Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

He's a former NFL QB who bounced around teams' practice squads for a few years and who's career highlight was kneeling the ball twice in GB. Just because he was in the NFL for a little while doesn't make him a QB whisperer. As a QB scout or draftnick he's a rando. The only reason he showed up here is because he pumped up Daniels so you posted his stuff.

Again, you can pick and choose whose opinion you value, or just whine about it. 

But his opinion is no different than QB School's after 4 games (and I chose NOT to post what Merrill Hodge said today even though I posted his thoughts on Caleb Williams)

Edited by ThatNFLChick

Dang, Merril, just tell us how you really feel 🤨

https://www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/merril_hoge_explains_shocking_takes_on_drake_maye_caleb_williams/s1_13132_40020459

Hoge said during a Monday morning appearance on Washington, D.C. sports radio station 106.7 The Fan that he "wouldn’t draft" North Carolina Tar Heels quarterback Drake Maye in the first round of the 2024 player-selection process. 

"There are a bunch of things that bother me – he’s extremely inconsistent, his accuracy and processing are inconsistent, he misses a lot of hots, he’s not extremely athletic, and I find him more stiff," Hoge said about Maye. "He's got a longer throwing motion which allows more hits in our league than he gets in college, and I’m just bothered by it." 

"When you see an inconsistent thrower in college, and these pockets are clean and people are wide open...when you create a dirty pocket for them, it gets worse," Hoge said about his evaluations.  

You can tell Hoge hasn’t actually watched a ton of Maye. Talking about benefiting from a clean pocket and wide open receivers, and how he won’t be used to a dirty pocket in the NFL? Maye? Drake Maye?

Also finding him to be stiff and not very athletic is a joke. This is starting to remind me of the skill position dudes who make things look so smooth and easy that they don’t seem athletic. Maye is not Daniels obviously but he’s extremely athletic for a guy his size who isn’t expected to be a “running” QB. Arguing he’s stiff just makes you sound ignorant. It’s the opposite, he’s an athlete. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Yeah as others have said Benkert was a college qb and a clipboard holder for a few years in the nfl.

The reason I put any stock in him is because his breakdowns of plays are some of the most in depth I've seen.  He talks about what the defense is doing, what the offense is doing, etc, really digs into each individual play.  Or at least did for Daniels and Williams.  I don't think he's released the Maye video yet.

So he's not a guru per se, but another voice among the many, but he also isn't a regurgitator like some guys are.  Worth seeing the video when it hits.

1 minute ago, Conn said:

You can tell Hoge hasn’t actually watched a ton of Maye. Talking about benefiting from a clean pocket and wide open receivers, and how he won’t be used to a dirty pocket in the NFL? Maye? Drake Maye?

Yeah this is where it's nice to know what games/plays people are watching because the Maye's pockets were often NOT clean.

Chase Daniel’s on Daniel’s. 

Scouting Report on Jayden Daniels:

️Best back shoulder thrower I’ve seen
️Extremely gifted athlete running the ball
️Next Level Accuracy (72.2% comp)
️Unique combo of pocket passer & runner
️Gets thru progressions with best of them
️Too skinny and takes too many hits. Has to protect himself better at next level

NFLThreads

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Dang, Merril, just tell us how you really feel 🤨

https://www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/merril_hoge_explains_shocking_takes_on_drake_maye_caleb_williams/s1_13132_40020459

Hoge said during a Monday morning appearance on Washington, D.C. sports radio station 106.7 The Fan that he "wouldn’t draft" North Carolina Tar Heels quarterback Drake Maye in the first round of the 2024 player-selection process. 

"There are a bunch of things that bother me – he’s extremely inconsistent, his accuracy and processing are inconsistent, he misses a lot of hots, he’s not extremely athletic, and I find him more stiff," Hoge said about Maye. "He's got a longer throwing motion which allows more hits in our league than he gets in college, and I’m just bothered by it." 

"When you see an inconsistent thrower in college, and these pockets are clean and people are wide open...when you create a dirty pocket for them, it gets worse," Hoge said about his evaluations.  

Based strictly on game film, Hoge called Griffin a superior prospect in terms of accuracy, arm strength, and touch. Hoge gave Luck the edge only as a decision maker, because Luck played in a pro-style college offense and is “outstanding at the line of scrimmage.” As for athleticism, Huge says it’s a “push.”

Hoge emphasized that Griffin’s accuracy, particularly on perimeter and downfield throws, is significantly better than Luck’s. “This to me, you have to have. In college you have to display you have accuracy. ... His accuracy outside the numbers -- short, intermediate, vertical -- I was blown away,” Hoge said. “I could not believe the accuracy. He was better than Luck.”

Don’t be shocked if the Colts take RG3. ... Football people will look at this, and they’ll be like ‘holy cow. That kid [Griffin] is unreal.’”

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

Peter King thinks we are going to move up for Caleb and that Chicago is open for business. Peter is also retiring. Good riddance to the guy that kept Art Monk out of the HOF for those years.

• I suppose the Bears are going to trade the top pick. I know nothing, but that seems to be the way the wind is blowing. What I say: The Bears could keep Justin Fields (and should), and trade the first pick down once or twice, and build the kind of supporting cast a team needs to contend. Suppose GM Ryan Poles traded the top pick down one spot to Washington (which would take Caleb Williams), and got the second pick, a second-round pick and a 2025 first-round pick in return. Then suppose Poles traded the second pick to Atlanta at eight, and the Falcons picked one of the other quarterbacks. In return, Chicago gets the eighth pick, Atlanta’s second-round pick, and first- and second-round picks next year. Imagine moving from 1 to 8 and ending up with this draft haul:
    • The eighth and ninth (their own) overall picks in round one this year.
    • Second-round picks from Washington and Atlanta this year.
    • Three first-round picks and two second-round picks in 2025.

For moving down seven picks in the first round, the Bears could end up with nine picks in the first two rounds of the next two drafts. Instant infrastructure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

Peter King thinks we are going to move up for Caleb and that Chicago is open for business. Peter is also retiring. Good riddance to the guy that kept Art Monk out of the HOF for those years.

• I suppose the Bears are going to trade the top pick. I know nothing, but that seems to be the way the wind is blowing. What I say: The Bears could keep Justin Fields (and should), and trade the first pick down once or twice, and build the kind of supporting cast a team needs to contend. Suppose GM Ryan Poles traded the top pick down one spot to Washington (which would take Caleb Williams), and got the second pick, a second-round pick and a 2025 first-round pick in return. Then suppose Poles traded the second pick to Atlanta at eight, and the Falcons picked one of the other quarterbacks. In return, Chicago gets the eighth pick, Atlanta’s second-round pick, and first- and second-round picks next year. Imagine moving from 1 to 8 and ending up with this draft haul:

For moving down seven picks in the first round, the Bears could end up with nine picks in the first two rounds of the next two drafts. Instant infrastructure.

Bill Belichek is going to do wonders coaching that kid.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

️Too skinny and takes too many hits. Has to protect himself better at next level

NFLThreads

If this is the main reason people have Daniels lower on their list, while I don't agree with it, I DO understand it from this fanbase after RG3. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Conn said:

Also finding him to be stiff and not very athletic is a joke. This is starting to remind me of the skill position dudes who make things look so smooth and easy that they don’t seem athletic. Maye is not Daniels obviously but he’s extremely athletic for a guy his size who isn’t expected to be a “running” QB. Arguing he’s stiff just makes you sound ignorant. It’s the opposite, he’s an athlete. 

I don't mean this sarcastically but Hoge has been so royally wrong so many times about QBs that I think whomever he rips actually has a good shot to be really good.  He might be the perfect example of riding with George's opposite instinct.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, MartinC said:

NFLThreads

Be sure to post Brian May's breakdown of Drake Maye, Billy Dee Williams on Caleb Williams and Jennie McCarthy's of JJ McCarthy. 

• Haha 4
  • Thumb up 1

Comparing Maye and Herbert (its weird to think the biggest knock on Herbert coming out of college was he didn't throw down the field enough).

He certainly did dump it off a lot but it doesn't seem that egregious compared to the short stuff.

Edited by ThatNFLChick

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Be sure to post Brian May's breakdown of Drake Maye, Billy Dee Williams on Caleb Williams and Jennie McCarthy's of JJ McCarthy. 

Listen.  Whoever Billy Dee Williams says to take I'm taking.  Lando don't miss.

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Comparing Maye and Herbert

Okay so basically, never throw it to right side between 10 and 20 yards and we're good to go, baller, break.

40 minutes ago, mistertim said:

He's a former NFL QB who bounced around teams' practice squads for a few years and who's career highlight was kneeling the ball twice in GB. Just because he was in the NFL for a little while doesn't make him a QB whisperer. As a QB scout or draftnick he's a rando. The only reason he showed up here is because he pumped up Daniels so you posted his stuff.

So he's like a less successful Tim Hasselbeck with a worse resume and lesser family.

If you don't watch the entirety of the above video, at least watch the first play and its breakdown

There is a lot involved with being a QB, and just because a throw is thrown to the first read and the the QB never comes off of him does not mean there is nothing of NFL value to draw from it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

All this trade down talk is nonsense. Teams who don’t have an established franchise QBs or very recent first round QBs don’t trade down in a draft with 3 highly rated blue chip QB prospects. They take the best QB on their board.

Never say never but I’d say there is less than a 5% chance Chicago (or we) trade down.

• Like 2