Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Dyami Brown WR, UNC

PCS

23 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Dax is a MUCH better receiver, in every regard, than Brown & can play special teams. I frankly don’t see any reason to keep Brown. Practice squad, maybe. 

He's a 3rd round pick with elite speed.  He's going to have the football equivalent of "plot protection."  He is going to make the roster.  He might be the inactive receiver on gamedays until there is the inevitable injury.  But he's going to make the roster.  

Next season, if he doesn't improve, then he's competing for a roster spot.

But you can't coach speed.  And he's got it.  They'll try and "fix" him this year and see if they can get him to improve.  If they can't, they can't, and he'll be out of a job.

And while I am on a crusade against the term "reach" in the draft, he wasn't a "reach" in the respect that his measurables, the school he played at and production all justified a mid-round pick  (There are some which want to try and argue the 3rd round is a high pick, especially in the Wentz thread, because they want to say we traded 2 high picks for Wentz.  In a 7 round draft, the middle pick of the 3rd round is the EXACT MIDDLE of the draft.  (when you remove comp picks.)  So, it's the middle.

He was worth a middle round pick.  

He hasn't developed, but he still has the speed.  They're most likely going to give him another year to develop.  

1 hour ago, CobraCommander said:

So what’s the solution here? He can’t go straight down the sidelines, he can’t go through the middle. Jet sweeps and screens? He’s got speed.

Inactive on gamedays until he figures out how to do more and catch the ball.  And if he doesn't, he's going to be getting bad news exactly one year from Tuesday as he won't make the roster.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He's a 3rd round pick with elite speed.  He's going to have the football equivalent of "plot protection."  He is going to make the roster.  He might be the inactive receiver on gamedays until there is the inevitable injury.  But he's going to make the roster.  

Next season, if he doesn't improve, then he's competing for a roster spot.

But you can't coach speed.  And he's got it.  They'll try and "fix" him this year and see if they can get him to improve.  If they can't, they can't, and he'll be out of a job.

And while I am on a crusade against the term "reach" in the draft, he wasn't a "reach" in the respect that his measurables, the school he played at and production all justified a mid-round pick  (There are some which want to try and argue the 3rd round is a high pick, especially in the Wentz thread, because they want to say we traded 2 high picks for Wentz.  In a 7 round draft, the middle pick of the 3rd round is the EXACT MIDDLE of the draft.  (when you remove comp picks.)  So, it's the middle.

He hasn't developed, but he still has the speed.  They're most likely going to give him another year to develop.  

Inactive on gamedays until he figures out how to do more and catch the ball.  And if he doesn't, he's going to be getting bad news exactly one year from Tuesday as he won't make the roster.  

If he’s on the roster he’s going to see action at some point due to injuries, it’s all but guaranteed in a 17 week schedule with concussion protocols.

For me it’s up to the people who drafted him to play to his strengths. Having him take up a roster spot for a whole year just to get cut seems foolish.

How can he develop on the sidelines when his clear issue is contact? He’s not going to get over that in practice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

So what’s the solution here? He can’t go straight down the sidelines, he can’t go through the middle. Jet sweeps and screens? He’s got speed.

There's only one real solution to this...but we won't see it until next offseason because Ron and company selected him in the 3rd.  

17 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Cosmi is still a bit unproven.  And finding OL in the draft is not that hard, as are backup TEs such as Bates.  Davis?  Are we talking about the same Davis that still has BUST written all over him?  He has proven nothing.  Are you really using Milne as an example of solid drafting? Really? Those guys are a dime a dozen. I'm still looking for one impact player and it sure ain't on your list.   

And then we have the free agents they have signed.  Only way to describe that is sigh.  This is Ron's third season, can you really look at this roster and claim it is vastly better than the one he inherited?   

Yes, it's MASSIVELY better than the one he inherited. 

image.png.aa6d648ed595ac8f4531964e547f9a1b.png

I know that you are sour on everything the organization does, sour on Ron, etc.  And you overtly look for things to complain about.  

But you cannot look at those two roster comparisons and NOT say that the 2022 group is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the 2019 group.  It's probably even "good."  Is it championship caliber?  No.  But Ron did take over a 3-13 team.  

Some notes on the "grades":

** I took Trent Williams out of the equation, because he didn't play in 2019, and was not going to play for Ron either, so he's just a scratch from both.

- On the "push" for the DT, Allen and Payne are obviously the same. Mathis/Wise vs. MattyI/Settle, I think is a push, though it's very possible Mathis is better for what they want than either MI or Settle.  But I gave it a push.  

- The ONE position I gave the 2019 group the edge was guard.  Scherff and Flowers are better than Norwell and Turner/Schweitzer.  However, there's not damn way I would have paid Scherff what the Jags did on a long term deal.  

- At WR, I gave the 2022 a significant advantage even though the best receiver is the same, because it was "Terry and Nobody" in 2019.  Richardson was supposed to be the #2, but he was never healthy and was an awful signing.  Based on the fat he played in both pre-season games, and he's practicing every day, Samuel will contribute.  Dotson might be as good as Terry.  Sims bumps from being a starter to the 4th guy.  That's how much better the 2022 group is than the 2019 group.  

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I agree with you that he was worth a middle of the third round pick and wasn't a reach.   The only thing I will point out is that in a 7 round draft, the middle of the fourth round would be the exact middle of the draft (and given how compensatory picks don't start until the third round, the middle to late 4th round is the actual mid point of the draft--for example in 2021 there were 259 picks of which the 130th pick would have been the middle)

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Redwards said:

There's only one real solution to this...but we won't see it until next offseason because Ron and company selected him in the 3rd.  

It has nothing to do with where he was drafted.

It why he was drafted there and it's because he has elite speed and skill set and if he puts it together, he's a great asset.

• Like 1

Brown seems to have the speed and quickness that is always going to get him a second look by coaches, the thing is it has to eventually translate on the field.  The production has to be there.  It doesn't matter how he looks in practice or against the opponents third string defense.  He is going to get opportunities this season, especially now having a QB that can deliver the deep throws.  This is a big year for Brown, either way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Brown seems to have the speed and quickness that is always going to get him a second look by coaches, the thing is it has to eventually translate on the field.  The production has to be there.  It doesn't matter how he looks in practice or against the opponents third string defense.  He is going to get opportunities this season, especially now having a QB that can deliver the deep throws.  This is a big year for Brown, either way.

I'm not sure what opportunities he'll get. He's clearly the #4(at best, but I'm not sure I'd take him over Cam Sims who at least has made some big catches in meaningful games) WR and nowhere near as good as even Samuel or Dotson let alone McLaurin. Anytime he does see the field it'll be obvious passing downs and opposing D Coords will know he can only run limited routes and will plan accordingly.

19 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Cosmi is a legit NFL starter. That's a good pick.

Davis everyone and their mother has said since before the draft until now that he is raw and will need time to learn, so saying that he doesn't need that because he is already a bust is dip**** behavior.

BSJ is good, just have to worry about injuries

Bates was the top rated blocking TE in the entire league last year and showed ability when asked to catch. That's a very good starting inline blocking TE

WBK is going to be our starting DE, until Chase comes back

That's 4 or 5 starters in one draft. That's a homerun draft.

Adding good role players like Cheese, Milne and Forrest that made immediate impact on Teams and will be on the roster through their rookie deals at minimum is a great way to spend day 3.

Last years draft was the best draft that we've had in a long time. This year was also better than most and we got our starting WR, RB, maybe TE and QB2 and maybe he becomes a QB1 with limited picks.

There is no reason not to be happier with our current GM/scouting than we have been in 20+ years

and you still can't give me one single reason why you think Kyle Smith was any good. He left us and sat around for a while, before making a lateral move to Atlanta. If he was some kind of quality GM candidate don't you think Shanny or someone would have grabbed him.

Better yet. His Dad stopped working with us in 05. Give me 10 players that had good careers as starters in the 15 years he was with us since his dad left.

While I admire your passion this is a homer post.  Cosmi is solid, I'll give you that. But "very good" as you claimed?  Well as my example showed at this point in time he is not at the Very Good catagory, not even close.

We don't know about Davis. But you seem convinced he will be an impact player.  That has not happened yet so too early for you to spike the football there, to date he has not lived up to his draft status, not even close.  But you are right, he was drafted as a bit of a project. Which of course lead to the question why are they spending the 19th pick in the draft on a project?  We'll see on him but to date, well....

BSJ is a pick I really liked at the time. But to date there is nothing, I repeat nothing, that shows us that he will be a "good" starting CB. And he sure isn't there now, so again your claim that he is "good" is premature.

Finding a blocking TE in the middle rounds is just not that difficult.

Why are we even mentioning back of the roster players like Milne?  They have no impact, every team in the league has a Milne on their roster.  

Year 3 and to date not one impact player has been drafted, or signed as a FA for that matter, by this staff.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

While I admire your passion this is a homer post.  Cosmi is solid, I'll give you that. But "very good" as you claimed?  Well as my example showed at this point in time he is not at the Very Good catagory, not even close.

We don't know about Davis. But you seem convinced he will be an impact player.  That has not happened yet so too early for you to spike the football there, to date he has not lived up to his draft status, not even close.  But you are right, he was drafted as a bit of a project. Which of course lead to the question why are they spending the 14th pick in the draft on a project?  We'll see on him but to date, well....

BSJ is a pick I really liked at the time. But to date there is nothing, I repeat nothing, that shows us that he will be a "good" starting CB. And he sure isn't there now, so again your claim that he is "good" is premature.

Finding a blocking TE in the middle rounds is just not that difficult.

Why are we even mentioning back of the roster players like Milne?  They have no impact, every team in the league has a Milne on their roster.  

Year 3 and to date not one impact player has been drafted, or signed as a FA for that matter, by this staff.  

Okay and you still haven't mentioned one single reason as to why Kyle Smith was good, which was the entire point you wanted to make.

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Okay and you still haven't mentioned one single reason as to why Kyle Smith was good, which was the entire point you wanted to make.

No actually my point was this staff has not done well. A point you continued to ague so I have simply responded to your arguments.  

As for Smith as others had mentioned with Bruce and Dan (who torpedoed their first round pick by forcing Haskins, if not we could be talking about a hit by Kyle Smith) around it's hard to determine which were really Kyle's picks.  

What I do know if the best players on this team were here before RR took over personnel.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

No actually my point was this staff has not done well. A point you continued to ague so I have simply responded to your arguments.  

As for Smith as others had mentioned with Bruce and Dan (who torpedoed their first round pick by forcing Haskins, if not we could be talking about a hit by Kyle Smith) around it's hard to determine which were really Kyle's picks.  

What I do know if the best players on this team were here before RR took over personnel.  

"Ran off Kyle Smith who did a good job" is what you said.

Prove that he did a good job.

Ultimately we have no idea who's really responsible for what pick. For example I remember hearing how Jay Gruden stood on the table for Matt Ioanidis. And Scott Turner really wanted Antonio Gibson. etc. etc. I don't think its ever just one guy 100% responsible for every pick.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

"Ran off Kyle Smith who did a good job" is what you said.

Prove that he did a good job.

So now that it appears as if you have no rebuttal to my points on RR's roster moves you are going to keep hammering home this one?  As I already pointed out the best players on this roster were here before RR arrived.  As has been pointed out it's hard to know exactly how much control Smith had, and again Snyder stole his first round pick. But the fact remains the best players on this team, specifically but not limited to TM, and Allen, were picked when Smith was here.  

• Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

But the fact remains the best players on this team, specifically but not limited to TM, and Allen, were picked when Smith was here.  

Edited 2 minutes ago by Darrell Green Fan

But this ignores the fact that Riveras picks haven't had time to mature.

The 2020 draft was with Kyle here so all there is to judge of Rivera without Kyle is one year of rookies and nothing else.

Not anywhere near enough time has passed to judge Rivera without kyle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, redskinss said:

But this ignores the fact that Riveras picks haven't had time to mature.

The 2020 draft was with Kyle here so all there is to judge of Rivera without Kyle is one year of rookies and nothing else.

Not anywhere near enough time has passed to judge Rivera without kyle.

Rivera was in control in 2020. Those were his picks.

Just to be funny but, one day we might find out that Kyle Smith really wanted Herbert but Rivera was insistent on Young lol. Because nobody really knows. What we do know is that Rivera was the boss. Just like previously Bumbling Bruce was the boss, with little Danny sitting on his shoulder at times. 

2 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Rivera was in control in 2020. Those were his picks.

Debatable. 

This is the first draft under new head coach Ron Rivera, who will be working closely with Vice President of Player Personnel Kyle Smith to ensure the Redskins make the most of the three-day event.

"We're really excited to move forward," Smith said. "We've gotten our group of guys, we've gone through the process, we've talked to the coaches. We're just ready to roll now."

10 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Not really sure how this actual fact is debatable. He was literally put in charge of everything because Dan had to run for cover. 

Because we have no idea how much influence Kyle had on those picks, just because Rivera was in charge it doesn't mean he didn't use Kyle's work to shape that draft. 

But even still, if you want to claim Rivera kept Kyle until after the draft just because he liked his company then its still only 3 drafts, only two of which have a single regular season snap.

It's stands to reason that the guys working on their second contracts would be the best of the bunch.

I stand by my opinion that's its too early to judge Riveras picks versus Kyle's before him.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It why he was drafted there and it's because he has elite speed and skill set and if he puts it together, he's a great asset.

Dyami doesn't have " elite " speed. He ran a 4.45 40 yard dash at his pro day. Just for comparison, our 260 pound dlineman Sweat ran a 4.41 electronic timed 40 at the combine. I'm not saying DBrown is slow or anything but his speed isn't close to elite. That's not the problem obviously. The problem is this is his 2nd season and he didn't flash in the preseason games at all. Versus 2nd, 3rd string, and soon to be mcdonald cashiers. It's a bit of a disappointment. I expect Jahan Dotson to blow Dyami away this year, statistically.

6 hours ago, philibusters said:

I agree with you that he was worth a middle of the third round pick and wasn't a reach.   The only thing I will point out is that in a 7 round draft, the middle of the fourth round would be the exact middle of the draft (and given how compensatory picks don't start until the third round, the middle to late 4th round is the actual mid point of the draft--for example in 2021 there were 259 picks of which the 130th pick would have been the middle)

Ok, fine.  As I said, the middle of the draft absent comp picks is the middle of the third.  Throw in the comp picks, it's middle of the 4th.  

The point still holds, the 3rd round is in the middle of the draft.

Early Round picks are 1&2, mid round pick are 3-5, and later are 6-7.   That's math. 

4 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Jon Allen, Terry McLaurin.  Who else?  I'll give you Payne and Sweat. That's 4. 

Who else?

Just now, SkinsFTW said:

That would be true if the draft was 5 rounds, but it isn't.

Isn't 3.5 + 3.5 = 7?

The middle of the draft, if it was 5 rounds, would be midway through the 2nd round, because 2.5 + 2.5 = 5.  

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

There's a bunch of guys who play the position with speed.   It isn't the unicorn that it once was in a wideout.  And if you can't put things together, that speed doesn't help you.  Dyami hasn't put squat together so far.  That's just a fact.

Not sure what elite skill set you're referring to regarding Dyami.  (I, in no way mean that in an insulting/combative way; I'm just genuinely curious.)  I said during the season last year that he was having issues with his routes and getting off the LOS clean, and that he'd need to really step that up this coming year.  He really didn't take the consistent next step this preseason.   He has always been just an OK pass catcher; the guy is meh at running routes, and now it's very apparent he's afraid to do the dirty work and take a solid lick in order to haul in an important pass.  

He's being outworked by just about every receiver on this roster.  (I have absolutely nothing against the guy, but he just is, and it's apparent to everyone.)  If it's all about production and promise, then it's a simple argument that Dyami should be the last receiver we reach for in the toolbox this year if indeed we're keeping him.  Being a third rounder absolutely helps him make this team.  If he had been a 5th or lower, he's cut this year.  I have zero doubt about that.

Edited by Redwards