Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

25 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I was wondering what happened with this photo as well. It's clearly been shopped in some way?

Was the goal to make Daniels tricep look bigger?

It just looks strange and deformed like that creature in Alien picked that exact moment to pop out of his underarm instead of his chest.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Yep, got that water weight on there. Probably 10+ pounds of it. I'm guessing he was definitely below 200 during the season.

Hate to admit it but you're right.

A gallon of water weighs 8 lbs and 6 ounces. He could easily guzzle that a half hour before the weigh in.

His true playing weight is likely between 197 to 205. 

I really wish he was running today, but it's probably a wise business decision not too.

On with the show.

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

A gallon of water weighs 8 lbs and 6 ounces. He could easily guzzle that a half hour before the weigh in.

I really wish he was running today, but it's probably a wise business decision not too.

On with the show.

I think we mostly knew he was only going to do one or the other today: weigh in or run. Adding that water weight would probably have had the effect of making his 40 time a bit underwhelming. My guess was that if he refused to run he'd basically say "you can see my speed on tape" and that's pretty much what he did. Yes, we see your speed on tape at 195lbs.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Its no different than teaching a guy to throw it away. He does all this stuff now, just not as much as we want him to. For all we know he was told to run if its open. 

You just make it a simple choice. 4th quarter? Run if open. Not 4th quarter throw it away. Its not hard. Yall are making it hard. He even has RG3s example of what happens when you dont. You end up in Cleveland and then divorced. 

When you look at almost all of the really bad hits Jayden took last year--against Missouri, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, and FSU--the problem was he was making a low FB IQ play.  Basically in every case, he tried to cut the ball up field without a hole or without momentum and got destroyed.  He has poor vision/instincts as a runner, and gets so fixated on beating the defender right in front of him, that he gets killed by the next guy he doesn't see at all.

I think it's part of a larger problem in Jayden's game in that, after the ball is snapped and ends up in his hands, his view of the field compresses too much.  This is what is meant by the "sees the field through a straw" phrase.  It was the biggest flaw in Sam Howell's game, and the same for Justin Fields too.  It's a significant issue for QB prospects, and I think it's the fundamental reason why Jayden is scared to throw the ball into tight windows or into the middle of the field when he's moved off his outside reads.  He doesn't take risks as a thrower and can't stand to turn it over, so he pulls it and runs instead.  And he's really good at it and it worked well for him in that explosive LSU offense.  The problem is he just doesn't see the field well when he runs.  Maybe he developed this style because he was always faster than everyone before he got to the SEC and was able to get away with stringing together 15 moves in traffic without getting touched, but it doesn't work any more.  And I'm skeptical that he can easily change a fundamental part of his playing style.  I'm skeptical that he can significantly expand his vision of the field once he's at a vastly more intense and difficult level of the sport.

Drake Maye OTOH is a baller who sees the field really well.  He has superb instincts and FB IQ.  It's how he's able to create and pull off such crazy stuff during games so much.  He plays football like a super creative lead guard in basketball, but the kid also averaged like 10 RPG in basketball.  He's rugged.  He's basically another Josh Allen in style, with a little less arm talent but a lot better touch and decision making skills.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

On with the show.

They probably loaded him with iv fluids. He probably will pee half of it out between weigh in and throwing session. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Llevron said:

For all we know he was told to run if it’s open. 

Herm told him to run at ASU, Herm said this publicly. I like that he showed the ability to protect himself better the second half of last season.

• Like 1

I wonder if he will “look” any different (as in muscle build). It would be nice if he put on muscle weight, but you guys are probably right with the water weight assumption. 

2 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Some of you people are killing me. You act like the guy couldn't be working with elite nutrition and fitness people to work with him during this process. Smfh

In one month?

And you don't think a top notch program like LSU doesn't have the best of the best training/nutrition staff?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Some of you people are killing me. You act like the guy couldn't be working with elite nutrition and fitness people to work with him during this process. Smfh

He well could be, and if he is I would be pleased.

It's just that Occam's razor would lead me to a simpler explanation, even though in my heart I truly hope you're right.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

You think LSU doesn’t have the same quality nutrition and weight lifting program as the pros? GTFO. Commanders just hired our new head sports nutritionist from a lower tier college lol.

It’s possible, but my eyes tell he me he’s extremely thin. Compare him to other players. He looked tiny last season. And he’s not running, so what else should we think?

Just now, Warhead36 said:

In one month?

And you don't think a top notch program like LSU doesn't have the best of the best training/nutrition staff?

It's been longer than a month. Didn't the college season end in January? He clearly knows that he has to bulk up I'm sure the process began once the season concluded. 

I'm sure he doesn't want to get up in the league, he knows it's something that needs to be addressed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

It's been longer than a month. Didn't the college season end in January? He clearly knows that he has to bulk up I'm sure the process began once the season concluded. 

I'm sure he doesn't want to get up in the league, he knows it's something that needs to be addressed. 

Well he showed up to the combine super skinny still and refused to do any measurements.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, CommanderInTheRye said:

It's just that Occam's razor would lead me to a simpler explanation.

Seems to me the simplest answer is, Daniels played the season at 210 "or a little over that" like LSU HC Brian Kelly said during the season, and he's still 210. *shrug*

• Haha 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Well he showed up to the combine super skinny still and refused to do any measurements.

Some tall people look rail thin, I used to be one of them. People carry weight differently. 

2 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Seems to me the simplest answer is, Daniels played the season at 210 "or a little over that" like LSU HC Brian Kelly said during the season, and he's still 210. *shrug*

Coaches and college programs fudge numbers all the time.

9 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

If that was the case he would have just weighed in at the combine. The guy has a tiny frame with very thin shoulders and hips. It's probably close to maxed out at this point.

And LSU has elite nutrition and fitness people on their staff. They get paid a lot of money. He's just a beanpole and no amount of chicken and rice is going to change that.

3 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Then he would have had no reason not to weigh in at the combine, and he'd also not keep refusing to run. This logic is flawed.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

With all that water weight, I wonder if he’ll need to take a couple of bathroom breaks during his throwing session. Feel for him having to run around and throw the football with 10 pounds of water weight. 

Seriously though, it's encouraging to see him check out at nearly 6’4” and 210 pounds. Even if 210 is on the higher end, it’s a goal worth aiming for, and it seems like something he can achieve in the future. 210 pounds is more than sufficient to play QB.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Then he would have had no reason not to weigh in at the combine, and he'd also not keep refusing to run. This logic is flawed.

Exactly. If he's just same ol same ol 210, then why refuse to weight in at the combine? Because 210 isn't his normal weight. And he needed extra time to inflate that weight.

And now he's not running either. Because he knows his speed will drop off with the extra unnatural weight.

• Like 3