Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But when I talk up dudes like Corral and Howell for just coming off like tough SOBs, I don't get that vibe from Trubisky.  He does come off though as a super nice guy.   But again that's just from an initial blush into him.  My mind might change.

I'll reiterate: I think my take on Mitch and yours is fairly close. I think he has more redeemability than you seem to so far. But I agree. Trubisky isn't the guy. None of these FA guys are. There's always a minute chance one turns their career around, but most likely their ceiling is "respectability if needed".

I don't want to travel down the if needed road. 

1 minute ago, JoggingGod said:

Why are we arguing about which trash can stinks less?

Read the whole conversation.

One of these trash cans could wind up our 1A if we stand pat at 11.

I don't like it, either. But this is a very real possibility. And yes, we'd be screwed regardless.

But this is a forum that we talk football on. Some of us like to discuss things rather than drive by trash can one liners. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I don’t put much stock into the reports about Ryan and Mayfield not being on the move.  First, the Ryan news came from the coach.  Of course he wants to keep a veteran around.  It gives him a better shot of not losing 12-17 games and not getting fired.  And for Baker, of course you are going to put it out there that you want to keep him to drive the compensation up.

5 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I don’t put much stock into the reports about Ryan and Mayfield not being on the move.  First, the Ryan news came from the coach.  Of course he wants to keep a veteran around.  It gives him a better shot of not losing 12-17 games and not getting fired.  And for Baker, of course you are going to put it out there that you want to keep him to drive the compensation up.

That could be.  Browns are in a bit of a pickle.  Their roster is loaded but are missing the QB.  Atlanta is in the middle of a Bruce Allen style roster play -- don't go for a hard rebuild, don't go for the kill, play it smack in the middle and bank on mediocrity maybe isn't so bad. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Ryan's contract is a killer if he gets traded. They have to keep him for at least one more year.

The Browns exercised Mayfield's 5th year option so it doesn't make sense to get rid of him unless you get a slam dunk upgrade and that's just not likely. My guess is they roll with him for one more year and see if he can bounce back after getting healthy.

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Ryan's contract is a killer if he gets traded. They have to keep him for at least one more year.

The Browns exercised Mayfield's 5th year option so it doesn't make sense to get rid of him unless you get a slam dunk upgrade and that's just not likely. My guess is they roll with him for one more year and see if he can bounce back after getting healthy.

I think, in the end, Ryan stays and Mayfield gets moved. They don’t seem to be in a place right now where they are thinking extension.  And if he has a 2020ish year, the Browns have a Cousins situation where you are either franchising him or you lose him for draft compensation.  I think the media reports of their breakup last week were overblown and they could make it work, but that they end up moving on from him.

39 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Why are we arguing about which trash can stinks less?

for some time i've been of the mind that you're half troll and half dumbass white noise---add the point that you've had two bans from two other mods (not me, but i've warned you at least once) and i get a negative number

i came in this thread to make a post on the topic and i will,  but as part of today in the nfl is  "fire them!" monday,  i'll take this time to add you to the list of peeps looking for a new place to do their thing :) 

now to football: i know tua coming here has been mentioned in this or other threads but now that flores has been fired it may be that tua is even more disposble to miami...so does the group think that's a definite no go or is he worth serious consideration?  i'd say yes, depending of course on 'cost'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think Rivera needs to draft a QB to be kept around past next year.  Gibbs, Shanny and Gruden got four seasons (and a few games for Gruden).  It's been over a decade since we fired a coach quickly, and the team had regressed under Zorn in his second year

As for QB, I think if we get someone it will be a leftover.  We get a QB someone has to move because they got a QB

4 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

now to football: i know tua coming here has been mentioned in this or other threads but now that flores has been fired it may be that tua is even more disposble to miami...so does the group think that's a definite no go or is he worth serious consideration?  i'd say yes, depending of course on 'cost'

Good point and Tua is an avenue that needs to be reviewed. He would be a young talented upgrade and may not cost the 1st rounder. Would like the idea of adding him and look to the draft

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Just said in another thread I wonder if Flores was canned because he was against a potential move by them for Watson, thus making Tua expendable.

Would be a yes from me as well. It’s probably my option 3 after option 1 getting Carr, not happening, and option 2 just draft someone in round one. 

Thereafter, Tua for a couple of thirds say. I’d do that. Might still draft a guy but the whole Tua being a lefty is so damn inconvenient :rofl89:

• Like 1

Rosen got a 2nd rounder. Tua for a second is I would do.

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Just said in another thread I wonder if Flores was canned because he was against a potential move by them for Watson, thus making Tua expendable.

Would be a yes from me as well. It’s probably my option 3 after option 1 getting Carr, not happening, and option 2 just draft someone in round one. 

Thereafter, Tua for a couple of thirds say. I’d do that. Might still draft a guy but the whole Tua being a lefty is so damn inconvenient :rofl89:

I think may had something to due with it he was good at end.of year.

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Good point and Tua is an avenue that needs to be reviewed. He would be a young talented upgrade and may not cost the 1st rounder. Would like the idea of adding him and look to the draft

me too--i've been mostly neutral if leaning a bit towards 'probably not' on the idea that he's a 'bust' or was really over-hyped as to potential

but i have seen real flaws yet i still allow for much of it to be basic rookie growing pains based on all the data points that are relevant, inc. of course seeing him play on bad and good days...so i'd keep him in the mix at this point at least

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I don’t think either qb gets traded (for different reasons, but it’s possible), but I agree about not putting much stock into the reports, mainly because the ATL/CLE FOs might not get an offer they like and it’s smarter not to ruffle feathers in case they keep their qbs.  And I don’t see other FOs saying “oh, well I read a tweet saying they’re not shopping x guy, so let’s not bother enquiring” either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I don’t think either qb gets traded (for different reasons, but it’s possible), but I agree about not putting much stock into the reports, mainly because the ATL/CLE FOs might not get an offer they like and it’s smarter not to ruffle feathers in case they keep their qbs.  And I don’t see other FOs saying “oh, well I read a tweet saying they’re not shopping x guy, so let’s not bother enquiring” either.

How many more year will Ryan last.

1 minute ago, Jumbo said:

me too--i've been mostly neutral if leaning a bit towards 'probably not' on the idea that he's a 'bust' or was really over-hyped as to potential

but i have seen real flaws yet i still allow for much of it to be basic rookie growing pains based on all the data points that are relevant, inc. of course seeing him play on bad and good days...so i'd keep him in the mix at this point at least

Yes I still find his potential intriguing although I do not think he will be a superstar. Would be open to watching him with our healthy offense plus offseason adds

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I'd prefer Tu'a to Trubisky/Bridgewater/Mariota. But if he costs a 2 I'm not sure that's a route I'd go down. Not sure I wouldn't, either.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I started this thread so that when people were turning every other thread into a QB thread, I could say "go to the QB thread" and not have every single conversation devolve into a QB thread, but it's really aged well thanks to Heinickes play and Fitz's waterpark addiction. 

I'm shocked we never saw Allen and I really wish we were able to trade for Trubs at the break.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'd prefer Tu'a to Trubisky/Bridgewater/Mariota. But if he costs a 2 I'm not sure that's a route I'd go down. Not sure I wouldn't, either.

I don't see Tua as a huge upside to some of the QBs in the draft, so I'd rather use a 1rst (or more) on one of them.

That second would be much better used on Muma or Cine.

32 minutes ago, MrJL said:

I don't think Rivera needs to draft a QB to be kept around past next year.  Gibbs, Shanny and Gruden got four seasons (and a few games for Gruden).  It's been over a decade since we fired a coach quickly, and the team had regressed under Zorn in his second year

As for QB, I think if we get someone it will be a leftover.  We get a QB someone has to move because they got a QB

I dont think he gets fired after year 3. Its after year 4 or during when hes due for an extension or fire before going into a Lame Duck season.

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't see Tua as a huge upside to some of the QBs in the draft, so I'd rather use a 1rst (or more) on one of them.

That second would be much better used on Muma or Cine.

I don't disagree. It all depends on how they feel about their chances on getting the QB they like in the draft.

I don't think you trade a 2 for Tu'a and draft a QB in the first unless you have an extra 2.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't disagree. It all depends on how they feel about their chances on getting the QB they like in the draft.

I don't think you trade a 2 for Tu'a and draft a QB in the first unless you have an extra 2.

If Miami wants Watson send Payne to Miami for Tua. They miami will then send Payne to Houston there dline stinks in Watson deal. If they can't resign Payne get something for him.

Edited by Redskins 2021

I don't like the FA or draft options for QB this year.  By FA I mean reasonable.  I think RR & the FO will probably spend another year focusing on improving depth, speed, and talent for the rest of the team.  That's what I'd like to see them do anyways.  Only get a QB if you don't have to overpay.  There are still a lot of pressing needs and there are some tough decisions coming up with contracts.  Scherff, Payne (next year but I'd like to keep him), McLaurin needs to be paid, and some players won't be worth their salary.  I really like last year's draft.  It's shaping up to be an overall success.  (Dunno if you saw it KDawg but I really like the athleticism of Cosmi on the reach block for an outside zone run).  I think Davis can develop into the Buffalo nickel but you still need an LB.  (Cheaper than Collins and more athletic).  Need a FS who can cover sideline to sideline.  OLine depth (can never get enough there)  MUST get a 2nd receiver to take pressure off McLaurin.  Not counting on Samuel.  They have a lot of needs but aren't as far away as the record shows.  

Just now, ThomasRoane said:

I don't like the FA or draft options for QB this year.  By FA I mean reasonable.  I think RR & the FO will probably spend another year focusing on improving depth, speed, and talent for the rest of the team.  That's what I'd like to see them do anyways.  Only get a QB if you don't have to overpay.  There are still a lot of pressing needs and there are some tough decisions coming up with contracts.  Scherff, Payne (next year but I'd like to keep him), McLaurin needs to be paid, and some players won't be worth their salary.  I really like last year's draft.  It's shaping up to be an overall success.  (Dunno if you saw it KDawg but I really like the athleticism of Cosmi on the reach block for an outside zone run).  I think Davis can develop into the Buffalo nickel but you still need an LB.  (Cheaper than Collins and more athletic).  Need a FS who can cover sideline to sideline.  OLine depth (can never get enough there)  MUST get a 2nd receiver to take pressure off McLaurin.  Not counting on Samuel.  They have a lot of needs but aren't as far away as the record shows.  

I did. I also saw him forget to kick step on a play.

This staff can't afford another season without a QB. They will be out of jobs and there will be no fanbase left.

We are now desperate for a QB. A position we really needed to avoid.