Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Not at all.  Considering how much money the NFL rakes in off the backs of the players, how most never get a second contract, and how exploitative of their labor and talent the NFL model is (a draft where you don't get to choose where you live and work would be unacceptable and unamerican in virtually any other industry, and almost all NFL contracts are optional agreements players have to hope their teams will honor) the players are underpaid.

Or do you think the owners deserve an even bigger share of the pie than they already get?

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The league makes billions. You rather Snyder keep the money?

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

He's been playing for free to make other people money his entire life and once taxes and vultures get their fill, it's really not much more than a nice car and condo.

This resonates with me a bit. In some respects, the draft pick is being compensated for being an employed worker through high school, college, etc. 

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Not at all.  Considering how much money the NFL rakes in off the backs of the players, how most never get a second contract, and how exploitative of their labor and talent the NFL model is (a draft where you don't get to choose where you live and work would be unacceptable and unamerican in virtually any other industry, and almost all NFL contracts are optional agreements players have to hope their teams will honor) the players are underpaid.

Or do you think the owners deserve an even bigger share of the pie than they already get?

As to the other comments, my reaction is an ages old one. It's more about where we put value in our society. I think of the teachers, nurses, EMTs, I think of the scientists, and all the other professions who daily contribute to making our lives healthier and better... and see the skew between entertainment salaries (which pro athletics are a part of) and so many other salaries... and sometimes, I just go... THIS IS NUTS.

So no, I don't want Dan Snyder to make more money, but I also don't know that I want a fifth round draft pick to make more money in their first "cheap" contract than a teacher or nurse will if they put in forty years of service.

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

This resonates with me a bit. In some respects, the draft pick is being compensated for being an employed worker through high school, college, etc. 

As to the other comments, my reaction is an ages old one. It's more about where we put value in our society. I think of the teachers, nurses, EMTs, I think of the scientists, and all the other professions who daily contribute to making our lives healthier and better... and see the skew between entertainment salaries (which pro athletics are a part of) and so many other salaries... and sometimes, I just go... THIS IS NUTS.

So no, I don't want Dan Snyder to make more money, but I also don't know that I want a fifth round draft pick to make more money in their first "cheap" contract than a teacher or nurse will if they put in forty years of service.

The gladiators help anesthetize all of our miserable working lives and give their entire body and mind to hope for a career that usually ends before they turn 30. 

I get what you're saying and I'd rather everyone talk about Dr Andrew Huberman than Kim Kardashian, but escapism helps the medicine go down and that cash is their reward for it.

As we spend so much of our day at home on a computer talking about guys who play 17 games a year.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Its not so much our society values them higher but that the economic marketplace does.  Professional sports is very different than teaching or nursing.  In those fields there is a difference between what top earners and low earners make, but most people with the requisite skills can make a middle class living out of it.  With professional sports, less than 1% of people can  make a living off it, but those who can make huge amounts.

@CommanderInTheRye I'm not sure exactly what your reply was intended to mean (the bowing man?) but thank you, I think?

14 hours ago, duffy said:

Shoot I almost forgot about him lol

Russell's speech pattern is so unique, he pauses at the most bizarre places for emphasis.  

Absent that, his take is typically pretty stupid.  So, he pauses at a weird place to emphasize a stupid point.  

There must be serious lack of talent in the industry because the same group of jokers keep moving from one platform to another to continue to be stupid.  

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

You'll get no argument from me that our form of Capitalism organizes our economy in a profoundly antisocial and unfair way.  But this isn't a question of economically valuing entertainer versus more socially valuable forms of labor like medicine and rescue services and teaching.  It's a question of economically valuing talent versus capital.  And in the case of the NFL, capital deeply exploits talent and has a massive upper hand over them in slicing up the revenues their product generates despite the fact that not a single consumer of their product is paying to see capital.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Burgold said:

A fifth rounder is immediately a multimillionaire. There’s something wrong about that. 

Allow me to offer a counter-point:

The only money I believe which is guaranteed is the signing bonus.  That's $361k.  

At this point, there are 32 teams in the NFL, and just for the sake of simplicity, let's say each player has 90 players.  That's 2,880 players.  Consider football as any other profession.  There are only 2,880 people in the entire country who can do that profession.  That's a very, very, very small group of people.  Given how difficult the job is, and how hard it is to find, combined with the amount of money the NFL makes, it's reasonable.

Also, flipped the other way, for at least a portion of the 5th rounds, the $361k is all they will ever earn in their career.  Others will get the first year salary, and then be out of the league.  

The average career in the NFL is 3 years.  Let's say a 4th round pick actually sticks around all for 4 years and earns the $4M and then is out of the league.  Well, his career is over, and their earning potential has dropped to almost nothing.  After 4 years.  Sure, they made a lot in the first several years, but if you're 27 years old with no career, and no real ability to earn money, that's somewhat terrifying.  

Finally, the owners and players split basically 50/50 the combined revenue.  50% of the revenue goes to the players.  The union and NFL agreed on the rookie wage scale.  

Personally, I think it's fair. 

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

See my post above.  The real differences are:

1. There are fewer people who can play in the NFL than can be teachers or nurses.  

2. They have a VERY short period of time to make just about all of the money in their career.  

3.  It's very possible they make nothing more than the bonus.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Allow me to offer a counter-point:

The only money I believe which is guaranteed is the signing bonus.  That's $361k.  

At this point, there are 32 teams in the NFL, and just for the sake of simplicity, let's say each player has 90 players.  That's 2,880 players.  Consider football as any other profession.  There are only 2,880 people in the entire country who can do that profession.  That's a very, very, very small group of people.  Given how difficult the job is, and how hard it is to find, combined with the amount of money the NFL makes, it's reasonable.

Also, flipped the other way, for at least a portion of the 5th rounds, the $361k is all they will ever earn in their career.  Others will get the first year salary, and then be out of the league.  

The average career in the NFL is 3 years.  Let's say a 4th round pick actually sticks around all for 4 years and earns the $4M and then is out of the league.  Well, his career is over, and their earning potential has dropped to almost nothing.  After 4 years.  Sure, they made a lot in the first several years, but if you're 27 years old with no career, and no real ability to earn money, that's somewhat terrifying.  

Finally, the owners and players split basically 50/50 the combined revenue.  50% of the revenue goes to the players.  The union and NFL agreed on the rookie wage scale.  

Personally, I think it's fair. 

I’ve done some thinking on this and conclude that football is different than baseball and basketball somewhat as far as post-playing career.  For football, you’ve been in college for at least three years.  Your network is vastly larger than the baseball player drafted out of high school.  So I don’t agree with “27 with no career, and no ability to earn money.”  I took a look at some guys from the recent past, who I don’t believe had a second contract or much of one if they did.

Evan Royster works for EverFi.

https://amp.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/article185745488.html

Roy Helu is a pastor in Nebraska.

https://www.ketv.com/amp/article/throwback-thursday-helu-becomes-pastor-after-pigskin/34593128

Arie Kouandijo is set to graduate from Wharton next year.

Some guys are still grasping in independent leagues like Lache Seastrunk and Martrell Spaight.

I’d be interested to see more of this information collected.  

I do agree that a 50/50 player-owner split is reasonable.  

I’d like them explore an arbitration approach like baseball  does before free agency.  I do agree that it would be very difficult.  Maybe everyone is on a five year rookie contract and years three, four, and five go through some arbitration process.  Guys like Curl and McLaurin should be making a lot more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@CommanderInTheRye I'm not sure exactly what your reply was intended to mean (the bowing man?) but thank you, I think?

It was my wordless way of expressing that your post was a tour de force, a magnum opus, and all I could do after reading it was to bow in sincere appreciation.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, they really shifted gears from last year, so I have to think someone else is in Rons ear.

20 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think they were trying for something different last year, also Mahew and Hurney sortof just got there.  I believe both were hired in January.  The scouting for the draft starts before the college season, so it was probably a mash of people, thoughts, opinions, etc.

This is the first year the whole gang has been there from start to finish.  Year 1 was Kyle Smith.  Year 2 was kindof transition.  Year 3 is this group.  

I definitely think there was a change of approach, though. I think the big thing is last year they went with more guys with less experience.  This year, everybody they picked has TONS of tape.  That's a big change, and should lead to more pro-ready players. 

Good point VOR.  I posited a different theory post draft (though it’s doesn’t necessarily go against your theory) that went something like this:

Year 1 - strive for competence and establishing culture with player buy in.  

Year 2 - add upside.  Focus on RAS/Athleticism and coach them up so that talent can make an impact in year 3 and beyond.

Year 3 - add experience.  Bring in guys that are proven and can slot in sooner rather than later.  You fill holes and up your competition (helpful when some of your 2nd year guys don’t pan out or need more time) to make a run this year and beyond.

Obviously I don’t know if there’s any merit to my theory, but it makes sense to me in terms of a 3-4 year plan.  And of course this is just the draft portion, there’s also (hopefully) finding your qb, re-signing some of your talent, etc.  To me, it also fits the idea of keeping your job.  You show some improvement year 1, add (hopefully) some flash in year 2, then round out your roster (including depth) as best you can in year 3 to 1) make another jump in output and 2) improve consistency.

A part of me would have expected that year 3 would also include making a splash in FA, so I’m a bit surprised that didn’t happen.  Of course, we’ve had success with lower tier FA signings, and our “splashy” move was spending (relatively) big on qb… and hopefully re-signing Terry as well.

28 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

It was my wordless way of expressing that your post was a tour de force, a magnum opus, and all I could do after reading it was to bow in sincere appreciation.

I should just cancel my account and ride off into the sunset. 

• Haha 2

AGG bowled a perfect game so I highly doubt Robinson is, in fact, the best bowler on the team.

Sam Howell has never had a steak? What the hell is  that all about? Explains why he dropped so far.

And Cole Turner, I love you, but I will beat the **** out of you in some chess.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

3 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

And Cole Turner, I love you, but I will beat the **** out of you in some chess.

Easy to be a tough guy when it’s over the internet.

Oh wait, you’re talking about chess.  Nevermind, carry on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Glad we didn’t draft this dude. He is the WR equivalent of the fat dude the giants had at QB. 

Is there really that much difference in climate between Fayetteville and Nashville?