Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Chargers at Team

TK
Message added by TK,

871587837_ScreenShot2021-09-11at3_15_04PM.thumb.png.f4e1de31ee5daec0f4bc8301947a1c67.png

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

There was very little positive about this game.

Montez Sweat and Payne were the only two DL to really do much of anything. William Bradley-King or James Smith-Williams (whichever one it was... I get confused with them) had a better day than Young. 

Gibson is excellent but he is NOT a guy meant to touch the ball 25-30x/game.

McLaurin didn't get the ball enough.

Heinicke played well all things considered.

Lack of creativity from playcalling on both sides.

DeAndre Carter was solid.

Just a bad showing. 

I'd like to add that pass blocking is not good enough. Bates did not do well blocking.

30 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Pounding it was our only shot.  You really think we were going to be able to throw on that secondary with this quarterback and receiver group?  With Bosa going up against Cosmi for 35 or 40 snaps?

Our offense is garbage and our coaches are mediocre, but even a mediocre coach can see that our only chance of beating that superior opponent was on the ground.  We got shown today what an actual good QB and great WR look like.  Also got shown what good coaching looks like too.  We even got lucky with home cooking officiating and it didn't matter.  This is just a flawed team and we're going to struggle put points up and win games where our defense isn't utterly dominant.

I think a less predictable pattern on when you throw would have helped. Or at least more varied use of short passes and screens (did we even try one?) would have been better than what we put out there. 

15 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I'm sure he didnt bank on the Chargers running almost 80 plays and converting 3rd downs at will.  That'll keep your play count down.  

They ran for 126 and 4.7 a carry, that part worked out ok.   The passing game was just nonexistent really.  The gunslinger version of Fitz didn't get off the bus.  

The big play of the game was a miracle catch by Mclaurin. Otherwise, they made next to no attempt to throw past 10 yards with Fitz in, and Heinicke just isn't particularly accurate past 15-20 yards. He was airmailing throws and the ones he hit were the receiver bailing him out.

It’s a 16 game season. If you’re giving Gibson 25 touches he’ll be cooked by game 10.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

What today's game showed more than anything else is how far behind the 8 ball you are as a team if you don't have a franchise QB.

Yeah if we get anything from this game, I hope it will be to help some people move away from the delusional idea that we don't need a top franchise QB to be a top team. We supposedly have a potentially elite defense and a "fearsome" front 4 and they got completely shredded with ease by an elite QB today.

Yes you can occasionally beat an elite QB with top notch defense and pass rushing (TB vs Chiefs and Giants vs NE SBs for example) but in this day and age over the long run I'll put my money on the elite QB being able to pick apart a top defense 9 out of 10 times.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Capsman said:

He had all day to throw the ball and plenty of space to step into his throws.  Chase at #2 was a mistake, one that I acknowledge a lot of teams would have made. I’m just not convinced the scouts did a good job of analyzing how his strengths and weaknesses would translate to the NFL game. Very unpolished pass rusher who ate up mediocre  linemen in college.  He’s a good run stopper, I’ll give him that. 

There was chatter about trading down at the time, so not a far-fetched concept. 

Unreal. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Destino said:

True, but how many teams in the NFL have failed to draft a franchise QBs long as the Washington Football Team?  Here it’s not just that we missed on Herbert, it’s that we’ve missed on every QB for a generation.  He’s just the latest example.

1 hour ago, Destino said:

True, but how many teams in the NFL have failed to draft a franchise QBs long as the Washington Football Team?  Here it’s not just that we missed on Herbert, it’s that we’ve missed on every QB for a generation.  He’s just the latest example.

Many teams have missed on multiple qbs the last 30 years. Far more failures then hits.

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Gibsons fumble at our own 5 is unacceptable. And it cost us the game. The defense had allowed 13 points until then. 

Sorry but we need to stop with this stuff. We absolutely deserved to lose that game and the only reason SD didn't drop a 40 or 50 burger on us was through a combination of dumb luck, some bad ref calls, some WR drops and a couple of nice red zone plays by us.

Yes our offense was completely anemic and fumbling in that area is always a bad thing, but our defense got 100% shredded like they were a D2 college team going against an NFL team. SD converted 14 of 18 3rd downs, including a ton of 3rd and long. That's absolutely insane. Most top defenses don't give up that many 3rd downs over 3 games, let alone 1.

Let's please stop pretending like we even belonged out on that field just because the score happened to eventually be relatively close.

• Like 2

We had a 3 point lead with 12 min to go in the game and we fumbled inside our 5. You can whine about elite QBs all you want but the game today was very winnable.

Everyone here knew what we were going into the season with, you can **** all you want but it's not why we lost.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

42 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

They have no one to blame but themselves.

I can understand the sentiment.  

For me personally, given the potential culprits - A. the dline isn’t very good, B. LAC’s line is that dominant or C. a talented qb vs an unproven secondary (which enabled him to get the ball out quickly)… I’m not choosing A. 🤷‍♂️

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep Chargers pass rush was legit today.    The expectation was the Chargers O line was "meh" and our D line would feast.    But the reverse actually happened.

They got no excuses for this Thursday -- the Giants O line is legit bad. 

The tackle for the charges

completely dominated chase in college. I didn’t expect much from

him today. And the coaches should have swapped sides for him and sweat.

4 minutes ago, SamoaSkinz said:

Well, now we know where we are. Thought we were way overhyped in the offseason, especially on D. 14 first downs!! And we haven't played the worst part of the schedule yet, against better QBs. Hope this game pisses of the D and start walking the talk they been doing all offseason. 

I agree with your general sentiment but Herbert is a stud and there aren't many on the schedule better than him. Mahomes, Rodgers and Wilson, that's probably it(and I think Herbert is better than Wilson).

Edited by Warhead36

2 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

The tackle for the charges

completely dominated chase in college. I didn’t expect much from

him today. And the coaches should have swapped sides for him and sweat.

They did and he was getting shut down by some second string scrub..He played like ****

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Sorry but we need to stop with this stuff. We absolutely deserved to lose that game and the only reason SD didn't drop a 40 or 50 burger on us was through a combination of dumb luck, some bad ref calls, some WR drops and a couple of nice red zone plays by us.

Yes our offense was completely anemic and fumbling in that area is always a bad thing, but our defense got 100% shredded like they were a D2 college team going against an NFL team. SD converted 14 of 18 3rd downs, including a ton of 3rd and long. That's absolutely insane. Most top defenses don't give up that many 3rd downs over 3 games, let alone 1.

Let's please stop pretending like we even belonged out on that field just because the score happened to eventually be relatively close.

Thats all fine and dandy. The defense allowed no point in the third quarter up to that fumble. All of the momentum was in our favor after a beautiful INT from Jackson. So no. I am not gonna stop with this stuff. You fumble at your own 5 yard line you most likely lose that game. 

Edit: And by the way SD converted 8 of those 3rd downs in the 4th quarter. That fumble completely changed the game. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 2

I'm most concerned about coaching. 

1st- Heinike needs to be the starter. I can't honestly tell you if he's better or not then Fritz but I know what Fritz ceiling is.  17 years and 9 teams, we know what he is.  And I don't think at 38 he's going to be better.

Heinike, at a minimum, is just below Fritz. But none of us really know what his ceiling is and the potential is there. He should be the starter.

Defense- the coaching is what concerns me. Why was Sweat not in there at multiple key moments?  When our secondary was being torn apart and it was clear that if we gave SD time, the passes were completed, so 1st and 2nd down we brought extra players and it worked. So 3rd and 16 and we sent only 4 and dropped back 8??

Dumb call.

Also, 4th and 7 before that on SD 40 with 7 mins left, why are we punting?  Either way we had to stop San Diego, might as well go for it.

And finally, go back even more. What has Hopkins shown in the past 2 years that says a 51 years FG is makeable.  Up by 3, a miss and they are close to FG range to tie it. Make it and they are still 1 score away from taking the lead. Punt there is the right call 

The coaching was extremely questionable 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TysonM said:

If Gibson had fumbled the ball unassisted, I'd see why people would be upset.  Since it was knocked out by a defender right before he was down, which is what happens in NFL games, I'm not going to blame him for that.

Problem is that it happens so much with him..He needs to learn to take care of the ball better and stop allowing it to come away from his body.

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Thats all fine and dandy. The defense allowed no point in the third quarter up to that fumble. All of the momentum was in our favor after a beautiful INT from Jackson. So no. I am not gonna stop with this stuff. You fumble at your own 5 yard line you most likely lose that game. 

I think it’s fair to say that was the major turning point in the game.  I do wonder what could have been if Humphries hadn’t drawn that personal foul, or St Juste stopped the td pass to Williams.

Just now, TysonM said:

If Gibson had fumbled the ball unassisted, I'd see why people would be upset.  Since it was knocked out by a defender right before he was down, which is what happens in NFL games, I'm not going to blame him for that.

It was terrible timing, but **** happens.  I’ll also say that with a player like Gibson, you’re going to get the occasional duds with the fireworks.  Is what it is.

• Like 2