Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snyder, Jason Wright Traveling the U.S. (and Europe) Scouting Stadium Ideas

Dan T.

17 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The study is how the Cowboys use Jerry World.  There are ALWYAYS things going on in Jerry World.  Corporate events, other sporting events, big concerts, they rent out parts of the stadium to different groups all the time.  It's literally in the middle of nowhere and they have people there all year round.

I lived in Arlington Texas and supervised some of the work on that stadium. It's absolutely true that it is a cash cow & is always utilized. However, it is far far from in the middle of nowhere. It sits smack dab in the middle of the DFW Metroplex and is a stones throw from Dallas Ft Worth International Airport. 

• Thanks 1

I look at it like this, the only new stadium to be built the last 15 years with no buzz or non-football events is MetLife Stadium.  It is a newer version of Fed-Ex in my opinion, and just a “blah” stadium in general.  It got the SB back in 2012, but that’s because the NFL wanted a SB in the NYC area.  Other than that are there any other events that it’s hosted since besides Giants/Jets games?  Look at the other stadiums that have been built since, (Cowboys, Falcons, Rams, 49ers, Colts, Cardinals, Vikings, etc).  

All these stadiums have events going on year round like College Football championships, NCAA Final Fours, WrestleManias, etc.  MetLife is like Fed-Ex in a way, where it’s just there for NFL and nothing more.  I’m sure Snyder is salivating at the thought of a new stadium hosting big events year round besides NFL games.  For that to happen, I think we need to build a retractable roof stadium.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, samy316 said:

I look at it like this, the only new stadium to be built the last 15 years with no buzz or non-football events is MetLife Stadium.  It is a newer version of Fed-Ex in my opinion, and just a “blah” stadium in general.  It got the SB back in 2012, but that’s because the NFL wanted a SB in the NYC area.  Other than that are there any other events that it’s hosted since besides Giants/Jets games?  Look at the other stadiums that have been built since, (Cowboys, Falcons, Rams, 49ers, Colts, Cardinals, Vikings, etc).

I agree with you, it is a newer version of FedEx. I have no idea who designed the exterior but I could have come up with something better. But it has hosted one or two WrestleMania’s.

7 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

I lived in Arlington Texas and supervised some of the work on that stadium. It's absolutely true that it is a cash cow & is always utilized. However, it is far far from in the middle of nowhere. It sits smack dab in the middle of the DFW Metroplex and is a stones throw from Dallas Ft Worth International Airport. 

Isn’t it like directly between Dallas and adt. Worth?  I remember being at our office in Dallas and going to an event there and it took 30-45 min to get there. 

Yeah it’s between the two cities, but it’s not like it’s downtown Dallas like where the Max’s and Stars play, right?  Or do I have my Dallas geography mixed up. 

13 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Isn’t it like directly between Dallas and adt. Worth?  I remember being at our office in Dallas and going to an event there and it took 30-45 min to get there. 

Yeah it’s between the two cities, but it’s not like it’s downtown Dallas like where the Max’s and Stars play, right?  Or do I have my Dallas geography mixed up. 

It's right in the middle of Arlington Texas next to Rangers stadium, Arlington Convention Center, ect. It's really a purely entertainment district. 

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Domes are dumb as ****. Super weak. It never gets that cold on the field. Ever. Washington is not a bad weather city. A dome would be pathetic. 

We'll probably have one.

You’re not viewing it from a business perspective. People want a multi-use complex. City wants to host the SB. Most fans don’t want to sit in the freezing cold. They need a dome or a retractable roof stadium.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Domes are dumb as ****. Super weak. It never gets that cold on the field. Ever. Washington is not a bad weather city. A dome would be pathetic. 

We'll probably have one.

I don't  know KoolBlue13.

I definitely see the longterm value in having a 21st century retractible roof stadium. Not the old school pure domes of the past.

It allows for 365 days/year events where people can be comfortable no matter what mother nature is offering them.

And it also puts Snyder on the SuperBowl short list. Particularly with the legalized sports betting in the area and venues like MGM Grand etc. already established as tourist destinations.

The one thing I absolutely want, even though my stadium going days are behind me, is a place where the fans are comfortable and having a great experience like I did in the RFK days.

Many young under forty fans have no idea how exciting it is when 50,000 people make a building rock after a touchdown or the stadium is intimate and "audiodynamic" (just made up that word lol) enough to actually intimidate opposing players.

I want that for them-- dome or no dome.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 1

We'll probably have one.

There’s a solution to that. Dan would want a dome because he wants to host other indoor events. 

You build a retractable roof stadium. It seems to work fine for the teams that do have them.

• Like 4

We'll probably have one.

What others said above, but also, it DOES get cold at rare times. I'm still not certain my toes have thawed after the Chiefs beat down back in 2013 in the sleet and freezing rain. My shoes turned into blocks of ice that afternoon. 

• Like 2

Its not so much the cold as it is the rain. Sometimes we end up playing games in the rain and the field gets absolutely trashed and is not able to be recovered. Grass doesn't grow in the winter. 

I feel like one time there was a concert at Fedex that also totally ruined the filed for play. I can't remember when exactly, but dome might help that. Maybe the team needs to partner with a college to double down on games. The Raiders have both a grass and turf field for UNLV.

"The stadium has a roll-in natural bermuda grass field similar to the one at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona.[18] While the Raiders play on the grass field, UNLV prefers to play on an artificial turf surface. The artificial turf is placed directly on the stadium's concrete floor, and the tray holding the grass field is designed so that it can roll in and out without disrupting the turf underneath it.[19]"

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 9:53 AM, samy316 said:

All these stadiums have events going on year round like College Football championships, NCAA Final Fours, WrestleManias, etc.  MetLife is like Fed-Ex in a way, where it’s just there for NFL and nothing more.  I’m sure Snyder is salivating at the thought of a new stadium hosting big events year round besides NFL games.  For that to happen, I think we need to build a retractable roof stadium.

I drive past MetLife everyday on my way to work and live 5 min from it.  There are multiple concerts every year.  Yes it looks generic but it is always booked including wrestlemania twice in 6 years and multiple soccer games from the touring euro teams.  

It definatly is not the cash cow jrry world is but has more going on then FedEx

Edited by boston skins fan

19 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

What others said above, but also, it DOES get cold at rare times. I'm still not certain my toes have thawed after the Chiefs beat down back in 2013 in the sleet and freezing rain. My shoes turned into blocks of ice that afternoon. 

I might be soft but I saw the Giants game at FedEx a few year's ago and I was really cold. Mind you I also went to the Breeders Cup in New Yoork that trip and that was the coldest I have ever felt so perhaps it was just a bad year.

3 hours ago, UK Skins said:

I might be soft but I saw the Giants game at FedEx a few year's ago and I was really cold. Mind you I also went to the Breeders Cup in New Yoork that trip and that was the coldest I have ever felt so perhaps it was just a bad year.

Winter games are all about the gear and preparation, layers and weather proof outwear. I highly suggest Helly Hansen for the latter :)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UK Skins said:

Get Club Level seats. They are worth it. You can go inside where it's both heated in the winter and cooled in the summer. Also the food is better. Great site lines for the game also. If Dan ever sells the team and i start going to games at Fed Ex again, I will only sit in Club level or above. Loge and Suites are also excellent but those can get really pricey, if you can even get those tickets.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2021 at 2:39 AM, Koolblue13 said:

We'll probably have one.

I want a retractable roof.  

And for whatever it's worth, it DOES get cold on the field.  From time to time. I know because I was a season ticket holder for over 10 years.  I think the coldest I have ever been in my life was the Thursday Night game in 2007 against the Bears right after Sean Taylor passed away.  The temperature wasn't that cold, like in the 20's, but there were gusts of wind up to 30 or 40 mph, and it was absolutely bone-chilling. The game in 2009 against the Saints was also really cold.  The old crotchety guy sitting next to me was pretty hysterical, though. Every time the team screwed up (which happened a fair bit), he'd yell and say, "That's because it's COOOOOOLD."  Chuckle.  (It really wasn't the reason, though it was funny.  And it was cold.)

I remember several really miserable games in the fall, not necessarily freezing cold, just pissing rain and damp.  

Look, I'm actually fine if they play all the games outside.  But I want the retractable roof because I want whatever they build to be used 300+ days a year.  And you can't get that, really, without some type of a roof.  

On 5/23/2021 at 8:42 PM, boston skins fan said:

I drive past MetLife everyday on my way to work and live 5 min from it.  There are multiple concerts every year.  Yes it looks generic but it is always booked including wrestlemania twice in 6 years and multiple soccer games from the touring euro teams.  

It definatly is not the cash cow jrry world is but has more going on then FedEx

I think I read something that they have a bunch of small corporate events there in the club level, or whatever, and ~8-10 concerts per year.  Which is similar to what they used to do at FedEx pre-pandemic.  

But that's really old-school.  I want to be able to host the final-four.  The superbowl.  BIG events.  I don't really give a crap about Dan and the money he would make, but how awesome would it be for the area to host those types of events?  It would be great for the city.  Both from a revenue perspective as well as a celebration of our town.  All anybody ever hears about Washington is the complete dysfunction that takes place in predominantly 2 (very famous) buildings.  Getting some of these big events here would really open people's eyes to all the different things the city has to offer, which would, in my opinion, be really great.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1