Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Sam Cosmi, OT Texas

zCommander

Listening to Rivera on 980 now

When asked about Cosmi.  He agreed that he has a high ceiling.  He plays with a good base, is a good physical player, plays with emotion and heart.  He heeds to clean up his footwork and hand placement, and the way he carries his hands.  He struggles with some of the small details but they will work with him on it and fix it. 

• Like 4

University of Texas graduate here.  I witnessed every snap of Cosmi’s collegiate career and one thing people don’t talk enough about is how relatively new he is at playing OT.  Cosmi was a tight end in high school and is still learning how to play tackle.  The Texas staff offered him a scholarship because they saw what NFL scouts see — upside.  His development was stunted because he had to navigate through 3 different OL coaches and offensive schemes while at Texas.  He also switched from RT to LT his third year. The new Texas OL coach was hired from Alabama and the O-line reportedly improved dramatically over spring practice.  As a result, many observers think Cosmi could have been molded into a Top 10 pick if he had returned for another season.  That being said, he’s incredibly athletic and strong at the point of attack.  Cosmi managed to perform at a high level in college despite still learning how to play OT.

Edited by SpiderY2Banana
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 16

1 minute ago, SpiderY2Banana said:

University of Texas graduate here.  I witnessed every snap of Cosmi’s collegiate career and one thing people don’t talk enough about is how relatively new he is at playing OT.  Cosmi was a tight end in high school and is still learning how to play the position.  The Texas staff offered him a scholarship because they saw what NFL scouts see — upside.  His development was stunted because he had to navigate through 3 different OL coaches and offensive schemes while at Texas.  He also switched from RT to LT his third year. The new Texas OL coach was hired from Alabama and the O-line reportedly improved dramatically over spring practice.  As a result, many observers think Cosmi could have been molded into a Top 10 pick if he had returned for another season.  That being said, he’s incredibly athletic and strong at the point of attack.  Cosmi managed to perform at a high level in college despite still learning how to play OT.

Now that’s a world class first post on the forum. 

Welcome!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SpiderY2Banana said:

University of Texas graduate here.  I witnessed every snap of Cosmi’s collegiate career and one thing people don’t talk enough about is how relatively new he is at playing OT.  Cosmi was a tight end in high school and is still learning how to play tackle.  The Texas staff offered him a scholarship because they saw what NFL scouts see — upside.  His development was stunted because he had to navigate through 3 different OL coaches and offensive schemes while at Texas.  He also switched from RT to LT his third year. The new Texas OL coach was hired from Alabama and the O-line reportedly improved dramatically over spring practice.  As a result, many observers think Cosmi could have been molded into a Top 10 pick if he had returned for another season.  That being said, he’s incredibly athletic and strong at the point of attack.  Cosmi managed to perform at a high level in college despite still learning how to play OT.

Thank you for the nice write-up.

I just have this question about him - let's say someone else on the team develops into our starting LT, could he potentially become or convert to a full-time TE, considering he has some of those skills ? Or even part-time, in special packages

• Like 1

Malapropismic -

I can envision Cosmi as a tackle-eligible or TE in certain packages.  He’s simply outgrown the TE position to be much of a pass catching threat.  If you care to see him catch a TD pass, search for a video of him catching a throw back  from Ehlinger vs. West Virgina.  You’ll see how agile Cosmi is as he rumbles down the sideline for the score. 
https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/27775200

Edited by SpiderY2Banana
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, SpiderY2Banana said:

Malapropismic -

I can envision Cosmi as a tackle-eligible or TE in certain packages.  He’s simply outgrown the TE position to be much of a pass catching threat.  If you care to see him catch a TD pass, search for a video of him catching a throw back  from Ehlinger vs. West Virgina.  You’ll see how agile Cosmi is as he rumbles down the sideline for the score. 
https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/27775200

You have sparked my imagination on two and 3 TE sets we could use Cosmi in on short yardage situations. Our JUMBO package may have just gotten much more creative. Thanks for the info.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

If cosmi ends up anywhere other than LT it’s a serious indictment on our coaching staff IMO

this dude has ELITE athletic gifts to make up for any arm length issues, and a work ethic to match. 

it may not be starting year 1, game 1, but I see great things on the left side 

That's basically where I'm at. 

You need longer arms for the slower feet. 

If you have the athleticism, there is a threshold but it's not imperative to have elite length. They obviously think they can improve his hand use to compensate. 

Trent Williams has 34 25

Joe Thomas has 33.75

Sam Cosmi has 33

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He is a good fit.  I think we're going to work more verticality into the passing game this year though.  It suits the style of QB better, and Fitzpatrick isn't a runner.  Cosmi is going to have to do a lot of traditional vertical set edge blocking for a standard set of drops if he plays LT this year.  And I think he can get reliable enough to do it.  Maybe not as a day 1 starter at LT, but I don't think he'll ride the bench for long.  I also think he might be able to start day 1 at LG.

He's a really good fit for our run game.  He's a classic ZBS OL.  He even has decent cut block technique for a young OL.  Run blocking is where I think he'd be a good day one contributor, and he has the athleticism to eventually do high difficulty movement blocks like we give to Scherff.

Stevemcqueen, given that you are huge fan of Cosmi and had an affinity with Davis Mills, would you  have taken Cosmi over Mills with our 2nd rounder?

In a way I think we should actually be a bit thankful for Cosmi's technical issues that need to be fixed. If his technique was outstanding he would have been way out of our reach and potentially would have unseated Sewell for the top OT spot.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Stevemcqueen, given that you are huge fan of Cosmi and had an affinity with Davis Mills, would you  have taken Cosmi over Mills with our 2nd rounder?

I dunno about Mr. McQueen, but I would have been absolutely sick to my stomach if WFT had taken Mills with Cosmi still on the board. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Yes.  In the moment, Cosmi was the only one of my second round favorites left at 51 other than Owusu-Koromoah, I absolutely would have drafted Cosmi if I'd been Rivera.  If Bateman, Rondale, Moehrig, or Samuel had still been available, then I would have had a tough decision to make.  None were so that would have been the easiest pick in the draft for me.  The reason I wouldn't have picked Owusu-Koromoah is because I wouldn't double up on LB with our first two picks.  I wouldn't put them in a position where one's success requires the other's failure.  But if we'd gone a different direction at 19, then I would have considered Owusu-Koromoah.  For instance, a Darrisaw pick at 19 means I probably don't pick Cosmi at 51 for the same reason I wouldn't pick Owusu-Koromoah after drafting Davis.

All in all, I'm glad the way our first two picks worked out.  Darrisaw/Owusu-Koromoah would have made me happy too, but this way we get two healthy players who have even more athletic potential than the other.

What I would have done to target Mills would be trading a third and fourth to go up and get him.  That package could have gotten us a mid second pick, I think I could get a late second or beginning of the third round pick by trading the 5th instead of the 4th.  After Trask went, I think I would have called Jacksonville to get 65 for Mills.  Moving up 9 spots probably only costs us the fifth in that scenario, which would have traded St. Juste and Forrest for Mills.  I can live with that.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mistertim said:

In a way I think we should actually be a bit thankful for Cosmi's technical issues that need to be fixed. If his technique was outstanding he would have been way out of our reach and potentially would have unseated Sewell for the top OT spot.

Sewell is a generational prospect at OL and, frankly, people forgot how good he was because he opted out.  In 2019 he was pretty much an equivalent player and talent to Chase Young, and those two plus Burrow were the clear cut best players in college football that year.  And he was only 19.  If he had played this season, he would have dominated and pushed to go #2 overall like Chase did the year before.  He's in that once in a decade strata with guys like Joe Thomas and Orlando Pace.  I love Cosmi, but there is no way he could be as good a prospect as Sewell or get picked in front of him.  Sewell is a historic talent.

Cosmi is better than quite a few of the first round OLs who've been picked in the last decade though.  Let's say he'd been clean and teams were confident in the translation of his pass-pro--I think he'd have been a Taylor Lewan caliber prospect and gone in the teens.  For much of the season I was kind of thinking of him as a Taylor Decker caliber athlete/prospect.  Then he blew my mind with his workouts and I realized I'd been comparing him to the wrong Taylor.  He's a better prospect than Decker and even fairly good OTs like McGlinchey and Andrus Peat and Jonah Williams and Kolton Miller.  And by God he is such a better prospect than some of the scrubby ass reaches we've seen like Ja'Wuan James, Garrett Bolles, Tytus Howard, Kaleb McGary, and Isaiah freaking Wilson.  We got lucky.  Teams have been reaching like crazy for OTs in the first round and we had a 99th percentile athlete fall into our laps in the second.

• Like 4

If you had told me we were going to end up getting Sam Cosmi in the second round of 2021 back when we dealt Trent, I would have definitely chilled out about that trade.  This was a graceful recovery from an ugly situation.

The cherry on top will be if St. Juste turns into a stud and thus we got our LT replacement and a high quality outside corner--young and cheap--without being held hostage by Trent.

• Like 2

I didn’t really delve into Cosmi pre draft, think I just assumed he wouldn’t be our pick as he’d fall between the cracks of our first and second round picks. However, I am all over this selection. What a pick up. Absolute potential to start day 1 at LT. 

We got high ceiling prospects at LT and LB. better still, they appear great workers and mature/ready to take on the challenges of being a pro player. That’s a winning draft to me.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mistertim said:

No he wouldn’t have. Sewell is surreal. 

Darrisaw/Leatherwood? Absolutely.

But Sewell/Slater would have been tough to pass.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

No he wouldn’t have. Sewell is surreal. 

Darrisaw/Leatherwood? Absolutely.

But Sewell/Slater would have been tough to pass.

Yeah Sewell is amazing. I was mostly thinking that in terms of him not having a 2020. Cosmi had an insane RAS (higher than Sewell) and if he had superb technique I'm wondering if some teams might have thought that Cosmi was the better option because they had 2020 tape on him.

The Leatherwood pick is still mystifying to me. How a team could watch him get manhandled at the Senior Bowl and then take him at 17 overall is beyond me. Maybe they really loved his athleticism and saw the issues he had there as things they could coach up.

Edited by mistertim

I see Cosmi seriously benefitting from pro level nutrition/training/coaching, maybe adding some muscle mass and getting schooled by our D front. Athleticism and "want to" are there, he's got something good to build on, let's see where he's at by Halloween. 

LB in the 1st, LT in the 2nd? I'm good

On 5/3/2021 at 6:30 PM, Silvernon said:

That's basically where I'm at. 

You need longer arms for the slower feet. 

If you have the athleticism, there is a threshold but it's not imperative to have elite length. They obviously think they can improove his hand use to compensate. 

Trent Williams has 34 25

Joe Thomas has 33.75

Sam Cosmi has 33

3 hours ago, MusicCitySkin said:

I loved this when I first saw it and I still do, but I think it's funny when you find out who #1 is on that list:

1989-Sports-Illustrated-TONY-MANDARICH-M

I'm not at all saying this is an indictment of Cosmi, for the record.

So basically if we leave out guys who were pounding 'roids like they were beers, Cosmi is #1

On 5/3/2021 at 5:31 PM, Warhead36 said:

Just gotta be patient with him. Remember Morgan Moses stunk his rookie year too.

Yeah, I suspect Cosmi won't start until next year.

Moses was, I believe, on IR his rookie year. One of the few times we drafted a pre-injured player that really worked out for us. As I recall, he had been a projected 1st rounder and suffered a major injury in his senior year, which is why he fell to the 3rd. We had a chance to draft Bitonio in the 2nd, but he also had injury questions, so we traded out of the 2nd round for 2 3rds, which we used on Moses and Long.