Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

7 hours ago, skinny21 said:

@stevemcqueen1Nice write up.  In the scenario you outlined at the end there, wouldn’t you be worried the qb needy teams ahead of us in the 2nd take the remaining top qbs?  I could see us trying to jump into the late 1st (or early 2nd) in that event…

Yeah I would consider moving up either to the end of the first round or earlier in the second round for a QB.  Last year was demoralizing in how Davis Mills and Kyle Trask went before we could pick them in the third (when most pre-draft projections had them going in the third).  I wouldn't want the same scenario to play out at the beginning of the second this year.  And it does feel like there could be a big run on QBs in that range since I think there will be some really enticing droppers.

But I still think we'll have a shot at QB2 at 11, with either Willis or Pickett still being on the board there.  Maybe I'm wrong, but the QB demand in the top ten feels really soft and the position players are very badass this year.  Teams are going to fall in love with dudes like Hutchinson and Hamilton and Lloyd.  And I think Evan Neal is going to be an absolutely incredible test athlete.  There are going to be so many guys on the board for these teams that are really tempting to take over a QB.

5 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Wills will probably move up. Alot of mock draft have lions taking him at 31

If I were running the team, 11 would be his floor.  I wouldn't want to have to move up for him, but if push came to shove, I think I would. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah I would consider moving up either to the end of the first round or earlier in the second round for a QB.  Last year was demoralizing in how Davis Mills and Kyle Trask went before we could pick them in the third (when most pre-draft projections had them going in the third).  I wouldn't want the same scenario to play out at the beginning of the second this year.  And it does feel like there could be a big run on QBs in that range since I think there will be some really enticing droppers.

But I still think we'll have a shot at QB2 at 11, with either Willis or Pickett still being on the board there.  Maybe I'm wrong, but the QB demand in the top ten feels really soft and the position players are very badass this year.  Teams are going to fall in love with dudes like Hutchinson and Hamilton and Lloyd.  And I think Evan Neal is going to be an absolutely incredible test athlete.  There are going to be so many guys on the board for these teams that are really tempting to take over a QB.

Unless a team moves up, I agree with you.  I think Carolina is going to trade for Watson.  It makes the most sense.  They are DESPERATE for a QB.  He was a star at Clemson.  Houston gets him out of the AFC.  I figure Houston gets #6+two future #1s.  I also think Houston passes on taking a QB (and "tanking" for the more highly thought of QBs next year).  Denver will certainly be in the market.  Unless they get Rodgers/Wilson, I think they take QB #1.

I could see Minny at #12 jumping us for a QB.  I could see them moving Kirk, although if Rodgers retires/is traded, they win the NFC North by default.

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Basically the WFT should seek my opinion on QB and do the opposite. LOVED Tua. Didn’t like Herbert. Hated Josh Allen. I don’t like Willis. 

Sounds you like old school QBs. Adapt. All about traits now. 

• Like 1

Willis had a fantastic day yesterday. It's hard to separate these guys.

These are good quarterbacks. How good? That I don't know. But anyone saying the quarterbacks are bad are crazy. And a lot of that isn't coming from here anymore. Thank God.

Howell, Corral, Willis, Strong have had good weeks so far.

Pickett hasn't had a bad or a good week, but he HAS showed off a lightning quick release.

Perrion Winfrey has been absolutely dominant at DT. He is going to be a big time player in the League.

I want Chad Muma in the second I think. We have not gotten the 2nd round backers I've liked thus far in the draft and I think this guy could be a difference maker for us. But I'm not completely sold on him vs. receiver.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 4

Best quarterbacks on Day 2

2335.png&h=110&w=110

Malik Willis, Liberty (American)

Scouts Inc. ranking: 21

The biggest factor that NFL evaluators measure when watching quarterbacks is the day-to-day improvement each of them make. As I wrote Tuesday about Willis, he struggled throwing passes that were breaking away from him. During Day 2, he eliminated those issues and had the best day of any signal-caller. He had several impressive tosses on the day, showing off his arm strength. His best came fading away on a 25-yard pass to tight end Greg Dulcich (UCLA).

The 6-foot Willis has the strongest arm of any of the quarterbacks in Mobile. He ran a little bit on Wednesday, too, showing off his legs in the 11-on-11 portion. The next step for Willis is identifying pressure points and throwing hot routes away from blitzes, which was an area in which he had some troubles during the 11-on-11 work.

2440.png&h=110&w=110

Carson Strong, Nevada (National)

Scouts Inc. ranking: 54

Strong and Willis were the quarterbacks whose passes cut through the rain the best Wednesday. The ball has plenty of life when coming out of Strong's hands. After struggling with his accuracy on Day 1, he was more precise, but his ball placement still remained a bit scattershot. He seemed as if he was overcompensating for the weather, as many of his passes came out hot and he lost control of his accuracy on some occasions.

Strong's go-to target has been former college teammate Romeo Doubs. His best pass of the day came on a corner route to his No. 1 target at Nevada. With the third day of practice expected to be inside, he has a prime opportunity to continue to build on what was a promising showing on Wednesday despite the weather.

_end_rule.png

How the other four quarterbacks fared

2132.png&h=110&w=110

Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati (National)

Scouts Inc. ranking: 42

Ridder had some struggles with accuracy Wednesday. Considering the elements, his best throw of the day came to Trey McBride (Colorado State), who made a tough catch down the seam, and another came on a dig route off play-action to Doubs over the middle.

Ridder still has lots of questions to answer through two days. Putting together a strong third practice could go a long way in helping to improve his draft stock. He needs to improve with his ball placement on Thursday. Scouts I talk to still see Ridder being selected within the top 50 picks, though.

221.png&h=110&w=110

Kenny Pickett, Pittsburgh (National)

Scouts Inc. ranking: 20

Pickett ditched one of his gloves Wednesday, just wearing one on his throwing hand, and he had an up-and-down performance. He had some troubles with driving the ball in the deeper portions of the field in the inclement weather.

His hand size will be a recurring narrative, and Wednesday was a great test to see how he fared in difficult circumstances. After a steady first day, Pickett was inconsistent from period to period. He was correct on reads and didn't force the ball to pass-catchers, but he opted to dump the ball to his running backs and not risk testing windows considering the circumstances.

With practice moving indoors Thursday, Pickett will be in a favorable environment, which could lead to similar results that we saw from him during the first practice.

153.png&h=110&w=110

Sam Howell, UNC (American)

Scouts Inc. ranking: 34

It has been tough to get a feel for Howell so far. He played in a quarterback-friendly system at UNC that was heavy on run-pass options, and he has had to adjust to a pro-style system in Mobile. He didn't have much college experience with taking snaps from under center, and he wasn't asked to throw to all areas of the field in college. He has at times looked uncomfortable; he looks much better when operating out of shotgun.

Howell's best passes have come from his comfort zone, and he has the best deep touch of any of the quarterbacks here. He has showed off that deep accuracy a few times through the first two days. His best throw of the day came during the one-on-one session on a deep corner route to wide receiver Calvin Austin III (Memphis), when he dropped it over the head of cornerback Mario Goodrich (Clemson).

98.png&h=110&w=110

Bailey Zappe, Western Kentucky (American)

Scouts Inc. ranking: 153

Zappe was the quarterback who had the most challenges with the elements, as his accuracy and decision-making remained inconsistent. He has had some high moments with his efficiency in the underneath and intermediate areas over the middle of the field. He was involved in a record-setting Air Raid attack in college, but many evaluators wanted to see how he would perform outside of that offense.

Zappe is used to a quick-fire attack that wastes little time with exhausting lengthy progressions, and the NFL playbook and extended dropbacks have been an adjustment for him. On top of fighting the weather elements combined with having average arm strength, he continues to battle.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33201346/senior-bowl-practice-2022-nfl-draft-best-quarterbacks-standouts-sleepers-nuggets-know-day-2

Via Jason Reid who if I recall played some Qb in college

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

I happy they are forced to deal with some weather conditions for the eval process. 

I am hoping for more positives from all of them, especially Howell and the guy I always looked at as the fall back choice of Zappe.

Ridder continues to disappoint me, but I have come to the realization that is NOT a 1st round talent

The Chad Muma experience is gaining ground I see!😎

Edited by DWinzit

16 hours ago, HigSkin said:

They just showed a contingent of Commanders coaches/scouts at the Senior Bowl.  Looks like about 10 guys headed up by Hurney and Turner.

What I'm wondering about is how much Turner ad Hurney agree on QB prospects. We haven't heard anything about Hurney's prospects on Heinicke or Allen. From all recollection they were Turner guys. But I think Will Grier (who I liked in the draft) was all on Hurney? Is that right? If thats the case I trust Turner more than Hurney. 

12 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

Malik is who I’m rooting for the most to succeed… but not too much. I don’t want to have to trade up for him. His ceiling is obviously the highest, it just pops on the screen. 

Those 2 plays are better than anything I saw all season from Willis on tape when it comes to passing the football. It's a good sign that he takes to coaching well and is a quick learner. Opened my eyes a little bit for sure. 

• Like 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/02/03/washington-commanders-senior-bowl-quarterbacks/

One scout, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, argued Willis is the only one capable of becoming a franchise quarterback. He said this year’s playoffs, including the shootout between Kansas City’s Patrick Mahomes and Buffalo’s Josh Allen, illustrate why passers need elite traits. He is skeptical that any of the other quarterbacks could grow into the role, including Pickett, whom he compared to Kirk Cousins and Derek Carr.

“You’ll win with him, not because of him,” the scout said.

• Like 1

Mahomes and Allen are on stacked teams with awesome coaching.  And Joe Burrow is in the SB next week and he's not exactly a physical marvel.  He's a savvy runner but he's not a freak and his arm strength is pretty ordinary.

I know it was a long time ago, but Tom Brady won some rings and was considered by some a franchise QB too.

I'm waiting for the lightbulb to come on for the NFL that you win with every good QB, not because of them.  I don't care how good of an individual playmaker they are, this is a team game and the great team will always kill the bad team with an awesome QB. 

Pickett has an average arm.  That's his most disappointing issue and it does limit his ceiling some, and it was obvious from his film.  He can smoke it when he gets his cleats in the ground and uses his whole body to make the throw.  But that's not how arm strength is measured as elite in the context of the NFL.  It's the same reason why I said Mac Jones and Justin Fields had somewhat disappointing arm strength last year.  Yes, you will find some lasers in their film, but they are only able to throw that hard with an ideal set up.  Pickett is in the same boat.  But one thing you eventually realize is that not every good QB is 24 years old and throwing heaters every snap.  Velocity diminishes with age and QBs learn over time what they need to put on throws to get them there on time and they develop better control and learn to pace themselves, and they generally get better with age despite declining speed and power.  Pickett is further down the path of this lightbulb coming on than the other guys because he's older and so much more experienced.

The plus side is that Pickett is athletic and has unusually good feet and can set up rapidly for his throws, so he copes well with the lack of high end arm strength.  He's a markedly better athlete than Cousins, for example.  He'll never win a comparison with dudes like Corral or Ridder or Strong or Willis on traits.  But where he beat all of them this year was in his combo of instincts, creativity, and accuracy.  Those can take you far.  You're not going to have to change your offense for Pickett like you will with Willis.  You can run a spread with five man protections and trust him to find and hit his windows and make good reads and he'll give you some play making too, because that's in his gene code as a player as well.  Provided he doesn't get picked into some god awful situation, he's probably going to look the best of these prospects early on, and early success can snowball into greater things.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

People keep bringing up Scott Turner when talking about our QB, but forgetting Ken Zampese is one of the better QB coaches in the game...

True. Its easy to forget hes there without obsessing over everything a new young guy does. But if we draft a guy I bet he becomes a household name. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Willis is a good practice and relatively solid game away from being a locked in top 10 pick. 

So basically we need to start rumors about him eating mayonnaise and cheese sandwiches before games, hoping it causes him to slide down the board. Got it coach. 👍

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Those 2 plays are better than anything I saw all season from Willis on tape when it comes to passing the football. It's a good sign that he takes to coaching well and is a quick learner. Opened my eyes a little bit for sure. 

How many games of his did you watch? Any 2020 games?

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

You think Carolina (6) or Denver (9) take him assuming they don't land vets?

I don't think he gets beyond 6 if he has another good day. I also think Pittsburgh is a very, very real threat to trade up. They don't typically do that, but its their GM's last draft. He will want to leave them well set for the future and if Tomlin signs off on future picks being used I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them move up. 

• Like 1