Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Read This Before Shouting "Fire the Kicker"

Dan T.

1 minute ago, HoggLife said:

Anyone thinking we should have kept Hopkins has bumped their head. Now I think Lambo would have been a great pick up. But I'm okay literally with anyone including my 4 year old daughter over Hopkins. Only problem with this move is that it should have happened a long time ago. 

I'm failing to see how Blewitt (seriously, could you get a worse name for a kicker?) is a better immediate option than Hop.  

I get that fans might be frustrated because he missed some kicks this year but this move doesn't really move the needle at all, IMO.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, this makes total sense. Now we roll on to victory !  Big ol' weight holding everybody down. Good riddance. Everything that happens with this team seems to be the butt of some elaborate cosmic joke. Does anyone really think that the ST21 deal and now firing the kicker takes the stench of complete failure off of this team. I am so disappointed in myself for even coming back here to get the latest news on wiffed (WFT) 

What the hell happened to "culture change" that starts at the top. How bout we tell out two star DE's to STFU when they start going on about setting sack records in the pre-season. Thats the way we operate here though. 

Feel bad for Hopkins he sucked, but we have barely been in games this season so what does it really matter 

The Football Team is a cluttered house. Everything is in disarray. When you see a broken glass lying on the floor, do you say "meh, the whole house is in shoddy shape, I won't bother"?

You can sit and pout and cry about how everything is so bad, or you can take that first step to fixing it. Firing the kicker who forces the team to go for it on 4th down because they don't trust him is the team's first step. It doesn't stop there, it should start there.

• Like 3

Feels like another Dan move...

There wasn't any point to release him right now as he was far from the worst kicker in the league and this will create more of a question mark than solve any problems, as I expect Blewitt, to well... you get it.

Looks like Dan telegraphed the move to Jason and Ron and they went "yessir".

Still, Landon Collins, WJ3, Bostic haven't yet released while being huge liabilities on the field.

And for those still thinking that Hopkins has been sucking for years with this team, you can go back to page 8 of this thread as the guy sure lost us 3 games since 2018 but won us 8 in the meantime (including our whole 3 wins in 2019).

As others said, we'll probably see him on another team soon enough and he'll kick our butts.

• Like 1

I think he's easily the best of the kickers we cut, when we cut them. Most of the kicker's we've cut over the years that went on to have success weren't good when they were here.  People always bring up guys like Gano, leaving out that he was a 74% kicker when he was here.  Folks wanted him gone.

• Thumb up 1

I get that it feels like dad is taking his bad day out on the dog, when the wife and kids are really the ones making his life hell.  But Hops is so iffy that we're going for it on 4th and 10 vs. attempt a FG over 50 yards.  This had to happen.

I don't have #'s on this but I gather that when a team moves on from a kicker they've had for for a while, the replacement doesn't normally cement himself as the next guy for years to come.  Most likely we are going to kiss several frogs before we find our prince.  What's more Washington than that?

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

51 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Feels like another Dan move...

Replacing the kicker with one that hasn't played since 2016? Nah, replacing him with a name, thats a Dan move.

Jus because Hopkins could improve like many former kickers we've had, doesn't mean he will.  I'm not feeling who they replaced him with, but replacing him had be done.

• Like 1