Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Sure. But you better not make a bad deal just to get more picks within that range. Giving up a 1st round pick to get 2 2nd round guys and 2 3rd round guys makes my head hurt.

This is where we see how good our FO truly is.  Do they listen to Eric Stokes and Tribble?  Love me some picks and see what they can do with them.  The did well in the back end of the draft last year.  I think they can do well again in the middle and end if they trade back.  JMO.  :)  

• Like 1

As far as top 100, I don't know how to keep the numbers in order on excel without doing it up and down so forgive me for the space this consumes.

I messed with a lot over time, so i am not 100% sure i didn't repeat a player but on first glance i don't think i did.  I feel less confident in this than my position rankings because I delved much more in some spots over others so that biases my rankings for sure

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 9.58.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 9.59.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 9.59.25 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

This is where we see how good our FO truly is.  Do they listen to Eric Stokes and Tribble?  Love me some picks and see what they can do with them.  The did well in the back end of the draft last year.  I think they can do well again in the middle and end if they trade back.  JMO.  :)  

You're higher on that than I am. I think there are good players in that range. But not necessarily great. We usually do well with getting good players. We don't do well with great. See: Kerrigan vs. Watt (different regime, though, to be fair). 

We need great.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Here's how I think it will go.

1.11: Chris Olave, WR Ohio State

2.47: Christian Harris, LB Alabama

*Trade 4 and 7 for a 4/5/6

4.130: Dameon Pierce, RB Florida

5.168: Jaylen Wydermeyer, TE Texas A&M

6.185: Tycen Anderson, S Toledo

6.189: Luke Goedeke, G Central Michigan

7.230: Derion Kendrick, CB Georgia

I don't really like this draft outcome at all, but I can definitely see it playing out that way.  This feels painfully realistic, and the only choice that would constitute a value pick for me would be Goedeke at 189.

Should we make a new thread to put our position rankings and big boards in?  I feel like they're going to get buried in the flow of this thread, but I don't necessarily want to fill up the Stadium with variations on the draft thread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

I don't really like this draft outcome at all, but I can definitely see it playing out that way.  This feels painfully realistic, and the only choice that would constitute a value pick for me would be Goedeke at 189.

Harris, Pearce, Goedeke would all be value imo. I overall like that draft class. Anderson is meh. Kendrick is meh. Wydermyer is a major question mark. Top 3 picks and Goedeke I can get behind. 

6 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah, it's solid IMO. I think Pierce and Wydermeyer have big upside from where they're drafted, Olave would be an instant impact on offense. On defense, we'd still lack secondary depth and impact, but my hope coming out of this type of draft is you are either REALLY high on Derrick Forrest (I was after last year's draft) or Tycen Anderson ... or you plan to bring in a Mathieu/Collins type. 

You can't fill all the holes, especially if/when we don't trade off the 2 top picks that could get us the most return in terms of early picks and number of picks. 

Offense would be pretty set. We'd lack some depth at OT but that's fine, Charles could be a swing guy (did we ever bring back Corn Lucas?)

If you told me this time last year that we'd draft Jamin Davis but also draft Christian Harris in 2022 I would have A) though it would have been with a high 1st and b) really excited because I loved Harris going into the college season. So having a Jamin - Harris - Holcomb LB core behind our starting DL (for now) really does give us some flexibility on the back-end. 

On offense, Wydermeyer has massive upside but also the potential to be out of the league in a year. For a 5th, the upside seems worth it to me at a position we might need some immediate and longterm support at. Pierce at RB would be dynamic, I think he could quikcly overtake Gibson as the Rb1. 

Anyway, it's not a perfect draft, but I'd be really excited if this is how we came out of it. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Speed is the name of the game now. It also acts as a force multiplier of sorts. The more you add, the more impactful each speed guy becomes.

Imagine drafting Olave and trotting a lineup of him, McLaurin, and Samuel at WR. Could throw Gibson in at RB/WR hybrid as well. That's FOUR guys with 4.3 ish speed. Could even put Brown out there who is also a burner. With a QB in Wentz who is still one of the best deep ball passers in the league. 

Who needs possession underneath guys when you can rack up 20+ yard completions with all that speed? Besides, we have underneath guys in Thomas/Bates, Sims, and possibly McKissic as well. 

I disagree, kinda. I think Speed is important but so is catching the ball. I think thats more important than speed. We can argue all day about Doctson being a bust but I still despise Cousins for his failure because Cousins wouldn't throw it to him unless he was OPEN. Sure he had that miss against (the raiders?) but we saw last year that Heinicke would throw it to WRS (maybe too often) and get lucky if they weren't picked, but it helped move our offense. 

Speed is important but catching is still the number one ability for a WR and thats why I've been calling for Sims to get playing time above Brown. one catches one doesn't. 

44 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Different note: People think Buffalo is going to go corner from what I hear.

But, while I see that as a possibility, especially if Booth/McCreary are there... I think they are a VERY serious threat to take Breece Hall.

That Bills offense with a legit backfield threat would be killer

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As far as top 100, I don't know how to keep the numbers in order on excel without doing it up and down so forgive me for the space this consumes.

I messed with a lot over time, so i am not 100% sure i didn't repeat a player but on first glance i don't think i did.  I feel less confident in this than my position rankings because I delved much more in some spots over others so that biases my rankings for sure

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 9.58.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 9.59.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 9.59.25 AM.png

James Cook not in the top 100?      You also have Abraham Lucas twice (71 and 84).   unless there are two Abraham Lucas?     Do the smart thing and take out one Lucas and replace them with a James Cook.  :)  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

GREAT MOVIE!! I watched it last night to get me pumped up for today and I’m actually lying because that movie sucked ass.

The movie isn't realistic other than a bunch of fans having meltdowns outside teams headquarters.  Haha. 

But it is real draft day and that is exciting.   At least until they have picked and we have our meltdowns.   Haha. 

You all make some very convincing arguments, but I still can’t get on board with taking a receiver in the first round. I just don’t think a number two WR option, getting five or six targets a game, is going to move the needle as much as people think. If this was fantasy football, then hell yeah stack the receivers! Give me Hamilton or one of the top three OT. We’ve invested quite a bit through free agency and draft picks at the receiver position the last few years, so it seems prudent to fill a hole elsewhere and give those guys (Samuel, Brown, Sims, etc) this year to prove themselves. None of them has even had a real opportunity yet due to health or poor QB play. And if they don’t step up, there will be plenty of receivers available in the draft again next year. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

You're higher on that than I am. I think there are good players in that range. But not necessarily great. We usually do well with getting good players. We don't do well with great. See: Kerrigan vs. Watt (different regime, though, to be fair). 

We need great.

True but if they trade down deep into the 1st and maybe again a bit in the 2nd and get a plethora of picks, I am eager to see what they can do.  Just me.  I've been on the London at #11 train for a while though @KDawg and hope that's the pick. :) 

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yup. I think the first time I watched him I was just film tired. I didn't watch him close enough.

He's smooth and he breaks tackles and he possesses a very similar skill set to Olave, but he gets the extra yards after contact.

Biggest concern with him is that he fights for yards so hard I wonder if he's going to be a guy that is always dinged up. But I love that style and mentality. 

He has great hands, feisty player. And as I mentioned i like how he comes off in the Hey Rookie series I've been watching.

I think I have a slight preference for Olave but by a mile i'd rather trade down and take Dotson and add a pick versus taking Olave at 11. 

• Like 3

Just now, woodpecker said:

You all make some very convincing arguments, but I still can’t get on board with taking a receiver in the first round. I just don’t think a number two WR option, getting five or six targets a game, is going to move the needle as much as people think. If this was fantasy football, then hell yeah stack the receivers! Give me Hamilton or one of the top three OT. We’ve invested quite a bit through free agency and draft picks at the receiver position the last few years, so it seems prudent to fill a hole elsewhere and give those guys (Samuel, Brown, Sims, etc) this year to prove themselves. None of them has even had a real opportunity yet due to health or poor QB play. And if they don’t step up, there will be plenty of receivers available in the draft again next year. 

6 targets a game with a 66% catch rate is 4 catches. If you average 8 yards a reception that's 32 yards a game. If you compute that over a full season its 68 receptions 544 yards.

And you are more likely to get more production from one of those guys than less. So that is likely the floor of season 1. Floor. 

image.png.395db1008af7c9921abed745b82175e1.png

Last season stats.

I rest my case, your honor. 

Just now, CommDownMan said:

If Buffalo gets a 2nd round RB we like all because they didn't get McKissic, what a weird karmic Redskiny thing that would be. 

True but Washington has many needs and not resigning Mck would have led to yet another hole

6 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

James Cook not in the top 100?      You also have Abraham Lucas twice (71 and 84).   unless there are two Abraham Lucas?     Do the smart thing and take out one Lucas and replace them with a James Cook.  :)  

Thanks as I mentioned I wondered if I doubled up on a player, I kept moving players around on and off and I suspected I might screw up something while doing that. 

Actually it would be ironically either Allegier or Cook for the last spot, I gave them the same grade.   Those are the two RBs that didn't make my list but were the next ones up. 

5 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

If Buffalo gets a 2nd round RB we like all because they didn't get McKissic, what a weird karmic Redskiny thing that would be. 

Ditto swapping picks in the 2nd round with the Colts.  I think that was a shrewd move by Ballard.  It wouldn't shock me if it takes us just out of Walker's range, just like the year we missed out on Dalvin Cook.