Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Dyami Brown WR, UNC

PCS

The other thing about Dyami and I mentioned it on the draft thread weeks back when I watched him.  I am surprised he doesn't get more hype for his run blocking.  He's fun to watch on that front.  He doesn't blow up defenders like Garcon did.   But he's so feisty on that front and will run far downfield to help spree a fellow receiver and running back.  When you see some of the big runs from Williams and Carter, often you see Dyami charging down the field and helping with a 2nd level block. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 7

Cris Collinsworth had Dyami rated a 1st rounder, among top 3 wide-outs in this draft:

As the Washington Football Team prepared to make the No. 82 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, the choice was not too complicated. North Carolina wide receiver Dyami Brown was still on the board, and that opportunity was too good to pass up.

Former NFL wide receiver and current analyst Cris Collinsworth agrees that Brown falling to Washington in the third round was the perfect scenario for the team. In fact, he couldn't believe that the pass-catcher was still on the board at all as Day 2 began.

“I had him in the first round," Collinsworth said on The Cris Collinsworth Podcast featuring Richard Sherman in an episode that featured head coach Ron Rivera. "I watched so much tape on him, my initial impulse was this guy belongs with the top three players," 

https://sports.yahoo.com/cris-collinsworth-ranked-dyami-brown-214516572.html

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

He has very standard NFL receiver speed (40 time). It’s not high end. He doesn’t seem to get a lot of separation, and one of his traits is coming down with jump balls (body control). So I’m not sure why he’s any more of a deep threat than any other receiver. I know his stats would indicate it, but that was college ball - a lot of different extenuating circumstances that won’t translate into pros.

But we needed another big outside legitimate receiver, and he’s a good prospect there nonetheless. So I’m fine with it. But I’m not expecting another Terry.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

He has very standard NFL receiver speed (40 time). It’s not high end. He doesn’t seem to get a lot of separation, and one of his traits is coming down with jump balls (body control). So I’m not sure why he’s any more of a deep threat than any other receiver. I know his stats would indicate it, but that was college ball - a lot of different extenuating circumstances that won’t translate into pros.

But we needed another big outside legitimate receiver, and he’s a good prospect there nonetheless. So I’m fine with it. But I’m not expecting another Terry.

Yeah I don't see him as another McLaurin. McLaurin is a legitimate blazer, he runs a 4.3 but we just don't see it often enough because our QBs have stunk. But remember the first Dallas game last year when he roasted Diggs? Or the debut in Philly? Scary Terry can legit fly.

Dyami Brown probably has more game speed than actual legit speed. I think his strengths might be more acceleration(i.e. he gets to his top speed faster)which allows him to get open and he has good body control to come down with 50/50 balls.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

This is a terrible take. Yes, McLaurin is faster than Brown. But did Stefan Diggs have a better 40 time? Can Diggs get deep?

Brown isn’t going to run away from the entire secondary like Waddle or Tyree Hill might. But, he’s GREAT at creating deep separation and he tracks the ball super well. Watch him get deep in Caleb Farley or against Clemson and tell me that his speed isn’t adequate. 

AND, we got him in the 3rd and are asking him to essentially be our #3 receiver. He’s stepping into a great situation where his talents exactly meet our needs and expectations won’t be unreasonably high. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

This is a terrible take. Yes, McLaurin is faster than Brown. But did Stefan Diggs have a better 40 time? Can Diggs get deep?

Brown isn’t going to run away from the entire secondary like Waddle or Tyree Hill might. But, he’s GREAT at creating deep separation and he tracks the ball super well. Watch him get deep in Caleb Farley or against Clemson and tell me that his speed isn’t adequate. 

AND, we got him in the 3rd and are asking him to essentially be our #3 receiver. He’s stepping into a great situation where his talents exactly meet our needs and expectations won’t be unreasonably high. 

You know who else was supposed to create deep separation and track the ball super well? Josh Doctson.

I didn't say his speed isn't inadequate. 'NFL standard' implies 'adequate'. It's just not 'elite'. Plus he has a limited/unpolished route tree.... and I didn't see many of his catches where he consistently separated much from defenders.

That in no way doesn't mean he can't produce. I'm sure he'll be given every opportunity to. But what I continually read is how Brown is supposed to address this team's lack of deep play threat...... and I haven't seen enough to make me 'certain' about that outcome. I'm hopeful.

3 hours ago, Die Hard said:

I get why you’d have this impression, but one thing you might want to key on when evaluating Dyami is how well he executes his double moves and head fakes while getting in close to the DB and attacking leverage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

I get why you’d have this impression, but one thing you might want to key on when evaluating Dyami is how well he executes his double moves and head fakes while getting in close to the DB and attacking leverage.

Thanks. Actually looks like the same move in both plays. It certainly created separation.

I guess it begs the question the quality of those opponents/CBs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Die Hard said:

I actually don’t think he IS more of a deep threat. 

He’s not a big play receiver. He’s also not a straight possession receiver. I have him as a deep ball possession receiver.

Meaning he can take a top off of a defense not with speed but with body control, awareness and in-air adjustments to defender actions. He’s not likely to catch one and go 80 yards from out running guys. But he’s a “throw the ball 30 yards in the air and watch this dude come down with it a good portion of the time and get tackled right there”.

He can also do typical possession receiver stuff underneath.

People keep saying they see DJax. I don’t see that at all with Dyami. He’s more versatile, he plays bigger, more to his frame and more possession minded than big play maker.

Of former Washington receivers he’s more Garçon that Jackson, in my opinion. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I actually don’t think he IS more of a deep threat. 

He’s not a big play receiver. He’s also not a straight possession receiver. I have him as a deep ball possession receiver.

Meaning he can take a top off of a defense not with speed but with body control, awareness and in-air adjustments to defender actions. He’s not likely to catch one and go 80 yards from out running guys. But he’s a “throw the ball 30 yards in the air and watch this dude come down with it a good portion of the time and get tackled right there”.

He can also do typical possession receiver stuff underneath.

People keep saying they see DJax. I don’t see that at all with Dyami. He’s more versatile, he plays bigger, more to his frame and more possession minded than big play maker.

Of former Washington receivers he’s more Garçon that Jackson, in my opinion. 

I don’t think this is unfair. Although I do think Brown has very good speed, great acceleration and route pacing. I think he’s going to catch some deep balls when open by 3 or 4 yards off a great route, and house them. He’s just not going to catch a short to medium ball and run away from everyone like Terry. 

Does anyone else here find this interview super cringey? Simms is terrible here. 

On 5/9/2021 at 6:03 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Top 3 is ridiculous, but its Collingworth so he may have.

Add that to Chris Simms saying he was the 3rd WR on his board.

Several former players seemed to be on the Dyami Brown move. I think players can often be great evaluators - they see who can play. 

WFT's Rivera and Mayhew seemed to have the impression that they were lucky to have Dyami still around. 

Maybe he wasn't the 3rd ranked wideout or a fringe 1st rounder like these two former players stated, but they could be right.

Simms loved his route-running. And yet, the seemingly big knocks on him were a limited route tree from the left side of the field and concentration drops. 

He very could be McLaurinesque. 

Edited by Silvernon
  • Like 1

I don't think that you can determine whether someone is a deep threat or not by solely looking at his 40 time. Brown understands very well how to set up cornerbacks on his go-routes and while his end speed might be nothing special, he has a really nice acceleration, great head fakes, subtle body fakes and he tracks the deep ball really well - which is almost equally important as having great speed. If you look at Stefon Diggs, Justin Jefferson or Calvin Ridley they all win regularly on deep routes and all of them ran their 40s in the same neighborhood as Brown. Heck, Michael Gallup has been one of the most consistent deep threats in the NFL in the last two years and he ran a 4.51. The key here is that they win on other routes as well and I feel strong about Brown having that ability as well.

Brown has a nice release and while he struggled some against press man he has the benefit of lining up on the opposite side of Terry. Last year they doubled or trippled Terry all the time so Brown will a lot of opportunities in 1 on 1s. And since Terry plays the X, Brown will get more space to work against cornerbacks because he won't line up on the line a lot. This is why I think he can be an effective deep threat.

Edited by Panninho
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BALLz said:

Is the Terry McLaurin draft thread to far back? Trying to see some of the initial reactions to drafting him but nothings coming up in the search.

Bumped it up for you. :)