Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Good thing that was never my argument. Nor did I disagree that Hamilton was a higher rated prospect than Dotson.

But I don't believe in Pure BPA. 

Look, it's very simple: We have invested very little in the offense and it continually stinks. We have invested a ton in the defense and it has been good to meh.

One of the lowest scoring offenses in the league for 2 years running. 

Shoring up the D to lose 14-10 sure sounds fun to me. 

I've already explained how a player like Hamilton will help the offense in terms of field position and time of possession. Sure they need to hold up their end and put the ball in the end zone. But sorry passing over a higher rated player to fill an immediate need is just not a sound way to build a roster long term. This has been proven over and over again. 

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I've already explained how a player like Hamilton will help the offense in terms of field position and time of possession. Sure they need to hold up their end and put the ball in the end zone. But sorry passing over a higher rated player to fill an immediate need is just not a sound way to build a roster long term. This has been proven over and over again. 

Watch this:

I've already explained how a player like Dotson will help the defense in terms of field position and time of possession. Sure they need to hold up their end and get off the field on third down. But sorry passing over a high end offensive player to fill an immediate need is just not a sound way to build a roster long term. This has been proven over and over again.

It goes both ways and comes down to opinion.

Maybe you're right. Maybe we needed to invest in our D. Maybe we should every year and hope we strike gold in the later rounds on offense.

Maybe I'm right. But it's all opinions and neither are wrong. And it goes both ways. 

• Like 3

Just now, KDawg said:

Watch this:

I've already explained how a player like Dotson will help the defense in terms of field position and time of possession. Sure they need to hold up their end and get off the field on third down. But sorry passing over a high end offensive player to fill an immediate need is just not a sound way to build a roster long term. This has been proven over and over again.

It goes both ways and comes down to opinion.

Maybe you're right. Maybe we needed to invest in our D. Maybe we should every year and hope we strike gold in the later rounds on offense.

Maybe I'm right. But it's all opinions and neither are wrong. And it goes both ways. 

You say they have invested little in the offense. I'd say Carson Wentz is a pretty big investment.  I'm not taking the "we should invest in offense, no we should invest in defense" argument. I'm simply saying passing over higher rated prospects, regardless of if they play on offense or defense, to fill an immediate need because you are desperate to win a few more games next year is not a sound philosophy. 

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

You say they have invested little in the offense. I'd say Carson Wentz is a pretty big investment.  I'm not taking the "we should invest in offense, no we should invest in defense" argument. I'm simply saying passing over higher rated prospects, regardless of if they play on offense or defense, to fill an immediate need because you are desperate to win a few more games next year is not a sound philosophy. 

In the first round it's kind of a crapshoot though, isn't it? A lot of these guys are bundled so close together.

And, keep in mind, they didn't just pass on Hamilton for Dotson. They added Jahan Dotson, Brian Robinson and then traded the second pick to draft Sam Howell and Cole Turner.

So they got Dotson, Robinson, Howell and Turner.

Is that better than Hamilton? We'll see. I'm not ready to make that decision. But I think it shores up the offense in a positive way. 

• Like 3

I was one of the bigger Kyle Hamilton fans here.  Yet, Dotson, Robinson, Howell, Turner >>> Hamilton IMO.

They turned that pick into arguably finally giving Terry a real #2.  Solving our RB issues -- we needed a co-RB really badly.  Perhaps got a young QB for the future.  And added an F-TE we also IMO desperately needed.

As far as these just being guys who won't make much of an impact, you never know.  But for me all four of these guys were players I touted before the draft.  I was real early on Dotson and talked about him plenty.  Robinson was one of my favorite RBs in this draft albiet I recall @KDawgtalked him up even more.  I was higher on Sam Howell than most, I had him as my #3 QB and above Pickett albiet @KDawghad him even higher among some others here.  And Cole Turner I think I might have been first on as far as plugging.   I watched a lot of him starting from earlier in the college season when watching Strong and i listed him in the smalll group of players that I considered my guys in the draft.

In theory at least I think they killed it as for what they did with those trade downs.  If you told me before the draft they'd trade down and end up with those 4 players, I'd think its too insane to believe it would happen.  And I'd love it. 

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And added an F-TE we also IMO desperately needed.

And Cole Turner I think I might have been first on as far as plugging.   

I watched a lot of him starting from earlier in the college season when watching Strong and i listed him in the smalll group of players that I considered my guys in the draft.

Most are severely underrating and underestimating Turners addition. 

Last year this offense was missing a big RB and an F-TE

I was right with you  on identifying Turner for the same reasons you give...saw him a ton watching Strong and he always stood out in the games

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Most are severely underrating and underestimating Turners addition. 

Last year this offense was missing a big RB and an F-TE

I was right with you  on identifying Turner for the same reasons you give...saw him a ton watching Strong and he always stood out in the games

It was hard to miss.  And I think his play will translate to the NFL -- seperates well, big time catch radius, really strong hands.  He's a willing blocker but he's a work in progress on that front but for an F-TE I don't care a heck of a lot about that.

I've said here before I thought Turner's skills would translate better to the NFL than i did Doubs who was Strong's other big time target.  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It was hard to miss.  And I think his play will translate to the NFL -- seperates well, big time catch radius, really strong hands.  He's a willing blocker but he's a work in progress on that front but for an F-TE I don't care a heck of a lot about that.

I've said here before I thought Turner's skills would translate better to the NFL than i did Doubs who was Strong's other big time target.  

Totally agree. I don't see Doubs having a big pro career. On the other hand Turner in the right team can flourish. He is not ever going to be a big blocker, he is a deep receiver and great addition for a QB that likes chucking it. Now we have 2 of those type QB's.

I have written it before, when watching Strong I found myself scan the field on every play to see where Turner was as they lined up.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, KDawg said:

In the first round it's kind of a crapshoot though, isn't it? A lot of these guys are bundled so close together.

And, keep in mind, they didn't just pass on Hamilton for Dotson. They added Jahan Dotson, Brian Robinson and then traded the second pick to draft Sam Howell and Cole Turner.

So they got Dotson, Robinson, Howell and Turner.

Is that better than Hamilton? We'll see. I'm not ready to make that decision. But I think it shores up the offense in a positive way. 

Yeah I had meant to address the additional picks involved, that's a solid point.  And we will see. I recall the Redskins passing on JJ Watt.  Who did they get in return?  Ryan Kerrigan, a solid player but obviously no Watt, and other players with the picks that never panned out.  Now Sam Howell could turn out to be a viable starter, that's certainly possible.  However history shows they will be lucky if he turns into Nate Sudfeld.  Robinson and Turner?  Hard to say, just saying players like them are not hard to find.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

Now that we are a week into the kumbaya period that every draft pick is a keeper, I’ll be that chucklehead that asks the question.

Reality and history tell us that not all these players will be hits.  From the board braintrust, which of the top 4/6 or so picks do you see having the highest likelihood of being out of the league in 3/4 years?  (Injury not withstanding of course)

Edited by stoshuaj
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah I had meant to address the additional picks involved, that's a solid point.  And we will see. I recall the Redskins passing on JJ Watt.  Who did they get in return?  Ryan Kerrigan, a solid player but obviously no Watt, and other players with the picks that never panned out.  Now Sam Howell could turn out to be a viable starter, that's certainly possible.  However history shows they will be lucky if he turns into Nate Sudfeld.  Robinson and Turner?  Hard to say, just saying players like them are not hard to find.  

Again it’s opinion at this point. As I said I’m not ready to say it’s a better haul. 

But I think Robinson is a stud. He’s going to be excellent and one of the most well rounded backs in the class. 

I think Dotson is incredibly underrated. And I think Cole Turner is a role player.

Howell I thought was the best QB in the draft but we’ll see. He slid so… we’ll find out.

2 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

Now that we are a week into the kumbaya period that every draft pick is a keeper, I’ll be that chucklehead that asks the question.

Reality and history tell us that not all these players will be hits.  From the board braintrust, which of the top 4/6 or so picks do you see having the highest likelihood of being out of the league in 3/4 years?  (Injury not withstanding of course)

I think the top 3 are locks to be good.

The rest? We’ll see. Have reservations on all of them. Biggest reservations are Paul, Holmes, Butler. Howell may not get a chance to show much so he’s another one. 

58 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Good thing that was never my argument. Nor did I disagree that Hamilton was a higher rated prospect than Dotson.

But I don't believe in Pure BPA. 

Look, it's very simple: We have invested very little in the offense and it continually stinks. We have invested a ton in the defense and it has been good to meh.

One of the lowest scoring offenses in the league for 2 years running. 

Shoring up the D to lose 14-10 sure sounds fun to me. 

i came around to this exact thought process. My issue though is that we passed on the best wr prospect… I just don’t see Dotson actually having an impact that would change that 14-10 score, I see him as little more than JAG.

Unrelated to your post, but for the sake of rambling:

I loved the Rivera hire, but when it comes to the talent on the field, I’m not seeing any improvement from when he took over. His career draft and FA history are meh so I’m just not able to put on the B&G colored glasses and give him the benefit of doubt on all of the reaches in this draft.

I’ve been preaching it, quality over quantity and I truly believe that 1st rd trade will turn our stomachs in a few years. Blue chippers elevate teams. We haven’t found one since Rivera has been here and I believe this draft class will be just as poor as the last.

****ing sucks to be so negative, but it’s cringy how many people won’t look at this realistically… 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CTskin said:

i came around to this exact thought process. My issue though is that we passed on the best wr prospect… I just don’t see Dotson actually having an impact that would change that 14-10 score, I see him as little more than JAG.

Unrelated to your post, but for the sake of rambling:

I loved the Rivera hire, but when it comes to the talent on the field, I’m not seeing any improvement from when he took over. His career draft and FA history are meh so I’m just not able to put on the B&G colored glasses and give him the benefit of doubt on all of the reaches in this draft.

I’ve been preaching it, quality over quantity and I truly believe that 1st rd trade will turn our stomachs in a few years. Blue chippers elevate teams. We haven’t found one since Rivera has been here and I believe this draft class will be just as poor as the last.

****ing sucks to be so negative, but it’s cringy how many people won’t look at this realistically… 

I’m higher on Dotson than you, so that’s part of it. But I don’t think people give a Robinson the love he deserves. I think he is a true blue chip prospect but he will obviously need to prove that. 

If we didn’t like the medical on Williams you can’t hold that on the guys drafting. 

You can say I’m not looking at it realistically… but… my opinions fit my pre draft rankings. Not hindsight. So to me, I’m being more realistic than many. But whether or not things pan out is to be determined.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Again it’s opinion at this point. As I said I’m not ready to say it’s a better haul. 

But I think Robinson is a stud. He’s going to be excellent and one of the most well rounded backs in the class. 

I think Dotson is incredibly underrated. And I think Cole Turner is a role player.

Howell I thought was the best QB in the draft but we’ll see. He slid so… we’ll find out.

I think the top 3 are locks to be good.

The rest? We’ll see. Have reservations on all of them. Biggest reservations are Paul, Holmes, Butler. Howell may not get a chance to show much so he’s another one. 

Yeah I think we are done here. You made some solid points, as did I. We'll find out in a few years, right now these are just opinions.  I'm betting on the Ravens being smarter than the Commanders.  They were the team with the bigger WR need but instead went for the better player instead of drafting a WR to fill an immediate need.    

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah I think we are done here. You made some solid points, as did I. We'll find out in a few years.  I'm betting on the Ravens being smarter than the Commanders.  They were the team with the bigger WR need but instead went for the better player instead of drafting a WR to fill an immediate need.    

I don't base what we do on what the Ravens do, though.

They don't need a stud receiver because they don't use them like many teams. And they certainly don't retain them. And many of them get disgruntled.

Their team is in a totally different place than ours. Franchise QB who is a better runner than passer, they used a first on a receiver last year. If I were the Ravens I would have taken Hamilton when they did, too. It just makes a ton of sense for them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't base what we do on what the Ravens do, though.

They don't need a stud receiver because they don't use them like many teams. And they certainly don't retain them. And many of them get disgruntled.

Their team is in a totally different place than ours. Franchise QB who is a better runner than passer, they used a first on a receiver last year. If I were the Ravens I would have taken Hamilton when they did, too. It just makes a ton of sense for them.

If the Ravens didn't feel they needed a stud at WR then why did they use their first round picks on WRs 2 of the past 3 years?  Regardless of the offense they are running the Ravens obviously have and have had a big need for a stud receiver.  Of course they knew they needed help at WR before this draft started.  The Hollywood Brown trade was a done deal before the draft started. He was in Arizona on draft night because he knew he had been traded there, it just had not been announced. . 

FYI I am only using the Ravens because they were the team that selected the player I feel Washington should have taken.  

Just now, Darrell Green Fan said:

if the Ravens don't feel they needed a stud at WR then why did they use their first round picks on WRs 2 of the past 3 years?  Regardless of the offense they are running the Ravens obviously have and have had a big need for a stud receiver.  Of course they knew they needed help at WR before this draft started.  The Hollywood Brown trade was a done deal before the draft started. He was in Arizona on draft night because he knew he had been traded there, it just had not been announced. . 

FYI I am only using the Ravens because they were the team that selected the player I feel Washington should have taken.  

Because they already did.

Why would they do it again? Why does that make sense?

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Because they already did.

Why would they do it again? Why does that make sense?

You totally missed my point. You claimed that the Ravens don't need a stud WR because of the offense they run. Their draft history says otherwise.  They would do it again because they just traded their best receiver. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was one of the bigger Kyle Hamilton fans here.  Yet, Dotson, Robinson, Howell, Turner >>> Hamilton IMO.

That's pretty much where I stand. On the other hand, I very much fear us being horrific on third downs again. If a defense can't get stops or turn the ball over then playmakers don't mean much. 

I'm glad we got Dotson, Robinson, Howell, and Turner, but whether it's by scheme, player growth, or player acquisition we have to figure out how to make it so easy for teams to get a first down. More, we need to make it less easy for teams to get a first down by completing the easiest of throws to tight ends or running backs in the flats. There were so many wide open (no defender within three yards of the receiver) on third downs last year despite max coverages where we only ever rushed four.

4 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

You totally missed my point. You claimed that the Ravens don't need a stud WR because of the offense they run. Their draft history says otherwise.  They would do it again because they just traded their best receiver. 

No, I saw the point you were trying to make. But they did that already. They drafted receivers in the first. They didn't make their passing game any better because their offense isn't designed around the receivers.

2021:

image.png.a5c80c6c94e10b941a032c4101230fd6.png

2020:

image.png.f004c01b49233da30209fcc2eb25c9f2.png

2019:

image.png.f9b1f67d05d2e9b5d975e0af0ccc4348.png

Their top receiver, despite investment, is a tight end. Hollywood Brown, who was disgruntled with the amount of touches he got, was the second best and he was putting up very subpar WR1 numbers because of the system they run. 

Beyond that, they haven't drafted WR in the first 2/3 last years. It's 2/4. 2019, 2021. Hollywood Brown/Rashod Bateman. 

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

No, I saw the point you were trying to make. But they did that already. They drafted receivers in the first. They didn't make their passing game any better because their offense isn't designed around the receivers.

2021:

image.png.a5c80c6c94e10b941a032c4101230fd6.png

2020:

image.png.f004c01b49233da30209fcc2eb25c9f2.png

2019:

image.png.f9b1f67d05d2e9b5d975e0af0ccc4348.png

Their top receiver, despite investment, is a tight end. Hollywood Brown, who was disgruntled with the amount of touches he got, was the second best and he was putting up very subpar WR1 numbers because of the system they run. 

Beyond that, they haven't drafted WR in the first 2/3 last years. It's 2/4. 2019, 2021. Hollywood Brown/Rashod Bateman. 

Well Brown wasn't very good, they made a smart move in trading him before his contract was up. But again the point remains you claim the Ravens don't feel they need an impact WR because of their offense yet they committed their first round picks twice in three years trying to find the very thing you claim they don't need.  

That's all I got on the topic, I gotta go to the doctor. 

Peace.  

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Well Brown wasn't very good, they made a smart move in trading him before his contract was up. But again the point remains you claim the Ravens don't feel they need an impact WR because of their offense yet they committed their first round picks twice in three years trying to find the very thing you claim they don't need.  

Peace.  

Yes, they used the 25th and 27th picks in the first on receivers.

And the one they drafted in 2019 was asking for a trade the last two years because of the offense.

So my point stands.

We aren't the Ravens. We are so far away from the Ravens that it's like comparing a MLB team to a AA team. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stoshuaj said:

Kumpbaya period.  Here's the catch - that period never ends. All the tape on all these guys just show their best plays and we are all in love.  I'll guess by playing the odds that they all fail aside from our top 2.

Edited by RandyHolt

16 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Peace.  

Brown had a good year last year. Better #s than McLaurin actually and that's with Jackson missing a bunch of games.

He's going to blow up in Arizona.

17 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Kumpbaya period.  Here's the catch - that period never ends. I will be surprised to see them predict which picks will fail.  All the tape on all these guys just show their best plays and we are all in love.  I'll guess by playing the odds that they all fail aside from our top 2.

No, all the tape on these guys don't just show their best plays.