Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Drew Brees was average at BEST when he was at San Diego, on top of that had a labrum surgery before going to the saints. Yes Brees is amazing but i think Payton had a lot to do with his success early on, I honestly do not trust the current regime to solve our mediocrity issues/ qb issues. 

I think Payton has a great eye for QBs.  He took the Saints job and tried to get Jerry Jones to let him take Romo with him in a trade.  Jerry said no, even though Romo was a backup (not even 2nd string in his first couple seasons) that had never thrown an NFL pass.  When that fell through, he went and got Brees in free agency.  For a coach taking over a team without a QB, it is pretty impressive for him to have those guys as his primary offseason targets (as neither of them were considered likely to have great careers at the time).

I would trust him to find the right QB.  However, I can't really understand his Taysom Hill infatuation.

Edited by Nerm
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Nerm said:

I think Payton has a great eye for QBs.  He took the Saints job and tried to get Jerry Jones to let him take Romo with him in a trade.  Jerry said no, even though Romo was a backup (not even 2nd string in his first couple seasons) that had never thrown an NFL pass.  When that fell through, he went and got Brees in free agency.  For a coach taking over a team without a QB, it is pretty impressive for him to have those guys as his primary offseason targets (as neither of them were considered likely to have great careers at the time).

I would trust him to find the right QB.  However, I can't really understand his Taysom Hill infatuation.

Taysom Hill is a weapon. 

The Raiders have done what they've done with Mariota trying to emulate the Saints. There is so much potential in the Taysom Hill dynamic because it dramatically lowers the bar for your 'actual' QB.

Jimmy G level QBs are perfectly acceptable with a Taysom Hill. It changes a lot. 

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Jimmy G hasn't been any better in his other playoff performances. He has 2 TDs and 5 INTs in the postseason. That's pretty awful. Even if you decide to remove the game vs the Packers for some reason (teams sometimes play in cold weather...it happens...but whatever) then he still has only 2 TDs and 4 INTs in 4 postseason games.

The idea that he's anything even close to a reason for their postseason success is laughable.

If you remember 2019 obviously that's ridiculous. The 49ers blew out the Packers while Garoppolo threw the ball 8 times the entire game. 

However, its equally ridiculous if you're judging those QBs on one game's box score with severe weather. 

7 minutes ago, Mooka said:

If you remember 2019 obviously that's ridiculous. The 49ers blew out the Packers while Garoppolo threw the ball 8 times the entire game. 

However, its equally ridiculous if you're judging those QBs on one game's box score with severe weather. 

That's my point: he's had next to nothing to do with SF winning games in the postseason unless you consider handing the ball off an onerous responsibility.

And I'm not judging him by one game. I'm judging him on all of his playoff games. There's a pattern...and that's him either doing next to nothing or playing crappy and having to be bailed out by the rest of the team.

Can you really say that 2 TDs, 5 INTs and averaging under 150 yards passing over 5 games are impressive postseason numbers that immediately say to you "we should definitely give up a high draft pick for this guy"?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I see everyone ripping those defenses, but an elite QB can put a defense on their heels, the same way a great D can disrupt the rhythm of a great QB. Mahomes and Allen are elite and were playing at 100%. 

I agree with you about what an elite QB can do to a defense, yet I saw Allen throw his last two TDs to a wide open Gabriel Davis.  Mahomes' TD to Tyreek Hill was a catch and run for a TD.  What's really scary is what they can do to bad defenses.  Those defenses were bad in the fourth quarter.

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

That's my point: he's had next to nothing to do with SF winning games in the postseason unless you consider handing the ball off an onerous responsibility.

And I'm not judging him by one game. I'm judging him on all of his playoff games. There's a pattern...and that's him either doing next to nothing or playing crappy and having to be bailed out by the rest of the team.

Can you really say that 2 TDs, 5 INTs and averaging under 150 yards passing over 5 games are impressive postseason numbers that immediately say to you "we should definitely give up a high draft pick for this guy"?

Uh, no. Trading a 2nd+ for Garoppolo and giving him a 5+ year 150mil he'll be seeking is absurd. 

I wasn't referring to you. You just chimed in. 😉

3 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Drew Brees was average at BEST when he was at San Diego, on top of that had a labrum surgery before going to the saints. Yes Brees is amazing but i think Payton had a lot to do with his success early on, I honestly do not trust the current regime to solve our mediocrity issues/ qb issues. 

Brees was poor his first three years, so much so that the Chargers took Rivers with a top 5 pick. But he turned it on after that, putting up two good years in 04 and 05 before hurting his shoulder the end of the 05 season. 

His game definitely got taken to the next level with the Saints and Payton though. They were a perfect match.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

Trading ANYTHING for Jimmy G is an atrocious idea.  I'd rather roll with Heinicke

5 and below is more than acceptable for the upgrade he is over Heinicke. Above that and any absurd contract demands he's not and our bridge comes from elsewhere. (please read that as our bridge isn't Heinicke...)

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

Trading ANYTHING for Jimmy G is an atrocious idea.  I'd rather roll with Heinicke

nuts GIF

Not trying to agitate anyone but I'm starting to think we might be underestimating Jimmy G just a tad. The man does win and we should not just summarily dismiss it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

5 and below is more than acceptable for the upgrade he is over Heinicke. Above that and any absurd contract demands he's not and our bridge comes from elsewhere. (please read that as our bridge isn't Heinicke...)

Why though? We can't really win with him, so it just postpones the process of getting a real QB

Bridge QB = endless mediocrity

Edited by DiscoBob

Just now, DiscoBob said:

Why though? We can't really win with him, so it just postpones the process of getting a real QB

Because, for some ungodly reason, free agents and people in the league view him as a real QB.

Heinicke is NOT viewed as a real QB and it makes a difference for free agents.

Just now, KDawg said:

Because, for some ungodly reason, free agents and people in the league view him as a real QB.

Heinicke is NOT viewed as a real QB and it makes a difference for free agents.

But that path is just the road to 8-9-10 wins and getting your ass kicked if you make the playoffs

1 minute ago, DiscoBob said:

But that path is just the road to 8-9-10 wins and getting your ass kicked if you make the playoffs

We're going to do that anyways. We always do. At the very least... Jimmy G gives you a better chance than Heinicke. For a low round pick and manageable contract it's not a bad idea... I'd still draft a QB.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I'd be absolutely fine with Jimmy G if we got him for a lower round pick and a middling contract and we also draft a rookie. I just don't think it's a good idea to spend a high round pick on him and then give him a big new contract. That would likely mean we keep kicking the can down the road and spend the next 3-4 years in QB purgatory. 

Washington does not need two QBs this offseason unless we manage to both acquire a veteran who only wants to play one year, and draft a QB we feel only needs to sit one year.  If we got a vet who wants a couple years then draft a QB from a better class.

18 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Washington does not need two QBs this offseason unless we manage to both acquire a veteran who only wants to play one year, and draft a QB we feel only needs to sit one year.  If we got a vet who wants a couple years then draft a QB from a better class.

If we get slightly better production from another QB it won't matter how "good" the next QB class is. Those consensus blue chip prospects pretty much always go in the top 2 and we'll probably be sitting in the teens. 

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If we get slightly better production from another QB it won't matter how "good" the next QB class is. Those consensus blue chip prospects pretty much always go in the top 2 and we'll probably be sitting in the teens. 

Mahomes was 10, Josh Allen at 7,  Watson 12, Jackson at 32, Herbert at 6, Tua at 5, Fields at 11, Jones at 15

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MrJL said:

Mahomes was 10, Josh Allen at 7,  Watson 12, Jackson at 32, Herbert at 6, Tua at 5, Fields at 11, Jones at 15

But you specifically said that we could wait and draft a QB "in a better class". The only thing "bad" about this class compared to others is that you don't have those consensus blue chip prospects who pretty much always go in the top 2. The Mahomes and Watson class was also that way: there wasn't any true consensus top talent that was a lock for the top spot. 

The whole thing about this being a "bad" class doesn't really have much basis. It's just the fact that there aren't any Trevor Lawrences, etc.

• Like 4

It's sad because as invested as I was in Heinicke I really don't care what direction we go in this offseason. Maybe I'm just over the offseason hype/hope. The thing I wanted last year was for Heinicke to get a chance this year and he got that. 

The thing I'm wrestling with is are we going to do a splash move because we're bleeding fans or are we going to do something else? I really don't care because either can work but the splasher the move, the more I feel like Dan is involved. So right now the most likely moves are Tribusky and a rookie. I don't love that but I could live with it. I'd compare it to some of the other QB duos that have been out together to develop a young QB. I could also see them going with a number of other QBs on that level. I really don't see the trade route going anywhere but I didn't see the Smith trade or the McNabb trade. I really wonder if there's aqb that we're not even talking about now that's on the radar. Cam Newton? Darnold? Brussett? Locke? 

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

But you specifically said that we could wait and draft a QB "in a better class". The only thing "bad" about this class compared to others is that you don't have those consensus blue chip prospects who pretty much always go in the top 2. The Mahomes and Watson class was also that way: there wasn't any true consensus top talent that was a lock for the top spot. 

The whole thing about this being a "bad" class doesn't really have much basis. It's just the fact that there aren't any Trevor Lawrences, etc.

the things I've heard say these guys either are one season wonders, lack high level competion, or lack some NFL intangible.  The way they're talking it sounds like the 2013 class