Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snyder, Jason Wright Traveling the U.S. (and Europe) Scouting Stadium Ideas

Dan T.

10 hours ago, No Nonsense said:

And if they want this built by 2027, they better get moving. 

If they break ground by late 2024/early 2025, they will be fine.  The problem is not having a site yet.  That, in itself, could take a couple of years to get approved and purchased, especially if they want it in DC.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, redskin301 said:

I would love a dome 

Not that I hate domes, but I always felt we would change our identity if we played in a dome. Redskins were always a natural grass team playing in the elements. The biggest thing I feel most of us agree on about RFK was that the partial dome always reflected the crowd noise back down onto the field giving our 'twelfth man' a monumental edge in intimidation. It's the biggest reason I hate it when we play in Seattle. They still have their edge against us and we gave ours away. I hate it every time I pass RFK and see our old home.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

If they break ground by late 2024/early 2025, they will be fine.  The problem is not having a site yet.  That, in itself, could take a couple of years to get approved and purchased, especially if they want it in DC.

No one wants to work with Snyder. Maybe Wright can bridge that gap, but giving Snyder public funds is a death knell in this area.

26 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Would think they take a look at the new Tottenham Football Stadium, in London.

Agreed.

My only desire is that they embrace the adage that bigger is not necessarily better. No 80,000+ seat impersonal concrete and steel monstrosity.

Somewhere around 60,000 seats is perfect. It allows for the illusion of intimacy and puts all fans close to the action. RFK held 50,000 if memory serves.

Tottenham has to be right near the top of the list. State of the art. A magnificent blend of form and function.

Breathtaking...

image.thumb.jpeg.ae29d6c338eebc836d0f82c97104939e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cccf281251868ec293917ef2c68dc64f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.93a54951afe83fead0f913a2cc36d271.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.eac7081a8ec83cb7157b2c2b2cc4d431.jpeg

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium ranked ‘best soccer venue in the world’

With a lot of competition, zeroing in on the world’s best sports stadium is no easy task. However, Brand Finance’s Football Annual has been released, which ranks clubs’ facilities around the globe on a number of categories and criteria, and its analysis has rated the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium as the best performing ground in the world.

https://www.stadia-magazine.com/news/venue-management/tottenham-hotspur-stadium-ranked-best-soccer-venue-in-the-world.html

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I wonder if the new stadium will have a retractable roof?  I know Dan wants to hold major events here year round (Super Bowls, Final Fours, WrestleManias, etc).  It’s the only way a new stadium will keep generating revenue year round.  It would probably be in Snyder’s best interest to build a retractable stadium for that alone.  We could be hosting a Super Bowl in year one of the new stadium if that happens.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Would think they take a look at the new Tottenham Football Stadium, in London.

That was my first thought too. I'm looking forward to visiting it this season- last time norwich were in the Prem, spurs away was midweek so not feasible for me.

That stadium is ****ing awesome.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, RVAskins said:

Please don't make the new stadium look anything like this!

I’m forced to agree.  Not really pleased with that look at all.  I would like an open stadium with a retractable roof, like the Death Star.  

The new stadium also needs to have a partial roof over the stands for crowd noise.  Seattle has that and that is why they have the illusion of being the loudest fan base.  The sound is reflected back onto the field.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Califan007 said:

These two things might kinda contradict each other. 

I used the wrong terminology when I said "scripted."  I mean, it wasn't an accident there was a reporter there, and it wasn't an accident which questions he asked.  It was planned to look like the guy just ran into Dan and Jason walking down the street.  That didn't happen.  I'm sure there were stipulations as well, such as "ask about the stadium, ask about the name, DO NOT ASK about the other scandals, etc.

It reminds me of a scene from The West Wing where the President is not supposed to speak to a (some former Soviet Republic) politician who was trying to gain power, but did not represent the government.  So, this guy was supposed to mean with the staff, and then leave.  But he got drunk and demanded to speak with the President or he wasn't going to leave, so they arranged for them to "bump into each other randomly" in the hallway so they could say it was an unscheduled meeting.  And the President walks in and says something like, "Hey, imagine bumping into you exactly where they told me you would be."  (Apologies to Aaron Sorkin for butchering his work but I'm too busy to look up the exact quote.)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, slinky said:

only 3 dome teams have ever won the super bowl and none in like 10+ years. 

But in fairness, in the last 20 years, New England has won like half of them. :P

I actually hate this argument a lot.  The reason is I think it's causation without correlation.  

Here are the list of the current teams who play in a dome: Cardinals, Cowboys, Falcons, Lions, Saints, Vikings, Colts and Texans.

Only 2 of those teams have really had SB worthy teams in the last 10 years, the Saints and the Falcons.  The saints should have been in the SB except for a HORRENDOUS call against the Rams.  The Falcons were in the SB.  And played the SB indoors (Houston) and lost to the Patriots.  

The reason dome teams don't win a lot of SBs is because 1) there aren't that many of them to begin with, and 2) they just haven't been very good teams in the last 20 years, on the whole.

Personally, I want the stadium to have a retractable roof.  I would be ok fine if the roof stayed open for all football games. And maybe it's just because as I get older, I don't care to sit in 0 degree temps to watch a football game when I don't have to.  I used to say, "Real Fans Get Wet." (wet being a euphemism for all kinds of bad weather) and sortof embraced the idea of being a fan through any weather.  Though, as I've gotten older, I think I'm fine rooting for a team indoors and balance out the elements with the added volume of an indoor arena.  But whatever.  I don't really care that much one way or the other.  

But I think having a stat of the art stadium with a roof would be really, really good for the city.  It immediately draws "big" events, you can use it for a variety of things all year long, and you don't just have this big, empty monstrosity sitting empty except for ~25 days a year.  

The study is how the Cowboys use Jerry World.  There are ALWYAYS things going on in Jerry World.  Corporate events, other sporting events, big concerts, they rent out parts of the stadium to different groups all the time.  It's literally in the middle of nowhere and they have people there all year round.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I used the wrong terminology when I said "scripted."  I mean, it wasn't an accident there was a reporter there, and it wasn't an accident which questions he asked.  It was planned to look like the guy just ran into Dan and Jason walking down the street.  That didn't happen.  I'm sure there were stipulations as well, such as "ask about the stadium, ask about the name, DO NOT ASK about the other scandals, etc.

Yep.  Grant and Danny talked about this earlier. That was not a random Snyder sighting in LA. I hadn't really thought about it, but it definitely was a PR department move. 

"Hey TMZ, Daniel Snyder and a top assistant will be outside the new SoFi stadium at 2:00 PDT. Ask them why they are there and about their plans for a new stadium."

• Like 2

I would honestly do something similar to SoFi. It’s an infill stadium, meaning it’s open on the sides but is covered. It provides the best of both worlds where you are protected from rain and snow but also get that open feeling. Ideally, you want to have a transparent or translucent roof, too.

• Thanks 2

I love the thought of a state of the art stadium.  Especially after the worst stadium experience in the league, Fed Ex Field, for over 20 years.  At the same time I do not want a dome stadium and feel that it should seat no more than 65,000-70,000 fans.  A more intimate experience like a modernized RFK stadium.  Instead of a rocking concourse maybe a stadium that can really hold in the fan noise like in Seattle.  That would be amazing because Washington fans can get loud when they have something to root for.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1