Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snyder, Jason Wright Traveling the U.S. (and Europe) Scouting Stadium Ideas

Dan T.

12 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think the coldest I have ever been in my life was the Thursday Night game in 2007 against the Bears...

You young whippersnappers got no dadblasted sense of history!

In my day we would have worn shorts, wife beaters and flip flops to that game and called it football weather. 

Cold, you wanna talk about cold well I'll tell you about the coldest game I ever went to...

December 31st, 1967 the frozen tundra of Lambeau field. Dallas vs Green Bay for the NFL  championship.

My granpa who was a Packers fan scored tickets ti the game and invited me to come see it with him.

It was brutally cold and windy that day.

So cold it hurt deep in your bones-- your very soul. Making the game itself a test of arctic endurance not seen since Shackleton navigated an open boat 1500 km through treacherous ice strewn polar seas, armed only with a sextant, extraordinary skills of seamanship and a will of iron.

It was so cold that we can only speculate on the actual field temperatures because all of the thermometers shattered.

If you spit it would freeze solid before it hit the ground.

Don't even ask what happened if you dared to urinate.

Yet we never whined or complained. We just sat there, yelled and screamed, drank from our flasks and enjoyed the game.

After Green Bay's glorious victory those of us that could still move and breathe cheered as one with unbridled joy.

Those that had frozen solid in place during the game were briefly prayed for and dutifully left behind, ('til the spring thaw), as a final sacrifice and tribute to the gods of football.

The rest of us slowly limped away victoriously on frozen feet.

We may have lost granpa that day but we won something far greater-- a friggin' football game.

You youngins with your domed stadiums, your heated fields, your cushiony seats, and your televised in stadium moving picture screens would do well to learn from that.

/p

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

I assume Dan is trying to get a more attractive mixed-use proposal together to present to local jurisdictions, since no one seems to want a big concrete bowl in their backyard that's associated with him.

For the politicians involved, "mixed use" = more opportunities for tax revenue. Much more appealing from their perspective than a simple stadium that mostly benefits non-constituents, generates relatively little tax revenue, and causes traffic nightmares 8-15 times per year. An upscale mixed-use development might also attract more affluent neighboring residential and commercial development, thus increasing the supply of taxpayers relative to tax eaters.

It's not a dumb strategy, but it's getting pretty late in the FedEx lease term to still be at this stage. I wouldn't be surprised if Snyder has to lease FedEx for a couple more years to get this thing finished. PG County might extort a higher rate from him, but they won't walk away from a lease extension. What the heck else are they going to do with a big ugly concrete bowl in the middle of Landover?

Edited by profusion

19 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't really give a crap about Dan and the money he would make, but how awesome would it be for the area to host those types of events?  It would be great for the city.  Both from a revenue perspective as well as a celebration of our town.  All anybody ever hears about Washington is the complete dysfunction that takes place in predominantly 2 (very famous) buildings.  Getting some of these big events here would really open people's eyes to all the different things the city has to offer, which would, in my opinion, be really great.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves--DC is a huge, wealthy market, and we get treated worse than Cleveland. How long did it take to get the All Star Game here? We still haven't hosted the Draft--but Nashville and Cleveland have, as have New York, Philly, and Dallas. Philly and Dallas were in back-to-back years. You can't tell me we couldn't put that **** on the mall, right in front of the Capitol Building? That wouldn't be a kickass venue?

Add to that you national morons like Mike Wilbon constantly trashing DC. So tired of hearing how we're a "bad sports town." Maybe we should start fights, eat ****, and throw popcorn on injured players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is one of my biggest pet peeves--DC is a huge, wealthy market, and we get treated worse than Cleveland. How long did it take to get the All Star Game here? We still haven't hosted the Draft--but Nashville and Cleveland have, as have New York, Philly, and Dallas. Philly and Dallas were in back-to-back years. You can't tell me we couldn't put that **** on the mall, right in front of the Capitol Building? That wouldn't be a kickass venue?

Add to that you national morons like Mike Wilbon constantly trashing DC. So tired of hearing how we're a "bad sports town." Maybe we should start fights, eat ****, and throw popcorn on injured players.

Wilbon is a bitter Chicago native.  You know what's interesting about "men of Chicago?" You never find them in Chicago.

The Draft in DC would be legitimately cool.  Probably perfect weather.  Stick the stage on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.  Beat that setup.  I dare you.  I double dare you. 

The city has so much to offer.  We also are set up for it.  We're a HUGE tourist city anyway, so we have plenty of hotels and restaurants.  And by "city" I mean not only the District, but the close in suburbs as well.  It's a very vibrant area.  Would be great to really celebrate it with huge, national events.  The All Star Game was a great start.

And a retractable roof stadium would make hosting some bit, marquis events even easier.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

a retractable roof stadium would make hosting some bit, marquis events even easier.  

With my diabetic retinopathy at first glance I read that as "Biz Markie events".

I was like, "Biz Markie!! He's still rapping and he's got enough clout to make it worthwhile for Dan to pay extra for a retractible roof!!??"

😝😝

image.gif.ea0ff294db4d850d7be4a54ed6e84f62.gif

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Legends Global Sales, the sports agency co-owned by Jones’ Dallas Cowboys, has been selected to sell sponsorships and premium seats for prospective new venues for the Buffalo Bills and the Washington Football Team, according to industry sources.

What could go wrong?....

jerry jones.gif

• Haha 7

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

That can’t be it. The cost of living in Vegas isn’t cheap. They’re talking about a $1.5B stadium in Buffalo of all places. 

It is about 37% higher in the DMV than Vegas.  They're in the middle of the desert. Land here is going cost much more than Vegas. Also I like that roof but wonder if that works anywhere that has precipitation, especially snow. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Florgon79 said:

It is about 37% higher in the DMV than Vegas.  They're in the middle of the desert. Land here is going cost much more than Vegas. Also I like that roof but wonder if that works anywhere that has precipitation, especially snow. 

I still don’t think cost of living has must to do with cost to build a stadium. Again, they’re talking about a $1.5B stadium, without a roof, in Buffalo. 

Just now, No Nonsense said:

I still don’t think cost of living has must to do with cost to build a stadium. Again, they’re talking about a $1.5B stadium, without a roof, in Buffalo. 

I don't disagree, but I still think it's cheaper to build in Vegas than the DMV. I don't think they need to spend a whole lot to get a new stadium. Honestly as long as I'm not paying taxes on the new stadium I don't give a rats ass how much Daniel decides to spend. 

16 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

I don't disagree, but I still think it's cheaper to build in Vegas than the DMV. I don't think they need to spend a whole lot to get a new stadium. Honestly as long as I'm not paying taxes on the new stadium I don't give a rats ass how much Daniel decides to spend. 

Dan has no money to fund a stadium.  I would say for DMV area; probably double of Vegas.  He had to let the NFL change the amount of debt allowed ; so he could buy out the other owners. I don't see a taxpayer funded stadium. I don't there are enough fans, to fund it with PSLs. The team will need to win for about 5 years; before he can get enough fans to fund av stadium.

7 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Dan has no money to fund a stadium.  I would say for DMV area; probably double of Vegas.  He had to let the NFL change the amount of debt allowed ; so he could buy out the other owners. I don't see a taxpayer funded stadium. I don't there are enough fans, to fund it with PSLs. The team will need to win for about 5 years; before he can get enough fans to fund av stadium.

Snyder’s one of the “poorest” owners. I don’t see him paying $2B out of his own pocket for a new stadium. It most certainly be partially paid with tax payer money. This will be very interesting because Snyder isn’t very popular. 

3 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Snyder’s one of the “poorest” owners. I don’t see him paying $2B out of his own pocket for a new stadium. It most certainly be partially paid with tax payer money. This will be very interesting because Snyder isn’t very popular. 

Which government would fund a stadium?

4 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Which government would fund a stadium?

Some are partially funded by state and local government. I think the NFL can even help out. A big market city would rely less on public funds as a small market like Buffalo would though. 

41 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Some are partially funded by state and local government. I think the NFL can even help out. A big market city would rely less on public funds as a small market like Buffalo would though. 

The nfl has helped in funding stadiums before but after saving his sorry ass with the coverup; not sure they would be inclined.  As for governments; definitely not DC or MD. Not sure VA would either though Terry, if he wins; might.

2 hours ago, No Nonsense said:

That can’t be it. The cost of living in Vegas isn’t cheap. They’re talking about a $1.5B stadium in Buffalo of all places. 

COLA for federal employees in all three locations:

DMV: 30.48%

Vegas: 17.68%

Buffalo: 20.20%

Not the end all be all for cost of living but Vegas is not anywhere near the DMV and it is still cheaper than Buffalo.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, -JB- said:

Replicate RFK only 65,000 seats, intimate, build it to get extremely loud like Seattle when the fans go nuts.  Keep it simple.  **** a Cowboys Stadium & all the excess.

I totally agree to that one. But you have to consider the money they lose out on not creating something like Jerry world…..and then consider it’s Snyder. Not gonna happen

• Like 3