Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

47 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Just because he didn't pick Maye does not mean Peters did not like him. They brought him along all the way to the end of the process. He was considered.

What prevented Maye from being the selection was the amount of work that had to be put in him to get him where he needs to be to have a chance at success. Peters flat out said he was not looking to take a project, and Drake Maye is a project. Mechanics, footwork, decision making... practically all the fundamentals of the QB position.

You don't take projects when you are sitting at the top of the draft and there are polished prospects with really high upside. You don't take God-Bod Anthony Richardson when CJ Stroud and Bryce Young are right there. It played out again this year.

We got a player w/ uber high upside who already has polish in the most important areas you can ask for as a passer. You can't ask for much more as an NFL exec.

Can we please let this lazy analysis die? Our team clearly preferred Daniels, that's it.

The Patriots didn't hesitate and draft Maye right afterwards at #3. The Giants and Vikings tried hard to trade up for him. No one does that for a player like you are describing here. Clearly many in the NFL did not share that sentiment.

On another note:

Edited by Panninho

14 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

I would prefer Maye to be a complete bust at this point. Worse than Zach Wilson. Patriots deserve some decades of turmoil. It’s the only proper outcome. Most obnoxious fans on the planet. 

Id rather he not completely bust as he seems like a good kid and I don't want to root for anyones demise...  Besides, we don't want the Patriots picking in the top 5.. better for them to flounder in mediocrity like we have for so many years.  6-8 wins.  Hopefully eventually Maye will move on and play somewhere else similar to what Cousins has done.

JD and Maye (and Caleb) will obviously all be linked for years with their careers being compared.  Hopefully there isn't much of a comparison and JD becomes what we all are hoping for.

Welp... Looks like my man Tress Way will be wearing a different number.  Does a punter get paid to give up his number? Way #5 was actually the last jersey I bought... lol  

Edited by Idaho fan

14 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

I would prefer Maye to be a complete bust at this point. Worse than Zach Wilson. Patriots deserve some decades of turmoil. It’s the only proper outcome. Most obnoxious fans on the planet. 

There’s a decent chance of this happening. Maye is raw and if they throw him to the wolves day 1 without any weapons they might well ruin him.

If they were smart they’d start Jacoby this year but we’ll see.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Idaho fan said:

Id rather he not completely bust as he seems like a good kid and I don't want to root for anyones demise...  Besides, we don't want the Patriots picking in the top 5.. better for them to flounder in mediocrity like we have for so many years.  6-8 wins.  Hopefully eventually Maye will move on and play somewhere else similar to what Cousins has done.

JD and Maye (and Caleb) will obviously all be linked for years with their careers being compared.  Hopefully there isn't much of a comparison and JD becomes what we all are hoping for.

I want Caleb to bust even more. I’m a UCLA guy, my hate for him went back to 100 the second the card was turned in last night. 

I have no moral dilemma rooting for Maye’s demise. I’m not rooting for him to get hurt, just to suck. Screw that guy and the Patriots. I never liked his accent anyway. 😂 

But if they do suck and we don’t hit on our pick it’s a wash. I like Adam Peters a lot and I don’t want him in a situation where he bypassed a great player for one who didn’t pan out. That would significantly erode the optimism of the fan base and positivity for the new regime. That’s the last outcome I want and that’s why I am going to remain positive about things for now. They deserve the benefit of the doubt in my opinion. 

20 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Can we please let this lazy analysis die? Our team clearly preferred Daniels, that's it.

The Patriots didn't hesitate and draft Maye right afterwards at #3. The Giants and Vikings tried hard to trade up for him. No one does that for a player like you are describing here. Clearly many in the NFL did not share that sentiment.

As they should. I like Maye. He is a good prospect. I think he was the best of what was left when it came to the Vikes n Giants. I would have taken him at #3 if I was NE too. But none of that changes anything about what I said.

We went to Mayes Pro Day. We had private meetings. He was in our top 30 visits. Clearly there were things to like. Hes not a bum.

But throw a dart into the professional scouts aether and its almost a lock to find the description that fits a project. Is what it is.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

I think Pats are in a good spot. They brought it Brisset with the idea that he will most likely start and keep them competitive in 24, so at worst they are looking at a mid round pick in 25(which wont get you a franchise potential QB especially in a weak QB class) Maye gets to sit for a year and learn/ improve his mechanics and then Pats get to reload in 25 with a O heavy draft to set them up for years to come.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Our team clearly preferred Daniels, that's it.

To play off of this.  

Clear as a bell, a zillion have said so as to their conversations around the NFL, scouts, personnel guys, coaches.  Daniels >> Maye.  Not just because he's ready to win now but they feel like he's the distinctly better QB.

The funky take from Peters is McCarthy >> Maye.

Scouts-coaches, etc overwhelmingly felt that it was Daniels over Maye by a clear peg.  But also Scouts-coaches, etc overwhelmingly felt that it was Maye over McCarthy by a clear peg.

It's not hard for me to piece together that one of the coaches in the mix of Keim's conversations was with Kyle Shanaham even though he didn't flat out say it

People comparing daniels to RG 3 or Randal Cunningham Let me throw a few more names out there:

Steve McNair, McNabb, Vince Young.

HIs passing arm has me thinking Warren moon, but I don't remember moon being that mobile

Edited by Veretax

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To play off of this.  

Clear as a bell, a zillion have said so as to their conversations around the NFL, scouts, personnel guys, coaches.  Daniels >> Maye.  Not just because he's ready to win now but they feel like he's the distinctly better QB.

Scouts-coaches, etc overwhelmingly felt that it was Daniels over Maye by a clear peg.  But also Scouts-coaches, etc overwhelmingly felt that it was Maye over McCarthy by a clear peg.

It's not hard for me to piece together that one of the coaches in the mix of Keim's conversations was with Kyle Shanaham even though he didn't flat out say it

Yeah, that is probably true. But we did not decide against Maye because he was a huge project that basically lacks all fundamentals of QB-play. We picked Daniels because we preferred him. And the league did not see Maye as a huge project or they wouldn't have taken him at #3.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Panninho said:

On another note:

After seeing those shirt,s with the live arm that Daniels has... how long before he gets the nick name
Jayden 5, He's alive
With a picture of him and the Short Circuit robot Johnny Five on it ;)

;)

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To play off of this.  

I don’t think having JJ rated higher than either is all that funky. If you are not swinging on upside and just drafting for what they are and their potential to not bust, it’s JJ all day for me.

When you include upside it’s a tougher sell. 

But I think JJ has a much more even hit:just ratio than either.

While JD has the most ceiling potential and floor potential. But man if he hits… sweet sassafrass.

5 minutes ago, Veretax said:

After seeing those shirt,s with the live arm that Daniels has... how long before he gets the nick name
Jayden 5, He's alive
With a picture of him and the Short Circuit robot Johnny Five on it ;)

;)

Never. This is never going to happen. He just got here and you’re trying to run him

away with a nickname like “Jayden 5, he’s alive!”

Hopefully we are never saying that about the guy. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think having JJ rated higher than either is all that funky. If you are not swinging on upside and just drafting for what they are and their potential to not bust, it’s JJ all day for me.

When you include upside it’s a tougher sell. 

But I think JJ has a much more even hit:just ratio than either.

I've been talking about JJ on the draft thread since May 2023, so yeah i like JJ.  But, that wasn't my point.  It was about leaks as to how others saw it.

The point was article after article report after report came out before the draft and since.  Reputable reporters like Breer, Schefter, Keim, Standig, M. Jones, the Athletic reporters on and on and on.

And it was clear as a bell both NFL coaches and FO people, who talked to reporters about this, the large majority of them had Daniels over Maye and by a clear peg most of the time.  Whether they will be vindicated on that or not remains to be seen.  But my point was Peters fit the group think on that one.

But on the same point, the majority of coaches-scouts preferred Maye over McCarthy.  On that one Peters clearly disagreed.  On that one, he didn't fit the group think.

As for my own personal opinion, it was Maye by a half peg over Daniels over a full peg over McCarthy.  But I wasn't referring to personal opinions as to my point.

37 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Yeah, that is probably true. But we did not decide against Maye because he was a huge project that basically lacks all fundamentals of QB-play. We picked Daniels because we preferred him. And the league did not see Maye as a huge project or they wouldn't have taken him at #3.

Yeah agree with this.  I said before the draft -- zero chance this FO is taking who they feel is the inferior QB just because they are more pro-ready today.  Aside from it being weird for a first year regime to impose pressure on themselves to win now -- they'd look like idiots if Drake Maye turned into Josh Allen even if it took an extra year or two to happen and Daniels ended up meh.

Whether they are right or wrong, will see.  But they clearly think Daniels is the better player now and the future.

As to Maye, yeah I think the project stuff is BS.  He has things to clean up but IMO he can play now and play well now.  Will see.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

Don't fool yourself. The Patriots have had "several decades of turmoil."

They made five playoff appearances from their formation in 1960 to the time Kraft bought the franchise (Jan. '94). The only true oasis was 1984-'86, including a surprise Super Bowl run.

Between '89 and '95, they were 4th or 5th in their division 6x winning 2 games or less twice. Then there was also the Lisa Olsen Scandal around the same time, Hart Lee Dykes incident(s), Victor Kiam and Sam Orthwein wanting to relocate, and various other "bad luck" events that plagued the franchise. All the while playing home games in a "stadium" that some Texas High School programs would go, "Nah, we're good."

The better tackle football in those days took place in the gravel parking lots.

Edited by CTskins

11 minutes ago, Llevron said:

So wait is he wearing 5 or 1? I thought the jersey they were selling had 1 on it? Or am I slower than I thought lol

The 1 is the draft jersey. No official word on the number yet. JD is selling tee shirts with him wearing #5 in a Commander uniform on his website.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CTskins said:

Don't fool yourself. The Patriots have had "several decades of turmoil."

They made five playoff appearances from their formation in 1960 to the time Kraft bought the franchise (Jan. '94). The only true oasis was 1984-'86, including a surprise Super Bowl run.

Between '89 and '95, they were 4th or 5th in their division 6x winning 2 games or less twice. Then there was also the Lisa Olsen Scandal around the same time, Hart Lee Dykes incident(s), Victor Kiam and Sam Orthwein wanting to relocate, and various other "bad luck" events that plagued the franchise. All the while playing home games in a "stadium" that some Texas High School programs would go, "Nah, we're good."

The better tackle football in those days took place in the gravel parking lots.

I still remember that game vs. New England in 90? Not an overly fun game. It was a win but just looked drab and dull and it was on artificial turf.

• Thumb up 1

17 hours ago, ClaytoAli said:

Maye fans 

tenor.gif

Might just be the biggest bs artist in the entire culinary world, that dude.

Should add, I am the Dead Sea of saltiness when it comes to the selection at 2. 

17 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Falcons fans...

durr.gif

Bears are going to have the best WRs in the league easily.

Brian Regan, the greatest comedian 90% of the public doesn't know. Absolute genius. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Wyvern said:

I was warned by people from cities whose franchises were bought by the Harris group, about how we may not like their changes to the franchise.

What a bad short-term marketing driven choice by Peters!  My opinion only, but I'm too tired to invest in yet another Washington FO decision that could be questionable for the long term.  

It's not marketing, if he misses, its collective NFL stupidity at QB, like with Ponder, Manuel, Bortles, Mariota, Trubisky, Darnold Danny Dimes, Pickett, Young and so many others. The NFL gets these guys wrong sometimes and it definitely appears like a good 80-85% of the NFL GM's and departments, and possibly more had Daniels 2 rather than Maye, as many of us think they should have. The fullness of time should tell who was right. Otoh, I have a built in excuse for Maye that will be hard not to use: the entire set up in NE is a 1000% ---- show. It would be hard for anyone to be successful there. 

16 hours ago, Wyvern said:

Let's see what unfolds -- Daniels is a KK-style QB, and maybe this time Washington won't wind up as Arizona Part II, or RG3-part 2.

(FYI, I strongly feel KK should take his offense plans back to the NCAA, because they don't seem to work well in the NFL.) 

I'm even more concerned how Peters decided to go with a KK style QB; I've now lost confidence in Peters'bility to pick a decent QB, other than Purdy, who I feel he lucked into. Fortunately, at #2 it's hard to completely blow the pick.

Well the franchise track record with QB selection when Peters was in there, in any capacity at all, Patriots, Broncos, Niners was largely total ---. Pats had a minor hit with Brady's '08 backup, I forget his name but other than that, it's Purdy, and Purdy is only half a selling point. If Peters and the ex Bucs DB Lynch thought Purdy was going to be an NFC Championship or bust level starter as he's become, why on earth did they wait until the end of the 7th round to take him. Answer. They had no clue he would be this good, just like anybody else, he was just worth a dart throw for them at that point and by some miracle he hit. So it is reasonable to say, Peters has zero magic touch at the job just like every other GM and top F.O. exec. They all suck, to varying degrees. It appears to just be pretty near to impossible to do this well, or to do this effectively at any rate that isn't suggestive that blind luck is the largest proportional piece of the eval that should get the credit. 

16 hours ago, Llevron said:

Still no consideration that maybe the statistics you are looking at are taken out of context and mean little? I have been telling y’all that. If you watch the games, that sack % for example is easily explained.

Or they just don’t care. Or they don’t have the numbers and only people on the internet have them lol

Yeah because the people on the internet were so wrong when they argued Young was a lollipop guild extra rather than a starting QB in this league, or that Zach Wilson was Milf Hunter, rather than a starting QB, or that Kenny Pickett was --- and Sam Howell was better, or that Mitch Trubisky going ahead of Watson and Mahomes were jokes etc.

There's no evidence at all that the NFL is any good at this, nor anyone else (to be fair). Everyone sucks at QB eval. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Veretax said:

Speaking of which who was the last notable QB to wear #5 for Washington?

Was it McNabb?

Pretty sure that is correct

also Jayden wears number 5 because of McNabb so if he indeed gets the number from Tress that would be cool for him