Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

My predictions on the QB swap meet:

Rodgers gets traded to Denver (for their 1st this year & 2023 1st)

Watson gets traded to Carolina (who sees a huge opportunity with Brady potentially gone, Payton out, and ATL rebuilding/not dominant).  Carolina gives 2022-2024 1st round picks.

Wilson stays in Seattle.

Carr stays in Vegas.

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But that doesn't mean we have success.

Correct, like most things in life, we need to see some clear positive intent. A credible acquisition strategy is the initial point of interest.

Once that is done, yeah, how do they then make it works and deliver success. That’s a story on it’s own right.

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/35658/clearing-up-russell-wilson-situation-among-seattle-seahawks-biggest-offseason-tasks

Clearing up Russell Wilson situation among Seattle Seahawks' biggest offseason tasks

SEATTLE -- Whenever the Seattle Seahawks hire a new defensive coordinator, the next item on their offseason to-do list should be the big one: determine whether Russell Wilson will remain their quarterback in 2022.

Wilson's future hardly seems certain even with a few factors working against a trade. Among them: It's a bad draft for quarterbacks, which would make the already monumental task of replacing Wilson even harder.

And while Wilson has indicated his preference to stay, his comments have come with an unspoken qualifier that it must happen under the right circumstances. That's why Wilson has stopped short of declaring he'll remain in Seattle even though it could be guaranteed via his no-trade clause.

And there was this comment from coach Pete Carroll, who was asked after the Seahawks finished their forgettable 7-10 campaign whether they can get through the offseason without a repeat of the rumors and speculation about Wilson's future.

"I don't know that," Carroll told Seattle's FOX 13 TV. "I don't know that. I don't want to give you false hopes because there's just so much stuff that can happen in the offseason. There's unpredictable stuff. But we'll do everything that we can to keep it in order and all that."

Carroll, as part of that same answer, seemed to hint that he and general manager John Schneider will listen to trade offers for Wilson.

March 20: Wilson is due a $5 million roster bonus

The final two seasons of Wilson's 2019 extension include non-guaranteed $5 million roster bonuses due on the fifth day of the new league year, which begins with the start of free agency (March 16). Agents push for March roster bonuses because they serve as soft deadlines for teams to make a decision about a player who might be in limbo.

Players generally want to know as early as possible whether they're sticking around, and teams usually don't move on from players after paying them huge chunks of cash for the upcoming season. March 20 wouldn't be a hard deadline for a trade, but it's a $5 million incentive to figure out Wilson's immediate future by then.

Draft capital:

If the Seahawks' worst season in more than a decade wasn't painful enough, they won't enjoy the biggest silver lining to a down year -- picking early in the first round. The second of two first-round picks they gave the New York Jets in the Jamal Adams trade will be No. 10 overall in April's draft.

The Seahawks' draft capital would obviously change dramatically if they trade Wilson. But for now, they have six picks: a second-rounder, a third, two fourths, a fifth and a seventh.

• Thanks 2

If we traded a 2nd for G and drafted Lloyd with our 1rst, this team becomes pretty complete. Sure there are holes, but it could also be us in the championship game in the next year or two. 

And it doesn't stop us from selling out in the draft next year to shoot for that over the top QB.

I dont understand the either we suck or were SB great mindset. There's a ton of space between the Lions (or WFT) and the Chiefs or 49ers and I'd much rather operate at the top of that spectrum.  

18 hours ago, zskins said:

You can say wrong in 10k+ languages but it doesn't make the point I was making any less valid. Maybe you had a hard time reading what I said so I will try this way instead: YOU DO NOT PAY A HIGH PRICE FOR JIMMY G. TO COME IN TO BE A BRIDGE QB. 

But since you brought it up: Taylor has won 7 games and not lose just about every game he started. But again what I said had nothing to do with whether Taylor has a NFL arm or not. You went off topic and want to bury Taylor 6+ feet deep because you don't like him. You go right ahead and do that if it makes you happy. Okay. 

And I agreed that you don't pay Jimmy G. to be a stop gap.  You bring him in to be the starter.  

What I was saying, and is 100% correct, is Taylor cannot be looked at as a starter in any scenario.  Once there was a book on him, teams shut down the offense.

If you're bringing in a rookie QB and you need a bridge, then that guy is a middling FA not on the team.  It's not Taylor.  They HAVE to sign somebody to be the bridge if they don't think the rookie is going to be ready to start.  

And also, it's not that I don't like Taylor.  It's that I know enough about what I see to know that now teams know what to do to stop him, his easily stopped.  I think he would be a great backup QB for a veteran starter.  That's the best role for him in the NFL.  Which is exactly the role he had this year.  The hope was he would never see the field.  The issue is Fitz got hurt in the first half of the first game, so he ended up playing in 16 games and starting 15.  

It took defensive coordinators a few weeks to figure out what he could do, and what he couldn't.  But once they figured out if you stop the run, force known passing situations, jam the receivers and force tight-window throws, he can't do it.  You've got to throw teams out of that defense, make them pay for being that aggressive, and he just doesn't have the tools to do it. 

And while I agree he started 7 wins, there is some context.  He played REALLY well in 3 of those games: the first Giants game, Atlanta and Tampa Bay. And all of those games were in basically the first half of the season. He gets all the credit in the world for those games.  But the rest?  

Carolina: He played pretty well, 16/22 for 202 yards, 3 TDS.  But this was a Gibson/Run game game.  He was only asked to throw the ball 22 times.  They ran the ball 40 times.

Seattle: He played well.  27/35, 2 TDs, 1 INT.  But again, this was a run-the-ball game.  They ran the ball 43 times.   The offense scored 17 points.

Las Vegas: He played ok.  23/30 for 196 yards, 2 TDs and an INT.   They ran the ball 30 times also, and the offense scored 17 points.

Giants game to end the season: He went 9-18 for 120 yards, no TDs, no INTs against a team that had completely given up.  

The only way you can win with Taylor starting is 1 particular way:  Run the ball more than you pass the ball, convert a really high percentage of 3rd downs and control the clock. And hope that you are in 17-15 games.  The problem is, that's just not sustainable when every team KNOWS that's what you have to do UNLESS you are the Tennessee Titans and have a run game with Derrick Henry like they do.  And even THEY struggle when they come up against a well QBed team. 

I completely agree you don't give up assets to bring in a bridge QB.  But you also don't have the bridge QB on the roster.  

So, if you go the "rookie + vet" route, then you are signing a Winston/Teddy/Mariota/Mitch kind of guy to be the interim starter.  And yes, ALL of those guys are significantly more capable of playing and starting than TH.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd go Carr too easily over Jimmy G.   Though I think Jimmy G is much more likely to be available.

I'd go Jimmy G only if he's the last man standing and they can get him without giving up the store both as to a draft pick and money given to him. 

Personally I don't think Heinicke is an NFL starter.  Jimmy G clearly is.  A 3 game difference is pretty big. 

Oddly enough, I’m still undecided on Heinicke.  Not that I want him starting, I very much do not, but in terms of just what caliber of qb he is.  He had games he played loose and his accuracy was on point, but far more often he had games in which he was sailing throws or just lofting balls too often.  Because of his inability to truly stretch a defense (and difficulty in hitting throws to the sideline), I tend to think he’s a low end starter/backup at best.  

But, because of his legs (which again, he had games he used them, and plenty of games he really didn’t) and the flashes of accuracy, along with the fact he was a 1 year starter, dealt with a lot of adversity (I feel like he lost a lot of the guys most important to his success) and he improved on (or showed the ability to overcome) quite a few of his issues… maybe he could be “fine” as a bridge qb.  I would not approach the offseason assuming he could do that though.  I’d bring in another qb to compete with him and draft a rookie that would hopefully be the long term guy.

and bringing this back to Garappolo…

To a point you made after this post, my fear is that they do indeed extend him with a fairly hefty contract.  Not the end of the world if they acquire a promising rookie, but I wouldn’t be a fan of the move, and I’d hate it if they don’t get a rookie.  With that said, I’m patient enough that I could live with it if they decided next year’s qb class offers more.  Or if they picked up a later round rookie this year, evaluated him, and then tried again next year.  But that’s me, I get why others are adamant they find their guy immediately. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

If the FO think Jimmy G is the franchise guy we have a front office problem.

Acquiring Jimmy G does not mean he is the franchise guy. But the cost has to be right.

I think where a lot of people are making a mistake here is saying they'd prefer Heinicke over Jimmy G. Most posters here don't believe Heinicke should be the QB1 for any reason whatsoever. He will effect free agency, overall team morale, etc.

If you don't want Jimmy G (truth be told it seems like most of us don't WANT him, but believe he is the floor of what we can acquire) that's fine. But the second people say they'd prefer Heinicke over him it breaks down the conversation. 

Good points, and I agree.  Personally, I don’t care all that much who their bridge guy is as long as they land a promising rookie, but if they don’t land an adequate bridge, it could definitely affect FA.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

This is a false choice though, there are definitely more options then those two.  And choice #2 just absolutely cannot be allowed to happen, it's year 3 coming up, they need a solution now. 

I can accept wanting to give Haskins a chance and live with reality that injuries like Ftiz do happen in this league.  But there's jus no way they can afford to talk about upgrading the QB position all year and leaving door open for Taylor to be the starter.  

Either a veteran or a rookie, they absolutely have to beat Taylor for the #1 job, or this off-season is coming up is a giant collasal failure.  There's no other way around it.

I kind of disagree with the bold.  Now if they draft a qb and Taylor is either 1) the starter initially, and the rookie comes in and plays terribly, or 2) Taylor winds up starting the whole year (and we don’t see the rookie in action)… that would likely be a big failure.  If TH starts though (especially if he beats out a FA guy like Trubisky), but we get to see a rookie play significant time and flash, I’m good with that.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Okay... but if we don't trust the FO (which why should we?) our problem goes well beyond everything else. As in no matter what we do it's not going to matter.

Yeah, I don’t think anyone should automatically trust this FO, but they’ve got a chance to earn that trust still.  If they don’t land a top vet or a promising rookie and go into the season with a Garappolo/Trubisky/etc as the starter for the foreseeable future… ouch.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

1. Rodgers - Likely not going to be available to us, but he is my top choice.

I am talking myself into thinking he is going to be available simply because of the cap situation, and I think he even commented he didn't want to be part of a re-build.  They are ~$50 million over the cap right now, and that's not counting Devonte Adams, who is a FA.  Everybody thinks they will franchise him.  I'm not sure how they can.  I am also not sure how they can re-sign him.  I think in order to get under the cap, they're going to have to do a lot of "stuff." 

Now, Rodgers could help them with that.  If he restructured, he could lower his number.  But I'm not sure if he wants to.  It also might just be time for the two sides to go their separate ways.

And IF he is available, we have the cap room, and we also have the cap room to bring in Adams.  And I REALLY think that would be appealing to Rodgers.  I think, if he's willing to have the conversation, you could say you were going to do anything and everything to bring in Adams, and anybody else he wants, and btw, we have McLaurin sitting here, a pretty good RB, and a few other weapons.  And a really well respected NFL coach who really does give guys freedom to do their own thing.  

This is my nirvana.  I have no idea if it would work, but use the cap room to lure BOTH Adams and Rodgers.  

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

2. Wilson - Possibly available to us, there will be competition.

I'd make the same play as with Rodgers, but clearly I think Rodgers already has a relationship with Adams, so it would mean more.  But I'd offer Russ whatever he wanted in terms of player acquisition as well.  

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

3. Carr - I'm not sure he's going to be available at all.

The only reason they would make him available is if the new GM doesn't want to extend him.  I kindof think he either gets extended or traded.  Why keep a QB on the last year of his deal unless you are going to load up and make a run, or you have a replacement you are grooming.  Otherwise, they could flip him for a 1st +.  

If they just let him play out this year, they're either into the franchise tag hell, lose him, or probably pay more to re-sign him next year with FA looming.

It really is going to depend on what the new GM thinks, and whether they want to roll with him for another 3-5 years.  If not, I think he's traded.  

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

4. Fields - I doubt he's available. Would pay a first.

I was not as high on Fields as you were, but I think a first would be fair compensation for him.  I do think it would be part of a 3-team deal, where Chicago would need the extra first to trade for Watson or Wilson.  GB would literally burn the city to the ground before they traded him to Chicago, so he's out of play. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

5. Rookie (Howell, Corral, Willis preferably)

I think there is a VERY good chance they'd have to trade up to get the guy they want.  If they do this, I would absolutely also sign Winston/Teddy/Mitch/Mariota in order to make sure you have a guy who can start in the building in case the rookie isn't ready to go week 1.  

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

8. Jimmy G

Yeah, that's about the spot I'd put Jimmy G. as well.  

I was wondering if there was a chance he would find his way back to NE to get paired back up with Bill and whatshisname the OC, who LOVED him years ago.  But I think they're going to ride it out with Mac Jones.

I think ideally we should bring in a VET and look further into the draft to take a guy that may have potential and we can season. Of course if Watson is allowed to play id all in trade for him, but realistically thats not a possibility. Bringing in a vet AND taking a qb in first round just to reach for one doesn't make sense to me, maybe even wait till next year to take a qb but what we have currently isn't gonna work so we need to address it, I just hope we don't reach like we foolishly usually do. 

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Another thing to remember about Rodgers is that even if GB decides to trade him, it's quite possible they would refuse to trade him within the NFC. IIRC that was the same with Favre as well...they would only trade him to an AFC team.

I could see that there seems to be alot of smoke with the broncos. When they traded Von Miller I think they were looking ahead for Rodgers trade. I know they gave a second interview to packers oc.

Edited by Redskins 2021

IF it came down to Jimmy G, would you all trade Daron Payne for him versus giving up a draft pick? 

Just curious....

3 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I could see that there seems to be alot of smoke with the broncos. When they traded Von Miller I think they were looking ahead for Rodgers trade. I know they gave a second interview to packers oc.

On Get Up this morning Kimberly Martin she heard Rodgers was amiable to going to Denver.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

IF it came down to Jimmy G, would you all trade Daron Payne for him versus giving up a draft pick? 

Just curious....

I'm not a big fan of a 2nd for Jimmy G, let alone a 1st. Payne is probably worth a 2nd rounder at this point, so I'd say that would be right around the same level as if we gave up our 2nd round pick this year for him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Just curious....

On Get Up this morning Kimberly Martin she heard Rodgers was amiable to going to Denver.

I have to wonder if these teams are talking during season about offseason. I think this broncos trade been building since last season.

I hope are team has something done behind the scenes as well. Rivera seem very confident like he already has something done hope he does.

33 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Oddly enough, I’m still undecided on Heinicke.  Not that I want him starting, I very much do not, but in terms of just what caliber of qb he is.  He had games he played loose and his accuracy was on point, but far more often he had games in which he was sailing throws or just lofting balls too often.  Because of his inability to truly stretch a defense (and difficulty in hitting throws to the sideline), I tend to think he’s a low end starter/backup at best.  

But, because of his legs (which again, he had games he used them, and plenty of games he really didn’t) and the flashes of accuracy, along with the fact he was a 1 year starter, dealt with a lot of adversity (I feel like he lost a lot of the guys most important to his success) and he improved on (or showed the ability to overcome) quite a few of his issues… maybe he could be “fine” as a bridge qb.  I would not approach the offseason assuming he could do that though.  I’d bring in another qb to compete with him and draft a rookie that would hopefully be the long term guy.

I like Taylor as a backup.   But the combination of questionable decision making, accuracy and arm strength is too much for me.  And all of that is backed big time by metrics -- adjusted completion rate is one of the worst in the league, ditto turnover worthy passes.  Yet his YPA is near the bottom.  When you aren't getting the ball down the field and you got accuracy issues -- that's a lethal combination IMO

Your point to me applies better to Trubisky.  Trubisky like Heinicke has awful adjusted completion rates yet still has a bad YPA.  On some metrics there isn't much of a difference between Trubisky and Heinicke or even Sam Darnold.

And I don't buy Trubisky's issues are mostly about Nagy.  Either you throw accurately or you don't.   But with Trubisky he is actually willing to run, unlike Heinicke for the most part.  And Trubisky has the size to take a hit.  My gut is Trubisky won't be turned around into an above average QB.  But he at least has an NFL arm and can run and take a hit.  So while I don't love the idea I can be talked into hey maybe Trubisky has enough upside to improve him.

With Heinicke, I think we are getting everything we can out of him. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Taylor as a backup.   But the combination of questionable decision making, accuracy and arm strength is too much for me.  And all of that is backed big time by metrics -- adjusted completion rate is one of the worst in the league, ditto turnover worthy passes.  Yet his YPA is near the bottom.  When you aren't getting the ball down the field and you got accuracy issues -- that's a lethal combination IMO

Your point to me applies better to Trubisky.  Trubisky like Heinicke has awful adjusted completion rates yet still has a bad YPA.  On some metrics there isn't much of a difference between Trubisky and Heinicke or even Sam Darnold.

And I don't buy Trubisky's issues are mostly about Nagy.  Either you throw accurately or you don't.   But with Trubisky he is actually willing to run, unlike Heinicke for the most part.  And Trubisky has the size to take a hit.  My gut is Trubisky won't be turned around into an above average QB.  But he at least has an NFL arm and can run and take a hit.  So while I don't love the idea I can be talked into hey maybe Trubisky has enough upside to improve him.

With Heinicke, I think we are getting everything we can out of him. 

I agree that Heinicke is good as a backup. One reason why I like him as a backup is that he's shown himself to be good when there isn't much film and/or the opposing defense hasn't game planned for him. When they game plan for someone else and Heinicke comes in, it's a totally different feel.

But we've seen as the season went on that as defenses got more film on him and were able to game plan for him better, then they became very effective at shutting him down. I have a feeling that would just pick up where it left off if he were to start this coming season.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I'm not giving up a 1st rounder for Jimmy G, that would feel like the classic fleecing of Snyder we were used to his first decade as owner.  The fact that the 49ers signed Jimmy G to be their franchise QB and are ready to ship him out a few seasons later and start a QB with very  little experience in 2022 when they are a game away from the Super bowl right now tells me all I need to know about what they think of the guy as a QB. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Teams that need QBs pretty much for sure....

1. NFC East: Washington Football Red Admiral Commanders Team

2. NFC Central: Detroit Lions (Unless they ride with Goff.  

3. NFC South: Carolina Panthers

4. NFC South: New Orleans Saints (Payton is gone, Winston is a FA, everything is in flux)

5. AFC North: Steelers (Ben has retired)

6. AFC West: Denver Broncos

Teams that have "Interesting" QB Situations.  

1. NFC East: Philly Eagles - Do they stick with Hurts or do they try and upgrade?  Somewhat unclear. They could be on the market for a QB, we don't know quite yet. 

2. NFC East: NY Giants - Do they stick with Jones for one more year, and pick up his 5th year option? They could be on the market for a QB, we don't know quite yet. 

3. NFC Central: Minnesota Vikings - They have Kirk at $40m+ cap hit, and they probably want out of that.  New HC/GM coming in.  Signs point to them moving away from Kirk.  

4. NFC Central: Green Bay Packers - They are $50M over the cap.  And Rodgers is cantankerous.  

5. NFC Central: Chicago Bears - New coach/GM coming in, will they make a play for Watson or Wilson, and Fields be available?

6. NFC South: Atlanta Falcons - Matt Ryan is old and expensive.  But he's still good.  So we shall see.  Mostly likely he just stays put.  

7. NFC West: Seattle Seahawks - Russ has said he wants to explore options and it doesn't look like they're going to fire Carrol or he's going to retire.  So he COULD be available.  

8. NFC West: San Fran 49ers - What are you going to do with Jimmy after trading up to get Lance?  Especially after getting to at least the NFC Championship game?

9. AFC South: Miami Dolphins - Probably just sticking with Tua. 

10. AFC South: Houston Texans - The whole Watson fiasco.  But they have a guy who played kindof well through parts of last year, so who knows what they are going to do.  

11. AFC North: Cleveland Browns - Baker Baker the Touchdown Maker is entering into his last season.  So do they extend him?  Trade him?  Keep him without extending him?

12. AFC South: Indy Colts - They seem like they're done with Wentz.  

Available QBs:

The only QBs we KNOW are available are ones in the draft, where they seem like there are 4 guys in the top group, and a few others which are considered good second-day prospects, and FAs.  I'll remind everybody that Colt McCoy is the 5th rated FA QB on ProFootball-something or other.  None of the FAs would be seen as sure-fire starters in any scenario.

My gut:

- I think Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, Jimmy are all going to be on new teams next year.  I didn't think that before this weekend.  ** The caveat is I don't think anybody is trading for Watson until his legal stuff is cleaned up.  So if that's not done, he's stuck in Houston until it is. And then the team needs to know what the Commish is going to do. 

- I think Rodgers and Adams are a pair.  I think they're going to land up in the same spot.  The Broncos have more cap space than we do.  This seems like the most obvious location for both of them to land.  And it's in the AFC, which will make GB happy.  

- I really don't know where Russ will land, but my first thought is Pittsburgh.  They have cap space, they made the playoffs this year, but it's an older team that needs some refreshing.  It's an AFC team, so that makes sense also.  Would the Wilsons want to live in Pittsburgh?  Maybe. I also think Russ and Tomlin would get along.  This seems like the most obvious for me, but I'm not sure the Steelers would be willing to trade the assets needed.  

If not the Steelers, then I want to say the Colts.  They want out of the Wentz deal.  The problem is going to be they probably don't have the compensation the Seahawks want because they traded for Wentz last year.  But it's a good team.  The other problem is that it's Indy, and I'm not sure the Ciara is going to want to live in Indy.  

And my third thought is the NYG.  Because I think Ciara (and Russ) would like to live in NY.  The challenge there is they suck.  But they are getting a legit GM, and probably a good coach, so maybe Russ sees some pieces and thinks he can elevate them quickly. And the division is not great.  And the Giants could send Jones back as part of a trade, so Seattle at least had a guy who has started on their roster while they look for a new guy.

I've heard Chicago, but I think Seattle would prefer to send Russ to the AFC.  It's possible, but I feel like it would be odd.

- Watson, I can't even speculate.  

- I think when the Draft rolls around, at least 3 of the QBs will go in the first 10 picks.  I don't know the order or who.  

- I kindof feel the Vikings are going to be stuck with Kirk whether they want to be or not because of the contract.  

So, that's the landscape. There are many more teams who want a new QB than there are good options available.

I don't know where we will land.  I do know they're going to have to overpay for just about anything they do. Because supply is less than demand.  So we'll see.  

My gut is we don't get one of the top-end guys, so we sign Mitch and trade up in the draft to get their top choice in the draft.  That's just a guess.

My hope is they land Rodgers and Adams.

They might settle on Jimmy G. if they can get him for a 2nd, and then they can roll with him, extend him for 3 years and draft a replacement next year or the year after.  But you'd at least have competent QB play in the interim.  My biggest concern with Jimmy is his availability.  I wouldn't be surprised if you see them sign a veteran backup if they trade for Jimmy G, like possibly Mariota or Mitch if they don't get starting offers from one of the other teams.  

• Like 2

Whats wierd about Heinickie is that I think his arm is really the only thing holding him back.  He has ELITE level pocket awareness and escapability in the pocket however pretty much every thing else about his game is below NFL average.  

Reminds me of a young Drew Brees before Drew worked on developing his arm strength.  If TH could get he arm strength on par I think he could actually be a competent QB.  I did see that he sustained a major injury to his shoulder in he Junior or Senior year in college.  That could be whats holding his arm strength back.

Its rare to see a guy with such a below average game then have attributes that are Elite TH is also clutch AF in big moments.  Such a strange thing.

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Teams that need QBs pretty much for sure....

1. NFC East: Washington Football Red Admiral Commanders Team

2. NFC Central: Detroit Lions (Unless they ride with Goff.  

3. NFC South: Carolina Panthers

4. NFC South: New Orleans Saints (Payton is gone, Winston is a FA, everything is in flux)

5. AFC North: Steelers (Ben has retired)

6. AFC West: Denver Broncos

Teams that have "Interesting" QB Situations.  

1. NFC East: Philly Eagles - Do they stick with Hurts or do they try and upgrade?  Somewhat unclear. They could be on the market for a QB, we don't know quite yet. 

2. NFC East: NY Giants - Do they stick with Jones for one more year, and pick up his 5th year option? They could be on the market for a QB, we don't know quite yet. 

3. NFC Central: Minnesota Vikings - They have Kirk at $40m+ cap hit, and they probably want out of that.  New HC/GM coming in.  Signs point to them moving away from Kirk.  

4. NFC Central: Green Bay Packers - They are $50M over the cap.  And Rodgers is cantankerous.  

5. NFC Central: Chicago Bears - New coach/GM coming in, will they make a play for Watson or Wilson, and Fields be available?

6. NFC South: Atlanta Falcons - Matt Ryan is old and expensive.  But he's still good.  So we shall see.  Mostly likely he just stays put.  

7. NFC West: Seattle Seahawks - Russ has said he wants to explore options and it doesn't look like they're going to fire Carrol or he's going to retire.  So he COULD be available.  

8. NFC West: San Fran 49ers - What are you going to do with Jimmy after trading up to get Lance?  Especially after getting to at least the NFC Championship game?

9. AFC South: Miami Dolphins - Probably just sticking with Tua. 

10. AFC South: Houston Texans - The whole Watson fiasco.  But they have a guy who played kindof well through parts of last year, so who knows what they are going to do.  

11. AFC North: Cleveland Browns - Baker Baker the Touchdown Maker is entering into his last season.  So do they extend him?  Trade him?  Keep him without extending him?

12. AFC South: Indy Colts - They seem like they're done with Wentz.  

Available QBs:

The only QBs we KNOW are available are ones in the draft, where they seem like there are 4 guys in the top group, and a few others which are considered good second-day prospects, and FAs.  I'll remind everybody that Colt McCoy is the 5th rated FA QB on ProFootball-something or other.  None of the FAs would be seen as sure-fire starters in any scenario.

My gut:

- I think Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, Jimmy are all going to be on new teams next year.  I didn't think that before this weekend.  ** The caveat is I don't think anybody is trading for Watson until his legal stuff is cleaned up.  So if that's not done, he's stuck in Houston until it is. And then the team needs to know what the Commish is going to do. 

- I think Rodgers and Adams are a pair.  I think they're going to land up in the same spot.  The Broncos have more cap space than we do.  This seems like the most obvious location for both of them to land.  And it's in the AFC, which will make GB happy.  

- I really don't know where Russ will land, but my first thought is Pittsburgh.  They have cap space, they made the playoffs this year, but it's an older team that needs some refreshing.  It's an AFC team, so that makes sense also.  Would the Wilsons want to live in Pittsburgh?  Maybe. I also think Russ and Tomlin would get along.  This seems like the most obvious for me, but I'm not sure the Steelers would be willing to trade the assets needed.  

If not the Steelers, then I want to say the Colts.  They want out of the Wentz deal.  The problem is going to be they probably don't have the compensation the Seahawks want because they traded for Wentz last year.  But it's a good team.  The other problem is that it's Indy, and I'm not sure the Ciara is going to want to live in Indy.  

And my third thought is the NYG.  Because I think Ciara (and Russ) would like to live in NY.  The challenge there is they suck.  But they are getting a legit GM, and probably a good coach, so maybe Russ sees some pieces and thinks he can elevate them quickly. And the division is not great.  And the Giants could send Jones back as part of a trade, so Seattle at least had a guy who has started on their roster while they look for a new guy.

I've heard Chicago, but I think Seattle would prefer to send Russ to the AFC.  It's possible, but I feel like it would be odd.

- Watson, I can't even speculate.  

- I think when the Draft rolls around, at least 3 of the QBs will go in the first 10 picks.  I don't know the order or who.  

- I kindof feel the Vikings are going to be stuck with Kirk whether they want to be or not because of the contract.  

So, that's the landscape. There are many more teams who want a new QB than there are good options available.

I don't know where we will land.  I do know they're going to have to overpay for just about anything they do. Because supply is less than demand.  So we'll see.  

My gut is we don't get one of the top-end guys, so we sign Mitch and trade up in the draft to get their top choice in the draft.  That's just a guess.

My hope is they land Rodgers and Adams.

They might settle on Jimmy G. if they can get him for a 2nd, and then they can roll with him, extend him for 3 years and draft a replacement next year or the year after.  But you'd at least have competent QB play in the interim.  My biggest concern with Jimmy is his availability.  I wouldn't be surprised if you see them sign a veteran backup if they trade for Jimmy G, like possibly Mariota or Mitch if they don't get starting offers from one of the other teams.  

This is a great list

I think best case for us is if Rodgers goes to Denver that Las Vegas then trades for russ Wilson and we get David Carr. The problem is I don't know who Seattle would use at QB then. Which makes me thing Seattle will run it back and Carr will not get traded.

Also I can't see us going into rebranding with out a mid level QB. Which makes me think we get JimmyG. 

6 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

Whats wierd about Heinickie is that I think his arm is really the only thing holding him back.  He has ELITE level pocket awareness and escapability in the pocket

Elite is a strong word to use to describe his awareness and escapability.  He's crafty for sure at escaping out of situations one shouldn't get out of.  But dude will eat a sack vs. throw it away too often to be considered elite in the pocket.  I guess you could contribute this to his arm strength somewhat, but he attempts passes he has absolutely no business attempting.  It's hard for me to put that solely on the arm and not point to his decision making instead, as he has to know what he's not capable of.

• Thanks 1