Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are you eating right now?

Spaceman Spiff

Still eating leftovers. My wife cooked too much. It’s delicious, but I’m going on a diet as soon as these are done. I’m about ten lbs overweight, the doc told me to cut the carbs. I’ve gained 15lbs since this summer when I had a bit of health issues. I’ll drop it quick, always do. 

The crock pot is burgundy mushrooms…delicious. Not pictured here is a smoked brisket. I overcooked it. I pulled it off at 195f but think I need to do it around 180. This is the second time this has happened. Im learning

image.jpeg.b38ae57763b88166a7eb7848339face2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I was going to use the flat iron steak for fajitas tonight, but forgot to pick up tortillas on the way home.  :(

Soooo, I managed to get it perfectly medium rare on the Foreman, smothered it with sauteed baby bellas and red onions, REDSKIN potatoes with butter, and succotash. 

• Like 2

At the Bacchanal Buffet at Ceasars. Starved myself damn near 24 hours for this. Will report back.

Almost there!

It was tremendous. I almost gave up and left cuz wait was long, but finally got a text. Insane amount of food, I didn't even get to the Asian cuisine. Had brisket, tri-tip, truffle mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, green beans, chicken wings, steamed crab, smoked gouda macaroni, and green tea cheesecake. Oh a slider too. Incredibly full.

Edited by abdcskins
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

On 11/28/2022 at 2:21 PM, Fan since a Fetus said:

Still eating leftovers. My wife cooked too much. It’s delicious, but I’m going on a diet as soon as these are done. I’m about ten lbs overweight, the doc told me to cut the carbs. I’ve gained 15lbs since this summer when I had a bit of health issues. I’ll drop it quick, always do. 

The crock pot is burgundy mushrooms…delicious. Not pictured here is a smoked brisket. I overcooked it. I pulled it off at 195f but think I need to do it around 180. This is the second time this has happened. Im learning

image.jpeg.b38ae57763b88166a7eb7848339face2.jpeg

Just now seeing this.

Everything looks great!

As far as the brisket goes, you may not have cooked it long enough.  I've had some that weren't probe tender until they hit 200° and sometimes 203° 

They also need to rest a solid hour.

Don't mean to be presumptuous here, but that's been my experience.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Just now seeing this.

Everything looks great!

As far as the brisket goes, you may not have cooked it long enough.  I've had some that weren't probe tender until they hit 200° and sometimes 203° 

They also need to rest a solid hour.

Don't mean to be presumptuous here, but that's been my experience.

I figured I’d cooked it too long because it was a very small hunk of meat (maybe 2 lbs, don’t remember) and I let it cook for around 8? hours at 225. I did let it sit for a hour and a half before touching it. But, you may be correct. The probe never felt like the meat was done when I poked it. It was never tender. This was my second one, I’ll keep giving it a go until I figure it out. 

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I figured I’d cooked it too long because it was a very small hunk of meat (maybe 2 lbs, don’t remember) and I let it cook for around 8? hours at 225. I did let it sit for a hour and a half before touching it. But, you may be correct. The probe never felt like the meat was done when I poked it. It was never tender. This was my second one, I’ll keep giving it a go until I figure it out. 

Thanks for your help!

No problem.  I'm a BBQ geek.

I learned  by trial and error. The 2 most common mistakes are not cooking to probe-tenderness and not letting it rest.  Sounds like you let it rest just fine. 

Without going full on geek about it, the collagen, (gelatin),  will start to break down, at an internal temp of ~160 and will continue to do so until ~ 180.   It's the stuff that melts and spreads through the meat. The low n slow temps help keep it there.  Taking it up to probe tender, (which can be anywhere between 190 & 205),and resting works for me. Seems like my sweet-spot for probe tender for brisket, chuckies is 195 and 190 for pork butts, but I start checking at 190...if it's not tender at 190, I'll let 'em go until they hit 200 and check again.  YMMV.

I also suggest cranking the heat up to at least 240-250 range.   225 is a good starting point, but the higher temp speeds up the cook and has no detrimental affect on the quality of the BBQ.      I also wrap brisket after it hits the stall, or gets a good bark, (if you scratch the bark, and it doesn't rub off...it's a good bark), which is usually ~160-170.   A well formed bark will not be affected by wrapping and resting. 

Low n' slow is weird.  I've cooked 15lb packer briskets faster than the last chuck roast that I smoked.   That little 3 1/2 lb ****er took every bit of 12 hours before it was done, not including resting time.   

Hope this helps!

Edited by Skinsfan1311

3 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

No problem.  I'm a BBQ geek.

I learned  by trial and error. The 2 most common mistakes are not cooking to probe-tenderness and not letting it rest.  Sounds like you let it rest just fine. 

Without going full on geek about it, the collagen, (gelatin),  will start to break down, at an internal temp of ~160 and will continue to do so until ~ 180.   It's the stuff that melts and spreads through the meat. The low n slow temps help keep it there.  Taking it up to probe tender, (which can be anywhere between 190 & 205),and resting works for me. Seems like my sweet-spot for probe tender for brisket, chuckies is 195 and 190 for pork butts, but I start checking at 190.  YMMV.

I also suggest cranking the heat up to at least 240-250 range.   225 is a good starting point, but the higher temp speeds up the cook and has no detrimental affect on the quality of the BBQ.      I also wrap brisket after it hits the stall, or gets a good bark, (if you scratch the bark, and it doesn't rub off...it's a good bark), which is usually ~160-170.   A well formed bark will not be affected by wrapping and resting. 

Low n' slow is weird.  I've cooked 15lb packer briskets faster than the last chuck roast that I smoked.   That little 3 1/2 lb ****er took every bit of 12 hours before it was done, not including resting time.   

Hope this helps!

It does thanks. I haven’t gotten a good crust on either one. Does the crust come from the smoke mostly? Trying to find that point where I can continue the smoke without lifting the lid but I don’t want so much smoke that it’s bitter. 

I do wrap at what I think is the stall. Usually around 160 or so. I’ll turn up the heat a little bit and see where I get to. 

28 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

It does thanks. I haven’t gotten a good crust on either one. Does the crust come from the smoke mostly? Trying to find that point where I can continue the smoke without lifting the lid but I don’t want so much smoke that it’s bitter. 

I do wrap at what I think is the stall. Usually around 160 or so. I’ll turn up the heat a little bit and see where I get to. 

Good call.  A little smoke goes a long way.  Avoid mesquite, or use it sparingly.  I mainly use pecan, apple and hickory.  I use 3-4 small chunks, (about twice the size of a charcoal briquette), and spread them around the coals.     I suggest shooting for 250 temp at the grate.  It'll speed up the cook and have zero affect on the quality.    

The crust formed by something called the "Maillard Reaction"  (Google it😉).   It forms when the meat is exposed to heat and oxygen.  It will form with, or without smoke.  Smoke makes it dark.   It almost looks burnt, but it's not.    You can tell that a good crust has set, is  if it passes the "scratch" test.   i.e. scrape it with your fingernail and none of the rub should come off. 

Once it's to your liking, then wrap.   I attached a few pics where the bark is perfect. 

If you think it's stalled, check out the bark and, if it's to your liking, wrap it.   A well set bark will be fine when wrapped.    The first one is a brisket, the other is that chuck roast from hell that took forever. 

Both of them were wrapped, after the bark set, and they turned out great.   I set the brisket in a large aluminum pan, and covered it tightly with heavy duty foil.    The chuck roast, I wrapped in pink butcher paper.   On the brisket, we always eat the flat and I cut off, and freeze, the point to make burnt ends later. (last pic)

Good Luck!

brisket bark.jpg

chuckie done.jpg

burnt ends.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, The 12th Commandment said:

@Skinsfan1311how would do a smallish prime rib, 3.5 pounds?  Was thinking a quick smoke then finish over direct heat but I'd listen to your sage advice.

You nailed it.

Slow smoke, (just a tiny kiss of smoke....a very small chunk, if at all, ....prime rib is very flavorful...no need to overwhelm with smoke), around 225-240, remove the roast when when the internal temp hits 110.    Remove the roast, then crank up the heat to warp 10, and sear it.   I pull it at 130.  Carryover will take it up a few degrees to medium rare.

One thing I learned, is that you should truss the roast and make it as round as possible, so it cooks evenly pink throughout...no overdone gray spots when it's trussed.

If there's a bone, I cut it off before trussing and cook it next to the roast, (if there's room), or set the roast on top of the bones that were cut off.  It promotes even cooking.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Very nice....how was the time frame?

I usually let mine run overnight at 225 and then wake up and finish it, but the smoker ran pretty hot overnight so it got done really early. 

Put it on about 11pm, bark was pretty set and was already 175 IT by 5am....I do the foil boat method and pulled it about 6:30ish am. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

That looks amazing!

Those prime packers from Costco are the only one's that I  buy anymore.

How many pounds are those Costco packers typically?  I wanted to buy a brisket today at my local Earth Fare but it was 9+ pounds.  Couldn’t see buying one that big, I could feed half the Chinese army with that much meat!  😂

9 hours ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

How many pounds are those Costco packers typically?  I wanted to buy a brisket today at my local Earth Fare but it was 9+ pounds.  Couldn’t see buying one that big, I could feed half the Chinese army with that much meat!  😂

Lol, yeah, it's tough to find small ones. This 13lb-er was the smallest one I've found at my local Costco in a few weeks. A couple months ago they had some behemoths and the SMALLEST one they had was 19 pounds. 

That's where you need to get a vac sealer and just vac seal the leftovers to make chili, brisket mac, etc. 

BTW - I'm from Missouri, but lived in WB for work during RG3's rookie year.  Loved it there - lived near Jamestown and used to bike the colonial parkway almost every day. 

Edited by LetThePointsSoar

3 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Lol, yeah, it's tough to find small ones. This 13lb-er was the smallest one I've found at my local Costco in a few weeks. A couple months ago they had some behemoths and the SMALLEST one they had was 19 pounds. 

That's where you need to get a vac sealer and just vac seal the leftovers to make chili, brisket mac, etc. 

Great idea.  I do already have a vac sealer.   What kind of smoker do you have?   Pellet?  Or electric?  Or a true wood-burning grill?