Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 minute ago, woodpecker said:

Falcons will have Ridley back next year, and they just took Pitts first rd last year who is pretty much a receiver himself. Not saying they won’t take a receiver, but they have a lot of other holes to fill too, so I think the rumors may be a bit overblown.

Except imagine Jameson Williams + Calvin Ridley + Kyle Pitts for the #1 overall pick QB.

The Falcons might be that bad and taking Williams while trying to punt on 2022 is a VERY smart move. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Olave at #11 is going to be mildly frustrating.

I don't hate Olave, I just believe he could be had later in a trade down. Now, if that isn't possible and he is selected over Hamilton, Wilson, or Williams then, yeah, that will be frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Who needs possession underneath guys when you can rack up 20+ yard completions with all that speed? Besides, we have underneath guys in Thomas/Bates, Sims, and possibly McKissic as well. 

Is there some specific reason that London can't have 20+ yard completions? He's not Tyreek Hill, but he's not slow (insert @SoCalSkinssaying he probably runs a 5.8 40). You don't have to have 4.3 speed to be a great receiver and be a downfield threat. Plenty of PFF's top rated receivers from last season were 4.5 guys.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

Falcons will have Ridley back next year, and they just took Pitts first rd last year who is pretty much a receiver himself. Not saying they won’t take a receiver, but they have a lot of other holes to fill too, so I think the rumors may be a bit overblown.

I don't think taking an F TE last year influences them on WR this year.  As for Ridley, rumors are he has issues deeper than gambiling, and earliier this off season he asked for a trade, so i don't know if they feel totally comfortable that he's their future. 

The narrative on Atlanta is they'd like edge or WR.   And they need everything.  Usually rumors aren't purely based on mock drafters speculating about need in a vacuum without having an inside source telling them something.  Usually if you keep hearing a team linked to a spot and or a player -- its someone from that FO leaking it.  Could it be a false rumor leaked intentionally for months that they are targeting edge or WR but they really prefer O line or someone like Hamilton?  Maybe.  We are about to find out.  

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think taking an F TE last year influences them on WR this year.  As for Ridley, rumors are he has issues deeper than gambiling, and earliier this off season he asked for a trade, so i don't know if they feel totally comfortable that he's their future. 

The narrative on Atlanta is they'd like edge or WR.   And they need everything.  Usually rumors aren't purely based on mock drafters speculating about need in a vacuum without having an inside source telling them something.  Usually if you keep hearing a team linked to a spot and or a player -- its someone from that FO leaking it.  Could it be a false rumor leaked intentionally for months that they are targeting edge or WR but they really prefer O line or someone like Hamilton?  Maybe.  We are about to find out.  

I'm not sure why Davis isn't in play for them.  D-line is a huge hole.  With that said, I'm good with whatever they do.  If an edge is there at 11, Baltimore or Houston may want to trade up for the last elite one.  

I do wonder if LAC is willing to trade up to ensure they get Penning?  With no 2nd, I'd want LAC's 3rd+5th+2023 3rd

31 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Chad going on and on on twitter for months about Olave is the guy and how much he loves him when he watched him and he's better than Wilson, etc.  Yet struggled to even pronouce his last name on his podcast today.  Makes me wonder how much did he really watch.  😀

I like Olave, he's not my guy at 11, but if I had a guy that i loved and I watched a ton, I'd have their name down pretty easy based on hearing their name to death on the broadcasts I am watching.   Ryan seems like a likeable dude so am not picking on him but I found it ironic.  :ols:

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 2

I've been watching a lot of video of Olave and London this morning in preparation for one of them being selected at 11. I've never really been a big fan of either one at that pick, but it's starting to feel inevitable.

I think both are solid players and bring very different skill sets to the table. That being said, I really prefer London because of his ability to play both inside and out and his size will often create mismatches. He feels like a a better version of Michael Pittman.

Olave can be a great player, too. He looks like DeSean Jackson at times. Really my main issue with him is I feel like we already have an Olave on the team in Dyami Brown. It looks to me like they have very similar abilities/limitations. I'm certainly not about to write off last year's 3rd round pick especially after we added a QB who can push the ball down field. 

Jameson is still my WR1 and Wilson WR2. I'd take both of them over London and Olave. 

If the only one left at 11 is Olave, I'd be praying for a trade down or consider players at another position (i.e. Hamilton, Davis, McDuffie, etc.). 

Edited by duffy
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I'm not sure why Davis isn't in play for them.  D-line is a huge hole.  With that said, I'm good with whatever they do.  If an edge is there at 11, Baltimore or Houston may want to trade up for the last elite one.  

I do wonder if LAC is willing to trade up to ensure they get Penning?  With no 2nd, I'd want LAC's 3rd+5th+2023 3rd

Ideally, NO and LAC would bid up for Penning.  Though, if they fall back to 17, WR1-4 could be gone.  Maybe Lloyd is there and that’s who they really want.  (I don’t care what’s been reported).  I don’t think that compensation is good enough to miss out on their guys.

Just now, Ball Security said:

Ideally, NO and LAC would bid up for Penning.  Though, if they fall back to 17, WR1-4 could be gone.  Maybe Lloyd is there and that’s who they really want.  (I don’t care what’s been reported).  I don’t think that compensation is good enough to miss out on their guys.

I'd take Dotson at 17 if forced to (seems as if we don't like Lloyd).  However, I'd trade down again if possible and take RB1 at the end of the first.

2 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I'd take Dotson at 17 if forced to (seems as if we don't like Lloyd).  However, I'd trade down again if possible and take RB1 at the end of the first.

I read that as DoCtson and was thoroughly triggered by it. Still get shivers of horror from that draft.

• Haha 1

My gut is telling me on Draft Day that the interest in Olave is because they feel good about him being available in the 13-25 pick range. I think they take the best package deal of picks with confidence that Olave will be available, and if he isn't I feel they have a very similar grade on Jahan Dotson which makes them even more comfortable with a trade back.

Personally I'd prefer as deep of a trade back as possible, because this team is better with a WR from the 2nd grouping + Breece Hall/Kenneth Walker than it is with a WR at 11 + whoever is available at 47. With no picks between 11 and 47 we are almost guaranteed to miss out on top RB talent. In that case, I hope the target would be Damien Pierce later.

What baffles me is why we seem to be prioritizing guys like Olave and Dotson instead of bigger WRs like Watson and Pierce. Maybe they are. We did meet with Watson on three separate occasions and seem to really like all the guys coming out of the Cincy program. (Pierce, Ford, Sanders, Beavers)

With how strong this draft is, I agree with JP Finlay. I view this draft as having a TON of B+/A- players in the top 100, and it seems the team agrees. We are a better roster drafting 3 or 4 B+ players than we are drafting ONE at pick 11 and 47.

I hope we trade with GB, KC, or Detroit as my dream scenario. Two late 1sts + a 3rd. But would be just as happy as a slight trade down to the 15 range and adding a 3rd. If we go the latter route I think we double down and trade back from 47 as well, but I don't like that option as much as plan A.

I will cry if we stand pat at 11 and take Olave.

Drake London or a fallen top-3 OT is the only players I'd be okay with staying at 11 for. Trading down is a better play than all other options, including Hamilton.

Edited by Forever A Redskin
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, Forever A Redskin said:

My gut is telling me on Draft Day that the interest in Olave is because they feel good about him being available in the 13-25 pick range. I think they take the best package deal of picks with confidence that Olave will be available, and if he isn't I feel they have a very similar grade on Jahan Dotson which makes them even more comfortable with a trade back.

Personally I'd prefer as deep of a trade back as possible, because this team is better with a WR from the 2nd grouping + Breece Hall/Kenneth Walker than it is with a WR at 11 + whoever is available at 47. With no picks between 11 and 47 we are almost guaranteed to miss out on top RB talent. In that case, I hope the target would be Damien Pierce later.

What baffles me is why we seem to be prioritizing guys like Olave and Dotson instead of bigger WRs like Watson and Pierce. Maybe they are. We did meet with Watson on three separate occasions and seem to really like all the guys coming out of the Cincy program. (Pierce, Ford, Sanders, Beavers)

With how strong this draft is, I agree with JP Finlay. I view this draft as having a TON of B+/A- players in the top 100, and it seems the team agrees. We are a better roster drafting 3 or 4 B+ players than we are drafting ONE at pick 11 and 47.

I hope we trade with GB, KC, or Detroit as my dream scenario. Two late 1sts + a 3rd. But would be just as happy as a slight trade down to the 15 range and adding a 3rd. If we go the latter route I think we double down and trade back from 47 as well, but I don't like that option as much as plan A.

I will cry if we stand pat at 11 and take Olave.

I think we may draft Penning then trade him for Olave and picks.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

If all this Daron Payne on his way out stuff is true, I would absolutely love to add Jordan Davis. I mean, they almost have to find another impact DL now that they've lost Tim and Matt. I don't understand why even just one of them wasn't resigned. Yeah, they could let Daron play out this year and walk, but we'll be back in the same spot next year having to make a decision on whether to keep him around or not. At least you know he'd be playing his ass off for a big contract somewhere. 

Perhaps they have a plan to keep the premium position guys on the Edge and their locker room leader in Allen long term, but "draft and let walk" everyone else on the DL? 

Whatever the reason for these moves, Davis would be an upgrade to Payne who I'd certainly want dealt if we took the Bulldog at 11. This keeps the DL somewhat intact for the next few years. Matt and Tim were mid-round picks. Hopefully they'll have success in finding others like them to fill out the depth. 

12 minutes ago, duffy said:

Really my main issue with him is I feel like we already have an Olave on the team in Dyami Brown. It looks to me like they have very similar abilities/limitations. 

Olave almost couldn’t be any more different from Dyami as a prospect. The main draw with Olave is that in addition to being fast, he’s EXTREMELY polished as a route runner,

the best route runner in this draft. He’s a plug and play guy that will be in the right place at the right time, and can beat man coverage, zone coverage, and has been great beating press coverage. 

Dyami basically just ran the go route in college. That’s not a big exaggeration. He came in super raw in terms of his route tree and still has proven basically nothing at the NFL level. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Anyone have any idea why the Saints gave up 2023 draft capital for a mid-1st 2022?

April Fool's prank gone wrong.

Someone switched their calendars around so they thought this year was 2023 and ****ed it up.

• Haha 1

I will reiterate something that I've said many times in this thread. You only take a WR with a borderline top 10 pick if he has WR1 upside. Drafting a guy like Olave who is a WR2 at best netting you 600-700 yards a season is not a good use of the 11th overall pick. There is no Jamarr Chase or Justin Jefferson this year, period.

Trading down and still getting a mighty fine WR2 (Olave/Dotson/insert name here) PLUS your heir apparent at RB1 (Kenneth Walker/Breece Hall) makes you a way better offense than just Olave at 11.

We can't stay at 11 unless it's London. We just can't.

People are understandably risk-adverse with this organization. But the truth is we have drafted well in recent years. This is the best draft in NFL history as far as how deep it is. Trust our scouts and give them the draft capital needed to make this a turning point season for this franchise. That's what this draft could do for us.

Mark my words, the Ravens will be contenders for the next 4 years due to the amount of mid rounders they have this year.

Edited by Forever A Redskin
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

By the way, my "guys" for this draft (I don't have a ton):

Drake London

Sam Howell

Velus Jones

Calvin Austin III

Jahan Dotson (recent liking)

Jermaine Johnson

Sam Williams

George Karlaftis