And his shoulders are not wide at all. But he has put on some muscle for sure.

If only we could see him standing next to Forbes Jr.

• Haha 8

I gotta say, as a ‘neutral observer’, it’s pretty wild reading the Daniels stuff.  Like, I’m not sure how he’s even draftable given the things I’ve read on here - he can’t protect himself running, he can’t throw on the run, he can’t throw over the middle, he can’t throw with anticipation, he needs receivers that can get wide open, he’s gonna get destroyed if he gets hit, he has low football IQ when running, and he can’t slide… how is the league so clueless about this guy?

For me, his frame is skinny and it’s going to remain that way.  He just doesn’t have the build to add enough weight to remove fears of him getting hurt, even if he can somehow add 5 or 10 pounds of muscle (which is debatable).  It is what it is.

With that said, I have trouble with the conclusion that he must have added 15-20 pounds of water weight (no peeing!).  Why didn’t he weigh at the combine then?  Who knows, maybe he weighed himself at 208 before arriving and decided he’d hold off until his pro day.  When his pro day weight is the exact same as his listed playing weight, I’m not sure how we arrive at “Occam’s razor says he drank 20 pounds of water just before a throwing session”…  Now if he starts projectile vomiting in the middle of his throwing session, I might change my tune.

Why didn’t he run the 40 then?  Who knows, maybe he didn’t want to risk pulling a hammy.  Maybe he knew teams have the in-season GPS info and put more weight (no pun intended) on that.  Maybe he didn’t want to spend time training for the 40 knowing spending the time on actual qb stuff was more important.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

This tells me you didnt watch it. That film is some of the best I graded this cycle. Maye doesn't catch the ball. 

It's not just beauty that's in the eye of the beholder. Subjectivity is a thing.

Competent analytical skills is also a thing.

Objectivity, valid knowledge of the topic, familiarity with actual analytical skills and processes, and minimal intrusion of much of the limbic system 😛 is a real thing. Ego can be as much a mind killer as fear ( sorry, Maud' Dib)

Taking in relevant information in any form, inc. film,  doesn't automatically result in solid analysis from every opinion giver.

With my background and experience, I'll be damned if I can understand why I'm wrong sometimes. 😁🤡 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 3