Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

42 minutes ago, dyst said:

..and what “respect” has Jamin, Dyami, Cosmi or St. Juste earned that people are praising them without even getting on the field?

Theres a pretty big difference between being excited for the potential of a young player versus earning respect.  Kinda like Sims last year...people were excited for his potential.  Then he was godawful.  Therefore, no respect. 

If and when those guys you named bomb, the same will apply to them.  For now, people are excited about the camp reports.  That will pretty obviously evaporate if they have a season like Sims had last year.

• Like 1

It’s ridiculous that the NFL Network focuses on the Patriots for the game. They stink, they spent a billion dollars this offseason and will probably finish third in that division. 

How about talking about the team that actually made the playoffs? I don’t know who the announcers will be but I’m sure it will be all about Cam, Mac and Bill. 

Edited by skinsfan93

• When he needs to, Ryan Fitzpatrick can reach back and really zing a fastball into a confined space. Those types of throws from him don't look as effortless as some of the NFL's strongest QBs, like Aaron Rodgers or Josh Allen, but to still have that ability at age 38 is a testament to Fitzpatrick's commitment to his job. On the flip side, it may also be the cause for some of his interceptions, but that's just a part of the Fitz Experience.
  •  
  • While Fitzpatrick appears to be quite comfortable with the likes of Terry McLaurin and Logan Thomas, his trust in Adam Humphries is on another level. In one 11-on-11 sequence, Humphries lined up in the right slot and at the snap Fitzpatrick faced a heavy blitz. Before any rusher could get to him, however, the signal caller tossed one to the spot he knew Humphries would arrive at, which is precisely what happened. Fitzpatrick's release came before Humphries even turned his head, and that's the kind of connection that takes serious work to develop. The two years they spent together in Tampa have certainly carried over to the Burgundy and Gold. 
  •  
  • Let's do one more bullet on ol' No. 14. He's, for sure, getting more in sync with each session. His turnovers are down and his completions are up. On Sunday, his prettiest throw went to JD McKissic. The running back was locked up in the red zone with Cole Holcomb on an out-of-the-backfield route that was meant to end at the right pylon. But in seeing how closely Holcomb was covering McKissic, Fitzpatrick delivered a smooth back-shoulder throw away from the linebacker that McKissic snatched for six. Later, Fitzpatrick zipped one to McLaurin for another score. Afterward, Rivera explained to reporters that he absolutely can feel that Fitzpatrick is increasingly getting into a rhythm.
  •  
  • Peyton Barber, to his credit, has looked capable at camp. That said, Lamar Miller might make more sense as the third running back. Yes, Jaret Patterson runs impressively for a guy his size and he'll undoubtedly gain popularity in the preseason, but if Antonio Gibson were to go down, who would you want to handle the bulk of carries between Miller, Barber and Patterson? McKissic could probably step into that role in the middle of a game, but Miller has had the most success as a pro among the final three candidates and he's done a lot with his touches here as well. The exhibition contests will be enormous for this particular battle.
  •  
  • You could land a small aircraft on each of Wes Schweitzer's shoulder pads. Just wanted everyone to know that. 
  • McLaurin is taking the next step this season and will cement himself as one of the league's top 10 receivers. Just wanted everyone to know that, too. 
  • Corner Darryl Roberts had a banner morning for Washington, drawing praise from secondary coach Chris Harris after a couple of separate plays and then finishing up with a jumping interception off of Taylor Heinicke. Roberts, who has plenty of NFL service on his résumé, had been relatively quiet the past week or so but he was definitely noisy on Sunday as he attempts to catch on for the fifth or sixth slot on the depth chart.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/wft-camp-notes-ryan-fitzpatrick-getting-more-comfortable-offense

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Theres a pretty big difference between being excited for the potential of a young player versus earning respect.  Kinda like Sims last year...people were excited for his potential.  Then he was godawful.  Therefore, no respect. 

Sim has more receptions and TD’s than Pierre Garcon when comparing their first two years. That’s how good Sims is. Might even be better than Rice.

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

While I think the Giants roster isn't far off from ours.  I do think the WFT local media and some within the national media are getting a bit carried away with the Giants.   

I am not nearly as high on the giants as most are, and I think we are currently significantly better than them.  I think their biggest problem is what was wrong with the skins for years: lack of star power.  Lack of players who are dominant at their positions. Guys who can win games for you.  Who do they have?  Saquon (a rb who has proven he can't carry them)?  L Williams?  J Peppers, Golladay(over rated), Bradberry?  Solid players, but none of these guys are in the elite tier.  Also, I think their lineup isn't as balanced and their depth isn't as good for a team that has had some premium picks in recent years.  Jones, baker, Hernandez, etc have been a poor ROI.  And we have no reason to think Joe judge and/or the giants scheme can compensate for these issues.  

I think the giants finish last in our division.  I see it something like this:

Skins.       10-7

Cowboys.  9-8

Eagles.       7-10

Giants.       6-11

I think the cowboys are definitely the team to worry about as far as battling for the division. There is a good chance Dak comes back healthy, and he will lift that offense and those around him.  Players will find the spark again, play thru injuries, etc.  I like their balance/depth in the back 7.  

Eagles have some talent, but I think their back 7 prevents them from making a run.  I think Harris will prove to be over hyped, and outside of slay, slim pickings back there.  Aging on both lines and a new coach doesn't help.

I love our roster balance and depth, and feel we have the best star power in the division, with the cowboys a close second.  Young and tmac are elite, but we also have a number of players in that second tier.  Think of all the defensive players where we wouldn't be shocked if they made the pro bowl: sweat, Allen, Payne, ion, curl, LC, wj3, etc.  I'm not saying they all make it, but any random collection of them is easy to imagine.  And we have a solid oline, variety of playmakers, proven coaching staff coming back, and probably the least amount of negative press / gray clouds overhead that we've had in a while.  I just pray to stay healthy to see what we can do.

Long story short, I'm not worried about the giants at all.  I know we have underachieved against them in recent years, but I do feel the times they are a changin with this team.  😎

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Love the new reaction options. Too bad ol’ tater will never experience them

What thread??  I need to see the carnage lol.

38 minutes ago, dyst said:

Sim has more receptions and TD’s than Pierre Garcon when comparing their first two years. That’s how good Sims is. Might even be better than Rice.

Ohhh we arent serious.  Carry on

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Ohhh we arent serious.  Carry on

The Rice and Garcon comparison was definitely a joke but Sims himself, I do like. Not great, but I think as a depth WR, he is fine. He gives effort and has made plays. Guys like Doctson I loathe but Sims, I think has a spot on a roster, hopefully ours.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dyst said:

The Rice and Garcon comparison was definitely a joke but Sims himself, I do like. Not great, but I think as a depth WR, he is fine. He gives effort and has made plays. Guys like Doctson I loathe but Sims, I think has a spot on a roster, hopefully ours.

I'm willing to give him another chance this preseason, but this is make or break time.  Hope he shows out.  

5 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

I'm willing to give him another chance this preseason, but this is make or break time.  Hope he shows out.  

Agree there. If he stinks it up in preseason, then you almost have to move on and give someone else a chance.

28 minutes ago, dyst said:

Agree there. If he stinks it up in preseason, then you almost have to move on and give someone else a chance.

I'd go a little farther and say he actually has to stand out a bit to make the team.  Terry, Samuel, Brown are stone cold locks, Humphries probably too.  So then you have the two Sims, AGG, Harmon, Milne, Wright...they're all close enough for me that I just give jobs to the 2 or maybe 3 that impress the most, from start of camp all through the end of preseason.  And Cam Sims gets the inside track.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I didn’t even know that was possible…

His bio says banned from the stadium.

Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office

ETA: I played myself LOL.  He's banned from the Tailgate.

I will leave the gif to apply to myself 😆

Edited by 86 Snyder
  • Haha 10

9 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I am not nearly as high on the giants as most are, and I think we are currently significantly better than them.  I think their biggest problem is what was wrong with the skins for years: lack of star power.  Lack of players who are dominant at their positions. Guys who can win games for you.  Who do they have?  Saquon (a rb who has proven he can't carry them)?  L Williams?  J Peppers, Golladay(over rated), Bradberry?  Solid players, but none of these guys are in the elite tier.  Also, I think their lineup isn't as balanced and their depth isn't as good for a team that has had some premium picks in recent years.  Jones, baker, Hernandez, etc have been a poor ROI.  And we have no reason to think Joe judge and/or the giants scheme can compensate for these issues.  

I think the giants finish last in our division.  I see it something like this:

Skins.       10-7

Cowboys.  9-8

Eagles.       7-10

Giants.       6-11

I think the cowboys are definitely the team to worry about as far as battling for the division. There is a good chance Dak comes back healthy, and he will lift that offense and those around him.  Players will find the spark again, play thru injuries, etc.  I like their balance/depth in the back 7.  

If its star power, Cowboys definitely have their share.  As for the Giants, the strength of their defense is the back end of it which is what some outfits like PFF think is more important than the front end but I disagree with PFF on that. I'd rather have the pass rush.  Sticking to PFF, they loved the Giants defensive tackles and more so than ours at least in the 2019 season -- Tomlinson, Lawrence, BJ. Hill, L. Williams.   I think they are going to miss Tomlinson.  I watched one of the games versus the Giants on coaches tape and was impressed how he'd break through our O line and stuff the run.  In general, their defense was really good (unlike ours) at stuffing the run.  Not sure if they'd be as good now this season with no Tomlinson.  But their D line is still stout and Blake Martinez was a killer good signing for them.    I like their secondary better than ours.  I think their DTs are in the same conversation as our DTs.  But the key difference is we got Sweat and Chase and they got nothing at the edge.

As for offense, they got a lot of potential weapons:  Engram, Shepard, Golladay, Slayton heck maybe even Toney in spite of his roller coaster off season.  Even their backups are potentially interesting with Ross  and Rudolph.  None of them are as good as Terry, I agree.  But its still a loaded group at least on paper.  Then you add Barkley who is a big time passing weapon, too.

I think Jones and their O line derails their season but not to the extent you do, I think they go 8-9. 

Dallas' roster on offense is insane.  They have some talent on defense but they seem to be injury prone.  There seems to be buzz there that Quinn has already turned around that defense judging by how they've looked in camp.  Hopefully not.  But I do think a big time D coordinator can change a defense fast.  See Gregg Williams here for example.    But yeah Dallas scares me some. 

The Eagles are traditonally strong on both lines.  But they got work to do on the O line.   Talk about lacking stars.  Fletcher Cox is a beast and the best DT in the division IMO but after him?  Devonta Smith supposedly looked great in camp until his injury.  Loved Devonta for years when he played at Alabama but his frame is so slight that I am not sure about his durability.  If I had to pick the division now, it would be

Dallas 10-7

WFT:  9-8

Giants 8-9

Eagles 6-11

I'd pick the WFT but their schedule IMO is insane.  The defense has to show they can shut down top QBs.    And Fitz is likely going to have to win some duels. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, skinny21 said:

While I’m a little bummed he doesn’t seem to be competing for a starting gig, the ability to free up a roster spot is big.  And as you suggest, let’s see how he looks next year with Lucas/Leno/Scherff all FAs.

@dyst I actually disagree with your premise regarding Gibson.  He’s a shifty runner (and showed impressive burst, IMO), but when he did get a chance to run a straight line, he looked fast to me.  He was able to turn the corner (rushing and receiving) multiple times because the defender misjudged their angle because of his speed.  Same with the number of guys he left laying out trying to get a hand on him.  I also don’t recall him getting caught from behind (unless a defender had a running start).

If I were to go along with your point though, the combo of turf toe, adjusting to the position and system, and the fact he rarely had a runway to actually get to full speed should explain it.  He also mentioned dropping some weight this offseason - it’s possible he bulked up a bit last year and lost a touch of speed/burst.  JMO

I kind of saw the same thing @dyst did from the very first time I saw Gibson, long before the toe injury. He was obviously fast but it wasn't that jump off the screen speed of say a Darren Sproles I was expecting.  

10 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

He had a heck of a sophomore slump after rising from an unheralded udfa to a player who excited us. I'm glad to hear he's working hard and doing extra work on his weaknesses (jugs machine). I don't know what happened to him in his second year. Was it injuries? Was it that teams got tape on him? Did he come out overconfident and lazy after overachieving during his rookie campaign? Most importantly, can he get it back?

I remember discussing him with Kdawg during Simms first season. I was pretty high on him. Kdawg urged caution and warned that his iffy hands may catch up to him. At the end of season 1, Kdawg had moved closer to my position and we both looked for progress. By the end of season 2, Kdawg's analysis and skepticism seemed more accurate and, if anything, far too kind. Simms really had a bad second year (going off memory).  He couldn't even be trusted to catch punts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Following up on the predictions drill.  I am going with 9-8.  Sheehan just now said 7-10.    It's going to be interesting to see where people are on this as the season approaches.  I've typically been too optimistic in retrospect before seasons.  Will see. 

I guess Ryan is back there again

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Following up on the predictions drill.  I am going with 9-8.  Sheehan just now said 7-10.    It's going to be interesting to see where people are on this as the season approaches.  I've typically been too optimistic in retrospect before seasons.  Will see. 

Still not use to seeing "17" games referenced.

• Like 1