Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC: Colonial Pipeline blames ransomware for network shutdown

China

2 hours ago, tshile said:

I don’t know how you roll that out to the rest of us to protect us, but at least it would get the businesses out of the line of fire. 

Isn't there a way to limit connections going in and out the demarc point to only URLS that have a verified third-party signed HTTPS certificate?  Just make a cell phone browser that only allows connections with the green lock, no you can't go to the scary website with http or unsigned cert, use chrome if that's what you want. 

White list only URLs and IPs that coincide with those certificates may be an oversimplificaiton, but it really sounds certificate based what you are talking about.  Dark web a lot of times has the .onion domain, by comparison, make it it's own domain, too.  I don't need youtube, it'd suck without it, and that'd be the tough part of what to whitelist.

I've heard of wishes to block international connections to the 365 exchange and outlook setup at work.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Isn't there a way to limit connections going in and out the demarc point to only URLS that have a verified third-party signed HTTPS certificate?  Just make a cell phone browser that only allows connections with the green lock, no you can't go to the scary website with http or unsigned cert, use chrome if that's what you want. 

Well a lot of the malicious stuff lives on legit web sites that have been compromised 

Not having ssl certificates hurts your seo so I don’t know how much that helps. It certainly would help. Also blocking TLD’s that dumb like biz and info, no one uses those. 

Biden administration struggles to limit political damage from gas shortage

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/biden-gas-shortage-hack/2021/05/12/75869444-b33a-11eb-9059-d8176b9e3798_story.html

President Biden has struggled this week to contain an escalating gasoline shortage in the Southeast, prompting Republicans to open a new line of attack against him on an issue that has long been fraught with political peril for the party that controls the White House.

In Congress, Republicans seized on Biden’s moves to transition away from fossil fuels, suggesting it imperils the country’s energy security. On Fox News, conservative hosts have blamed the president for rising prices at the pump and long lines of cars snaking around gas stations, with one dubbing it “Biden’s gas crisis.” And in midterm battleground states where gas is running low, Republican leaders have panned Biden’s response.

Republicans:  If we were more dependent on gas, then gas pipeline problems wouldn't be an issue.

• Haha 3

The Trumpers are all riled up on social media - the gas shortage and increase in prices is all Biden's fault.  Not that they ever provide any evidence that suggests that's the case.  Just it's his fault and this is what you get with dems in office.

Back when it was looking possible that Trump could win re-election, my only saving grace was that things were soon to go sour - no matter who is in charge, and we could relish in his inability to make everything great, like they pretend he does.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The Trumpers are all riled up on social media - the gas shortage and increase in prices is all Biden's fault.  Not that they ever provide any evidence that suggests that's the case.  Just it's his fault and this is what you get with dems in office.

Back when it was looking possible that Trump could win re-election, my only saving grace was that things were soon to go sour - no matter who is in charge, and we could relish in his inability to make everything great, like they pretend he does.

They'd have figured a way to blame it on the Democrats.  That's the thing, the party of "personal responsibility" and their followers are adept at absolutely taking none.  

• Like 2

Forget the pipeline itself, which has nothing to do with Biden, but it is pretty much common sense that as the economy opens up, and we also happen to be on the cusp of summer (some of us already feeling that weather) the overall demand for gasoline was going to go up.

Regardless of who the President is, I've always absolutely hated the "well at this time last year the gas prices were...." trope of an argument as if gas prices don't fluctuate up and down throughout a President's term.

Whenever gas prices spike, everyone gets angry at whoever the guy in office is, and then once in awhile it seems like the masses get serious about realizing long-term continuing the dependence on it is not sustainable, then gas prices start to fall back to a manageable level and everyone forgets all about how mad they were a month prior. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

Wait till one of them tells you- no, Gas prices are not seasonal in nature and do not go up every spring gearing up for summer increase in demand 

these people literally just make **** up 

My favorite are the cherry picked gas price #'s.  They go back to a time when they were at their absolute lowest under Trump, select another when they were really low due to the pandemic, and then give today's #s.  

Nevermind all the #'s across Trump's entire presidency.  Whatever makes them feel better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Forget the pipeline itself, which has nothing to do with Biden, but it is pretty much common sense that as the economy opens up, and we also happen to be on the cusp of summer (some of us already feeling that weather) the overall demand for gasoline was going to go up.

Regardless of who the President is, I've always absolutely hated the "well at this time last year the gas prices were...." trope of an argument as if gas prices don't fluctuate up and down throughout a President's term.

Whenever gas prices spike, everyone gets angry at whoever the guy in office is, and then once in awhile it seems like the masses get serious about realizing long-term continuing the dependence on it is not sustainable, then gas prices start to fall back to a manageable level and everyone forgets all about how mad they were a month prior. 

I don’t know how much you guys have been following this but there’s a truck driver shortage as well. Something like 40% of drivers left the field to retire or haul something else because the cost went down so much when demand plummeted last year

Plus pent up travel and seasonal swings. Plus the pipeline issue. 

The bottom line is there’s a lot going on before you get to POTUS and if you’re gonna blame POTUS trump is first in line for how he handled the pandemic. 

In short- republicans intentionally lie and are genuinely dishonest and they get away with it because the people who vote for them are stupid and/or also liars. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Biden just needs to be like "**** you, **** you, **** you, **** you, you and YOU," and explain why the gas shortage isn't a partisan issue.  

Lol you could say this to either political party when the opposing party is in office. Far too many crisises get politicized and fingers pointed without just shutting the **** up and working together.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xameil said:

Lol you could say this to either political party when the opposing party is in office. Far too many crisises get politicized and fingers pointed without just shutting the **** up and working together.

I could, but I'm saying it here.  This is ridiculous.  Anyone who takes 5 ****ing minutes to read a news story will see that it's not a political issue, but hardly anyone is interested in being intellectually honest. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I could, but I'm saying it here.  This is ridiculous.  Anyone who takes 5 ****ing minutes to read a news story will see that it's not a political issue, but hardly anyone is interested in being intellectually honest. 

Oh..I agree with you it's not political. I'm saying that any issue gets made political even when it's not. There are lots of examples over the past 20 years or so.

Personally I think anyone from either side who does this is an asshole.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I think thats the right way to go about the whole thing. 5 million is chump change to them, plus, those hackers will never get a chance to spend that money.

They worry is that this promotes more of it. But that's going to be up to the response from our government. 

35 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Anyone who takes 5 ****ing minutes to read a news story...

Isolated the problem for you. The Simpsons dumbening has taken hold and we’re mostly a nation of morons that don’t read anything and don’t understand half of what little we do read. We’re all up on cat videos and celebrity gossip though.🙄

It’s going to be funny watching idiots trying to figure out how to fill their tanks from plastic bags or Rubbermaid tubs while I cruise through a mostly deserted gas station late next week when I really do need to fill up. If at all possible, I try to avoid subjecting myself and family to the whims of idiot human psychology. That said, it can be pretty damn difficult to stay prepared when our so-called capitalist system allows pseudo-monopolies that bottleneck consumer goods with gasoline refining/distribution being just one good example. The silver lining is that due to this incident, my constant pleading with the wife to stop driving on fumes all the time may have finally hit home.🙂

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I think thats the right way to go about the whole thing. 5 million is chump change to them, plus, those hackers will never get a chance to spend that money.

Maybe.... 

there’s a moral hazard argument to make but whatever. 

the real issue is that it’s common place for these hackers to accept your random money, “release” your data, and if you don’t completely clean up the mess you’re right back where you started in 2-3 months and they demand more money. 

it’s also common for them to accept your random and not release your data/devices. 

so hopefully this is a onetime issue. But paying the ransom is hardly a sure thing. 

5 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

Isolated the problem for you. The Simpsons dumbening has taken hold and we’re mostly a nation of morons that don’t read anything and don’t understand half of what little we do read. We’re all up on cat videos and celebrity gossip though.🙄

Well clearly the cats are the problem.

Kenny-at-gas-station2-602x365.jpg

And now there is no gas...my work here is done:

Kenny-at-gas-station-5-602x387.jpg

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Been watching the website that locates gas available nearby. Looks like stocks are rising.  Way less stations empty today. 

Given the pipeline supply hasn’t actually hit any stations yet, it’s almost like there was never actually a shortage. Kinda like the White House said. 

• Like 1