Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The sophomore slump is usually mentioned as it relates to QBs, as DCs now have a full offseason to study their tendencies and gameplan against their weaknesses.  Not sure it really applies much to other positions.  For example, Sweat and Holcomb definitely improved last season vs. their rookie years.

IDK about that. Sean Taylor had a sophomore slump so bad that some here wanted to cut him way back then. 

I agree that tape helps contribute to the slump but attitude does as well. In your first year you're trying to make a name for yourself, some people after the first year lose their edge a bit because they, in my opinion,  get pompous and arrogant. Then they wake up and realize this and get back to work their 3rd year...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Xameil said:

IDK about that. Sean Taylor had a sophomore slump so bad that some here wanted to cut him way back then. 

I agree that tape helps contribute to the slump but attitude does as well. In your first year you're trying to make a name for yourself, some people after the first year lose their edge a bit because they, in my opinion,  get pompous and arrogant. Then they wake up and realize this and get back to work their 3rd year...

I'm sure there are examples of sophomore slumps at positions outside of QB, but I'd be willing to bet that most players' production improves in their 2nd years as opposed to regressing.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'm sure there are examples of sophomore slumps at positions outside of QB, but I'd be willing to bet that most players' production improves in their 2nd years as opposed to regressing.

Could be...this is just the first time I've heard it be mainly for QBs

Edited by Xameil

1 hour ago, Xameil said:

I don't think you've got the right player.  His rookie year as amazing but 2005 was the year of the two touchdown returns to get to and win in the playoffs.  The hit that should've sealed the deal for the Monday Night Miracle.  Like, he was a monster that year.  People thought he slipped in 2006, which was bull**** then and bull**** now, but his sophomore year was fantastic.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I don't think you've got the right player.  His rookie year as amazing but 2005 was the year of the two touchdown returns to get to and win in the playoffs.  The hit that should've sealed the deal for the Monday Night Miracle.  Like, he was a monster that year.  People thought he slipped in 2006, which was bull**** then and bull**** now, but his sophomore year was fantastic.

Right player...wrong years apparently...I blame the mass amounts of alcohol...

I wasn't one that said he should be cut. I just remember the discussions on it..

22 minutes ago, Xameil said:

I wasn't one that said he should be cut. I just remember the discussions on it..

He was the greatest player ever every second of every game, even when he missed games, which he never did. He was always perfect.

Or so it seems to some folks.

Got our Fanpass tix for Thursday. Need to decide which session to attend. I'm leaning toward the morning because I like to see how players handle the heat. That session starts at 9am with practice starting at 10:15 and runs through 1pm. Night session is 6-9pm. Weather looks like it will be in the low 90s. Can't wait!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I’m really excited to watch Curl this year.  I’m wondering about the sophomore slump, because I’m one of those people that believes in the sophomore slump.  But this guy has so much promise and plays so hard, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him play better than he did last year.  He’s one of my top three players to watch this year.

I am curious how much he sees the field with Collins coming back. But I am not sure Collins will be ready to go at the beginning of the season either. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I am curious how much he sees the field with Collins coming back. But I am not sure Collins will be ready to go at the beginning of the season either. 

Most people feel he outperformed Collins too.

1 minute ago, Vanguard said:

Oh I agree. But I cant see Collins sitting on the bench with what he is making this year. My guess is they split playing time at SS and Everett and Mccain split time at FS.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He was the greatest player ever every second of every game, even when he missed games, which he never did. He was always perfect.

Or so it seems to some folks.

Still haven’t seen another come along like him at that position. Imagine him in today’s NFL with all his position flex. Ron would lose his mind lol. 

I hear you though, no, he was not a perfect player. Maybe perfectly built though lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Xameil said:

Bro, hope you're sitting down, but his rookie year is old enough to be applying to college.  No worries whatsoever.  :cheers:

14 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Oh I agree. But I cant see Collins sitting on the bench with what he is making this year. My guess is they split playing time at SS and Everett and Mccain split time at FS.

I see where you're coming from, but Ron didn't pay for him.  If Rivera could drop the 15th pick about 15 months after Haskins was selected, I feel like he could put any given player "in rotation" so-to-speak.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Vanguard said:

He did.  Collins struggled showing 1 look pre-snap then rotating back to assignment post-snap.  He doesn't have those wheels.  Kurl isn't a speed demon, but he can do that.

3 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

I see where you're coming from, but Ron didn't pay for him.  If Rivera could drop the 15th pick about 15 months after Haskins was selected, I feel like he could put any given player "in rotation" so-to-speak.

While true.  There was a rumor that if Ron DIDN'T, he might have lost the locker room.  The players on the team liked Haskins less and less as the season went on.  An issue of a "double standard" was a threat to emerge.

• Like 1

If Collins is healthy, he plays because of performance. He's lost weight, they're keeping him focused and on the field during practice. 

I'm thinking there's a rotation between him and Curl and maybe even on the field together. They're both pure SSs, but different style of play.

Last year we had awful FS play, which made us vulnerable in a single high look. Now with McCain, and occasionally Fuller, we'll be able to keep a safety in the box.

I'm super excited to see if Collins can get back to 2016 form. He's perfect for JDR.

• Like 2

An in form Landon Collins would be a beast in this defense. I'm talking about the guy that was an All Pro a few years back. But I don't think that guy exists anymore. He didn't just get hurt last year, he stunk when he did play. But part of me thinks that All Pro might still be there and man if THAT guy plays in THIS D, we could really be special. Think like Troy Polamalu behind those great Steeler fronts.

Rivera and JDR probably feel like they owe it to see if they can get that Landon Collins back. As good as Kam Curl was last year, he will probably never be that good even at his best(but he is a damn good SS in his own right).

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I think we'll run plenty of 3 Safety sets.  The top 3 safety's, Mccain, Curl, Collins will be on the field a lot.  Assuming they play all 17 games, Overall I think Curl ends up playing more than Collins.  Remember too, that Collins may not be ready to go week 1, so I would not be shocked if they ease him back in.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

He still never made a Pro Bowl outright. He was selected as an alternate. I think many (particularly our younger fans) have a false sense of how good he actually was. Don't get me wrong, he was as talented as everyone says but couldn't mentally put it all together just yet. I think he would of went on to be very good, however.

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

An in form Landon Collins would be a beast in this defense. I'm talking about the guy that was an All Pro a few years back. But I don't think that guy exists anymore. He didn't just get hurt last year, he stunk when he did play. But part of me thinks that All Pro might still be there and man if THAT guy plays in THIS D, we could really be special. Think like Troy Polamalu behind those great Steeler fronts.

Rivera and JDR probably feel like they owe it to see if they can get that Landon Collins back. As good as Kam Curl was last year, he will probably never be that good even at his best(but he is a damn good SS in his own right).

Ron and Jack don’t owe Landon Collins anything. They didn’t sign him. Even though safety was a need the last couple years the team didn’t sign a high priced free agent. I think their philosophy is to build from the front seven back. I said it previously but I think Landon is a candidate to being cut so we can save money. 

Curl is very solid as one of our safeties (remember he played free safety a bit with Everett at strong) and Bobby Collins/Reeves/Forest and whoever can play opposite of him. With all the spread offenses in the NFL, we need guys who can run and cover. Landon just isn’t a good fit on this team even when fully healthy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Ron and Jack don’t owe Landon Collins anything. They didn’t sign him. Even though safety was a need the last couple years the team didn’t sign a high priced free agent. I think their philosophy is to build from the front seven back. I said it previously but I think Landon is a candidate to being cut so we can save money. 

Curl is very solid as one of our safeties (remember he played free safety a bit with Everett at strong) and Bobby Collins/Reeves/Forest and whoever can play opposite of him. With all the spread offenses in the NFL, we need guys who can run and cover. Landon just isn’t a good fit on this team even when fully healthy. 

Idk about all that. It is good to be interchangeable but Collins is an absolute missile in the run game and blitzing and we have use for that. He can say he’s a safety all he wants for financial reasons but we can still and probably will line him up in the box and as a blitzer if he stays. There is definitely a role for him even if it’s situational. 

• Like 1