Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

That average value of $18M would make him the 5th highest paid interior defensive lineman behind Aaron Donald, Leonard Williams, DeForest Buckner, and Chris Jones.

If you include edge rushers, only Joey Bosa, Myles Garret, Khalil Mack, Demarcus Lawrence, Frank Clark, and Von Miller make more.

It's a lot of money but also a statement signing.  I dont think hes worth quite that much on the field but it needed to be done.  Young, productive, team captain retained.  Smart move to lock him up.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

That average value of $18M would make him the 5th highest paid interior defensive lineman behind Aaron Donald, Leonard Williams, DeForest Buckner, and Chris Jones.

If you include edge rushers, only Joey Bosa, Myles Garret, Khalil Mack, Demarcus Lawrence, Frank Clark, and Von Miller make more.

It's a lot of money but also a statement signing.  I dont think hes worth quite that much on the field but it needed to be done.  Young, productive, team captain retained.  Smart move to lock him up.

I don't think so either.  But with the cap going up in 2023 (or is it 2022?), the next few IDL contracts should be heftier.  Just checked out the potential IDL free agent class in 2022, it does not look good.  He plays the most snaps by far for anyone under 30.  Lots of solid/good free agents who are around 30 years old.  But Jon Allen at 27 for 2022 free agency would have been noticeably younger and sought after.

2023 IDL free agency group looks legit though.

Proof that if a player wants to be here, we will get the deal done.  Also proof that if we extend your rookie deal, it’s because we like you and we gotta make the $ work.  Last, but not least, this is a steal of a deal that will give us financial room for the next guy.  Loooooooove this.  
BTW…this also came out of nowhere really.  Kudos to both camps for handling it like pros.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

Proof that if a player wants to be here, we will get the deal done.  Also proof that if we extend your rookie deal, it’s because we like you and we gotta make the $ work.  Last, but not least, this is a steal of a deal that will give us financial room for the next guy.  Loooooooove this.  
BTW…this also came out of nowhere really.  Kudos to both camps for handling it like pros.  

You just gotta resign guys early. Truth be told we should have resigned Allen last year where it might have been cheaper but I can understand Rivera wanting to wait a year to see how he fit in his program.

What you don't want to do is start franchise tagging guys. At that point bitterness becomes an issue and the player has no reason to sign a deal because they can just keep taking tags(which pays the average of the top 5 salaries of your position)before eventually hitting FA and getting paid anyway.

If we were smart we'd look into resigning Payne now too but most likely his camp will want to wait for him to put up a breakout year first before signing a new deal.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

LOVE THIS

rivera finding his guys and locking them up long term. 

Wow.  That's so big.  Now the development of Bates/Reyes isn't a desperation thing.  TE group went from uncertain, to a good spot.  Quality starter with two developmental pieces for a few years, means resources can go elsewhere.  Don't need to chase TE's in the draft.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Wow.  That's so big.  Now the development of Bates/Reyes isn't a desperation thing.  TE group went from uncertain, to a good spot.  Quality starter with two developmental pieces for a few years, means resources can go elsewhere.  Don't need to chase TE's in the draft.

Oline, QB, CB, FS, LB

Also allows us to be aggressive with draft capital to move up for a QB.

• Like 2

His position coach Pete Hoener, pointing out Thomas' improvement as a blocker, has called him one of the top "six or seven" all-around tight ends in the game.

That's quite a change for a guy who played quarterback at Virginia Tech. Arizona drafted him in the fourth round in 2014 to play quarterback, but he lasted one season. After stops with the Miami Dolphins and the New York Giants, Thomas converted to tight end in 2016 with Detroit. He signed with Washington in the 2020 offseason.

Washington signed defensive tackle Jonathan Allen to a four-year extension on Monday. The organization had targeted both Allen and Thomas as players it wanted to extend before the season.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Do we have any of our core guys up next year? 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Only Tim Settle I believe. Most likely he's gone since he'll get paid to be a starter somewhere else.

This is every FA for next year.  Certainly a few that would be nice to retain.  Clearly Allen and Thomas haven't been updated yet.

image.png.6a727529b4b6484f7666724bcfa110da.png

image.png.51bac4c3dce8f679ffa637d850ae7171.png

Edited by jsharrin55
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Oline, QB, CB, FS, LB

Also allows us to be aggressive with draft capital to move up for a QB.

Going to be interesting to see how St Juste and Hudson develop.  If they pan out, it takes some pressure off in terms of the (short term) future of those two units.  IIRC, Fuller and Holcomb are both in the fold through next year, but you’re right that we need to start succession planning there.

Not quite related, but I’m intrigued that we have 3 or 4 viable FS candidates - McCain, Reaves, Fuller and Everett, and multiple possibilities at slot corner as well - Moreland, Fuller, McCain and even Curl/Davis.  

35 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I think McK n Barber will be up, so we will either need to resign or totally rework our RB room.

Patterson working out for us would be big.  McKissick’s role is, IMO, pretty easily replaced by Curtis Samuel, and if Patterson can make the 53, I could see him having success in short yardage.  I think he’s got the vision and small size to squeeze through gaps, along with surprising power to finish… we’ll see.  One way or another though, you’re right that we’ll need to add or re-sign at least one rb next year.

On 6/29/2021 at 2:37 PM, SkinsFootball said:

@Skinsinparadise Our cap situation certainly looks healthy. I was going to respond with further evidence of retaining our own; but what I found was 2023 is the big year for our roster. Not 2022. The only projected big money extensions are Logan Thomas and Jonathan Allen. I didn't want to screenshot the entire list but Tim Settle is down there too. 

image.thumb.png.caed5e0ca353ee30e40d062dea83b4cf.png

Here is 2023:

image.thumb.png.fa2a22a162914bc44c7a2932c6e6f9eb.png

How much will we need to resign this crop? Looks as if we can roll quite a bit of cap over from 2022.

@Koolblue13 Bump. For reference.

• Like 3