Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

We have a solid squad. And we now have a qb… even if he’s just top 20 that’s miles ahead of what we’ve had for years. And if he plays like he did last year combined with our defense then we should certainly be a double digit win team.

that being said, we still have holes and we still have question marks. Comparing our schedule to those of our division foes, I don’t see how we could be considered a favorite to win the NFCE. I see six borderline auto-losses and that doesn’t include our divisional opponents; we’re obviously not sweeping. It’s going to be a tough road.

I can’t wait to see this team play, but I’m not quite as optimistic as others. 

58 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I can’t wait to see this team play, but I’m not quite as optimistic as others. 

Yeah, I hate all the press we're getting. It seems to ignore a lot of questions. We won the division by default last year. Dallas' defense is still going to blow, but their offense should score. We never best the Giants, somehow. Jones is **** against every one else, but us. The Eagles will blow again. While we potentially have depth on the OL, we still are putting a lot of weight on unprovens like Cosimi. Will Fitzpatrick regress? Will Turner's planning and game calling improve? I'm very interested to see what happens in camp, but I generally hate and preseason press we get. After all, it's been 17 years since we had a repeat division champ.

2 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

I'm fully vaccinated and support getting it, but I understand people's hesitancy around getting it. I would bet if it happens, and guys lose a paycheck, there will be a lawsuit filed by the NFLPA faster than you can say vaccine.  And I would think the NFL would lose the case given that it's an emergency vaccine and not subject to the same scrutiny as other vaccines are when they are developed, so it cannot be forced or required.

And if this was just about protecting yourself like a seat belt. Fine. But it's not. It's about being a spreader of a virus. If anyone is uncomfortable taking a vaccine. That is their right. It sucks what it will do to teams and fans if things go poorly. Wish they'd just opt out for a year over risking others. 

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Yeah, I hate all the press we're getting. It seems to ignore a lot of questions. We won the division by default last year. Dallas' defense is still going to blow, but their offense should score. We never best the Giants, somehow. Jones is **** against every one else, but us. The Eagles will blow again. While we potentially have depth on the OL, we still are putting a lot of weight on unprovens like Cosimi. Will Fitzpatrick regress? Will Turner's planning and game calling improve? I'm very interested to see what happens in camp, but I generally hate and preseason press we get. After all, it's been 17 years since we had a repeat division champ.

Don't forget the curse of Dan Snyder.  He has never had a team make playoffs in consecutive years.  I don't expect that to change with Ron.

We only the division, just like in 2015; because the rest of the division collasped.    We are pinning our hopes on a journeyman QB on his 9th team. A streaky QB who has stretches where he plays lights out but then reverts to stretches where he stinks up the joint.  His backup, has very little experience and his brittle. Just because he looked good for a game and 1/2 doesn't mean he's going to be the next Kurt Warner.  Then we have that killer schedule.  Also, while our defense has potential to be great; we have to see them prove it first.  Tampa rolled up the yards on us.  Alot of of good ranking for 2020 was from playing weak opponents for the most part.  Let's see how the defense fares against the tough schedule first.   Also, if we don't have a majority of our players vaccinated; that could impact us, if there's an outbreak.

We will better than last year but that doesn't necessarily mean it will show up in the record.  

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Don't forget the curse of Dan Snyder.  He has never had a team make playoffs in consecutive years.  I don't expect that to change with Ron.

We only the division, just like in 2015; because the rest of the division collasped.    We are pinning our hopes on a journeyman QB on his 9th team. A streaky QB who has stretches where he plays lights out but then reverts to stretches where he stinks up the joint.  His backup, has very little experience and his brittle. Just because he looked good for a game and 1/2 doesn't mean he's going to be the next Kurt Warner.  Then we have that killer schedule.  Also, while our defense has potential to be great; we have to see them prove it first.  Tampa rolled up the yards on us.  Alot of of good ranking for 2020 was from playing weak opponents for the most part.  Let's see how the defense fares against the tough schedule first.   Also, if we don't have a majority of our players vaccinated; that could impact us, if there's an outbreak.

We will better than last year but that doesn't necessarily mean it will show up in the record.  

What about the curse of the NFC East?  No division winners have ever repeated winning the division since 2004 (or so).

8 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The defense proved it in Week 13 against the then undefeated steelers by stopping them 6 times in their redzone. The D is top 5, the offense just needs to put points on the board.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

The defense proved it in Week 13 against the then undefeated steelers by stopping them 6 times in their redzone. The D is top 5, the offense just needs to put points on the board.

Pittsburgh was a perfect opponent though.  They had zero run game, and they loved passing short in lieu of the run.

NO. 7: WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

Offense
  • The offensive line is the only thing saving this offense from being a below-average unit in all four of our categories. Even then, the Football Team’s status as PFF’s No. 3 pass-blocking offensive line is probably more due to Alex Smith’s tendency to get rid of the ball as quick as humanly possible: His average of 2.38 seconds from snap to pass is the eighth-fastest mark among all QBs with at least 200 dropbacks. 
  • Only the Jets and Eagles had a worse overall passing offense rank than the Football Team. Their main issue all season has been creating big plays through the air; they join the 2018 Jaguars as the only offenses to post an explosive pass-play rate under 11% over the past three seasons.
Defense
  • Only the Rams and Steelers posted a better EPA per pass play than the Football Team; this secondary and pass rush are legit. The latter group in particular is full of monsters, as each of Chase Young (No. 11), Jonathan Allen (No. 18) and Montez Sweat (No. 21) rank highly among 115 full-time interior and edge defenders this season.
  • The one issue facing this defense has been their ability to truly shut down opposing rushing attacks; their 12.8% explosive run-play rate against ranks just 27th in 2020. This is made more concerning by the reality that they’ve faced run plays with at least eight defenders in the box at the league’s sixth-highest rate. Most of the Football Team’s success on defense comes from their front-seven’s ability to dominate opposing offensive lines; watch out if they meet an opponent with an o-line good enough to at least make things tougher than usual.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-who-is-the-most-complete-2020-nfl-playoff-team

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Well that last line reg. our D summed up our playoff game perfectly. We went up against a great OL and got stonewalled, who also happened to have the GOAT at QB behind them.

Lol yeah when you put it that way it was probably a great learning experience for our defense, who probably started believing a few of the great things sports talk had begun saying about our defense. 

They are going to be hardcore this season, much less mistakes 

9 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

What about the curse of the NFC East?  No division winners have ever repeated winning the division since 2004 (or so).

Yeah, but you can make playoffs as a wild card. Dan's curse is bigger than the Nfc East not having repeat champs since 2004.

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Allen is the better player though.

As a pass-rusher, and currently, yes.  But Payne's athleticism and youth, plus his superior run defense, along with his potential as a pass rusher, would lead me to choose him over Allen.  Not to mention he will likely command less than Allen due to his position.

49 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Allen is the better player though.

Agree.  I think Mark Bullock took it too far and put Jonathan Allen in the elite cateory as a player.  But I agree with him that Allen > Payne.  And Allen IMO is a great player but not elite IMO. 

Payne IMO is a better run stopper but they are pretty similar albeit Payne has the better build to play nose/2 gap.  Allen though is a very good pass rusher.  Payne IMO is average as a pass rusher.  PFF isn't the be all and end all but they don't even rate him among the top 100 tackles as for pass rusher. 

I get the narrative that he plays a lot of two gap so he doesn't amass pass rush stats.  But PFF factors that.  Vea for example also plays nose.  He doesn't rush much.  Yet they ranked him #3 in pass rush rankings.  But for me the bigger deal as for Payne is I watched him plenty up close in one season on coaches film and posted many of those clips on different threads.  He played plenty of 3 technique that season, 1 gap. He was impressive as a run stopper in every context.  But a pass rusher IMO nothing special.  I think the idea that Payne is this big time pass rusher if they let him free IMO is mostly based on potential because according to what I saw and PFF clearly too -- he's not that disruptive as a pass rusher.  He's OK at it though IMO, and certainly has moments but not a consistent force.  Allen IMO is a much more consistent pass rusher who is disruptive. 

Having said that while I will still stand by we blew it by not taking Derwin James, I like Payne as a player.   He's a really good run stopper who can 2 gap well and give some occasional pass rush help and that is plenty enough for me.  But DTs whose niche is run stopping but not so much pass rushing aren't the premium right now at that spot.  It's the pass rushers like Allen.  And Allen can stop the run, too. 

I'd add on the intabgibles front, Allen seems like a culture builder.  Payne is never mentioned on that front.    As for whether Payne is driven to be great or not, tough to say.  He's mostly a mystery.  On the rare occasion he does them, he sounds good in an interview.  But I never read one thing or another about him -- no stories about Payne (ala Chase Young) being obsessed with his craft or for that matter that he isn't.  So he's mostly a mystery to me as far as intangibles.    He's not a dude that clearly likes doing interviews.   We hear a lot more from Allen. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 12.43.25 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Allen is going to get a huge deal, regardless if it's with us or not. I really want to keep all of those guys together for a few more years.

I think this team has a 3 or 4 year window opening up that will allow us to save on QB, CB and LBer due to the draft. I also think the cap ceiling is going to blow up.

Allen is a leader for the culture change and Ron can't keep losing core players.