Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

14 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't recall Forrest being cut before this designation, and I thought someone like him had to clear waivers before goin to the injured list.

Or is it a loophole, based on the fact it's technically not the actual I.R. ?

Or did he clear waivers, and I missed it

Every players that we cut cleared waivers.

No one was claimed by another team.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

This is our most talented in many years. 

I'm pretty sure I've read this on this forum early September for the last 10 years or close to it.

26 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't think we'd use a valuable gameday active spot on a guy who very likely would not play, like Larsen

So, in your case, with an injury to Roullier, usually I think what happens is one of the Guards is considered "Center-Capable" and fills in the rest of the game.

Then, if Roullier's injury keeps him out longer, I think that's when they make Larsen "active"

J.M.O.

Tyler Larsen is often active on gameday and probably will tis year.

Putting Curtis Samuel's case aside as he'll play this year, even if not week 1/2 due to injury, our Inactive will be close to this:

Sammis Reyes (TE)

Torry McTyer/Darryl Roberts (CB)

Shaka Toney (DE)

Kyle Allen (QB)

Jarrett Patterson / DeAndre Carter (RB/WR) whoever is the worst returner.

Dax Milne (WR)

David Sharpe (OT)

David Brada (DL) - He's still part of our roster due to the international program. Thought they were going to stash him on PS, but according to our site he's part of the team.

Those are the actual prime candidates for the inactive list on any given sunday.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I'm pretty sure I've read this on this forum early September for the last 10 years or close to it.

Putting Curtis Samuel's case aside as he'll play this year, even if not week 1/2 due to injury, our Inactive will be close to this:

Sammis Reyes (TE)

Shaka Toney (DE)

Kyle Allen (QB)

Dax Milne (WR)

David Sharpe (OT)

David Brada (DL) - He's still part of our roster due to the international program. Thought they were going to stash him on PS, but according to our site he's part of the team.

Those are the actual prime candidates for the inactive list on any given sunday.

You expect RSJ to be active over Reyes?

Patterson has never been a returner before and despite them asking him to see if he could do it, he only saw reps as a kick returner to my knowledge, not punt returner.  We’ve always kept 3 RB’s active in the past so not sure why it would be either/or with him and Carter. 

David Sharpe was cut and wasn’t even signed to the practice squad. 

Allen

RSJ

Roberts

Flowers

Milne

Toney 

Mayo

I see these as the options prior to any injuries. The first three I see as essentially locks. Assuming Schweitzer starts, Larsen is active as the backup center, Lucas the backup swing tackle and Charles is a backup utility guard/tackle. Or he could be inactive and Flowers active as the backup but I think Charles may be more versatile. Toney and Mayo would really come down to who ST wants up or if all the above are down then both could be active. 

Regardless, these are my expected inactives.

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Sammis Reyes (TE)

Shaka Toney (DE)

Kyle Allen (QB)

Dax Milne (WR)

David Sharpe (OT)

Thought David Sharpe was released?. 

2 hours ago, moondog said:

Patterson has never been a returner before and despite them asking him to see if he could do it, he only saw reps as a kick returner to my knowledge, not punt returner.  We’ve always kept 3 RB’s active in the past so not sure why it would be either/or with him and Carter. 

Allen

RSJ

Roberts

Flowers

Milne

Toney 

Mayo

I see these as the options prior to any injuries. The first three I see as essentially locks. Assuming Schweitzer starts, Larsen is active as the backup center, Lucas the backup swing tackle and Charles is a backup utility guard/tackle. Or he could be inactive and Flowers active as the backup but I think Charles may be more versatile. Toney and Mayo would really come down to who ST wants up or if all the above are down then both could be active. 

Flowers has been playing with the starters since round about the middle of camp. I like Schweitzer and he can play both G positions, I think he will be the swing G on game days. 

52 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Wasn't there an article or a tweet that said that Mayo is some stud special teamer? Something along the lines of they had to game-plan against him? If so you would think he will be a definite to play on Sundays

I'm not sure about that. He's an ex-Panther so they're obviously familiar with what he can do:

"Cultural fit, coaching fit and playing fit: those are the three areas Rivera looks at when deciding which players to add to the roster. Mayo checks all of these boxes.

Mayo is intelligent, physical, ambitious and willing to do whatever it takes to have success (see: living in a shed). He also played under Rivera for four seasons and went to a Super Bowl with him, so he knows exactly what Rivera expects both individually and collectively. He can pass along all of these insights to younger linebackers like Cole Holcomb and Khaleke Hudson.

Personnel wise, Mayo can orchestrate the defense as a middle linebacker or provide a sure tackler on the strong side of the formation."

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/david-mayo-washington-bio-five-things-to-know

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Milne and Reyes were inactive for much of the beginning of the year as they develop.  Larsen has to be active, if CR goes down, who is playing center?   Agree on Allen, toney, mctyer/Roberts.   I'd guess mayo too.  Last one goes to whoever is the gimpiest, maybe Curtis Samuel week one.

Wes Schweitzer would shift over to center if Roullier goes down.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

Thought David Sharpe was released?. 

Flowers has been playing with the starters since round about the middle of camp. I like Schweitzer and he can play both G positions, I think he will be the swing G on game days. 

It’s been a little back and forth. Both have seen time with the ones but I think Schweitzer, while less talented, produces at a higher level because he plays with a mean streak and maximizes his talent and flowers really hasn’t. Either way, if one starts the other likely will be an active backup unless they consider Charles to be the utility backup. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't recall Forrest being cut before this designation, and I thought someone like him had to clear waivers before goin to the injured list.

that's preseason, that's over

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Before the cut down to 53 a player has to be cut to be put on i.r or they cannot play again this year.

After the cut to 53 they can be put on the i.r and designated to return in season.

Forrest made the initial 53 so that is why he was not subject to waivers and can return at some point this year.

At least I believe that is accurate based off what I've read in here in the past.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, moondog said:

Allen

RSJ

Roberts

Flowers

Milne

Toney 

Mayo

Yeah Sharpe was cut, for whatever reason the roster on the website doesn't seem to be up to date @TK some deserves some boots to asses, obviously!

And RSJ is more game ready than Reyes is right now. Except maybe if you want to phone call your play by sending in Reyes to the opposing D.

Baring injury, Not a chance Flowers lands on the inactive, he's our starting LG right now.

Now, regarding Carter/Patterson/Milne, I believe at least 1 or 2 will be inactive on game day. 

Feels like we're not gonna go with a different KR/PR all year long.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Scherff, everyone agrees, was a no-brainer that fell into our lap. Crowder, Fuller, and Ioannidis were good picks, of course. But the rest of those picks ?

Scherff definitely wasn't a no-brainer.  Not on our forum anyway.  He was a surprise pick that people felt was a reach, and perhaps they were right.  Everyone wanted Leonard Williams instead, and @Monk4thaHALL and I were some of the only big Scherff guys before the draft, and two of the few who were happy after picking him.

That 2015 class looks better than I remember, just not great for us because we didn't keep three of the four long term NFL starters McCloughan found past their rookie deals.  That's a different form of FO failure.  Jarrett probably would have been one too if not for that terrible injury.

2016 would have been alright if Cravens had continued his development arc instead of self immolating.  He's a demonstration of the sad side of this violent game.  You will see drastic personality changes and mental health issues in guys who get brain injuries playing the sport.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Yeah Sharpe was cut, for whatever reason the roster on the website doesn't seem to be up to date @TK some deserves some boots to asses, obviously!

Someone on the team really likes Sharpe 😁

I'm actually surprised he's not on the practice squad. They've always valued him higher than the rest of the league

55 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

And RSJ is more game ready than Reyes is right now. Except maybe if you want to phone call your play by sending in Reyes to the opposing D.

Baring injury, Not a chance Flowers lands on the inactive, he's our starting LG right now.

Now, regarding Carter/Patterson/Milne, I believe at least 1 or 2 will be inactive on game day. 

Feels like we're not gonna go with a different KR/PR all year long.

RSJ is more game ready but how often do you actually use a third tight end in a game? They’re almost exclusively used in short yardage and goal line as an extra blocker like I said previously so you’re not giving anything away and he’s our best blocking tight end. If you’re going to keep a third tight end active I feel like Reyes provides more in that role but if Bates or Thomas got hurt then RSJ would leapfrog him to the #2 spot. 

I know Flowers got some more time with the ones but are we sure that was indicative of him being the starter? This staff routinely plays guys with the ones (Patterson, milne, etc) to see how they play against better competition while surrounded by better players. It was my understanding Schweitzer was still seeing 1 reps as well. 

We kept Carter purely as a returner, he provides us nothing as a receiver. There’s no chance we kept him just to be inactive or share returner duties. 

Cravens and Doctson were total scouting failures.  How did they do no personality evaluations or talk to sources?  Beatwriters found out quickly that Cravens had quit his college team twice.  Out FO didn't know that.  They found out Doctson went into a funk his first year when things didn't go well.  Our FO didn't know that either.

Cravens was never developing.  His emotional maturity had been on display for years at USC.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Not heard much talk on here about the David Mayo signing, was he here during camp or was he released by another team? 

He was here all off season.  Seems like a cut that came with a don't leave the building because you'll be on the 53 as soon as we IR this guy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Not heard much talk on here about the David Mayo signing, was he here during camp or was he released by another team? 

He's been here since the Spring when we signed him as a FA from the NYG....Mayo is supposed to be an animal on special teams. Between him and Apke we may give up a total of zero return yards this entire season...Apke is supposed to be the equivalent of Forrest Gump when he played ST at Alabama.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, moondog said:

I know Flowers got some more time with the ones but are we sure that was indicative of him being the starter? This staff routinely plays guys with the ones (Patterson, milne, etc) to see how they play against better competition while surrounded by better players. It was my understanding Schweitzer was still seeing 1 reps as well. 

Hard to say for sure, but it seems the tide swung from Schweitzer getting most of the first team work, to Flowers getting most of the first team work. One benefit I see of Schweitzer as a backup is he is more versatile. Could essentially be the first backup at all 3 entire interior OL positions if we wanted him to be. 

• Like 2

In the 20 months since his hiring, Coach Ron Rivera and his staff have overhauled the football operations of the Washington Football Team. They’ve turned over many players, coaches, executives and support staff, and earlier this week, as they whittled the roster to an initial 53, Washington looked as far away as ever from the era defined by former team president Bruce Allen.

Rivera was hired to help this franchise move beyond that smoldering wreckage, to, as he once put it, help fans judge the team not on where it’s been but where it’s going. Yet perhaps nothing underscores the progress he’s made more than the roster, which now includes just 15 players he inherited from the previous regime.

In all, Rivera has completely cleaned out four position groups — quarterback, running back, tight end and linebacker — and elsewhere retained only starters or pivotal backups. This offseason, the team maintained its youth, added speed and cut loose almost all of the leftover role players, such as cornerback Jimmy Moreland, leaving Allen’s fingerprints faint and faded. Rivera has established the bedrock of his rebuild, the team he’ll rely on in the critical upcoming years of his tenure.

In short, it’s Rivera’s roster now.

If the first flash of progress in the long slog of returning this franchise to contention was last year’s NFC East title, the second was the level of competition this training camp. The battles at many positions were tough, and some spots which were concerns a year ago, such as wide receiver and offensive line, are now highlights in terms of depth. The roster looks unrecognizable even to some of those in the building.

“When I came in here, it was tough. It was a tough pill to swallow,” safety Landon Collins, who arrived in 2019, said during training camp. “I was like, ‘We got to turn this around some kind of way.’ What Ron is doing now, man, he’s done an amazing job. I just want to be a part of it as long as I can, because it’s a special team for sure.”

Of the 15 players Washington has retained, 10 are starters, mostly no-brainers for any coach to keep around, such as receiver Terry McLaurin and defensive end Montez Sweat. Two of the five backups, defensive tackles Matt Ioannidis and Tim Settle, would start on many teams, and two others, receiver Cam Sims and safety Deshazor Everett, not only started last year but could step in again if needed.