Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: 2021 SUPERBOWL - RAMS VS. BENGALS!!!

zCommander

23 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Another OT proposal I heard that's kind of intriguing...

Soccer style overtime shootout -  but with two point conversions.  Each team gets five attempts at two point conversions, alternating.  

This is the second dumbest thing I've read on the internet in 2022.

Unless you're proposing this is how the playoff OT functions.

If so then it would be the #1 dumbest thing.

16 minutes ago, purbeast said:

This is the second dumbest thing I've read on the internet in 2022.

Unless you're proposing this is how the playoff OT functions.

If so then it would be the #1 dumbest thing.

You should read some of your own posts.  Hoo boy.

• Haha 3

Alternating 2 pt conversions is pretty much what college is now, once you get past each team's second OT possession from the 25. I think Penn St and Illinois played a game this season where they failed to convert on a combined 10 attempts at one point.

I don't think I'd like that though. To me,, each possession would have to start from the 25, and I guess at some point you'd have to go for 2. But I can see it coming within the next decade in the pros.

Edited by hail2skins

Two point conversions are not exactly a fair representation of what football is about. A team that's built on speed and has a great deep threat that constantly pressures defenses in the back end (like a Tyreek Hill or a DeSean Jackson -- that type of guy) suddenly becomes neutered if they're running plays from the two yard line. The defense only has twelve yards of field to defend rather than sixty. An overtime scheme based on that is far from ideal.

Likewise, a scheme where if one team scores a touchdown and the other team gets the chance to match is unfair in the sense that the second team has a huge advantage built in. The first team, at least in the first couple sets of downs, was in a position where they really had three plays to get ten yards. On fourth and long, they're punting. But if you've already surrendered a touchdown and have to score one of your own to prolong the game, you're in a position where you know in advance that you've got four downs every time. That's pretty significant, and I think is one of the reasons that teams often do score late in games when they're trailing. In effect, they have an extra down to work with.

9 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

The OT rule should be if Team A scores a TD after starting kickoff, then Team B should have a chance for a TD. After that then the whoever scores first rule can kick in. It just evens out the playing field for both O and D.

This. I’d even add a twist. If you score a TD; you have to go for 2.

• Like 1

This whole overtime conversation is just a natural extension of the conscious erosion of defense as a respected part of the game over the last 25 years. The idea that both teams deserve a chance to score is silly if you consider that the defense is part of your team; it's one of your assets that you use to win the game, not just to fill space when the other offense is on the field. But the last decade especially have taught us that every single game is supposed to end in nail biting shoot outs, and shoot outs require both teams to shoot. 

• zCommander changed the title to Game Day Thread: 2021 CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP!
12 hours ago, Vilandil Tasardur said:

This whole overtime conversation is just a natural extension of the conscious erosion of defense as a respected part of the game over the last 25 years. The idea that both teams deserve a chance to score is silly if you consider that the defense is part of your team; it's one of your assets that you use to win the game, not just to fill space when the other offense is on the field. But the last decade especially have taught us that every single game is supposed to end in nail biting shoot outs, and shoot outs require both teams to shoot. 

That's my argument as well.

You can't institute all these rule changes favoring the offense, brand the league as an offensive league starring the QBs, and then not give both QBs a chance to win the game. And its made even worse when the losing QB is Josh Allen who's a top 5 QB and going to be a face of the league for the next decade.

On 1/24/2022 at 8:30 PM, tshile said:

On a different note. 

You can watch regular season and realize other QB’s aren’t these guys. 

But holy hell when you’ve got almost all of them playing each other in a 4 game weekend 😂 

it’s like we play a different game than them 

The Chiefs' and Bills' offenses are playing a different game.  The Chiefs' and the Bills' defenses looked like Washington's defense the first third of the season.  I know I'm in the minority, but I'd love to see the Bengals and 49ers in the Super Bowl.

Edited by cakmoney61
Added a sentence.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Vilandil Tasardur said:

Yes, you should have to win with defense. That's why you should be able to win without your defense taking the field. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 11:25 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

I say we use OT to make the role of kicker even more important.  Each team’s kicker starts at the 40 yard line.  Each one kicks from that distance and if both make it, they move back 5 yards.  Keep going until one misses it.    

image.gif.2f6ddba2e314a076b7872bdf8e5de6f7.gif

I’d be fine if they removed kicking from the game completely. It doesn’t need to be more important 

5 hours ago, zskins said:

Let's just make the OT hockey style. Best of 3 from the 10 yard line. Whoever can convert 2 out of 3 for a TD. If both teams fail then it is sudden death starting from the 50 yard line and whoever scores 3 or 6 first...lol

this sounds confusing and dumb which makes sense because hockey is both confusing and dumb 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/29/2022 at 12:19 AM, Renegade7 said:

As much as I find the Rams style of team building full of ****, 49ers versus anyone will be a boring ass superbowl.

I'm totally rooting for Bengals to win the whole thing, anyway.

i kind of like what it would mean if the Rams win with this complete lack of disregard for draft picks and just assembling too heavy elite talent. Could shake things up in the league with a few teams following 

——-

Wish the bengals had an alternate white helmet with black stripes to match their all white unis. Would look sick

Regardless, they have fantastic unis. Always like the orange and black with the stripes on the helmet and uni 

Going for Chiefs and Rams. 

im a Mahomes guy so hoping he wins it all again but if the Rams get it, I’d be ok with that too. Lots of those guys deserve one 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man