Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are you eating right now?

Spaceman Spiff

4 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Well…my daughter was just diagnosed with celiac disease so our family has gone gluten-free.  Tonight I have planned to make a shrimp dish with panko crumbs, rice and asparagus.

Are you using gluten free panko?  I've also seen my celiac relative use ground rice chex

I am trying to find the best way (if there is one) to make low carb pasta noodles. Typically I just use Dreamfields, but I was thinking about making ravioli, which means I have to make all from scratch. First try was meh.

I have had more success at cooking low carb Chinese food. Not exactly authentic, since I have to use Thai oyster sauce (less sugar), but decent results.

Low carb Mexican is easy - just use low carb tortillas (only make sure they aren't made with hydrogenated oil), and skip the chips, rice and beans. Chop tomatoes, onions, and cilantro, and presto.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

I am trying to find the best way (if there is one) to make low carb pasta noodles. Typically I just use Dreamfields, but I was thinking about making ravioli, which means I have to make all from scratch. First try was meh.

I have had more success at cooking low carb Chinese food. Not exactly authentic, since I have to use Thai oyster sauce (less sugar), but decent results.

Low carb Mexican is easy - just use low carb tortillas (only make sure they aren't made with hydrogenated oil), and skip the chips, rice and beans. Chop tomatoes, onions, and cilantro, and presto.

I don't believe in low-carb noodles.  Like you, I've used dreamfields - but I'm very skeptical of their claims.  They still have the caloric content of regular noodles.

I've been hearing great things about the hearts of palm 'noodles', particularly the expensive brands online, like Natural Heaven.  They make hearts of palm spaghetti noodles, rice, and I believe they also make lasagna 'noodles'.

Whatever you do, don't fall for the 'magic' noodles or whatever they call them, made out of mushrooms.  Both the stench and the texture are so off-putting, it's just not worth it.  I even tried to prepare them different 'proven' ways that I found online to no avail.

I am a big fan of the 1 carb tortillas by Mr. Tortilla.  Online only product.  They are street taco size, 15 calories with 1 net carb.  The whole family loves those.

• Like 2

I've been watching my macros daily for the past month and a half.  225g carbs, 44g fat, 175g protein, daily.  The results have been tremendous and it's a way of eating that's been easy to maintain.  I like that I get to eat a good amount of carbs daily...bagels, pasta, sandwiches, and I've had chicken and rice almost every night which has been awesome.  Put some sriracha or mambo sauce on it, I can't get enough chicken and rice.

Only complaint is that it's not enough fat allotted for the day.  I understand the principles of the diet but I do miss fatty ground beef and cheese.  

If anyone's got some good high carb/high protein/low fat recipes, holla.  

• Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I've been watching my macros daily for the past month and a half.  225g carbs, 44g fat, 175g protein, daily.  The results have been tremendous and it's a way of eating that's been easy to maintain.  I like that I get to eat a good amount of carbs daily...bagels, pasta, sandwiches, and I've had chicken and rice almost every night which has been awesome.  Put some sriracha or mambo sauce on it, I can't get enough chicken and rice.

Only complaint is that it's not enough fat allotted for the day.  I understand the principles of the diet but I do miss fatty ground beef and cheese.  

If anyone's got some good high carb/high protein/low fat recipes, holla.  

Ah, we’ve discovered SS started this thread just to virtue signal about his healthy eating habits. 😝

• Haha 7

21 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Ah, we’ve discovered SS started this thread just to virtue signal about his healthy eating habits. 😝

Au contraire, counselor.  Thats the thing with macros, you don't have to eat healthy.  You can eat whatever you want, as long as it fits within the framework of the diet.  Reese's peanut butter cups are fine.  

• Thumb up 2

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Au contraire, counselor.  Thats the thing with macros, you don't have to eat healthy.  You can eat whatever you want, as long as it fits within the framework of the diet.  Reese's peanut butter cups are fine.  

In that case I award you no credit and may god have mercy on your soul. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don't believe in low-carb noodles.  Like you, I've used dreamfields - but I'm very skeptical of their claims.  They still have the caloric content of regular noodles.

They don't spike my blood sugar, unlike regular noodles. I know, I have tested myself postprandial with my glucometer. I am diabetic; I am not on some keto or Adkins diet to lose weight (I am a skinny dude). I won't use any other store bought low carb noodles because they all taste like ****.  I am trying to figure out a way to make them from scratch with lupin flour and wheat gluten.

6 hours ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Well…my daughter was just diagnosed with celiac disease so our family has gone gluten-free.  Tonight I have planned to make a shrimp dish with panko crumbs, rice and asparagus.

I’m sorry that your daughter is dealing with that. I’ve been gluten free for almost five years, and the food has gotten so much better just in that short time frame.

Bob’s Red Mill was founded by a celiac so those are great grain products. Canyon Bakehouse bread makes delicious toast. Mary’s Super Seed crackers are fantastic. Snyder’s gluten free pretzel twists taste like the real thing. The sticks however are not as good.

Stick to dry rubs. Avoid marinades. I roast two pans of assorted vegetables and then grill something to go with it. This has been my go to meal and makes good leftovers.

I would like to add that just finding gluten free items of the same crap that you’ve been eating isn’t any healthier for you. I would suggest eating foods that are naturally gluten free if you want the health benefits. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1