Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Jives with his film completely. So far there’s been no real surprises for me in these reports.

Aside from Strong having a healthy knee. That’s a game changer.

Strong talking up his knee is feeling a lot better, I talked about a week or so ago on this thread.  I was curious though if that was rhetoric versus real.  Sounds like its real.

My take and said so before the Senior bowl that Strong and Howell might really elevate themselves in the Senior Bowl because both have strong arms and accuracy on all three levels, good touch on their throws, too.    IMO the Senior Bowl is a good place to showcase that. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Strong talking up his knee is feeling a lot better, I talked about a week or so ago on this thread.  I was curious though if that was rhetoric versus real.  Sounds like its real.

My take and said so before the Senior bowl that Strong and Howell might really elevate themselves in the Senior Bowl because both have strong arms and accuracy on all three levels, good touch on their throws, too.    IMO the Senior Bowl is a good place to showcase that. 

I can’t believe people haven’t had Howell in their top 3 at all.

And strong as a passer is better than almost any of them. His issue was his knee. Strong is going to wind up in my top 3 if this continues.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Strong isn't going anywhere near the 2nd round.

Nope. His knee was the concern with him. As a passer he’s always been capable. There will still be some skepticism on the knee, but he is going to be one of the first 3 QBs off the board.

• Like 2

I’m not in love with Pickett. There’s something about him that feels off to me. He throws into really tight windows and gets a lot of his production off of swings, screens and YAC. Another good portion of it is off of tight window throws. 

Two things I like that he does is throwing on the  run and when he gets a guy open deep he drops the ball right in the bucket in stride. But I keep watching him to see if I’m missing something… I just don’t see the wow factor. Different film but I feel the same when I watched Haskins film. He could be something… but something feels off. 

Strong / Howell are the best pure passers. If Strong’s knee is healthy he’s the meteoric riser. No question about it. I didn’t think there was a shot that that thing was going to be healthy but the reports today seem to indicate he looks great. 

Willis is the best pure athlete. 

Corral is the best mix of athlete and passer, but not the best at either.

Ridder is… Ridder. 

Zappe I’m still not sure on. I think I like him. But I’m still processing.

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Athletic (Nagy)

Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 6.30.48 PM.png

Sounds like he played really well today are there any leaked medical reports on him yet. Looking back sounds like he first hurt the knee in high school been an on going problem. He would have played at a higher level without injury. He can definitely play. It is just so hard to figure out without knowing the medical where he will get drafted no matter how well he does. Looking at his injury history I have to think knee will drop him a round or two.

Edited by Redskins 2021

53 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not sure Tomlin has the patience to develop a young QB. He had prime Roethlisberger from the moment he landed in Pittsburgh. They're gonna swing hard for a vet. That roster is built to win now.

I think Tomlin and the Steelers is a great landing spot for Willis personally but you're very likely correct.

6 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Sounds like he played really well today are there any leaked medical reports on him yet. Looking back sounds like he first hurt the knee in high school been an on going problem. He would have played at a higher level without injury. He can definitely play. It is just so hard to figure out without knowing the medical where he will get drafted no matter how well he does. Looking at his injury history I have to think knee will drop him a round or two.

don't know. that's up to each team's medical staff to make that call.  Should be interesting.

Day 1 of Senior Bowl practices kicked off in Mobile, Alabama on Tuesday. It also marked the first day of an extended battle for QB1 in a quarterback class that’s as wide-open as we’ve seen in recent years.

While some quarterbacks (like Desmond Ridder) had a surprisingly poor day that they’ll surely be looking to bounce back from with a long week ahead, others continued to prove us right in everything we thought they could be. One of those passers was Nevada’s Carson Strong, who was one of the most consistent passers in the nation in 2021.

That shined through as the week kicked off, with Strong only having two poor throws on the day—one was a near-interception into double coverage while the other was a low throw during routes on air that his receiver still managed to pull in. Outside of this, though, Strong—though in somewhat close contention with Pitt quarterback Kenny Pickett—was the most mistake-free signal-caller to take the field.

When the National Team took the field, from the play-fake footwork drill to the end of the team period, Strong was clearly the best deep passer—both in the context of arm strength and accuracy—and showed the highest level of confidence and an unrivaled command over the offense that helped give him the edge. When it comes to “it” factor, one of the things we’ve talked about most this season is his deep ball down the sideline, something that was also unsurprisingly on display.

Strong had a touchdown pass down to the corner of the end zone and almost had another one to the right corner of the end zone, but former teammate Romeo Doubs appeared to lose the ball, so it fell incomplete. The few incompletions Strong did have on the day were typically the fault of the receiver, whether they slowed down on the route, dropped the ball, or made another error.

While Strong continued to check all of the boxes as a passer and continued to establish himself as the best in that aspect in this draft class, Strong also had moments when he evaded pressure well and he showed a more than competent ability to navigate the pocket and showed enough mobility within it. These are the things that are less talked about since Strong is classified as a pure pocket passer, something that carries an incorrect stigma that the quarterback is a statue and can be falsely viewed as negative with the mobile, running quarterback trend currently going on in the NFL.

And speaking of “negative,” one of the concerns surrounding Strong this season was a potential knee issue that could affect him badly looking at the long-term future. But those rumors have since become rather quiet, as Strong has been cleared by a Los Angeles Rams team doctor and his lower-body mechanics on Tuesday didn’t give any reason for concern, much less look like those of a quarterback hampered by an injury issue.

If Strong—who completed 70% of his passes for 4,186 yards with 36 touchdowns and eight interceptions this season—can maintain this level of play throughout the remainder of the Senior Bowl, expect him to see him appear as QB1 across multiple draft boards at the end of the showcase.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Strong / Howell are the best pure passers. If Strong’s knee is healthy he’s the meteoric riser. No question about it. I didn’t think there was a shot that that thing was going to be healthy but the reports today seem to indicate he looks great. 

Willis is the best pure athlete. 

You were ahead of the game on Howell. 

I wish we could watch Corral in the Senior Bowl so we'd have a direct comparison. 

You're dead on about Strong being a meteoric riser. I could see him going to us at 11 and not being a reach. He might actually be my QB1 at 11, depending on how the board falls. 

Willis makes me as nervous as ever. He never really produced a ton as a passer despite playing against inferior talent. As many 3 INT games as 300 yards passing games. Inaccurate at the Senior Bowl. I've said it before. Josh Allen has the potential to make GM's make mistakes. Drafting for traits is one thing, but traits without production or accuracy? At this point, I think Josh Allen is the only guy I can name who went from being very inaccurate at the college level, to very accurate at the pro level. One guy. He is more of a unicorn than Tom Brady. If we all aren't rushing to draft QB's in the 6th, we also shouldn't be rushing to draft a huge arm without accuracy. 

• Like 1

After watching the senior bowl recap it seems some there don’t think there is much to worry about with Picket’s hand size. Apparently Charles Davis has seen him practice with an NFL ball and have no issues with it and Dane Brugler thinks it’s just pre draft fluff. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

After watching the senior bowl recap it seems some there don’t think there is much to worry about with Picket’s hand size. Apparently Charles Davis has seen him practice with an NFL ball and have no issues with it and Dane Brugler thinks it’s just pre draft fluff. 

Again, if we draft a QB in the 1st, I'm  Pickett 1A and Howell 1B.  Strong fascinates me.  Things can change after watching more tape on Strong.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

You were ahead of the game on Howell. 

I wish we could watch Corral in the Senior Bowl so we'd have a direct comparison. 

You're dead on about Strong being a meteoric riser. I could see him going to us at 11 and not being a reach. He might actually be my QB1 at 11, depending on how the board falls. 

Willis makes me as nervous as ever. He never really produced a ton as a passer despite playing against inferior talent. As many 3 INT games as 300 yards passing games. Inaccurate at the Senior Bowl. I've said it before. Josh Allen has the potential to make GM's make mistakes. Drafting for traits is one thing, but traits without production or accuracy? At this point, I think Josh Allen is the only guy I can name who went from being very inaccurate at the college level, to very accurate at the pro level. One guy. He is more of a unicorn than Tom Brady. If we all aren't rushing to draft QB's in the 6th, we also shouldn't be rushing to draft a huge arm without accuracy. 

Yeah I acknowledge that Willis is really fun to watch and he clearly has elite athliticism and a huge arm, but he's just too inconsistent for my tastes...especially when you also consider that he was mostly going up again pretty subpar competition. I think in the NFL he may be relegated to more of a running QB role. But who knows, anything is possible.

Sounds like his Senior Bowl practice has been very up and down so far which, as other have said, reminds me of when I've watched his games. Will make an amazing play and then make a complete head scratching interception.

Josh Allen's completion percentage in college certainly left much to be desired but IMO he was a way more developed passer coming out than Willis is. I said not all that long ago (and was basically called insane for it) that Willis could fall to the 2nd and I still think he could...especially if he continues to look rocky at the Senior Bowl and Strong continues to rise.

If Strong keeps this level up and we're completely sure that his knee is fully good to go, then he'll probably take over my #3 spot.

Corral

Howell

Strong

Edited by mistertim

Josh Allen's college career didn't come close to touching Willis's.  His production was crap and his film was awful and, unlike Willis, he never elevated his team and beat anyone decent. Willis beat multiple ranked teams with absolute scrubs lined up in front of him.  Church boy losers who got abused by mid major group of five talent.  Saying Allen was a way better passer than him coming out is based on nothing.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

That hand size debate was an instance of really awful groupthink that generated a river of bad takes in this thread and around the internet.  It became the token skepticism with Pickett, and like I said before, irrelevancies which lead to bad evaluation like that is how the good team builders get bargains off of the bad ones.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Some rumors from Tony Pauline:

It's taken two years for this to play out, but I feel vindicated about my pre draft take on Becton now.  Fant is the platonic ideal of just a guy.  I didn't like Becton pre draft, and even though I saw the Jonathan Ogden like physical profile like everyone else, I didn't like him.  He was wildly overrated by dudes like Jeremiah, and by NFL teams as it turns out.  At the end of the day, they fell in love with his 40 and talked themselves into his film.  They were just wrong about that, his film wasn't very good.  He was a mammoth who threw little and unskilled ends around but always stood straight up and barely moved his feet, much less producing reps with NFL looking sets.  It was late day two or early day three film until he got measured and ran that 40, and then suddenly he was a top ten pick?  And let me also say that his current weight issues were the most predictable pre draft red flag ever.  Guys that big always struggle with their weight and only programs like New England are good at managing them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

This is going to be SO Washington if Strong goes from being our second round pick to top 10 and we miss out on him entirely!

I actually think this isn't a great way to look at it.

Let me explain why...

If Strong's knee wasn't up to snuff, a team wasn't going to rely on him to be their "guy" at any point.

On top of that, I'm of the opinion that if you think a QB is your guy you're going to find a way to get him in the first. Better chance of actually getting him rather than letting chance be your guide and you get the 5th year option. 

So if Strong WAS the guy at any point I doubt we take him in the second for the reasons listed above.

I think there are three QBs I prefer: Howell, Corral, Strong. 

Two I'd be okay with: Pickett, Willis.

And a bunch that don't move the needle at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That hand size debate was an instance of really awful groupthink that generated a river of bad takes in this thread and around the internet.  It became the token skepticism with Pickett, and like I said before, irrelevancies which lead to bad evaluation like that is how the good team builders get bargains off of the bad ones.

In general I love your stuff,  but I just don’t think this is true. If it was irrelevant than he wouldn’t have to wear 2 sets of gloves to grip a college ball. Picket’s need for 2 gloves has already told you it’s an issue. 

I have small hands. I can grip a football and throw it pretty well/far, but my hand size definitely affects my ability to grip and control the ball, affects my throwing if I’m trying to generate a lot of deep velocity and probably affects my placement. I measured my hands last night and they are 8.75”. It’s not some imaginary thing that that affects your ability to grip/throw a football. 

We will see how he does at the senior bowl and maybe he’s mostly fine and there is enough other stuff there to make him successful. I’m not saying he can’t succeed because of hand size. But to say it doesn’t matter, at all, seems silly.