Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

35 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

From the Athletic, I noticed Rhiannon was doing play-by-play, and Standig wasn't.  So I'm assuming that was the arrangement between them.

I don't think I knew all of the local NBC people, cause both the accounts weren't really doing PBP.  Keim is alone at ESPN so he wasn't really either.  The WFT twitter/media guy does PBP, which is pretty nice.  And so far it didn't seem overly slanted/biased as other beatwriters were mentioning similar things.

This will be the third camp, I'll attend.  I like Standig and Keim a lot.  I think both do a great job including covering camp where they try not to get carried away and they keep things in stride. I am listening to Keim's podcast from today as I type this.

For me at camp, there are typically some things I try to encode.  QB arm velocity and accuracy.  You can really see it well typically because they have them throw back to back -- throw after throw, etc.  I recall for example seeing Haskins accuracy struggles pretty easily.  I recall the WP saying before that camp that Colt's arm strength improved tremendously.  I could easily see that's BS.  You can see what routes the coordinators were stressing.   What plays do you see repeatedly.  When Chris Thompson had a monster year in the passing game -- that camp that season which I was at you could see that coming.  

You typically get a good look at the QBs and WRs.  I tend to watch them the most.  It's hard to watch everyone because most of the practices are seperate groupings so you got to pick your spot.  Hard to see for example much when the D Line practices aside from hearing who the coaches praise or give a hard time.  But that spot visually is hard to catch because they usually are out of view from the fan section.  But the QBs and WRS/CBs are usually right in your face and hard to miss. 

I recall there was some fan hype on Anthony Lanier years back.  But that camp the coaches were really riding him and you can see they weren't happy with him.  Jay one camp was just riding Sudfeld nonstop.  That was the same year they tried to sneak him on the practice squad and Sudfeld decided to go to Philly instead.

Some of the stuff you see ends up relevant, some of it not.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, terpfan said:

I wouldn’t call Humphries or Sims locks, but they are both very likely. 

Would not surprise me at all if they kept 7 though, given the depth at the position and the fact that one will almost certainly be the primary return man. It’s been done before. 

Say you want 25 offense / 25 defense / 3 ST

3 QB

3 RB

3 TE

7 WR

9 OL

Seems very reasonable to me. 

We are not keeping 3 rbs! We will only keep 6 wideouts not 7. 

Not as good as Skinsinparadise at catching the nuances while watching TC but here are the 3 things that stuck out to me over the years:

1. Junior Galette had the most explosive 1st step from a 3 point stance I've ever seen. Incredible. He was in shorts & t-shirt but lined up in the OL/DL drills for every snap. Unreal speed.

2 I was 10 feet behind Sleepy Davis & Jordan Reed during Reed's rookie season watching them run routes. Reed was head & shoulders bigger than Sleepy & ran like a gazelle. Incredible stride & soft hands. You could see watching him he had 'it'. 

3. Haskins was trash. I couldn't believe how bad his mechanics were. Bad feet, bad throwing motion. And I know **** about how to throw a football. I knew he wasn't ready.  

• Like 3

One of the things I'm watching closely in pre-season is Steve Sims Jr.....If we end up cutting him I fear that the Eagles or Giants, even Dallas will sign him and he will produce big time for them. I think he has tremendous talent if he can get over the drops.....I'll go as far to say that if he makes the team we will have one of the best WR units in the entire league. Sims can hurt teams if he can manage to catch the ball consistently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I recall the WP saying before that camp that Colt's arm strength improved tremendously.  I could easily see that's BS. 

Not directed at you, just an observation over the years.  Arm strength never improves.  Ever.  What they show in college is what you get.

QB's can do things to improve some deep ball shots, help with the wind up, core, leg drive, etc.  But that's full body and not arm strength.  Bombs aren't arm, it's everything.  I feel like a lot of beatwriters don't get the difference.  Mahomes/Rodgers/Stafford/Allen can put the ball anywhere at any angle on any throwing platform.  Jackson/Brady/Brees/Rivers/McCoy/Jones can not (or couldn't).

39 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

One of the things I'm watching closely in pre-season is Steve Sims Jr.....If we end up cutting him I fear that the Eagles or Giants, even Dallas will sign him and he will produce big time for them. I think he has tremendous talent if he can get over the drops.....I'll go as far to say that if he makes the team we will have one of the best WR units in the entire league. Sims can hurt teams if he can manage to catch the ball consistently.

You're massively overrating Sims Jr. even if his hands got really good, but even setting that aside, he wouldn’t crack the top 4-5 WR’s on the Cowboys or Giants. Maybe the Eagles but they’ve had enough problems with drops not to take that risk. 

And if someone makes the team here over Sims Jr., that means they’re looking even better than he was so by your logic our WR corps would be even better than you think! lol

Edited by ConnSKINS26

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I was on that same bandwagon last offseason, but his separation ability never seemed to improve, it remained "ok".  After more thought I've changed my stance and think he can develop into a Jamison Crowder type, but that's his ceiling.  And he, as of last season, did not have Crowder's moves while running routes.

I am not losing any sleep over him walking for elsewhere.  I'd like to see what Humphries, Milne, and Carter can do.  And on the chance that Brown/Cam takes off, then that means Curtis Samuel is mostly in the slot.

I think Steve Sims could be a solid slot, but is ultimately replaceable.

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You're massively overrating Sims Jr. even if his hands got really good, but even setting that aside, he wouldn’t crack the top 4-5 WR’s on the Cowboys or Giants. Maybe the Eagles but they’ve had enough problems with drops not to take that risk. 

And if someone makes the team here over Sims Jr., that means they’re looking even better than he was so by your logic our WR crops would be even better than you think! lol

You're probably right just based on the Samuel signing alone....However, I'm in the camp that players can improve after horrible seasons, and the guys with speed and quickness are even more dangerous. Nelson Agholar comes to mind...he was terrible in Philly but figured it out and overcame the drops. 

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

And if someone makes the team here over Sims Jr., that means they’re looking even better than he was so by your logic our WR crops would be even better than you think! lol

You're right, he couldn't.

Eagles 2020 1st rounder is now a slot only receiver, according to the new coaching staff.

Cowboys 2020 1st rounder was drafted to be slot only, but could maybe become an outside guy.

Giants 2021 1st rounder is, imo, slot only.  They also have Sterling Sharpe and Evan Engram who are both basically slot only.

There's no playing time for Steve Sims within the division.

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I was on that same bandwagon last offseason, but his separation ability never seemed to improve, it remained "ok".  After more thought I've changed my stance and think he can develop into a Jamison Crowder type, but that's his ceiling.  And he, as of last season, did not have Crowder's moves while running routes.

I am not losing any sleep over him walking for elsewhere.  I'd like to see what Humphries, Milne, and Carter can do.  And on the chance that Brown/Cam takes off, then that means Curtis Samuel is mostly in the slot.

I think Steve Sims could be a solid slot, but is ultimately replaceable.

Lets see if he steps up and gets it done this summer...I do hope we never see him as a punt returner again.

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

You're right, he couldn't.

Eagles 2020 1st rounder is now a slot only receiver, according to the new coaching staff.

Cowboys 2020 1st rounder was drafted to be slot only, but could maybe become an outside guy.

Giants 2021 1st rounder is, imo, slot only.  They also have Sterling Sharpe and Evan Engram who are both basically slot only.

There's no playing time for Steve Sims within the division.

All I'll say is don't be too quick to write a guy off after one bad season...I still have faith in Sims Jr, and I know he'd help the Eagles for sure if he came available. Can't wait for the 1st preseason game.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I echo that.  I post these type of tweets whenever I can but I've traveling, just got to Richmond.  So I'll catch some practices but I'll likely post what I see later that day versus on the fly during practice. 

However ya do what ya do when ya do it..I appreciate it muchly man!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Not directed at you, just an observation over the years.  Arm strength never improves.  Ever.  What they show in college is what you get.

QB's can do things to improve some deep ball shots, help with the wind up, core, leg drive, etc.  But that's full body and not arm strength.  Bombs aren't arm, it's everything.  I feel like a lot of beatwriters don't get the difference.  Mahomes/Rodgers/Stafford/Allen can put the ball anywhere at any angle on any throwing platform.  Jacksoch/Brady/Brees/Rivers/McCoy/Jones can not (or couldn't).

Yeah I am with you on that.  That's partly why I thought the WP story on Colt was so strange.  But I tried to keep an open mind watching him in camp.  And yeah Colt's passes floated like they always did.  It's cool to see QBs throw often the exact same throws back to back because you can see the difference in velocity and accuracy in an apples to apples way.  Watching Kirk after watching Colt made Kirk look like he had a Mahomes like rocket.  Obviously, Kirk doesn't have a gun albeit he has decent arm strength but Colt's arm looked distinctly weak versus Kirk.

I'll give Colt this though.  Jay had them throw a ton of flat routes (around the numbers) at the 2019 camp and Colt was really good hitting the receivers in stride.  Haskins oddly really struggled with it.  He'd throw them behind the receiver mostly.  Seeing that on throw after throw, added some of the skepticism I already had about Haskins.   Keenum was better at that throw than Haskins but Colt was the more accurate QB throwing in the flat by the numbers. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Well, it'd good we have a Football Team, filled with Football Players.

Not next week though, that’s the HOF game. We play two weeks from today though, in New England 

8 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Probably get to watch haskins for 2 quarters.

🙄

Well hey, it’ll provide entertainment then :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Not next week though, that’s the HOF game. We play two weeks from today though, in New England 

Well hey, it’ll provide entertainment then :) 

Being from Pennsylvania, the Steelers are my second team (:eagles_suck:) and according to reports haskins is the 3rd stringer.. so likely we will see Ben for a few snaps, and then Rudolph will probably get majority of the play time.