Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 NFL Draft Day Thread

TK
Message added by TK,

1223355385_draftpicks2021.jpeg.c39ad75f53563c858124413250ea8c49.jpeg

5 minutes ago, UKskins said:

If Moehrig is gone, how would people feel if  we dropped the pick on Tufanga out of USC? SS but has the tools to play FS. Lacks elite speed which seems to be the major knock on him, but he's really fun to watch. Has a bit of Sean Taylor-esque violence to his hits.

I like Tufanga, but we'd need to be more of a 2 high, 2 man team for him to excel imo. We want more of a single High Safety for our cover 1 and blitz packages, I think.

3 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I wish zaven had still been on the board, bc I wonder if RR takes jamin over ZC.   

Honestly I think the background may have given Jamin the bump over any other prospect. You can tell how important that it is to Rivera.

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

See this strikes me as fantasy. Fitzmagic has been playing since the days of Patrick Ramsey, back when I was still in my twenties (I'm 46 now). His profile is what it is, he's a gambler that is good for 5 TD days, and 4 pick days, he's good for heroic comebacks, and season killing picks, he's basically a more confident, but just as erratic Cousins, but with inferior overall talent, and way more confidence and probably intelligence. He also has had seemingly all of his seasons play out the same way: gets hot for a while, and cools down fast as defenses get used to the tape of what he does. 

We'll see how he does, but he's 38, and not a reliable QB. That's why he's never stuck in any one place very long at all. Enjoy the ride, but it's true, there are very few QB rooms as bad as ours, maybe Pittsburgh, if Ben Roth's arm is truly dead, Houston without Watson, just not a lot. We are not contenders, PERIOD, believing we are w/our QB's is absurd.

I will say that our defense is just good enough to keep us in any race, but our QB's are bad enough to insure we don't win enough of them to matter. 

I don't really disagree about your general take on Fitzpatrick, I am just saying this one year, the way he has been trending and the way he is different from what we had last year actually dovetails into what we do well.  That is, the defense can help scribble over the bad turnovers that will surely see an uptick, and we get to see what the pass catchers look like with a fearless thrower and the running game looks like with more downfield respect.  Maybe he regresses and maybe our WR's don't win enough, not saying that isn't possible.  I just think Fitzpatrick's more boom or bust brand of mediocre is better for us to showcase ourselves than last years brand, and make the case to FA QB's (or, traded QB's who want to name their options) that we can win now.

13 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

I don't really disagree about your general take on Fitzpatrick, I am just saying this one year, the way he has been trending and the way he is different from what we had last year actually dovetails into what we do well.  That is, the defense can help scribble over the bad turnovers that will surely see an uptick, and we get to see what the pass catchers look like with a fearless thrower and the running game looks like with more downfield respect.  Maybe he regresses and maybe our WR's don't win enough, not saying that isn't possible.  I just think Fitzpatrick's more boom or bust brand of mediocre is better for us to showcase ourselves than last years brand, and make the case to FA QB's (or, traded QB's who want to name their options) that we can win now.

I agree. Last year I thought was perfect to have a (what should have been) low turnover rate, mistake-free QB like Alex to not put too much pressure on a young defense until they learned how to gel and take over games. Now that they have, and they have all the swagger and confidence in the world, it makes way more sense to have an old fashioned boom or bust gunslinger back there. 

38 minutes ago, UKskins said:

If Moehrig is gone, how would people feel if  we dropped the pick on Tufanga out of USC? SS but has the tools to play FS. Lacks elite speed which seems to be the major knock on him, but he's really fun to watch. Has a bit of Sean Taylor-esque violence to his hits.

No thanks. We need a FS. A real one. Not another guy in the SS mold.

I am a big Jevonte Williams guy.  Big enough to take the inevitable arrows that come from touting a RB early. :ols:  But yeah I think Najee, Etienne and Javonte are going to be stars.  And a clear peg up ahead of the next guys, among them one of my guys, Michael Carter whom I love.  But I wouldn't touch Carter or Sermon until the third. 

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I get the impression Mills doesn’t make the third. Not sure I’d be a fan, but he has ‘something’. 

I’m still wanting BPA today.

He may not and don't be shocked if we were to pull the trigger on him in the 2nd.  Too early for me but it could happen.  

Him and wallace are my favorite contested catch guys in the draft.  He's tailor made for Fitzpatrick's style. 

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

He may not and don't be shocked if we were to pull the trigger on him in the 2nd.  Too early for me but it could happen.  

I'd be surprised.  Keim/Finlay were talking about trading up both didn't think they would at least in the 2nd.  Also Keim is all of a sudden backing off some on the QBs saying now it wouldn't surprise him if they don't take one and they won't force it in the draft. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Him and wallace are my favorite contested catch guys in the draft.  He's tailor made for Fitzpatrick's style. 

I'd be surprised.  Keim/Finlay were talking about trading up both didn't think they would at least in the 2nd.  Also Keim is all of a sudden backing off some on the QBs saying now it wouldn't surprise him if they don't take one and they won't force it in the draft. 

RR keeps things close to his vest.  It not, so be it.  :)

37 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Ron said that Jamin was the team's top ranked defensive player. So, I would presume the answer is yes. 

I misunderstood, I thought he had said jamin was the top rated available defensive player when they were on the clock.  Thanks.

I was happy JOK was still there, to give them a choice between the two.  If JOK had gotten picked and zaven was gone, a lot of us would probably have been left wondering if JD was a panic pick after the two guys they really wanted were gone.

Thank God, I thought the exact same thing with Bolton. His athletic profile is not what you want it to be, and he would be an easy target to pick on with this defense. 

Bolton to me is a 4th round type LB. Does he have good football IQ? Yes, but that is only half of the puzzle that needs to be completed. 

Hes a prime candidate that people will say "how is this guy still available on day 3??" HB Blades type vibes with him. 

6 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I misunderstood, I thought he had said jamin was the top rated available defensive player when they were on the clock.  Thanks.

I was happy JOK was still there, to give them a choice between the two.  If JOK had gotten picked and zaven was gone, a lot of us would probably have been left wondering if JD was a panic pick after the two guys they really wanted were gone.

He wasn’t totally clear. I read it as Davis was the top DEF player on their board when they picked (like you did).  I have a hard time believing they had him higher than Horn/Surtain. 

36 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am a big Jevonte Williams guy.  Big enough to take the inevitable arrows that come from touting a RB early. :ols:  But yeah I think Najee, Etienne and Javonte are going to be stars.  And a clear peg up ahead of the next guys, among them one of my guys, Michael Carter whom I love.  But I wouldn't touch Carter or Sermon until the third. 

You do agree that this take is clinically insane though right? Nothing Williams did approached Chubb's freshman pre-injury season at Georgia, McCaffrey was basically the best two way college RB since Faulk, Kamara was an absolute freak of nature as a pro though not as a collegian, and Bell was a once in a generation talent at his approach as well. To compare him to those guys in terms of just comps, is so <expletive> stupid it beggars belief, and for the record, I like Williams more than Harris (due to age, he's two years younger) and a lot in general, but this is like saying, Justin Field's is as if Steve Young, Michael Vick, Lamar Jackson, and Joe Montana went into burning man Orgy tent, and out came Ohio State's future stud QB an hour later. It's absurd. Feels like an Onion sports piece. 

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Now that we managed to skirt around the Ruggs pothole of this draft (Thank You Giants), we can focus on WR's that drop and are as good as any not named Chase like Marshall and Rondale Moore. 

Archived