Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Ok as a counter to my last reply.  What do the coaches do......(assuming Ron is still the coach) if they see Howell's ceiling as a quality back up?  What do we do at QB for time being?  Wentz is doneso......Heinicke is a FA I believe yeah?  If Heinicke negotiates knowing Wentz failed, and they don't view Howell as the answer either, his leverage might go up out of always needing him as a last resort option.

EDIT: And no I am not saying I want Heinicke as the starter, not at all, but Heinicke might know he will be needed by the team at least to be the backup just in case because they don't want Howell going in. 

Edited by NoCalMike

6 minutes ago, newday said:

It is darn near impossible for Howell to light it up in his first NFL game and that too behind a beat up O-line. The best he can do is hand the ball off and not get himself killed.

I don’t think anyone expects him to light it up. But I see young QBs with no NFL tape out there do it every season. Even ones with no draft pedigree. Usually against us, to be fair. 

To act like the only reasonable expectation for him is to merely hand the ball off and survive is not correct imo. Guys, even ones who are rough around the edges and not ready, flash every week in this league. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

1 minute ago, Conn said:

I don’t think anyone expects him to light it up. But I see young QBs with no NFL tape out there do it every season. Even ones with no draft pedigree. Usually against us, to be fair. 

To act like the only reasonable expectation for him is to merely hand the ball off and survive is not correct imo. Guys, even ones who are rough around the edges and not ready, flash every week in this league. 

Yep, not to mention, if he isn't that guy, then the sooner we know the better as well, even if it means he'd make a long term quality back up. 

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

Ok as a counter to my last reply.  What do the coaches do......(assuming Ron is still the coach) if they see Howell's ceiling as a quality back up?  What do we do at QB for time being?  Wentz is doneso......Heinicke is a FA I believe yeah?  If Heinicke negotiates knowing Wentz failed, and they don't view Howell as the answer either, his leverage might go up out of always needing him as a last resort option.

Taylor isn't a resort, he's a drug we need to get off of because our brain is straight lying to us.

I'm convinced we won't draft QB, so I lean towards someone mobile who isn't elite.

I may be alone here, but I like the idea of Lamar Jackson filing what we need with the roster around him, he's basically Hurts on crack.

If we want to be a running team, let's stop pretending to be otherwise chasing these air it out QBs.  Let's just run and play action people to death and hope our defense allows less points then we score.

Higher odds of pulling that off then getting some top 10 QB anytime soon.

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Ok as a counter to my last reply.  What do the coaches do......(assuming Ron is still the coach) if they see Howell's ceiling as a quality back up?  What do we do at QB for time being? 

Bring in a free agent and draft pick.

The frustrating part is I really think with even a slightly above average QB they have the weapons to compete. If they could just find someone who's accurate in the short and medium passing game the offense might actually put up more than ten points. 

Obviously the o line needs a lot of work for anyone to succeed here tho. 😬

36 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Taylor isn't a resort, he's a drug we need to get off of because our brain is straight lying to us.

I

Oh no argument there really, I was just more making assumptions based on the current coaching staff still being in place through this offseason. I think they would want Heinicke back on the roster for another round or two of "just in case...." 

31 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Bring in a free agent and draft pick.

The frustrating part is I really think with even a slightly above average QB they have the weapons to compete. If they could just find someone who's accurate in the short and medium passing game the offense might actually put up more than ten points. 

Obviously the o line needs a lot of work for anyone to succeed here tho. 😬

It's like.....bits & pieces of potential are flashed every single game is certain parts of the field when you see the film afterwards it's just too many holes and injuries to make everything work in unison to produce points or much of anything lately..

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Conn said:

If Howell looks even half decent it will make Rivera look like an even bigger dolt. All of us who were accused of advocating for “coaching malpractice” by calling for Howell since the bye week will be watching closely. Because it would have been an unorthodox and gutsy call, sure. But we haven’t won a game since we went on bye, so. 

Its not really gutsy though, so many other teams did it this year. The truth is, Ron is not a gambler. He's the opposite, he's to afraid to make a decision until he's FORCED to make a decision. He will absolutely wait until the last minute to make the right decision...every...single...time. Going for it on 4th and 1 in your own territory in the first half of the game though? He'll jump on that decision...get this fool out of here!

6 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Going for it on 4th and 1 in your own territory in the first half of the game though? He'll jump on that decision...

You forgot to add: ...and call a long developing, misdirection play to try and gain that 1 yard behind a ****ty OL that he handpicked...

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Haha 1

I’ll simplify my response to those who say Howell will get killed narrative. 

A, you saw what Watson did to handle pocket pressure yesterday? neither Heinicke or Wentz can do thet.   Howell at least in college could. Jonathan Allen once articulated how he hates playing elusive QBs who can run because it helps neutralize what he does. 

Some people here seem to think Howell will slam dunk be worse than Wentz or Heinicke combating pocket pressure. I am guessing if anything he will look better on that front. 

B, Even if it goes poorly so what? It’s a real game learning experience for him. He’s not fragile. He’s a tough dude he can handle it. 

C, His offensive line sucked at NC. He’s VERY used to constant pocket pressure 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

Sheehan making a guest appearance on his own show.

Add him to the pile of thinking Howell should start and he likes the game for Howell even more now that Dallas has something to play for, 

Thinks Wentz sucked and played tight and choked, if Heinicke played he thinks they still would have lost considering how poorly he’s played of late

Thinks that was the worst game of the year for the defense 

Hes optimistic about this roster. Not sure about the coaching, Ron had done some good in the mix but suggested they can do better but probably not until Dan sells. Dan isn’t attracting as he implies someone like Sean Payton 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

he likes the game for Howell even more now that Dallas has something to play for, 

This...actually is a good point.  Although I still think there is an argument to be made that you don't want to shellshock a young quarterback in a meaningless game, but there is no better test as to see whether or not he has what it takes against one of the best defenses in the league.  

5 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

This...actually is a good point.  Although I still think there is an argument to be made that you don't want to shellshock a young quarterback in a meaningless game, but there is no better test as to see whether or not he has what it takes against one of the best defenses in the league.  

I watched a lot of Howell in college. He’s not a shell shocked kind of guy. He’s not like a wentz on that front who does get rattled. I’ll post it later when I am in front off my desktop but one of the Browns defenders said they knew they’d have wentz as soon as they started hitting him. He suggested that Wentz is soft.

Howell might end up playing poorly in his debut, no way to know obviously. But he’s not soft. He’s a tough dude. And reading about him some he will likely rewatch the game in the off season 50 times to learn from that experience.

RE: Raglands comments

It makes sense the locker room would have mixed opinions on who should start at QB.  That’s typically the case when you don’t have a legit starter.  There were also rumblings that some on the team speaking anonymously felt “Wentz got a raw deal” losing his job to injury.  

I get the thought that Ron was itching to move away from Taylor and wanted to use the guy he traded and paid for.  But he went out of his way to keep him in there and got the captains thoughts before pulling the plug.  I find it hard to believe if they were that loyal to Taylor, Ron goes against them entirely and starts Wentz anyways.

Generally speaking, Heinicke has gotten the ball out faster.  But over the last several weeks that hasn’t been the case.  Both Giants games there were quick hitters to be had on numerous occasions where he just wasn’t pulling the trigger and instead eating a sack or waiting too long and making an inaccurate throw.  He was also struggling to identify the blitz and recognize/feel pressure more than ever before.  

Fast forward to Wentz getting inserted into the SF game, and he was getting the ball out fast. And that wasn’t a prevent defense, they were pinning their ears back and getting after him.  The difference though, they were running what we should refer to as the “Bigfoot offense” with Scott Turner, uptempo.  Bigfoot because it’s rarely seen.

What I find interesting is that both Heinicke and Wentz appear to have their best stuff going uptempo.  The slow, plodding keep away offense is great the 1/10 times you can keep a drive alive for half a quarter or more and score a TD.  But both QBs regularly struggle to get in any sort of rhythm throwing the ball.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Thumb up 1

Wentz laid a colossal egg. He's done. Move on, period.

The ownership stuff will make things tricky. Odds are Rivera is lame duck in middle of transition, which mean no real money to spend. 

Then again, does anyone have faith in us doing well with another retread in this scheme, which apparently among it's other excellent qualities, is hard to learn?

I think we are looking at Taylor back on a two year modest deal competing with Howell and maybe another rookie. 

Derek Carr would make me throw up. 

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 2

Clearly we need a QB.  TH is a backup and Howell is likely the same.  

I would go draft a QB in the first round and we can have him cheap for five seasons.  Cut Wentz and use the extra 28 Million to sign two top-qualify OL.  TH can be the starter in game 1 of 2023 and let the rookie slowly take over.

If there is any upside for me about that game its the booing of Wentz was so intense and his play was so poor that it made the decision on whether to bring him back a no brainer loud no.  No ambiguity. Zero. 

Tailgate Ted who goes to every game tweeted to a radio personality it was the worst stadium experience he’s experienced referrring to the boos. 

Being there myself to say the fans were intense against Wentz would be an understatement. It was maybe the most memorable experience I’ve had in a live football game. If Irsay was there he’d be orgasmic. It was some serious Wentz hate yesterday. I’d bet if he had any choice Wentz would want out of here 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Says that Purdy's arm isn't anything special but he believes BCB is for real.  BCB also notched his first 4th quarter comeback victory in a shootout over the Raiders today.

I read an interesting article about the 49ers. When Bill Walsh was the head coach, he was good friends with Al Davis and talked to Davis about trading Joe Montana to the Raiders. Davis said Montana wasn't a Raiders kind of QB because he did not have a strong arm but he was interested in Steve Young. While Montana didn't have a strong arm what he did have was great accuracy.

This brings me to Heinicke. He will never have a strong arm so the thing he really needs to work on his is accuracy. I still don't think he will ever be a starter again but improving his accuracy sure would help.

18 minutes ago, Wafers said:

Clearly we need a QB.  TH is a backup and Howell is likely the same.  

Howell could also be the next Drew Brees, in Shanahans offense, but Rivera will never find out because he completely fubared the OL and his OC carries around the equivalent to the Al Saunders Playbook. Oh, and some of the plays he calls in certain situations are epically moronic.

Listening to Logan Paulsen just now.

He thinks it was one of the O lines better games, had some bad moments but over decent.

He thinks Wentz was off and it wasn’t the best game from his playmakers. 

The defenses struggles were mainly communication breakdowns which tend to happen when Curl isn’t playing. Thought D line played well even without Allen 

• Thanks 1