Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

24 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I don't think we're keeping 7.  I'm guessing all of them, plus Harmon and Gandy-Golden, are competing for 1 spot.

McLaurin, Samuel, Cam Sims, and Brown should be the only locks. I don't think Humphries should be considered a lock, so I'm hoping they're fighting for two spots. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

McLaurin, Samuel, Cam Sims, and Brown should be the only locks. I don't think Humphries should be considered a lock, so I'm hoping they're fighting for two spots. 

I wouldn’t call Humphries or Sims locks, but they are both very likely. 

Would not surprise me at all if they kept 7 though, given the depth at the position and the fact that one will almost certainly be the primary return man. It’s been done before. 

Say you want 25 offense / 25 defense / 3 ST

3 QB

3 RB

3 TE

7 WR

9 OL

Seems very reasonable to me. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, terpfan said:

Yup, and their contracts don't suggest "lock" either.  But Humphries has a rapport with the presumptive starting QB, a proven track record with him, a good 1st day at training camp, and clearly runs some short routes well against our defense.

5 minutes ago, terpfan said:

Would not surprise me at all if they kept 7 though, given the depth at the position and the fact that one will almost certainly be the primary return man. It’s been done before. 

3 QB

3 RB

3 TE

7 WR

9 OL

Whose the 3rd RB, Jaret Patterson or Peyton Barber?  If we want to keep 4 RB's, that slot has to come out of the WR group.  I don't think any team wants to go into a season with only 8 OL.

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

St-Juste sounds like he’s going to make a major impact to me. Can’t wait to see how he goes.

I hope so too.  I think he has the potential.  But my thing is, he’s never caught an interception.  Once he grabs a couple, I won’t be nervous anymore.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, terpfan said:

3 QB

3 RB

3 TE

7 WR

9 OL

I definitely think we have 7, maybe 8 WRs that are worthy of being on an NFL roster, it's probably one of our deepest positions. Sims is definitely more of a lock than Humphries, this staff was really gushing over Cam Sims and the work he's put in, they definitely like him a lot. 

My neighbor that just moved in, is a direct 1st cousin of one of our (recently former) players, that I had a HUGE man-crush on, a couple years ago.

Had such a crush on him, that I was "crushed" when we cut him.

Elijah Wellman.

He probably wasn't helped by the fact that we, and most other teams seem to be dwindling the use of a FB.

But my neighbor said he was as tough an strong as an Ox. AND, he still works out, and is ready for that next phone call from an NFL team.

So, Coach Rivera, since I know you intently attend to my every post, please be advised that Elijah is still as tough as ever, and has been faithfully staying in shape, and is just a phone call away.

He could also probably convert to LB successfully, if desired.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Sims is definitely more of a lock than Humphries, this staff was really gushing over Cam Sims and the work he's put in, they definitely like him a lot. 

I like Cam Sims too but Humphries is playing a different position than Sims.  Curtis Samuels can play the slot very well but what happens if he's on PUP during the regular season instead of right now?  Which of the other WRs would you have fill in at slot in that case?  Or, who fills in at slot if you have Samuels in another WR position on certain plays?  

18 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I’d guess, due to how much they want to feature him and how much he’s being paid, that they’re just being super cautious with Samuel 

The healing time for speed athletes is longer than the normal 4-6 week window.

Expectations should be 8-10 weeks in a pre-season scenario for Samuels.  He's still in that window. Absolutely no reason to even test him right now.

Soft tissue injuries happen every year and since Samuels already knows this offense, it's basically a non-issue IMO.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Whose the 3rd RB, Jaret Patterson or Peyton Barber?  If we want to keep 4 RB's, that slot has to come out of the WR group.  I don't think any team wants to go into a season with only 8 OL.

I know Jaret Patterson is classic camp crush material but I wouldn’t pencil him onto the roster at this point. I think if he wants to make it he’ll have to either beat out Barber or become a standout on teams. 

That said, I agree, I think if that 25th spot on offense isn’t a WR, a 4th RB is a possibility. Could also potentially see a 4th TE if they want to sneak Reyes onto the roster but don’t think he’s actually ready for game time. 

Edited by terpfan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

I like Cam Sims too but Humphries is playing a different position than Sims.  Curtis Samuels can play the slot very well but what happens if he's on PUP during the regular season instead of right now?  Which of the other WRs would you have fill in at slot in that case?  Or, who fills in at slot if you have Samuels in another WR position on certain plays?  

If Curtis is still on the PUP when the season starts Humphries is a lock I'd say. When cut-down day comes, they're all going to be slotted as WRs. Honestly, I see McLaurin as the 1, Cam Sims as the 2 (with Dyami Brown potentially becoming the 2 later in the season), and Samuel in the slot. Sims and McLaurin are the two WRs leading every drill in our training camp and it was the same way in mini camp. After our 4th WR there's a bit of a gap IMO, leaving potential for some competition for the last 2 spots. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

St-Juste sounds like he’s going to make a major impact to me. Can’t wait to see how he goes.

Even if he just plays "pretty well" enough that it allows us to move Fuller to slot CB in nickel it will be enough to make our coverge very strong. Not that Fuller is bad on the outside but he is one of the best slot CBs in this league and it is such an under appreciated position. 

The Slot corner and/or Nickelback is way more important than whoever the 3rd linebacker is these days. I really think Nickel is the "base" formation these days. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Ben st j comp to peanut?...I like that!..im gettin giddy folks thanks to all those putting in the hard work to keep me updated..

I echo that.  I post these type of tweets whenever I can but I've traveling, just got to Richmond.  So I'll catch some practices but I'll likely post what I see later that day versus on the fly during practice. 

• Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I echo that.  I post these type of tweets whenever I can but I've traveling, just got to Richmond.  So I'll catch some practices but I'll likely post what I see later that day versus on the fly during practice. 

I'm traveling tomorrow night, so I'd really appreciate a heavy dose. Thank you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm traveling tomorrow night, so I'd really appreciate a heavy dose. Thank you.

lol, I'll give it my best shot.  I don't know how reporters can keep typing and tweeting stuff on the fly while watching practice without missing a ton of action that way.  So I just take notes and digest what I saw and type it up later in the day when I got time to decompress.  It seemed to work well for me 2 years ago when I did it that way so I'll try that again.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

lol, I'll give it my best shot.  I don't know how reporters can keep typing and tweeting stuff on the fly while watching practice without missing a ton of action that way.  So I just take notes and digest what I saw and type it up later in the day when I got time to decompress.  It seemed to work well for me 2 years ago when I did it that way so I'll try that again.  

I appreciate the hell out of you. You make this board great. Thank you.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bantu said:

Underrated battle in terms of importance. Haven't had significant contributions from PR's in a long time.

I agree and was a fan of Steven Sims initially but now I cringe at the thought of him ever returning punts for us in a game and also don't trust his hands as a WR.  

If you skip to 35:11 on the BMitch & Finlay link they discussed the return game today. At 40:00 BMitch provides a hilarious but fair description of what Steven Sims does wrong as a returner. 

Edited by SkinsFootball
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From the Athletic, I noticed Rhiannon was doing play-by-play, and Standig wasn't.  So I'm assuming that was the arrangement between them.

I don't think I knew all of the local NBC people, cause both the accounts weren't really doing PBP.  Keim is alone at ESPN so he wasn't really either.  The WFT twitter/media guy does PBP, which is pretty nice.  And so far it didn't seem overly slanted/biased as other beatwriters were mentioning similar things.

• Like 2