Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC: Colonial Pipeline blames ransomware for network shutdown

China

38 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

It’s going to be funny watching idiots trying to figure out how to fill their tanks from plastic bags or Rubbermaid tubs while I cruise through a mostly deserted gas station late next week when I really do need to fill up. If at all possible, I try to avoid subjecting myself and family to the whims of idiot human psychology. That said, it can be pretty damn difficult to stay prepared when our so-called capitalist system allows pseudo-monopolies that bottleneck consumer goods with gasoline refining/distribution being just one good example. The silver lining is that due to this incident, my constant pleading with the wife to stop driving on fumes all the time may have finally hit home.🙂

That's what I did yesterday.  Drove about 25 minutes out of town here to a gas station that I know of that's way off the beaten path.  Drove past the long lines at the local corner gas station where I prefer to fill up, also drove past a Sheetz that was a madhouse.  I've got a non-negotiable road trip that I need to take today and had to fill up yesterday.  

A guy that was next to me was saying that this was all unnecessary, that if people filled up like they normally do, this wouldn't be an issue...it's the idiots freaking out about a gas shortage that doesn't really exist who are making the problems.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

it's the idiots freaking out about a gas shortage that doesn't really exist who are making the problems.  

CHO-050117-HERD-Popup1.thumb.jpg.5ee4cedf5c44dbcefd0861bbe051c9ff.jpg

Ahhhh...America, a gift that just keeps giving:

Heard Mentality: yes

Heard Immunity: no

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I still find it funny that people will be like

”omg gas shortage. I have a little over half a tank. Better go find some before I’m out”

*drive around forever and not find any*

well now you have like quarter of a tank left. Seems like you thought this one out. 

• Haha 6

16 hours ago, ClaytoAli said:

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Darwin Award candidate, right there.  

Hummer destroyed in fire, one person hurt

609c1ef219959.image.jpg?resize=750,563

Citrus County Fire Rescue crews were dispatched to a vehicle fire in the late morning hours Wednesday, May 12, according to a CCFR spokeswoman.

The call came in at 10:52 a.m., reporting a Hummer was on fire at South Alabama Avenue and West Grover Cleveland Boulevard in Homosassa.

The occupant of the vehicle had just filled up gas cans at the Texaco Food Mart on West Grover Cleveland Boulevard, Marsh said. Engine 3 from Homosassa arrived on scene at 10:59, and the blaze extinguished at 11:09 a.m.

Fire crews found four 5-gallon containers filled with gasoline in the back of the vehicle.

609c1ef29b95d.image.jpg?resize=750,563

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 6

Word is they failed an audit a few years ago in spectacular fashion 

so maybe they weren’t doing things right. And maybe this was rooted in incompetence and poor decision making (like choosing higher profits over protecting what you’re in charge of)

34 minutes ago, tshile said:

Word is they failed an audit a few years ago in spectacular fashion 

so maybe they weren’t doing things right. And maybe this was rooted in incompetence and poor decision making (like choosing higher profits over protecting what you’re in charge of)

You have any idea what kind of group audits them by chance? And if that group can accept risk for them in the event something like that happens? Thats what I have been wondering. I know, random info that you probably wouldn't have but i thought i would ask anyway 

Edited by Llevron

33 minutes ago, Llevron said:

You have any idea what kind of group audits them by chance? And if that group can accept risk for them in the event something like that happens? Thats what I have been wondering. I know, random info that you probably wouldn't have but i thought i would ask anyway 

Federal regulations over utilities is way out of my wheelhouse. I only know what I posted :( sorry 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

poor decision making (like choosing higher profits over protecting what you’re in charge of)

This is a HUGE issue for private infrastructure. Did Texas in last winter too.  But we don’t need those overly burdensome Gov regulations. They will do the right thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So any word on when gas stations will actually have gas in VA?  Tomorrow would be good.  

Also, I’ve found that I apparently don’t know what shortage means.  I keep reading both: 1- there is no shortage.  2- gas stations are out of gas and deliveries have been interrupted.  I don’t see how both can be true at once.  

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

Also, I’ve found that I apparently don’t know what shortage means.  I keep reading both: 1- there is no shortage.  2- gas stations are out of gas and deliveries have been interrupted.  I don’t see how both can be true at once.  

Because there is no shortage of gas. There's a shortage of drivers to get it to the gas station.

There is also no shortage of greedy idiots that are trying to horde the gas...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xameil said:

Because there is no shortage of gas. There's a shortage of drivers to get it to the gas station.

There is also no shortage of greedy idiots that are trying to horde the gas...

That’s the first time I’ve heard that they lack drivers, but even if that’s so wouldn’t an inability to deliver fuel create a shortage?  Perhaps not a national shortage, but how is half or more gas stations being out of gas not a regional shortage?

25 minutes ago, Destino said:

So any word on when gas stations will actually have gas in VA?  Tomorrow would be good. 

I filled up this morning no problem.  No lines or anything.

25 minutes ago, Destino said:

I think mostly it's that there isn't a shortage, so much as there are a bunch of morons who expected there to be a shortage creating a temporary spike in demand.  There's enough gas for everyone to get what they need as usual, but there are a bunch of jackholes getting a bunch of gas they don't need.

35 minutes ago, Destino said:

That’s the first time I’ve heard that they lack drivers, but even if that’s so wouldn’t an inability to deliver fuel create a shortage?  Perhaps not a national shortage, but how is half or more gas stations being out of gas not a regional shortage?

Planet money did a segment in it. I referred to it earlier. 

basicalky when the pandemic hit demand for oil based fuels plummeted. At one point the price for a barrel of oil was -30$. 

well a side effect of no one wanting/needing gasoline is that the people that drive gasoline from place to place, have no work to do. 

many of the older ones retire. Called it a sign it was time to give it up. 

many found something else to haul. And they’re not coming back. 

add the lack of desire for a significant portion of the country to return to work, and it nets out at about a 40% (I believe) reduction in the driver pool. Which is obviously significant. 

Also the truck driving business has become a sham where people actually work their asses off and still owe someone money for the privilege of driving a truck

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/10/901110994/big-rigged

whole industry is messed up :( 

57 minutes ago, Destino said:

1- there is no shortage.  2- gas stations are out of gas and deliveries have been interrupted.  I don’t see how both can be true at once.  

I don’t k is who you’re hearing say what but maybe some people are really saying “there really isn’t a real shortage but supply is done and jackasses are filling up 200 gallon bladders in their truck bed that they have never used before and that’s why the gas stations are out” ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Fairfax Costco had them today.  The line was a little longer than usual, but not crazy.  Probably 4th of July weekend-ish line.  Friend of mine filled up the day before at a different Costco.

FWIW, they said supply will normalize in 4-5 days.

9 hours ago, Destino said:

Really? I thought it was mentioned in this thread several times about a truck driver shortage...I heard it on the news up here alot too.

As for would that constitute a shortage, well I think that's a matter of perspective, and how you want to define it. Personally, I wouldn't say it's a gas shortage since the gas is there, it's just not where it needs to be. The toilet paper issue was a shortage since it wasn't anywhere.