Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

6 minutes ago, The Rook said:

Rivera mentioned that there were several "other calls" on inquiry of trading before they selected Dotson.  I would sure like to know the other teams AND what the offers were.  I think I heard GB and Dallas rumored.

When I was doing all those draft simulations, I had some crazy trading like that. :806:

:229:The Rook 

The PFF guy on with Kevin Sheehan this morning surmised it was Green Bay #22 and Kansas City #21 who would have taken him and it was a risk to go down again with another team.

• Like 1

This team hasn't been bad at drafting and heck they pulled this off (top 10 ranking) with our dummy owner interjecting himself on some picks that have grossly backfired.  You take the Dan idiotic interference with the draft, I'd think they'd be maybe even top 5.  their problem has been simple but with deep implications: QB, QB, QB, QB.   You can nail your share of picks but if you don't have the QB it doesn't make a major impact. 

Actual NFL scouts who are interviewed by Bob McGinn, had most of the Commanders picks ranked pretty high, and higher than some of the mock drafters.   McGinn's top 100, purely picked by NFL scouts, tend to beat the mock drafters in a typical draft as to predicting what actually happens on draft day.

Standig talking to personnel executives mostly got good feedback too for this draft.   I was listening to a PFF guy on 980 who liked most of their picks as well. 

I am as entertained by Mel Kiper or Brugler or name that dude that does mock drafts as anyone.  But they aren't NFL Greek Evaluation Gods.    IMO they aren't smarter than NFL scouts and if they were they'd be in the wrong business becuase they likely can be making a lot more running an NFL team.

As Keim joked about in his podcast, if you want to get a high draft grade from the mock draft media its not hard to do -- all you got to do is run with their consensus board versus your own board.  But teams don't do that for obvious reasons. 

But even if I were obsessed with the mock draft media, you can find some who like everyone of their picks.  Maybe Kiper thinks Mathis is a reach.  But McShay loved it.  Maybe Nystrom thinks Robinson is the 8th best back in the draft as he said in a podcast i listened to but on the other hand McGinn's scouts ranked him 4th.  The PFF guy on the radio today was a big fan, he actually thinks Robinson is likely better than Gibson. 

If its all about finding validation for your picks from the mock draft media, you can find it, its not hard.  Personally I don't care.  

Some say Dotson is too rich at 16, some say not.  Most agree, including the PFF guy on 980 today that if we traded back we'd have lost Dotson, hearing that KC really liked him and GB, too.  And the PFF guy really dug Dotson and liked the pick.

So if they think Dotson >> Burks, they aren't exactly on an island.  Among other things, some of the PFF guys weren't high on Burks, they thought he was a raw route runner.  Some rumors out there questioning his work ethic.  And his 11 Wonderlic probably doesn't help if people already have questions about him developing as a route runner. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 4.54.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 4.54.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 5.01.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 5.02.01 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

On 5/4/2022 at 9:04 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

But, but, but , but, Kiper and some others said he lands in the 20s so they were terrible for taking him 5-6 picks or so earlier. :ols:

Both arguments can be true. My issue with what they did is more about underrating Burks, and Moore, and not prioritizing Williams more. I like Dotson fine, really like the comps I hear (Lockett as what he probably is if he hits, Hilton as a ceiling, and then the bust risk), but I do think that two things are true, hell maybe three:

1.) He was a reach at #16

2.) Like most teams, he was in a tier we had before a fall off, many teams feared Burks was an N'Keal Harry clone (lazy to me, but I get it), some may be worried about Skyy Moore's competition, so if we really didn't like Burks or Moore as 1st round caliber talent, or fits (I could see the fit issue with Burks, he's too similar to other guys we already have in my view, not so much see the issue with Moore since he does the same things to me that Dotson does, but better), then wanting to just not risk a second tier drop after we lost out on Hamilton, Olave and J. Williams. 

3.) No matter how we may feel one way or the other, it does at least seem like, for now, Dotson is probably gonna look like a hit after a year or two, not at the McLaurin level, probably more production wise like a Tyler Lockett or a Darrell Jackson type lol, why two seahawks I don't know, but for me anyway, I see the teams reasoning fine, and I also see the critics reasoning. I think there's a reasonable side for both.

Now we just see how it plays out. My guess is that Dotson turns into one of those guys that gives you 64-75-900 to 1100 and like 6 TD's type guy, just projecting out with counting stats, I think he becomes that sorta thing. Could also be a bust. We'll see. But I like him well enough, and I've definitely been a big fan of the weird athlete factory Penn State products have been at WR and TE and RB in recent years. Lots of hits. 

Saquon Barkley

Miles Sanders

Chris Godwin

KJ Hamler

DaeSean Hamilton

J. Dotson

Pat Friermuth

Mike Gesicki

Some interesting guys produced in the '17-'21 era. Hamilton didn't hit, but supposedly he behaved like an idiot, I think with Denver, and eventually they replaced him and moved on, But Godwin, Hamler, Dotson, and Gesicki were all plenty fast, same with Barkley and Sanders, Dotson's size adjusted 40 is kind of crappy (you get punished for being small and thin and not breaking the 4.40 barrier basically), but it is interesting, they've done a good job of developing guys that are at least athletic enough for the next level, Dotson looks no different in that sense though his agility seems a bit sketchy at best. We'll see, it is interesting, explosion and 40 scores put him basically as a mediocre athlete. The good news is that while those scores seem to correlate a great deal to future success for RB's and TE's, it's virtually irrelevant with receivers, with breakout age, draft capital and market share #'s mattering more.

Anyway, I think he'll be fine, a good solid WR for us, but not a difference maker in the McLaurin sense and that's fine. I liked him a lot, but for me I had him behind 6 other guys.

1.Wilson

2.London

3.J. Williams

4.T. Burks

5. Skyy Moore

6a

6b

Pick between Olave and Dotson, I prefer Dotson a smidge, mostly because he could be had cheaper, I think we would have gotten him no matter what so long as we kept in front of a couple of teams that picked before around 22, whereas I think Olave was always going somewhere in the top 15 or so, so Dotson was more attractive to me, especially consider we could get him and some extra picks, or just Olave alone. 

39 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Both arguments can be true. My issue with what they did is more about underrating Burks, and Moore, and not prioritizing Williams more. I like Dotson fine, really like the comps I hear (Lockett as what he probably is if he hits, Hilton as a ceiling, and then the bust risk), but I do think that two things are true, hell maybe three:

I thought I liked Skyy Moore more than most.  You had him even higher.  You having Moore above Dotson wouldn't be the draft consensus if we care about that and I don't.  But its cool that you saw it differently, I hate just echoing the mock draft chamber as if they are all geniuses.   As for Burks there were multiple red flags about him that may or may not be borne out, will see.  

But the bottom line is they need to have conviction in their own board.  Not my board.  Not your board.  Not Kiper or name whomever.  So playing off of that....

Some don't see Dotson as reach, some do see him as a reach.  He's only a reach if you believe in name that mock draft being more relevant to how the NFL sees Dotson than your own board but even for those who saw it as a reach, why stop yourself from taking what you like and risking losing that player?    

The rap from the beat guys who cover the team is they saw Dotson in part of a tier 1 WR group and after him, there was a drop off.  If that's what they believe, to me that's fine, they shouldn't give a rats behind if their belief isn't shared by the majority of the draft media.  And the proof of whether they got it right or wrong is detemined by how it plays out.  So will see.

As for Dotson as a prospect, I think he will be good to very good, arguably the best hands in this class. He's good at getting open on all three levels.  High intangibles, good dude. 

I recall you being big into breakout age.  Dotson's breakout age is 19.  Moore and Burks was 20.  i like Skyy Moore better as a YAC guy than Dotson, I like Dotson more as a deep threat.

Cooley isn't perfect in his evaluations but he's had a really good run.  So its a good sign for me that he digs him.  Cooley is typically more cynical than positive 

• Like 4

I don't get this feeling often but I think we will look back at this draft and it go down as not necessarily our best ever but one that pushes this team over the hump.

At minimum we will have the first 4 players playing over 50% of snaps. That's the floor. That alone will make it better than most teams drafts. And it can go from solid to great if 1 of the 2 final picks hit. One of the best in franchise history if Howell develops into a starter.

Truth of the matter we won't know whether or not someone is better or worse until they step on the field. I bet most teams wish they taken mclaurin deebo Metcalf Lockett etc etc in the first rounds. Some 7th rounders are actually better than 1sts...some 1sts should of been udfa. I'm one who is mad that we passed on Dean for Mathis. We will see though. 

• Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Truth of the matter we won't know whether or not someone is better or worse until they step on the field. I bet most teams wish they taken mclaurin deebo Metcalf Lockett etc etc in the first rounds. Some 7th rounders are actually better than 1sts...some 1sts should of been udfa. I'm one who is mad that we passed on Dean for Mathis. We will see though. 

That's my only question mark on the draft. If we see a ton of beast MLBs breakout from this class and Sam Howell doesn't develop into anything I'll be a little pissed. It was one of my main wants in the draft. 

Ahhhhhhh, this just in.  Brian Robinson Jr, is going to be good.  I just watched a few of his highlights from Bama this past year.  He has great balance and quick feet in the hole, sneaky quick fast, with a lot of power.  I think he has a very good chance to being the best RB of this class at the next level.  the mor time passes by, the more I really like the job RR & CO did to improve this team.  

Its amazing how in the moment what you think and then when you say.  Just take time, really evaluate without the aid of adrenalin, and it lends such a different prospective.  If Wentz has the same year as last year, we will be right there for the division.  

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, sebestian said:

Ahhhhhhh, this just in.  Brian Robinson Jr, is going to be good.  I just watched a few of his highlights from Bama this past year.  He has great balance and quick feet in the hole, sneaky quick fast, with a lot of power.  I think he has a very good chance to being the best RB of this class at the next level.  the mor time passes by, the more I really like the job RR & CO did to improve this team.  

Its amazing how in the moment what you think and then when you say.  Just take time, really evaluate without the aid of adrenalin, and it lends such a different prospective.  If Wentz has the same year as last year, we will be right there for the division.  

Will preface this by saying nothing is a sure shot. Players fail all the time but I have to agree. I really like his tape and hope he plays well. 

He has quick feet and seems natural with cut and go. I like that his highlights aren’t 50 yard runs every single time. He makes people miss, jukes around and finds the hole.

Same with WR, if every highlight in college is 50 yard bombs, I just ignore it. I need to see more.

• Like 2

At what point do you question your own preconceived values though @The Consigliere? You say valuing Dotson in a tier above Burks and Moore is “clinically insane” but then the entire NFL let Moore fall over a round further, 38 more picks to be exact, with many other WR’s going to WR-needy teams before he finally fell into KC’s lap. This isn’t a commentary from me on Moore, I like him and think he fell to the perfect spot. He will hit imo. But doesn’t his fall make you question how strong your convictions are on the player vs Dotson? The entire NFL, or at least specifically the teams who took WR between the Dotson and Moore picks, disagrees with you. At what point does your surety become more muted and a “huh, maybe I’m off on these guys” thought happens? We essentially know KC and GB would have taken Dotson in the early 20’s, that isn’t really disputed. GB alone passed on Moore three separate times, including after choosing to trade up for a different WR in the 2nd. KC didn’t take Moore in the 1st either, and traded back in the 2nd—risking losing him before he fell to them anyways. Neither had the 1st round grade you so confidently put on Moore. Right? 

• Like 7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Well the Raiders are probably going to dump 3 first round picks from a 2019 draft overseen by a guy who’s made a career out of prospect evaluations. I don’t think there are too many real experts aside for a small number of front office that follow a simple logic in the early stages of the draft....eg Baltimore.

In reality you are getting damn good players on day 3. Even in the UDFA pool. 

A player will be successful if they have a decent level of talent, they are very professional, are a ‘fit’ with the organisation and scheme they are dropped into, and they are coached well.

Draft selection place, eg pick 16 or pick 47, means nothing down the line. Who cares about value. Just draft good players that fit what you are trying to achieve on the field.

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I listen to Bram from time to time, he actually had decent draft coverage and he actually here and there has inside information about the team.

Sheehan is smart and entertaining but he's become IMO a bit too Skip Bayless like where he's obsessed with being right on his predictions and lol like Bayless he's not so sincere about what he gets right or wrong.  He will lets say get 5 predictions wrong but will act like he only got 2 of them wrong and act like he's owning up to his misses that way.   For example I've never seen him own up to his Darnold obsession and getting that wrong.  Or owning up to his fascination with the Giants and getting that wrong along with Barkley-Daniel Jones.  Or his Mac Jones "meh" and Kyle Trask is better.   He will own up for example of getting it wrong about Doctson eons ego.  He will ignore he ever said a word about the Giants and instead say he liked the Eagles more than most and he got that right.  the Eagles part is true but he was over the top a fan of the Giants prospects heading into that season.

I think what might have made him go off the rails on the prediction stuff was years ago, he liked Cory Clement, a RB in that draft, Cooley didn't.  And Clement had a decent run his rookie year, not much to write home about though but he had a good spell early on so Sheehan crowed at the time and then had a "meh" career.  But Cooley deemed Sheehan a "RB" guru because of getting that one right even though he really didn't, Clement faded fast.  Then he loved Kerryon Johnson.  Also a dude that flamed out.  I notice this draft he was crowing because he compared Garrett Wilson to Trevon Diggs and claimed he invented that comparison even though that comparison was being made for months by others (I am sure he missed that it happened but it did) -- but he crowed that some new mock drafters were piggybacking on his take.  

The long and short for me is Sheehan, I don't care about your predictions and what you get right or wrong.  :ols:   And if he wants to play that game, at least be honest about all of it.  Versus highlighting his victories and only owning up to some of his misses.  But regardless, I think he does really good shows.  But let go of this Bayless style prediction crap that he's been into in recent years.  But that's just me.  I still listen to him and like him though.

I'm a Sheehan guy and recently started listening to his podcast. I like how he's big on the sports I care about, such as MD BB.  I tell you what, I'm certainly glad the Travis Thomas Experience is over. I could not stand all that screaming etc.  Glad to see Scott Jackson in that spot but not sure if that's temporary or not.  

8 hours ago, sebestian said:

Welcome aboard the Robinson Express: Destination Cowboy Backers. Arrival: imminent. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm a Sheehan guy and recently started listening to his podcast. I like how he's big on the sports I care about, such as MD BB.  I tell you what, I'm certainly glad the Travis Thomas Experience is over. I could not stand all that screaming etc.  Glad to see Scott Jackson in that spot but not sure if that's temporary or not.  

I listen to Sheehan every morning, and almost every podcast.   He's still good IMO but as @Voice_of_Reason has said he's so jaded about Dan and what he's done to this organization that his negativity at times has made him go off a bit on the deep end.  IMO his version of it is to be sort of a closet Eagles fan, before the Giants imploded last season it was a Giants-Eagles hybrid fan.  Not so much that he actively rooted for them but he really wants to admire those teams and how they are run versus this team, so if he has a chance to complement the Eagles, he will, the glass is always half full with them, and mostly half empty here.  His Giants fascination though quickly became embarassing once the season unfolded last year so he pretends now that it never happened.  And he really really hates Wentz.  And really really hates admitting to being wrong.

In the past, I don't recall those quirks with Sheehan.  But in some ways I get it, Dan Snyder has effected many of us in non-healthy ways as far as fandom.   So I'd still take Sheehan over anyone on talk radio, to me he's that good.  But I wish we'd have the old Sheehan back.  The new one is a crankier version.

My issue with Travis Thompson is he wasn't the most informed guy about the team but acted like he was.  He was also extremely anti-Ron though he claims he wasn't.

Scott Jackson to me is "meh", not great, not bad, so so, middilng.  I'd love to have Galdi back at that spot.   Galdi to me is almost Sheehan level good and he's actually more open and balanced than Sheehan is IMO.

8 hours ago, sebestian said:

Yeah I think what some miss about Robinson if they haven't watched him that closely is thinking that he's just some garden variety thumper of a RB.  That's what for example Mike Tanier said about Robinson from Football Outsiders when he blasted their whole draft and thought "meh" about Robinson. 

Mike Tanier hates this team with a passion.  I get the Football Outsiders NFL preview book every year and the idea behind it is to talk numbers and objectively discuss the tendencies of the teams.  He just about always leads off the Washington section entirely different than every other team -- and that is a diatribe about how dispicable the team is (and this was well before the sexual harassment stuff occured) and how just about every decision they make is misguided. 

I don't know if he was once a fan or what but he comes off like a scorned lover who has to tell you how much they hate their ex.   lol, they have a write up about every team that comes off to me balanced and then when they hit Washington its often some version of let me tell you how evil and stupid that team is and deserves to be the most hated team in the NFL and now I'll reluctantly talk about their tendencies.

But yeah Brian Robinson ran in the low 4.5's which is freakish for a 6 '1 225 pound running back and he looks that fast too.  He had a 90.4 score from PFF.  14 TDs.  He has good hands -- about 300 receiving yards.  He forced 79 missed tackles, only Kenneth Walker had more in this class.   He has 22 runs that were 15 plus yards so for a big dude he has some explosion.   He is both a good zone and power runner.   

Tailor made to be 1A-1B with Gibson.  For me if they were going to miss out on the top 2 RBs, I wanted Pierce, Robinson or Spiller.  So I was thrilled to get one of them.

I recall posting on this thread when I saw Robinson was one of the their 30 players who came for a visit that I was jazzed about it.    Really good get IMO. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Watched some more Dotson last night. Never seen anybody’s let’s move that fast before in my life. Also, the PSU QB sucks.

Do you mean legs ?

If so you have clearly never seen Fred Flintstone starting his car before....:ols:

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Watched some more Dotson last night. Never seen anybody’s let’s move that fast before in my life. Also, the PSU QB sucks.

Ron crushed the poor Penn state QB in his presser.  It’s like he wanted to say “the fact Dotson caught anything should be written in the scriptures as a miracle, because the guy throwing him the ball was incapable of throwing the ball.”

He was nicer.  But he did say it factored into their evaluation, that he was playing with a bunch of stiffs.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I listen to Sheehan every morning, and almost every podcast.   He's still good IMO but as @Voice_of_Reason has said he's so jaded about Dan and what he's done to this organization that his negativity at times has made him go off a bit on the deep end.  IMO his version of it is to be sort of a closet Eagles fan, before the Giants imploded last season it was a Giants-Eagles hybrid fan.  Not so much that he actively rooted for them but he really wants to admire those teams and how they are run versus this team, so if he has a chance to complement the Eagles, he will, the glass is always half full with them, and mostly half empty here.  His Giants fascination though quickly became embarassing once the season unfolded last year so he pretends now that it never happened.  And he really really hates Wentz.  And really really hates admitting to being wrong.

In the past, I don't recall those quirks with Sheehan.  But in some ways I get it, Dan Snyder has effected many of us in non-healthy ways as far as fandom.   So I'd still take Sheehan over anyone on talk radio, to me he's that good.  But I wish we'd have the old Sheehan back.  The new one is a crankier version.

My issue with Travis Thompson is he wasn't the most informed guy about the team but acted like he was.  He was also extremely anti-Ron though he claims he wasn't.

Scott Jackson to me is "meh", not great, not bad, so so, middilng.  I'd love to have Galdi back at that spot.   Galdi to me is almost Sheehan level good and he's actually more open and balanced than Sheehan is IMO.

One of the reasons I like Sheehan is because, like most of us, he's had enough of Dan Snyder. He has ratcheted up the criticism because it's deserved.  Tavis Thomas appeals to a different demographic  than me, apparently they like all that noise. I come for the content not the bells and whistles.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ron crushed the poor Penn state QB in his presser.  It’s like he wanted to say “the fact Dotson caught anything should be written in the scriptures as a miracle, because the guy throwing him the ball was incapable of throwing the ball.”

He was nicer.  But he did say it factored into their evaluation, that he was playing with a bunch of stiffs.  

He did say that didn’t he, I don’t want to throw the poor guy (QB) under the bus, but.......:ols:

Galdi’s podcasts is my morning drive listen. It’s out by 5am, and I think he’s now better than Sheehan.  

I check out Kevin’s podcast most days (I do like it when Cooley is on, snd he was yesterday) Standig, Keim and JP. And the podcast of certain segments of Bram’s show. 

I havent listened to live radio in eons.

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

He did say that didn’t he, I don’t want to throw the poor guy (QB) under the bus, but.......:ols:

I think the exact quote was “I don’t want to crush the kid but…” (proceeds to crush the kid.)

7 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

One of the reasons I like Sheehan is because, like most of us, he's had enough of Dan Snyder. He has ratcheted up the criticism because it's deserved.  Tavis Thomas appeals to a different demographic  than me, apparently they like all that noise. I come for the content not the bells and whistles.  

Criticism should be given when it is deserved.  

Not just all the time for everything under every circumstance because you hate the owner. 

Its ineresting. I never bought Thomas's knowledge but I liked his rapport with his producer. Sheehan is annoying in his hate. Thomas was at least energetic and could wake me up mid day. I haven't checked out Jackson yet because he doesn't have a podcast ofthe show (that I know of) and I rarely listen live. Galdi to me is so much better than SHeehan because of his open and balance and his willingness to bring in stats and disuss the potential flaws of a stat and bringing on guys like PFF or Brian Burke or people to understad WAR. Its very knowledgeable and pushes the envelope of what fans should know. Its not just a bit to get a reaction, which I think THomas and Sheehan do a lot of. 

I will admit that I've been jealous of Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Philadelphia in how their front offices work, but at the same time we can't praise them for what they do and then get mad when we do it. Case in point, they were known for not giving guys second contracts especially if it was going to set the market. So they'd get rid of the guys and potentially draft the replacement a year early rather than late. Thats exactly what we seem to be doing with Mathis but its gotten the most hate. It seems like a move they would do. So what about "self created holes", Philly would create those holes and fill them just as quickly. But when we do it its bad.